PDA

View Full Version : Methods for hunting coyotes?

Pemby_mess
01-13-2017, 11:14 AM
So I was down in the city for a few days and the chicken coop got left open one night. Big slaughter. Looked to be two or three coyotes got in and took 9 birds. It looked like the roosters put up one he'll of a fight, but the dogs got the best of them.

Now, I can still hear them on the hill up above the property. What's the best way to lure them back in before it warms up again?

I would like to feed them to the surviving chickens if possible. :-)

sausage lover
01-13-2017, 12:23 PM
If you can shoot on your property I would use a meatsicle and calls! Bait will bring them closer and make them hang around and calls to get them charging in.

Pemby_mess
01-13-2017, 01:00 PM
I've got one of the left over chickens they've left hanging from a low branch in the orchard. Is that too obvious? Are they smart enough to know I'm baiting them?

what kind of call, should work best?

thanks

MOOSE MILK
01-13-2017, 02:14 PM
They have a taste for chickens why not let them think you got a new batch of hens and use chicken skwwwaaaks?

Dannybuoy
01-13-2017, 02:16 PM
If you don't have neighbour dogs to worry about , you could also set some snares ? Otherwise they will be back .... make the bait so that they cant just snatch it and run away .... if they have to dig or ? . First light is usually best time .

Bonz
01-13-2017, 02:24 PM
id tie it right to the tree, make sure they have to fight to get it off and run, or they will and you wont even get a shot off.

Bonz
01-13-2017, 02:27 PM
this brought in some cats, tree got shreded from them working at it to take off with it

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/12342400_10153220855700069_45404074365179874_n.jpg

Pemby_mess
01-13-2017, 02:34 PM
How'd you affix that carcase like that?

Bonz
01-13-2017, 02:40 PM
tie wire/bailing wire. once we had the cats come in, that carcass was taken down and a trap was set, and again, tied off some beaver in the trap with tie wire, bailing wire.
seem to hold pretty good from the torn up tree..lol,

Ride Red
01-13-2017, 03:59 PM
I've got one of the left over chickens they've left hanging from a low branch in the orchard. Is that too obvious? Are they smart enough to know I'm baiting them?

thanks

You could buy an electronic caller from any sports store and either do territorial howls or rabbit in distress.(that's how I hunt coyotes) You could also buy a few cheap driveway alarms and put them around the chicken coup to let you know something is back around.

Pemby_mess
01-13-2017, 04:02 PM
tie wire/bailing wire. once we had the cats come in, that carcass was taken down and a trap was set, and again, tied off some beaver in the trap with tie wire, bailing wire.
seem to hold pretty good from the torn up tree..lol,

Nice, I'll try something like that for the bait.

Pemby_mess
01-13-2017, 04:04 PM
You could buy an electronic caller from any sports store and either do territorial howls or rabbit in distress.(that's how I hunt coyotes) You could also buy a few cheap driveway alarms and put them around the chicken coup to let you know something is back around.

thats a good idea wrt to the driveway alarms. I'm going to try that, thanks

sausage lover
01-13-2017, 05:55 PM

thanks Take dead chicken and random meat scraps,fat,bones,stinky salmon roe etc. put in 20 L pail fill with hot water and let sit until cool then freeze.This will keep them coming back until you kill them all! Take baitsicle out of freezer and let thaw for a couple hours to free the bucket put at your spot and hunt hard on it! If the baits there the yotes will be to but it might take some rabbit distress calls to get em outa the treeline.Hope this helps as it worked well for me last season:grin:

Pemby_mess
01-13-2017, 06:54 PM
Take dead chicken and random meat scraps,fat,bones,stinky salmon roe etc. put in 20 L pail fill with hot water and let sit until cool then freeze.This will keep them coming back until you kill them all! Take baitsicle out of freezer and let thaw for a couple hours to free the bucket put at your spot and hunt hard on it! If the baits there the yotes will be to but it might take some rabbit distress calls to get em outa the treeline.Hope this helps as it worked well for me last season:grin:

Awesome! I can make that work.

Wild one
01-13-2017, 07:08 PM
If you want to make it personal hunt them try calling/baiting as others posted

If you really want the coyotes dealt with find a lisenced trapper. A good trapper will beat a hunter hands down traps work 24/7 and you can set multiple locations at once

I am a hunter/trapper and if I have a pest problem I go straight to trapping for a reason

Trigger Happy
01-13-2017, 07:27 PM
Pm me ill come sit there for days till the howling stops :)

todbartell
01-13-2017, 09:10 PM
Not sure how your property layout is and how it would work with calling, possible to post a pic of a google maps screenshot of the place?> Might help with advice on setting up

boxhitch
01-15-2017, 10:52 AM
Do it right the first time or it just gets harder
Scare them once in daylight and you will never see them coming again, but they may be coming

Just getting to the best time of year for yote calling, they rut hard

Pemby_mess
01-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Do it right the first time or it just gets harder
Scare them once in daylight and you will never see them coming again, but they may be coming

Just getting to the best time of year for yote calling, they rut hard

Learning that the hard way. I think I scared them off when I went out to check the bait yesterday afternoon. Tracks everywhere, coming in from a lower bench. Nothing last night or this morning. Don't hear them anymore, and now have warm weather coming in to melt my baitsicle.

Might have to invite a neighbor in to show me how to call for these f@(%ers. When is Coyote season?

Dannybuoy
01-15-2017, 11:25 AM
they usually start running the beginning of Feb .

Pemby_mess
01-15-2017, 11:38 AM
Awesome, thanks. What range can I be effective at with a .22 rimfire?

Dannybuoy
01-15-2017, 11:45 AM
Awesome, thanks. What range can I be effective at with a .22 rimfire?

No idea .... with a .22 , all you can hope for is a brain shot or put one in the lungs and it might take off and die a slow death if you get both lungs ...
they are pretty tough , these were with 25-06 . I personally wouldn't use a .22
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii308/Dannybuoy_bucket/3a641967-df1e-4197-a6ad-16acf48c2a46.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/Dannybuoy_bucket/media/3a641967-df1e-4197-a6ad-16acf48c2a46.jpg.html)

Pemby_mess
01-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Oh, that's good to know. I was going out there with my .22. I'll take a centre fire then. Your photos are what I'm looking to reproduce. lol.

Dannybuoy
01-15-2017, 11:57 AM
Tan them and make a rug !

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii308/Dannybuoy_bucket/DSCF0585.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/Dannybuoy_bucket/media/DSCF0585.jpg.html)

Dannybuoy
01-15-2017, 12:04 PM
I would add that during the cold snaps they also have to eat a lot more to survive so food based calls would probably be effective as well .

Ride Red
01-15-2017, 12:09 PM
Learning that the hard way. I think I scared them off when I went out to check the bait yesterday afternoon. Tracks everywhere, coming in from a lower bench. Nothing last night or this morning. Don't hear them anymore, and now have warm weather coming in to melt my baitsicle.

Might have to invite a neighbor in to show me how to call for these f@(%ers. When is Coyote season?

I doubt you scared them off as coyotes have a large territory to protect and will be back around for another easy meal. Stay on them and you will succeed.

Bonz
01-15-2017, 12:10 PM
when i have them come around my cams its about a weekly cykle. theyll be back