PDA

View Full Version : New Sone Glacier Xcurve Frame

Weatherby Fan
01-12-2017, 07:03 PM
https://youtu.be/7HVwdZ82qRM

Lastcar
01-12-2017, 07:38 PM
Ordered. With new Sky 5900 bag and hip pockets.

Sounds like a lot of guys who were doing the testing were pretty pleased.

Not sure you ever otherwise from testers, assumedly the things they don't like gets fixed.

Will post up pics when I get it next week.

Weatherby Fan
01-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Ordered. With new Sky 5900 bag and hip pockets.

Sounds like a lot of guys who were doing the testing were pretty pleased.

Not sure you ever otherwise from testers, assumedly the things they don't like gets fixed.

Will post up pics when I get it next week.

Im looking forward to the pictures !

Hombre
01-12-2017, 08:38 PM
Good to see some fellow Rokslide members here:razz:

twoSevenO
01-12-2017, 08:57 PM
that frame, plus one of their bags is a $900 CAD pack .... $900 for a pack? Are they for real?

They even charge you extra for the bag without the lid? That some messed up sh** yo!

Lastcar
01-12-2017, 09:58 PM
that frame, plus one of their bags is a $900 CAD pack .... $900 for a pack? Are they for real?

They even charge you extra for the bag without the lid? That some messed up sh** yo!

They don't show it on the website but they come with little tiny helicopters that carry your pack when no one is looking. So it is kinda worth it.

Lastcar
01-12-2017, 10:20 PM
I think you may have had sticker shock (as did I, and I ordered the damn thing). They charge less for the bag without the lid.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee3/Lastcar_photos/2017-01-12_2115_1.png

But absolutely right, it is a big ticket item for sure. Exchange certainly doesn't help.

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 12:03 AM
They don't show it on the website but they come with little tiny helicopters that carry your pack when no one is looking. So it is kinda worth it.

oh, well damn ... here i thought it was just some overpriced backpack Thanks for pointing that out. Makes sense. Drones are all the rage now. Glad they come with packs now.

SR80
01-13-2017, 07:23 AM
oh, well damn ... here i thought it was just some overpriced backpack Thanks for pointing that out. Makes sense. Drones are all the rage now. Glad they come with packs now.

You can't put a price on quality USA made gear, with excellent customer service! :-P

Hunter gatherer
01-13-2017, 07:48 AM
Too much,maybe it comes with a happy ending

dereke
01-13-2017, 08:36 AM
You can't put a price on quality USA made gear, with excellent customer service! :-P

^^^This. SG's customer service is the best I've dealt with. No duties to worry about either.

Weatherby Fan
01-13-2017, 08:45 AM

Probably some "OLD GUYS" sitting around making packs trying to pad their retirement...........quality products will last you a lifetime though !

BgBlkDg
01-13-2017, 08:53 AM
I spoke with them back in 2015, very nice, helpful and enthusiastic guys. I seriously considered one of their packs, but, went with my SO Divide and customized an older, mint Dana Design Terraframe, as I knew these work for me.

This frame seems *inspired* by Patrick Smiths Kifaru frames as do some of the other new packs on the market. If, I were younger, I might try one as spending the coin to obtain the BEST pack for YOU, as with boots, is money well spent, IMHO.

SO works SO well for ME, that I wont now try another pack, but, we have options now that we could not have dreamed of when I started.

Andrewh
01-13-2017, 09:25 AM

Well quality products cost money just like anything else. Can't really compare a pair of swaro binos to your entry level nikons and the same thing can be said about packs. It is just harder to wrap your mind around when you think that it is just a frame and some 500 cordura fabric like 'other' packs that are a lot less expensive. Same argument can be made about how all binos have just plastic with some glass and a little metal but this is clearly not the case.

It is how the item is designed, the quality of the frames and the function of the product in the field that make it worth the money.

I love my SG pack and have no intentions of jumping ship.

albravo2
01-13-2017, 09:31 AM
I'm with Dewey on this. A good pack and a good pair of boots are worth the money.

That said, spending more money doesn't guarantee a good fit. I really tried to love my Mystery Ranch pack but couldn't get the damn thing to fit me comfortably.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the SG packs after guys have some time under them.

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Well quality products cost money just like anything else. Can't really compare a pair of swaro binos to your entry level nikons and the same thing can be said about packs. It is just harder to wrap your mind around when you think that it is just a frame and some 500 cordura fabric like 'other' packs that are a lot less expensive. Same argument can be made about how all binos have just plastic with some glass and a little metal but this is clearly not the case.

It is how the item is designed, the quality of the frames and the function of the product in the field that make it worth the money.

I love my SG pack and have no intentions of jumping ship.

This is BS. There are a lot of products out there that are being sold for way more than they are actually worth. Look at most luxury cars or designer clothes. While i don't doubt that this is an EXCELLENT pack, the point here is that there are other excellent packs that DON"T cost $900.

Comparing Swaro to a Tasco is no contest. Of course this $900 pack is better than an entry level Cabela's pack for $120. But is it that much better than mystery ranch or badlands to warrant an extra $400 cost on top? I don't think so.

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 12:57 PM

uhh ... yeah, you can. As stated above, you can get an excellent Mystery ranch pack for a few hundred less than this $900 mountain-gucci set up.

BgBlkDg
01-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Bud, NO offence, but, I have had five complete Bozeman-made MR packs and even more original Dana Design packs from 1978 to now.

My complete NICE rigs, two of them, sold here recently and my BDSD, sold here 2-3 years ago, ALL cost MORE than $900.00 CDN, landed in Vancity.

I have had two BL packs, one probably the first Utah-made BL 4500 ever sent to BC, FINE pack, stolen at Christmas, 1999 and even it was NOT up to MR-Bozo quality.

You should be able to get an SO REvolution rig for about $750-800 and it IS WORTH IT, and NO Cabalas or other such entry level pack comes even close.

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 01:12 PM
Bud, NO offence, but, I have had five complete Bozeman-made MR packs and even more original Dana Design packs from 1978 to now.

My complete NICE rigs, two of them, sold here recently and my BDSD, sold here 2-3 years ago, ALL cost MORE than $900.00 CDN, landed in Vancity.

I have had two BL packs, one probably the first Utah-made BL 4500 ever sent to BC, FINE pack, stolen at Christmas, 1999 and even it was NOT up to MR-Bozo quality.

You should be able to get an SO REvolution rig for about $750-800 and it IS WORTH IT, and NO Cabalas or other such entry level pack comes even close.

Maybe you just overpaid? You can get a Mystery Ranch pack for under $600 from Grouse River in Kelowna on sale. Even now on their site they are just over $600. Still a far cry from $900 (and the $900 does not include potential taxes they could charge you for over the border, which they probably would for an item of that value!).

BgBlkDg
01-13-2017, 01:21 PM
READ more carefully, I bought mine when Dana, was running MR in Bozeman and was among their best customers as their then sales manager, Andrew Crow, told a guy I know there. I have used Dana's packs for almost 40 years and worked in the business, I would NOT *overpay*.

Now, after some issues with a defective product last August, I will never deal with GR and IF I were to buy another MR I KNOW where to get deals on gear that might amaze you.

That said, after inspection, I do not consider the current off-shore MR packs equal to the Bozo-made ones. So, call MR and order a Bozo-made one which they were offering and pay the price landed here and then get back to me.

JMHO, use whatever you prefer, I have no problem spending big coin on gear, but, detest spending my pensions on trendy electronics, trailcams and so on, YMMV. :)

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 01:27 PM
READ more carefully, I bought mine when Dana, was running MR in Bozeman and was among their best customers as their then sales manager, Andrew Crow, told a guy I know there. I have used Dana's packs for almost 40 years and worked in the business, I would NOT *overpay*.

Now, after some issues with a defective product last August, I will never deal with GR and IF I were to buy another MR I KNOW where to get deals on gear that might amaze you.

That said, after inspection, I do not consider the current off-shore MR packs equal to the Bozo-made ones. So, call MR and order a Bozo-made one which they were offering and pay the price landed here and then get back to me.

JMHO, use whatever you prefer, I have no problem spending big coin on gear, but, detest spending my pensions on trendy electronics, trailcams and so on, YMMV. :)

OK. Point taken. I don't mind buying off-shore made products from a company that has decent quality control and warranty. That being said, i'm in the market for a new pack. I'll take any off-shore mystery ranch that you have off your hands, no problem. Let me alleviate you of that headache. You can PM me with what you have! :)

BgBlkDg
01-13-2017, 01:32 PM
I AM considering selling my last Bozo-MR pack, but, what do you want in size and what is your waist and chest?

hookedonblacktails
01-13-2017, 01:38 PM
This is BS. There are a lot of products out there that are being sold for way more than they are actually worth. Look at most luxury cars or designer clothes. While i don't doubt that this is an EXCELLENT pack, the point here is that there are other excellent packs that DON"T cost $900.

Comparing Swaro to a Tasco is no contest. Of course this $900 pack is better than an entry level Cabela's pack for $120. But is it that much better than mystery ranch or badlands to warrant an extra $400 cost on top? I don't think so.

Can you provide us with some links to some other packs that have a 130lb load rating and weigh 5lbs or less and have the volume of the larger SG packs? I too like to save money when I can.

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 01:42 PM
6'4" 210lb .... 43" chest, pant size 34. Let me know what you have and most importantly price :D

Would like something with a meat shelf and nice, sturdy hipbelt and shoulder harness. Don't care too much about pockets and all that.

Andrewh
01-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Can you provide us with some links to some other packs that have a 130lb load rating and weigh 5lbs or less and have the volume of the larger SG packs? I too like to save money when I can.

I hear crickets from twoSeven0...

I would love for him to pull out some examples and backup what he says.

I echo you BgBlkDg regarding the cheaper price-point for MR bags and them being made overseas, people are just too fast to call BS on a situation just as twoSeven0 did in this thread without knowing actual FACTS.

Bottom line - a quality AND lightweight pack will cost you $, end of story.

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 01:52 PM

Can you provide me with some links that show a SG pack and frame come in at under 5lb? Because, i doubt a complete pack comes in at under 5lb.

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 02:02 PM
I hear crickets from twoSeven0...

I would love for him to pull out some examples and backup what he says.

I echo you BgBlkDg regarding the cheaper price-point for MR bags and them being made overseas, people are just too fast to call BS on a situation just as twoSeven0 did in this thread without knowing actual FACTS.

Bottom line - a quality AND lightweight pack will cost you $, end of story.

You keep talking as if I called the SG a crappy pack ....

Andrewh
01-13-2017, 02:04 PM
Can you provide me with some links that show a SG pack and frame come in at under 5lb? Because, i doubt a complete pack comes in at under 5lb.

For sky archer 6200
-6200 mode weight - 4.55 Lbs without load shelf, 4.68 Lbs with load shelf (3 pc belt)
- 4000 Bivy mode weight - 4.18 Lbs without load shelf, 4.31 Lbs with load shelf (3 pc belt)
-150+ pound load rating (check Design page for load rating info)
-6200 cubic main bag and lid
-4000 cubic inches in bivy mode (no lid, compressed)

For sky Talus 6900
-6900 mode weight – 4.92 Lbs without load shelf, 5.05 Lbs with load shelf (3 pc belt)
- 4000 Bivy mode weight – 4.55 Lbs without load shelf, 4.68 with load shelf (3 pc belt)
-150+ pound load rating (check Design page for load rating info)
-6400 cubic main bag and 500 cubic lid
-4000 cubic inches in bivy mode (no lid, compressed)

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 02:09 PM
^ And where's the weight of the frame?

Xcurve Frame + 3 Piece Medium Belt + Sky 7400 bag ($664.00)

Andrewh
01-13-2017, 02:15 PM
^ And where's the weight of the frame?

It will be similar to the above specs as those are with the older frame (heavier) but smaller bag.

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 02:19 PM
It will be similar to the above specs as those are with the older frame (heavier) but smaller bag.

I don't think you are correct. Even this bag lists the three components separately, which leads me to believe the numbers you quoted above are them listing the bag and hipbelt only and leaving out the weight of the frame (Perhaps because you can have several choices of frames?). In any case, i think you need to add the weight of the frame to the quoted numbers above which gives you 6-7lb for a complete pack, which is more realistic.
Anyone here actually own this pack that can confirm? Their website is not making it clear.

Here's the sky archer 6200 listing you provided

Krux Frame + 3 Piece Medium Belt + Sky Archer bag ($624.00)

Andrewh
01-13-2017, 02:21 PM
Those are the total weights, under 5lbs each

I have the Talus 6900 and had the 6200.

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Those are the total weights, under 5lbs each

I have the Talus 6900 and had the 6200.

ok, if that includes the frame then the weight really is impressive. They should make that more clear on their site by stating what frame is included in the weight rating.

ljalberta
01-13-2017, 03:19 PM
It includes the frame weight. Kurt mentioned you add another 8 ounces for the X-curve over the Krux. I run a Kifaru that came in close to the same price as these SG setups. While it certainly doesn't make the weight in the pack any lighter, it absolutely makes it significantly more bearable and comfortable. Heavy packs still suck, the legs still feel like jello after, but they're worth every penny to me. Prior, I was using Osprey packs, which are great for backpacking, or lugging a load shorter distances, but I'll never go back after experiencing the difference a well-built pack makes. If the MR fits you for $400.00 less and the 2lbs difference isn't worth the money, then you're going to be absolutely satisfied. For others, the fit, build quality, and weight of the MR's might not be up to snuff. Everyone's different.

I gotta say this new frame/5900 bag combo is tempting at 2lbs lighter than my current setup. Fantastic looking design.

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 03:25 PM
If the MR fits you for $400.00 less and the 2lbs difference isn't worth the money, then you're going to be absolutely satisfied.

this is what it comes down to .... you MUST draw a line somewhere. For me, a $900 pack is well beyond that line.

Lets say you buy top of the line everything .... Swaro spotter for ex. Leica introduces something the world has never seen. Lighter, brighter etc etc .... but costs $10,000. Do you just upgrade because it is clearly better? Probably not. You draw a line at $3k for a spotting scope. Everyone draws a line somewhere.

Andrewh
01-13-2017, 03:39 PM
Buy once - Cry once.... you name it and it applies.

- packs
- boots
- optics

The one good thing is all of the high end stuff retains a lot of value if you ever want to sell it.

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 03:47 PM
Buy once - Cry once.... you name it and it applies.

- packs
- boots
- optics

The one good thing is all of the high end stuff retains a lot of value if you ever want to sell it.

but see, you say that as if buying a $500 pack is cheap. As if that's not under the category of "cry once" ..... $500 for a backpack is STILL a lot of money!
But i do agree .... buy the BEST you can afford, or spend the most you choose to spend on a particular item.

The thing with these $900 backpacks is that it's utterly ridiculous what the prices have reached. I bet most professional guides don't even spend $900 for a pack.
As i said before, i'm sure they are amazing packs, no doubt, but the prices have reached ridiculous levels. So much so that for a weekend warrior such as myself who would only do a few pack in hunts per year, i'm actually debating just getting a bigger Osprey hiking pack and using that for significantly less money.

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 03:49 PM
It includes the frame weight. Kurt mentioned you add another 8 ounces for the X-curve over the Krux. I run a Kifaru that came in close to the same price as these SG setups. While it certainly doesn't make the weight in the pack any lighter, it absolutely makes it significantly more bearable and comfortable. Heavy packs still suck, the legs still feel like jello after, but they're worth every penny to me. Prior, I was using Osprey packs, which are great for backpacking, or lugging a load shorter distances, but I'll never go back after experiencing the difference a well-built pack makes. If the MR fits you for $400.00 less and the 2lbs difference isn't worth the money, then you're going to be absolutely satisfied. For others, the fit, build quality, and weight of the MR's might not be up to snuff. Everyone's different.

I gotta say this new frame/5900 bag combo is tempting at 2lbs lighter than my current setup. Fantastic looking design.

Which Osprey did you have? Because i'm seriously considering just getting a Xenith 88L that is significantly cheaper than any decent hunting-specific pack. They are rated up to 70lb on their site, which means it will work with 100lb on ocassion. Curious what problems you experienced with them. I've been using an Osprey Aether 60L for hiking for 11 years and never had a problem .... Loads 40lb less though. But that's hiking-only.

ljalberta
01-13-2017, 04:33 PM
I've had a few Osprey packs and still have a Talon and a Deuter pack kicking around for backpacking with the wife. The larger Osprey I used was their big pack from 6 or 7 years ago (it may have been the Xenith, or it may have been a precursor to the line - not positive on the name). It worked for hiking in, but the comfort just isn't their when it comes to the heavier weights. I don't think I've ever carried over 80 lbs any significant distance though. I could also be a giant wimp, as some people have no problem muscling through an uncomfortable packout. I'm not a big fan of the smaller buckles/straps for hunting either. On the upside, their warranty is also great, and should something rip/break they're good at getting it fixed/replaced.

I will say, if you're looking to keep the price down, it may be worth a trip to MEC (although some won't step in doors of this place) or similar if possible where you can just load up the packs with weight in store to get a feel for them. MEC has their own brand large pack for something like $250, which may be comparable to the Osprey's. Although I have no personal experience with them outside handling them in store.

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 04:39 PM
It worked for hiking in, but the comfort just isn't their when it comes to the heavier weights. I don't think I've ever carried over 80 lbs any significant distance though. I could also be a giant wimp, as some people have no problem muscling through an uncomfortable packout.

I've wondered the same thing when i've seen people packing 100+lb on a shi**y external frame from the 70s that has almost zero padding on the shoulder straps and not much anywhere else. lol.

Lastcar
01-13-2017, 05:27 PM
6'4" 210lb .... 43" chest, pant size 34. Let me know what you have and most importantly price :D

I need to hire you to be my packer. You can even wear my fancy ass pack! ;-)

You are not wrong about the MR packs. I was surprised when someone told me the price at GR. Who I will say has some pretty out of line prices themselves.

The first pack I had with a load shelf was a US made MR Longbow with NICE frame. Even was the limited run Sitka Optifade Open Country.

You know if you want to be all OCD about camo and insanely gung-ho about a brand.

But in all seriousness that bag is a commodity to this day. Also a mighty fine pack, but weighed 7.5lbs and was a day pack or tight two-night pack in early season. Loved it though, but needed to shave the weight. See below.

Long gone, sold to try KUIU, which I sold to try a Stone Glacier. Won't even get into that. KUIU works for some, not for others.

Been plenty happy with it and in the end, I look at it like others said...

Boots and packs matter.

To me having a pack that I love to wear for all the right reasons is worth every dime. I'm a smaller guy (5'8", 160lbs, 30 pant size) so saving a 1.5lbs matters to me. I'll pay for those weight savings without losing performance as well.

I'd love a pack that does what the SG for me and my situation that cost 25% of the amount.

Still working on the boots. Damn it...guys who say they have boots that fit like a dream are killing me.

BUT DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A BOOT THREAD! No boot replies. I hate threads that come off the rails almost as much as Dewey hates...well basically everything.

I guess the real question is why it bothers you so much. Life is short. Do your thing. Be happy with it. Keep on keepin' on. Chase critters. Spend time with people you dig. When you've maxed out on that, take on the overpriced pack industry.

Even if you are right and we all wrong, what do you get out of it? Other than a few hours of your life mashing keys you'll never get back...wait, I am doing the same thing! :)

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 05:42 PM
I'd love a pack that does what the SG for me and my situation that cost 25% of the amount.

Yes. My original comment wasn't meant to spark a debate it was more so expressing my shock at the sticker price. I had no idea backpacks, in this day and age, had climbed to over $900 in price :O

Still working on the boots. Damn it...guys who say they have boots that fit like a dream are killing me.

Even the most expensive boots still don't even come close to the $900 mark. In fact, besides optics no item costs as much as some packs now days.

what do you get out of it? Other than a few hours of your life mashing keys you'll never get back...wait, I am doing the same thing! :)

that's what the internet is for :D

Lastcar
01-13-2017, 06:44 PM
Yes. My original comment wasn't meant to spark a debate it was more so expressing my shock at the sticker price. I had no idea backpacks, in this day and age, had climbed to over $900 in price :O

Even the most expensive boots still don't even come close to the $900 mark. In fact, besides optics no item costs as much as some packs now days.

that's what the internet is for :D

All solid points.

I lose my mind at the price of a lot of things these days. I went to the store the other day to buy two potatoes. Don't ask. They were 65 cents. At first I was all excited, I mean when can you buy something for under a dollar. Then I realized it was two potatoes and resumed feeling ripped off. Also, double check the list you were given before you leave the store.

We "needed" new towels recently. I actually think based on price per square foot of materials towels are more expensive than a Hilleberg tent. Less waterproof too! To be fair, this guy right here can't stand crappy towels.

But for the love of god, she needs to learn to do what I do. Take the actual cost, cut it in half and then take another 10% off, then tell her about the purchase while complaining how expensive the item was.

"God damn it! This new Stone Glacier pack cost $405. Can you believe what they charge these days? I mean it is a great pack, but c'mon!" Then she points her outrage the company, not me.

But really I am lucky, it is "my hunting money" so as long as purchases comes from that then no questions or grief occurs. Have a very generous hunting budget, and a very supportive wife with all the hunting and fishing endeavors. She even deals with the anti's for me. For a city girl and normally timid person, she don't mess around when it comes to hunting and other food supply and nutrition topics. Well she grew up in Dallas so probably not your normal city girl.

Re: boots, I just meant I haven't found any that I think "holy shit" where have you been all my life. I have had many pairs I've liked. But nothing that matches the love some have for their boots.

twoSevenO
01-13-2017, 07:09 PM
All solid points.

I lose my mind at the price of a lot of things these days. I went to the store the other day to buy two potatoes. Don't ask. They were 65 cents. At first I was all excited, I mean when can you buy something for under a dollar. Then I realized it was two potatoes and resumed feeling ripped off. Also, double check the list you were given before you leave the store.

We "needed" new towels recently. I actually think based on price per square foot of materials towels are more expensive than a Hilleberg tent. Less waterproof too! To be fair, this guy right here can't stand crappy towels.

But for the love of god, she needs to learn to do what I do. Take the actual cost, cut it in half and then take another 10% off, then tell her about the purchase while complaining how expensive the item was.

"God damn it! This new Stone Glacier pack cost $405. Can you believe what they charge these days? I mean it is a great pack, but c'mon!" Then she points her outrage the company, not me.

But really I am lucky, it is "my hunting money" so as long as purchases comes from that then no questions or grief occurs. Have a very generous hunting budget, and a very supportive wife with all the hunting and fishing endeavors. She even deals with the anti's for me. For a city girl and normally timid person, she don't mess around when it comes to hunting and other food supply and nutrition topics. Well she grew up in Dallas so probably not your normal city girl.

Re: boots, I just meant I haven't found any that I think "holy shit" where have you been all my life. I have had many pairs I've liked. But nothing that matches the love some have for their boots.

:mrgreen: lol ... this actually made me laugh.

i have a very generous account too .... but i emptied it on a motorbike, and now have to pay for insurance for it in the spring. $900 pack? Ain't nobody got a budget for that! :D

As for the boots .... sometimes i think the folks who praise their boots to high heaven might have just spent 30 years hunting in sh*t footwear before finally stepping into a premium pair of boots and seeing the light for the first time .... ehh ... i dunno. I've been wearing quality hikers for a while so i'm in the same boat as you. I love them, but not enough to completely discount everything i wore before them. I was lucky to have parents who believed in quality footwear so i wore premium footwear even when i was a kid/teenager before i made my own money.

BgBlkDg
01-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Geez, some people's kids, eh!

Picking on a geriatric wreck like me and then yakking about packs, boots, wives, costs.......helluva thing, sassy young'un!

kebes
01-13-2017, 07:28 PM

Have the new MR really fallen that far as to be compared directly with badlands???? :D

SR80
01-14-2017, 10:26 AM
but see, you say that as if buying a $500 pack is cheap. As if that's not under the category of "cry once" ..... $500 for a backpack is STILL a lot of money!
But i do agree .... buy the BEST you can afford, or spend the most you choose to spend on a particular item.

The thing with these $900 backpacks is that it's utterly ridiculous what the prices have reached. I bet most professional guides don't even spend $900 for a pack.
As i said before, i'm sure they are amazing packs, no doubt, but the prices have reached ridiculous levels. So much so that for a weekend warrior such as myself who would only do a few pack in hunts per year, i'm actually debating just getting a bigger Osprey hiking pack and using that for significantly less money.

They're 900 bucks because of our crappy exchange rate. There is nothing confusing about the weights listed on the website, and there is also a link on the SG website showing them testing the frames and bags with 300+ lbs. I don't know what kind of hunting you do, but guys that pack into the mountains for 10+ days at a time want a light weight comfortable pack, that can handle 100+ lbs if they are lucky enough to kill a ram or other game. For me, its worth saving up the pennies to buy a good pack. Sure i could buy a kuiu or tenzing pack for cheaper but I wouldnt trust those packs 25km deep. I also dont mind paying more for top notch customer service and warranty. Kurt made me a custom belt for my old SG frame and didnt even charge me for it, shipped it to my door for nothing. Do you think MR would do that?? Heck no!

kebes
01-14-2017, 10:37 AM
They're 900 bucks because of our crappy exchange rate. There is nothing confusing about the weights listed on the website, and there is also a link on the SG website showing them testing the frames and bags with 300+ lbs. I don't know what kind of hunting you do, but guys that pack into the mountains for 10+ days at a time want a light weight comfortable pack, that can handle 100+ lbs if they are lucky enough to kill a ram or other game. For me, its worth saving up the pennies to buy a good pack. Sure i could buy a kuiu or tenzing pack for cheaper but I wouldnt trust those packs 25km deep. I also dont mind paying more for top notch customer service and warranty. Kurt made me a custom belt for my old SG frame and didnt even charge me for it, shipped it to my door for nothing. Do you think MR would do that?? Heck no!

When I bought into MR it was largely due to their lauded customer service. Shortly after they streamlined everything and it seemed to go downhill. If I was starting over again I'd be saving up for a stone glacier or seek outside.... not to say I don't love my metcalf/6500 combo on the good old fashioned nice frame :)

albravo2
01-14-2017, 10:50 AM
Geez, some people's kids, eh!

Picking on a geriatric wreck like me and then yakking about packs, boots, wives, costs.......helluva thing, sassy young'un!

One of the things I like about BBD is his ability to see the humour in a good natured ribbing. Sometimes I suspect he might not be the cantankerous curmudgeon he manifests in his writing.

twoSevenO
01-14-2017, 04:28 PM

Do you have any idea how many people hit the mountains for 10 days or more and don't have a Stone Glacier pack? It's ok to be a fanboy, but lets not continue to act as if Stone Glacier is the only pack worthy of a trip to the mountains.

twoSevenO
01-14-2017, 04:29 PM
When I bought into MR it was largely due to their lauded customer service. Shortly after they streamlined everything and it seemed to go downhill. If I was starting over again I'd be saving up for a stone glacier or seek outside.... not to say I don't love my metcalf/6500 combo on the good old fashioned nice frame :)

let me help you get the SG by buying the metcalf from you.:):D

kebes
01-14-2017, 09:23 PM
let me help you get the SG by buying the metcalf from you.:):D

Sure... $900 and it's yours ;)

SR80
01-15-2017, 11:20 AM
Do you have any idea how many people hit the mountains for 10 days or more and don't have a Stone Glacier pack? It's ok to be a fanboy, but lets not continue to act as if Stone Glacier is the only pack worthy of a trip to the mountains.

did i say a stone glacier is the the only pack worthy of going into the mountains?? No, and im no fan boy, i just like their packs and dont mind telling people about the excellent service ive had from them. And i dont mind paying the price for them, because for the style of hunting i do, i need a good pack. Osprey wouldnt last. Nice buck you have in your avatar, did you shoot that guy??

Lastcar
01-15-2017, 11:28 AM
INTERNET FIGHT!!!!!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5451/8902184360_7d8e6b08f5.jpg

Lastcar
01-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Also, Grouse River doing what Grouse River seems to do best...be the most expensive place to buy things.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee3/Lastcar_photos/2017-01-15_1041.png

Whoever got in last week when they were on sale and priced in the mid 500's, congrats. I really want to like GR but something about them never sits well with me.

sammy-j-peppers
01-15-2017, 06:41 PM
Also, Grouse River doing what Grouse River seems to do best...be the most expensive place to buy things.

Whoever got in last week when they were on sale and priced in the mid 500's, congrats. I really want to like GR but something about them never sits well with me.

Yep, Rampart has them for $565 everyday...... and only $10 shipping. They are great people to deal with too.

https://rampartcorp.com/collections/mystery-ranch/products/mystery-ranch-metcalf-2016?variant=21191815495

twoSevenO
01-15-2017, 07:38 PM
Sure... $900 and it's yours ;)

$500 ..... :)

twoSevenO
01-15-2017, 07:39 PM
Yep, Rampart has them for $565 everyday...... and only $10 shipping. They are great people to deal with too.

https://rampartcorp.com/collections/mystery-ranch/products/mystery-ranch-metcalf-2016?variant=21191815495

Nice find. We should have a thread with the latest deals. Someone posts looking for the best current deal on a product ... those who know of a source share the info :)

todbartell
01-15-2017, 09:36 PM
MR will be increasing prices for 2017 and that's why GR is more than before. Rampart also lists the pack as a 2016 model. They might get in trouble for advertising MR packs at old pricing - maybe, not sure how close MR watches their dealers

$900 doesn't buy much these days so if a guy can afford it, and wants an item that he thinks will/does work for him, why not drop the cash. I sold my 2011 MR Nice frame with 6500 bag, Metcalf & Crewcab bags and bought the 2016 MR Guidelight framed Marshall, Metcalf, and Pintler. Also grabbed a Exo Mtn 3500 to compare to the new MR. I really like the new MR stuff but LOVED the Exo, so sold all the MR stuff this fall and feedback from the guys who I sold to said it has performed great. Exo's larget pack, about 7000 cuin, and 5lbs4oz with frame, is $600USD. That's gonna run a guy about $1000CAD amd work every penny, for me

I'd spend that on a SG if that was what I wanted. I've spent $500 on a Badlands Ox and it was junk

Weatherby Fan
01-15-2017, 09:51 PM
The EXO is gaining in popularity with leaps and bounds, great reviews on it also.

albravo2
01-15-2017, 09:59 PM
The EXO is gaining in popularity with leaps and bounds, great reviews on it also.

Jeez Don, with a rifle collection like yours, how on earth can you afford a pack, much less gas to go hunting.

Weatherby Fan
01-15-2017, 10:21 PM
Jeez Don, with a rifle collection like yours, how on earth can you afford a pack, much less gas to go hunting.

Lol I sell as many as I buy or build Al, I have 3 gun safes if I can't fit em in I start selling !!!!

Andrewh
01-15-2017, 10:27 PM
If anyone wants to buy my size medium belt Crux frame with two hips pockets send me a pm... bought the pack at the beginning of this past season and it is in perfect condition.

I am thinking I want to try out the new frame!!!!

twoSevenO
01-15-2017, 10:38 PM
^ PM sent.

Lastcar
01-15-2017, 10:40 PM
^ PM sent.

Oh boy!!!! He is going for it!!!! Going to have to change his handle to twoStoneGlacierO!!!!

But wait till he finds out AndrewH will grind him on the price. We'll be back to square one.

twoSevenO
01-15-2017, 10:45 PM
Oh boy!!!! He is going for it!!!! Going to have to change his handle to twoStoneGlacierO!!!!

But wait till he finds out AndrewH will grind him on the price. We'll be back to square one.

As mentioned before, i never once said anything negative about SG packs quality. In fact, i'm sure i have mentioned that I believe they are great packs based on their design. The only gripe I had was the price. I'm looking for a good pack and if i can get a deal on a used one i'll scoop up any SG or Mystery Ranch pack i can find :) .

Edit:

My post rom the second page

While i don't doubt that this is an EXCELLENT pack, the point here is that there are other excellent packs that DON"T cost $900.

Lastcar
01-15-2017, 10:49 PM
As mentioned before, i never once said anything negative about SG packs quality. In fact, i'm sure i have mentioned that I believe they are great packs based on their design. The only gripe I had was the price. I'm looking for a good pack and if i can get a deal on a used one i'll scoop up any SG or Mystery Ranch pack i can find :) .

Edit:

My post rom the second page

Hey, don't make me the bad guy here. That is SR80. I am just the class clown having fun!

I agree, you never once said they may not be amazing packs, just that they are pricey as all get up.

Anyways, don't make me have to act mature or serious again like this. I will report you to the mods.

twoSevenO
01-15-2017, 10:52 PM
Hey, don't make me the bad guy here. That is SR80. I am just the class clown having fun!

I agree, you never once said they may not be amazing packs, just that they are pricey as all get up.

Anyways, don't make me have to act mature or serious again like this. I will report you to the mods.

my sincerest apologies. Won't happen again :) .

and yes ... he may very well grill me on the price but i like to think deals on here go smoother than Craigslist lol

Andrewh
01-15-2017, 11:06 PM

Hey Kye - I will sell mine for cheaper than SR80 sold his for a few weeks ago! Not into grinding bud.

Lastcar
01-15-2017, 11:49 PM
Hey Kye - I will sell mine for cheaper than SR80 sold his for a few weeks ago! Not into grinding bud.

Can no one take a joke in this thread?

Jesus, are BgBlkDg and I the only two left with a sense of humour in this joint?

No one can hold the line like SR80. Dude is tenacious. You should grind like he does. We all should.

twoSevenO
01-15-2017, 11:52 PM
Can no one take a joke in this thread?

Jesus, are BgBlkDg and I the only two left with a sense of humour in this joint?

No one can hold the line like SR80. Dude is tenacious. You should grind like he does. We all should.

discussing packs is very serious business lol

twoSevenO
01-15-2017, 11:57 PM
MR will be increasing prices for 2017 and that's why GR is more than before. Rampart also lists the pack as a 2016 model. They might get in trouble for advertising MR packs at old pricing - maybe, not sure how close MR watches their dealers

$900 doesn't buy much these days so if a guy can afford it, and wants an item that he thinks will/does work for him, why not drop the cash. I sold my 2011 MR Nice frame with 6500 bag, Metcalf & Crewcab bags and bought the 2016 MR Guidelight framed Marshall, Metcalf, and Pintler. Also grabbed a Exo Mtn 3500 to compare to the new MR. I really like the new MR stuff but LOVED the Exo, so sold all the MR stuff this fall and feedback from the guys who I sold to said it has performed great. Exo's larget pack, about 7000 cuin, and 5lbs4oz with frame, is $600USD. That's gonna run a guy about $1000CAD amd work every penny, for me

I'd spend that on a SG if that was what I wanted. I've spent $500 on a Badlands Ox and it was junk

aren't they allowed to sell a pack for whatever they want? I imagine they buy it from MR, so however cheap they sell it is just less money for them? Or does MR make them sign a contract with an MSRP price and some minimum price below which they can't sell? Since you're in the business, can you elaborate? :).

And yes, i agree on the Badlands OX. Crossed that option off my list when i saw it weighs a bloody 10lbs .... a little excessive.

Andrewh
01-16-2017, 12:01 AM
clear your PM's twoseven0

todbartell
01-16-2017, 12:08 AM
aren't they allowed to sell a pack for whatever they want? I imagine they buy it from MR, so however cheap they sell it is just less money for them? Or does MR make them sign a contract with an MSRP price and some minimum price below which they can't sell? Since you're in the business, can you elaborate? :).

more and more manufacturers are enforcing a minimum advertised price so their products don't get drug down to the bottom of the barrel. Everyone loves good prices, and the MAP pricing is fair to the customer, retailer and manufacturer.

twoSevenO
01-16-2017, 12:18 AM
clear your PM's twoseven0

done. We really need a higher limit on those things :) .

SR80
01-16-2017, 07:20 AM

rampart doesn't really have any MR left in stock anyways, I think they have a couple of large metcalfs. I wonder when they get a new shipment if their prices will go up.

twoSevenO
01-19-2017, 11:47 AM
Ended up buying the stone glacier frame from Andrewh. Loaded up with a 35lb and 25lb gym plates at home. Felt good. Over budget now so the girlfriend will be buying a bag for it for my bday ... i hope.

Also learned something new ... a whole deboned sheep will fit into a 20L dry bag .... Guess they are not as big as I thought lol.

Lastcar
01-19-2017, 11:38 PM
Picked up SR80 and I's new frames and my new Sky 5900 bag tonight. First impression is good. Quite like the features on the bag. Tossed the pack on empty, ballparking the fit. Belt and shoulder straps feel quite good. Will spend some time tomorrow with 25lbs in it to get it fitted up. Suspect I'll need to play around some more before I can comment on the curved frame, but seems like it'll be a winner.

Won't bother with pics as the ones on Stone Glacier's site are far better than the ones I can take. Which are one notch above my drawing them by hand with crayons.

showtimebc
01-20-2017, 12:04 AM
Looking forward to some reviews on the new frame.

twoSevenO
01-20-2017, 12:09 AM
Picked up SR80 and I's new frames and my new Sky 5900 bag tonight. First impression is good. Quite like the features on the bag. Tossed the pack on empty, ballparking the fit. Belt and shoulder straps feel quite good. Will spend some time tomorrow with 25lbs in it to get it fitted up. Suspect I'll need to play around some more before I can comment on the curved frame, but seems like it'll be a winner.

Won't bother with pics as the ones on Stone Glacier's site are far better than the ones I can take. Which are one notch above my drawing them by hand with crayons.

Watch their video on youtube on how to properly fit their pack. They say the transition between grey and black on the shoulder strap should sit right at your collar bone. I thought that was a cool neat feature in their design.

The only thing i don't like is the material on the inside of the hip belt/shoulder strap. I don't like the "mesh". I generally prefer the smoother, "silk" type of material on the inside like Osprey uses. Like this:

http://static.ospreyeurope.com/media/features/Bioform-hipbelt_1.jpg

Razor84
01-20-2017, 12:22 AM
Picked up SR80 and I's new frames and my new Sky 5900 bag tonight.

LMAO do you guys even hunt?

BgBlkDg
01-20-2017, 12:49 AM

You were going to meet me for coffee last weekend, no problem as I was a bit busy, but, if you do intend to meet me at Mission, or whatever, I would very much like to examine this pack.

The whole 5900 model as shown on SGs site impresses me as an ideal general duty long range trekking pack and this was my favourite game for decades. Solos over the Earl Grey Pass, usually about five days return from WK side, a week in the Valhallas, same in Kokanee Glacier during the winter and so on.

About 6000 cu. in. is just right for such uses and allows you to carry comfortably a few items such as photo gear, fishing gear and a few "ecology" manuals, should these interest you.

I don't "get" Razor's query, but, WTF, I am so old and decrepit that I don't really know much, anyway.........maybe he still lugs a "Trapper Nelson No 3", an instrument of torture I remember only too well......................

.264winmag
01-20-2017, 02:26 AM

Ever pack 110# for 35+km out the mountains?
It's worth every cent...
You have a smart phone at around $100/month?
Take a few months off such 'necessities' and voila, comfy reliable lifeline/backpack.

SR80
01-20-2017, 06:58 AM

No...I but i like to take pictures of the sun rise, does that count??

Lastcar
01-20-2017, 09:12 AM

No, but I hike a lot. With a rifle. Does that count?

twoSevenO
01-20-2017, 10:04 AM
Ever pack 110# for 35+km out the mountains?
It's worth every cent...
You have a smart phone at around $100/month?
Take a few months off such 'necessities' and voila, comfy reliable lifeline/backpack.

People do it all the time with packs that don't cost 900 and don't complain about them .... mystery ranch for example. Can be had for way less than 900 and still happily used by thousands of North American hunters

As mentioned before it's not whether I have the money. I have the money. I just choose not to spend $900 on a backpack.

Lastcar
01-20-2017, 10:29 AM
You were going to meet me for coffee last weekend, no problem as I was a bit busy, but, if you do intend to meet me at Mission, or whatever, I would very much like to examine this pack.

About 6000 cu. in. is just right for such uses and allows you to carry comfortably a few items such as photo gear, fishing gear and a few "ecology" manuals, should these interest you.

I don't "get" Razor's query, but, WTF, I am so old and decrepit that I don't really know much, anyway.........maybe he still lugs a "Trapper Nelson No 3", an instrument of torture I remember only too well......................

I'll make it out there one of these times. I try to not to mention it unless I am confident I can make it. By midday Sunday it became apparent it wouldn't happen.

On my goat hunt this fall we were catching brookies damn near every cast, right from where we were glassing. What a way to spend the evening and save weight on food. Sadly moved on from that spot after 2 days. I'd love to be able to toss a line for pan fry swimming creatures on every trip. Crayfish would be another fun way to supplement the menu.

No idea what Razor is on about. My guess is it relates to our fascination with gear and year round obsessing over it. What can I say? Some of us like shiny objects to research and play with when not in the field. And love to have quality gear in the field.

I certainly remember being in my early 20's and using what I could to get in the backcountry. I am not one that thinks a guy or girl MUST have the latest or single purpose item before they can get out there.

Heck, I remember doing a quick overnighter up Frosty in Manning Park and one of the guys brought a pickle jar, full of pickles for dinner. I explained you know you could have just taken some out and put them in a bag? He packed a large jar, juice and all. Ate 6 of the 15 pickles in it.

We laughed ourselves silly about.

In the morning he pulled out a large plastic jar of Kraft peanut butter for breakfast.

We laughed even harder.

Even back then, I made sure I had a great pack and boots. But I didn't have the latest and greatest of much else. Didn't have the dough for much more than boots and a pack.

I bought a Arctreyx Bora pack in 97. The early years for the Bora packs. Used it up until 2012.

Had a few other packs along the way but that pack was a dream. That hip belt! Bought it from a small outdoors shop in Cranbrook in summer of 97 when I was working there for a summer. Wish I remember the name.

I don't remember the model of boots but I had a pair of Solomons that I loved.

Best part was due to funds, I wore those boots until the couldn't help but to fit well. But if I recall right, they were a great boot and never gave me problems.

Used Primus Grasshopper that was handed down from a family friend. One of my grandparents best friends. Was a dandy stove until finding fuel became far too tricky. Came with a supply of canisters but that ran dry.

http://classiccampstoves.com/attachments/1362084027-2-jpg.39614/

Moved onto a Coleman white gas single burner. Was like a brick compared to what we have now.

Hell, when I was a kid I built a hobo stove from those 1 quart tomato juice cans. I'd go on all kind of adventures ill equipped and never missed beat.

I've been on both ends of it. None of it stopped me from getting into the backcountry. Nor does all the "fancy" gear I have now get me into the backcountry more. But FOR ME, I enjoy the gear side of it. God knows what the reasons are, some of which are probably not even logical. Heck, some of it is probably compensating for some other deficiency. :)

Also I take pics of sunrises. Always tag out on those.

twoSevenO
01-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Cool story man. You should post more "old school" stories. Lol pickles ... I love reading when guys used to just head into the hills in jeans and packed a loaf of bread and salami for sandwiches and didn't pay $1000 to have their bolt fluted to save 0.5oz lol.

While I admittedly fall more into the "modern" category, being born in the mid 80s and all, I do enjoy reading the old school trip write ups.

Wentrot
01-20-2017, 11:12 AM
People will use what they want. No point ragging on others. This is just like the hunting clothing threads, always people saying how it's overpriced and not necessary. What may not be a needed item to one person might be to the next.

Lastcar
01-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Cool story man. You should post more "old school" stories. Lol pickles ... I love reading when guys used to just head into the hills in jeans and packed a loaf of bread and salami for sandwiches and didn't pay $1000 to have their bolt fluted to save 0.5oz lol.

While I admittedly fall more into the "modern" category, being born in the mid 80s and all, I do enjoy reading the old school trip write ups.

I fall into modern as well, I am a mid 70's kid. I can't say I have a lot of experience with what we consider old school these days.

I discovered MEC RAD pants pretty early, so I was into the "technical" wear and gear in my early 20's. But my kids will laugh at pics of me in my blue RAD pants no doubt.

But also didn't do tons of research and bought what I could afford and thought was the best. Which wasn't often right, as I'd discover in the field. But at that point didn't know any better.

Make no mistake, I was not quite as raw or "hardcore" as pickle boy.

I am sure I brought ramen noodles or something. Something light and easily packed. And a big chunk of donkey dink. Aka salami. Cheese and bagels too. Mustard packets from a hotdog stand and would make up sandwiches every day.

And Snickers. Snickers were my go to.

To this day I will have a landjagger in every daily meal bag.

I will fully admit for me, the pursuit of fancy gear is part of the fun. But that applies to all my activities. Fishing is just as bad. Islander reels, sage rods, Simms this, Simms that etc.

For those that turn their nose up at gear whores...or guys without the latest and greatest...

I could give a crap what a guy buys, or owns or if he even gets out to use it or not. If it makes him happy, rock on. I admire the guys who just make do. Whether for financial reasons or just cause that is the way they roll. None of my business.

Who gives a hell if he actually goes out and hunts with all his fancy gear?

Or who cares if he hunts in a wetsuit and a clown wig?

In the end, if a guy is advocating for wildlife and hunting rights he is on our side, good enough for me.

Buys tags and gives back financially or volunteer time in other ways to wildlife?

Even better.

Explains why he or she hunts in a way that helps non-hunters understand and be supportive of hunting rights?

Well, now we are winning the lottery.

This is about the time we start to note how many days until bear season right? As the off season cabin fever kicks in...

RiverOtter
01-21-2017, 05:27 PM
Laughed at the pickle story, mostly cause I resembled that story at one time. Haha.

Shortly after getting my drivers license in the early 90's, me and a pard did an overnight hike into the north Monashees. While I don't recall all my gear choices, I do recall a couple items.
-2 1/2 pound fallers axe(really handy above treeline)
-Aluminum coffee pot with a couple rocks to warn bears
-8" cast iron fry pan(lake we were heading towards had no fish, but I might have brought potatoes. Regardless it never got used. LOL.
-Steel toe Rocky work boots adorned my feet and a 90liter Outbound pack was mounted on my back.

Never made the lake, slept on 3' of snow(July long)and my pack weighed 90lbs when I got home. The good old days, when I could stand on a 250lb bathroom scale with a loaded pack and not wrap the needle....:-P

Come a little way since then for sure.

twoSevenO
01-21-2017, 05:36 PM
Those from the lower mainland who have hiked to Flora lake will know what a bitch it is .... Ween there with a buddy one year who hiked up and down to the lake with some beers. Put them in the lake to cool and had them popped by a kid throwing rocks off the shore ... lol.

I've also gone out and packed nothing but hard boiled eggs and candy for a trip. it worked. The things you can get away with when you're 18. Not as bad as pickle boy, but it still makes me cringe looking back at it.

Lastcar
01-21-2017, 08:31 PM
The look on his face when I said you could have just put those in a Ziploc bag and saved the weight of the jar, juice and extra pickles...

He wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Obviously.

Can't remember if it was him or someone else on another trip, get to the destination and they reach into their pack all excited about the bottle of red wine they brought. Then spent the next 20 minutes trying to figure out where on the hike in it broke.

Got a different look this time, when I said you realize you could have put that into a pop bottle and saved the weight and have it not break?

As it turns out synthetic bags retain their insulation properties when wet, even if wet is a result of a broken 1.5L bottle of cheap ass red wine.

twoSevenO
01-21-2017, 09:21 PM
Anyone ever hike with that one buddy who insists on putting plastic bags over his socks to keep his feet dry because his boots aren't waterproof and who won't listen when you tell him they'll be just as wet later but smellier? lol.

.264winmag
01-22-2017, 07:57 AM
Non-hunting partner tagged along goat hunting last fall. Hardcore ski tourer and hiker. Decided to wear his Nike running shoes on the expedition, even with my suggestion against it.
"Man they're solid, walked for three days straight in em during a trip in Indonesia" he says.
Apparently that isn't the same as a backpack full of meat in the selkirks.
Last hr out by headlamp I kept seeing him butt skidding down the slide paths. Apparently he lost a sole off one shoe and was using the other one as a brake HA.

.264winmag
01-22-2017, 07:59 AM
Laughed at the pickle story, mostly cause I resembled that story at one time. Haha.

Shortly after getting my drivers license in the early 90's, me and a pard did an overnight hike into the north Monashees. While I don't recall all my gear choices, I do recall a couple items.
-2 1/2 pound fallers axe(really handy above treeline)
-Aluminum coffee pot with a couple rocks to warn bears
-8" cast iron fry pan(lake we were heading towards had no fish, but I might have brought potatoes. Regardless it never got used. LOL.
-Steel toe Rocky work boots adorned my feet and a 90liter Outbound pack was mounted on my back.

Never made the lake, slept on 3' of snow(July long)and my pack weighed 90lbs when I got home. The good old days, when I could stand on a 250lb bathroom scale with a loaded pack and not wrap the needle....:-P

Come a little way since then for sure.

Sounds like my sheep partner. Works great for me though, he doesn't even notice the whiskey I stash in his pack;)

RiverOtter
01-22-2017, 07:21 PM
Anyone ever hike with that one buddy who insists on putting plastic bags over his socks to keep his feet dry because his boots aren't waterproof and who won't listen when you tell him they'll be just as wet later but smellier? lol.
While I've never done it with hikers, kitchen catchers inside waterproof winter boots is a life saver in winter. Do it every day all winter in my falling boots. The closer you can keep condensation to your actual foot, the better. Once your inner boot gets wet and freezes, good luck keeping your feet warm.

SR80
01-23-2017, 07:57 AM
Non-hunting partner tagged along goat hunting last fall. Hardcore ski tourer and hiker. Decided to wear his Nike running shoes on the expedition, even with my suggestion against it.
"Man they're solid, walked for three days straight in em during a trip in Indonesia" he says.
Apparently that isn't the same as a backpack full of meat in the selkirks.
Last hr out by headlamp I kept seeing him butt skidding down the slide paths. Apparently he lost a sole off one shoe and was using the other one as a brake HA. hahaha now thats funny.

Lastcar
01-25-2017, 12:45 PM
Heck of a deal on a Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6200 in the classifieds. I don't know OnPoint at all, passing along what looks to be a good deal. Not helping promote OnPoint.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?134399-Stone-Glacier-Sky-Archer-6200-with-medium-hip-belt-550

behemoth
01-26-2017, 12:22 PM
Hey guys, love the couple of recent threads about the high end hunting backpacks. After a few years off mountain hunting due to life and family changes I'm committed to getting back into the game this year. Goats for sure and maybe sheep if I can find the right partner.
I've decided to upgrade my pack system from an old 80L, 10lb, 15 year old pack I got at Valhalla back in the day to a lightweight hunting-specific setup.

I've been looking at the Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 and the Exo 5500 but am now leaning heavily to the SG XCurve with the new SKY 5900. You can buy the frame in the 'minimalist' version which comes with the dry bag as a day pack. So with that setup I would have awesome versatility in setup size for day trips/ two-3 days or weeklong treks. I'm not entirely sure about the dry bag as a day pack but I don't really see the harm in trying it out. Next year I could pickup one of their smaller bags as a better day pack if I don't like it. Has anyone here tried out the 'minimalist' as a day pack?

SR80
01-27-2017, 07:08 AM
Hey guys, love the couple of recent threads about the high end hunting backpacks. After a few years off mountain hunting due to life and family changes I'm committed to getting back into the game this year. Goats for sure and maybe sheep if I can find the right partner.
I've decided to upgrade my pack system from an old 80L, 10lb, 15 year old pack I got at Valhalla back in the day to a lightweight hunting-specific setup.

I've been looking at the Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 and the Exo 5500 but am now leaning heavily to the SG XCurve with the new SKY 5900. You can buy the frame in the 'minimalist' version which comes with the dry bag as a day pack. So with that setup I would have awesome versatility in setup size for day trips/ two-3 days or weeklong treks. I'm not entirely sure about the dry bag as a day pack but I don't really see the harm in trying it out. Next year I could pickup one of their smaller bags as a better day pack if I don't like it. Has anyone here tried out the 'minimalist' as a day pack?I dont have any experience using just the dry bag, but its definetly doable. Not sure it would be big enough for a long trip though.

AllDay
01-27-2017, 07:53 AM
The 5900 can be converted to a day bag fairly easily... it's pretty much all you would need for a 1 day to 10 day trip

Weatherby Fan
02-01-2017, 11:54 PM
Ok at SCI today I picked up the new X-Curve frame and the Sky Talus 6900 bag, a gun sling, two hip pockets and a waterproof cover.

I wore the frame around with 55lbs in it at the show today for about 10 minutes and it was very comfortable even for a fat guy like me, I don't believe it's any better than my MR Nice frame but it's 3 lbs lighter.

SR80
02-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Ok at SCI today I picked up the new X-Curve frame and the Sky Talus 6900 bag, a gun sling, two hip pockets and a waterproof cover.

I wore the frame around with 55lbs in it at the show today for about 10 minutes and it was very comfortable even for a fat guy like me, I don't believe it's any better than my MR Nice frame but it's 3 lbs lighter.

3lbs lighter tells me its better :p

Weatherby Fan
02-02-2017, 07:31 AM
3lbs lighter tells me its better :p

3lbs lighter is better for this old guy, now to shave 60lbs off my frame !

albravo2
06-12-2017, 10:25 AM
I've decided to buy our son a tent/pack/bag setup for graduation as he'll need to start accumulating his own stuff and I think quality gear will last as long and create as many great memories as any other grad gift could. The good news is he will be very busy with university this fall and he is damn near my size, so a gift for him will increase my own options.

I was leaning toward Stone Glacier and searched until I found this old thread. I'd missed all the great stories near the end. Pretty funny stuff... I can recall provisioning with triscuits, pepperoni and cheese at a 7-11 in Chilliwack on an ill-fated effort to climb Slesse. Too dumb to know better but smart enough to know it was worth the pain.

I'm thinking one bag (Solo 3300) for day/overnight and another for 5+ days (Talus 6900). Everybody still loving the Stone Glacier stuff? Other advice for a two bag/one frame setup?

300rum700
06-12-2017, 11:09 AM
I've decided to buy our son a tent/pack/bag setup for graduation as he'll need to start accumulating his own stuff and I think quality gear will last as long and create as many great memories as any other grad gift could. The good news is he will be very busy with university this fall and he is damn near my size, so a gift for him will increase my own options.

I was leaning toward Stone Glacier and searched until I found this old thread. I'd missed all the great stories near the end. Pretty funny stuff... I can recall provisioning with triscuits, pepperoni and cheese at a 7-11 in Chilliwack on an ill-fated effort to climb Slesse. Too dumb to know better but smart enough to know it was worth the pain.

I'm thinking one bag (Solo 3300) for day/overnight and another for 5+ days (Talus 6900). Everybody still loving the Stone Glacier stuff? Other advice for a two bag/one frame setup?

Kifaru hunting Duplex and Fulcrum bag will do it all from day hunts to 10 day backpack hunts.

KodiakHntr
06-12-2017, 11:25 AM

When I was a MR guy, I had several of their packs for any possible scenario, but mostly used the Longbow and the 6500.

Now, with the SG stuff, I only use the 7400. Perfect pack for what I use one for (everything.....). also have a sky archer for the gf, but it's a touch on the small side.

In your shoes, I'd get him a 7400, and be done with it. That bag compresses down small, and works well for every thing.

RiverOtter
06-12-2017, 06:23 PM
^^^^^Gotta second KH's advice on this one. Very little weight penalty with the big bag and it is designed with gussets to compress for smaller loads.

While being able to interchange bags on a single frame is a genuis marketing plan, by and large it's still an answer to a problem that didn't really exist. IMHO.

BgBlkDg
06-12-2017, 06:58 PM
Yup, much like the ever-changing camo patterns and hideously costly "kewl" hunting clothing as well as many other "must have" items that the marketers promote.,

SOME hunting forums seem little more than sales facilities for certain gear makers and the "gurus" who run them seem to have a LOT of "experiences" for people of their ages.......

Hmmmmmm.........

Some here actually know what works from years of bushwhacking and RO's advice is spot on, IMHO.

albravo2
06-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Thanks gentlemen, excellent advice.

I was trying to be a little sympathetic getting him the 6900 as the 'big' bag. My experience is that the guy with the biggest pack ends up with the biggest load.

But that is a lesson he'll learn the same way we all did.

RiverOtter
06-12-2017, 08:29 PM
Lessons are good, because they're a direct result of experiences. :D

Lastcar
06-12-2017, 09:05 PM
^^^^^Gotta second KH's advice on this one. Very little weight penalty with the big bag and it is designed with gussets to compress for smaller loads.

While being able to interchange bags on a single frame is a genuis marketing plan, by and large it's still an answer to a problem that didn't really exist. IMHO.

Concur. Have had three pack systems with a large and small bag. Small bag went on the frame once with each. When I was testing how to change bags. Never seemed worth it.

I will say one my favorite packs yet was the MR Longbow on the Nice Frame.

SR80
06-13-2017, 07:02 AM
As mentioned before, with the SG one big bag is the way to go. I used to run a two bag setup with MR and kifaru. But the way that the stone glacier bags compress into bivy mode works so well you'll never know you have a 6900, 7400 ci bag on your back. The 5900 bag looks pretty slick too. I currently use the 6900 and have no complaints with it. Too bad the packs didnt come in a "kewl " camo pattern though...just joking, i just wanted to say "kewl"

BgBlkDg
06-13-2017, 07:20 AM
I know, man! It makes an old geezer like me feel SO connected to the experts on various sites!

That said, one of the reasons I chose SO over SG is that the light grey colour seems to stand out more than I like in BC forests. I had that with the early issue MR BDSB I had and while this was an incredible pack and would pack 100 lbs. of concrete blocks for training, it was too "bright" for my preferences.

The MR Foliage is about the best "all around" colour I have ever used and it blends in extremely well. When, I got my first MR in that colour, I thought, "f**k, this is BUTT UGLY", then I packed it for several days in the South Chilcotin and was totally impressed.

The current SO Exposure is multi shades of brown and I find this the most useful all-around pack I have ever used. They continue to amaze me with design(s), quality and outstanding service. I am a grumpy old phart and it ain't easy to impress me.

hookedonblacktails
06-13-2017, 07:21 AM

I'd get the 7400, it's actually lighter than the 6900. And as mentioned it compresses down very small, when I got mine last month I opened the box and thought they sent me the wrong one it looked so small, it's just a well thought out design. I think you'll be happier with the larger one, depending on what type of tent and sleeping pad he'll use, these two items can take up a lot of space fast. Easier to just put things inside the bag than lash to the outside, also makes using the rain cover easier.