PDA

View Full Version : Woman fined $2,000 for poaching California bighorn

358mag
01-12-2017, 03:14 PM
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/groupee_common/ver1.3.7.2147483647/platform_images/blank.gif (http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7621043/m/4481031822?r=4481031822#4481031822)
posted 12 January 2017 21:0812 January 2017 21:08

https://www.kamloopsthisweek.c...-california-bighorn/ (https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/woman-fined-2000-poaching-california-bighorn/)

Link has photo of the three ram skulls and horns.

Woman fined $2,000 for poaching California bighorn

By Cam Fortems - January 11, 2017

A First Nations woman has pleaded guilty to shooting a California bighorn sheep — one of three she hunted — and leaving most of its meat behind.

Marlene Kato was sentenced yesterday in provincial court under the Wildlife Act for failing to remove edible portions of a carcass. The law is in place to ensure hunters kill for more than a trophy rack or horns.

Crown prosecutor Joel Gold said on Nov. 9, 2014, conservation officers found two of the three dead rams within 10 metres of a logging road in an area north of Kamloops Lake while the third was about 500 metres away on a slope.

They had been killed the previous day. While meat was removed from two of the animals, most of the meat from the third ram was left on the hillside.

Kato, a member of the Ashcroft Indian Band who works at Overlander Residential Care, was originally charged with three counts of failing to remove edible portions of a carcass, but two of the counts were dropped in return for her pleading guilty to the single charge. She was accompanied by her husband and daughter at the time of the hunt.

Judge Chris Cleaveley sentenced Kato to a $2,000 fine. All but $100 of that amount will go to the B.C. Habitat Conservation Trust Fund. As part of the deal, she forfeited her right to trophy parts — the cape and the skull and horns.

Outside court, conservation officer Kevin Van Damme said the shooting of the three rams is a concern to local First Nations because sustenance hunting should be done for food, rather than profit. Parts harvested from bighorn sheep can fetch as much as $20,000 on the open market.

The law allows aboriginal hunting for food.

“We commonly see that with aboriginal people with moose and deer and elk. We don’t see a lot of sustenance hunting for sheep,” Van Damme said, noting it does occur.

Kato did bring the head and horns to ministry officials for identification and reporting. They were seized.

Van Damme said Tk’emlups and Skeetchestn Indian bands both manage bighorn sheep populations and typically require their members to obtain a permit before hunting for sheep.

“In speaking with chief and council . . . there was no support for this hunt.”

Non-aboriginal hunters can apply in a lottery for the right to harvest bighorn sheep. The odds of winning a tag are in the order of 1-1,000.

“You can apply for a lifetime and not get a draw,” Van Damme said.

Hunting bighorn sheep at that time of year and area is also not considered sport because the animals are not wary of people and will wander beside busy roads and highways.

California bighorn sheep are considered an at-risk species in B.C.

IronNoggin
01-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Two Grand?? What an Effing JOKE! :evil:
Three rams. Should have been $50,000 per ram minimum IMO.

Of course on the other side of the coin, who honestly believes any fine amount will ever be paid off. :roll:

UnFrickingReal! :mad:
Nog

Spy
01-12-2017, 03:58 PM

Of course on the other side of the coin, who honestly believes any fine amount will ever be paid off. :roll:

Nog
Could not agree more + vehicle confiscation and rifles and jail time

LeverActionJunkie
01-12-2017, 04:18 PM
Amazed to see this actually went through and a conviction was brought about. Agree it's not much of a conviction at all. Quite disgraceful really when we consider the loss. As well as the loss of opportunity to set precedent.

Linksman313
01-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Non-aboriginal hunters can apply in a lottery for the right to harvest bighorn sheep. The odds of winning a tag are in the order of 1-1,000.

“You can apply for a lifetime and not get a draw,” Van Damme said.
The odds just went up, I agree with Spy, how about we throw in lifetime hunting ban that we would have received for the same first offence in this case.
$2000 bux is disgraceful
Thanx for posting this 358mag

rocksteady
01-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Better than a zero fine, like we have seen in the past.

Bugle M In
01-12-2017, 04:52 PM
So, now the next guy that does it (a non native poaching bighorn sheep) only has to worry about a 2,000.00$ fine.
After all, that sets a precedence now for that type of crime, does it not??
So, if a non native gets slapped with a 50,000.00$ fine for the same crime, I guess he/she can now fight it as "discrimination",
and an "unfair ruling"???

BgBlkDg
01-12-2017, 04:55 PM
All aboriginal hunting MUST be done by traditional tools, NO GUNS, quads, lights, GPS, 4x4s, etc, etc,

I believe that these "stewards" are THE greatest problem in contemporary BC hunting and I would do ANYTHING to stop them.

For this, no fine as she won't pay and the gov't does not have the guts to face down these characters. I would simply let enraged resident hunters deal with this family...............

LachlanStevs
01-12-2017, 05:08 PM
I am all for Aboriginals hunting, but $2000 and shes hunting a threatened species? come on, people enter this LEH every year for decades and never get a draw. Too soft IMO but what can you do I guess...

Seeker
01-12-2017, 05:33 PM
All aboriginal hunting MUST be done by traditional tools, NO GUNS, quads, lights, GPS, 4x4s, etc, etc,

I believe that these "stewards" are THE greatest problem in contemporary BC hunting and I would do ANYTHING to stop them.

For this, no fine as she won't pay and the gov't does not have the guts to face down these characters. I would simply let enraged resident hunters deal with this family...............

I think habitat degradation supersedes first nations hunting, but nonetheless it is an issue that I believe needs to be seriously addressed. I am a firm believer that they should be allowed to hunt, but it must be accounted for and limited to a quota as are the rest of us. They can have a priority if numbers are low, BUT, in order to manage the animals, numbers of harvested animals need to be both known and regulated. How that is to be accomplished is beyond my intellect at this point.

Fully agree penalty was NOT enough! I also agree better this than nothing......

Weatherby Fan
01-12-2017, 05:42 PM
So, now the next guy that does it (a non native poaching bighorn sheep) only has to worry about a 2,000.00$ fine.
After all, that sets a precedence now for that type of crime, does it not??
So, if a non native gets slapped with a 50,000.00$ fine for the same crime, I guess he/she can now fight it as "discrimination",
and an "unfair ruling"???

Bingo.....my thoughts exactly !

ajr5406
01-12-2017, 05:55 PM
If an American were to come to BC and hire a guide it would cost over $20,000 to shoot a ram, yet someone can poach one illegally and only get a $2000 slap on the wrist???

westcom
01-12-2017, 06:04 PM
Custodians of the Land?? Where these animals not introduced into Kamloops, they where not a source of food for their forefathers? Why three of such a limited resource. I used to hunt a small area near there for moose. One native family from the coast came in for 10 days and shot 8 moose! Craziest thing I ever saw. I knew one of them who now lives in Kamloops and probably doesn't hunt that area for moose anymore, since it never really recovered. If they cant police themselves it is time for us to police them again, these sheep are one small example of several that go unnoticed.

Buckmeister
01-12-2017, 06:13 PM
She was accompanied by her husband and daughter at the time of the hunt.

Van Damme said Tk’emlups and Skeetchestn Indian bands both manage bighorn sheep populations and typically require their members to obtain a permit before hunting for sheep.

“In speaking with chief and council . . . there was no support for this hunt.”

Wonder why the husband and daughter did not receive charges??

What non-natives may not realize is that bands in this area dole out their own form of justice with wayward members that the public may never hear about. What kind of justice is left up to their discretion and I have heard it can be very effective (one example I have heard of is an Amish style shunning by the entire community). Whether or not that happens in this case we will likely never know.

Bonz
01-12-2017, 06:15 PM
lol, and once again liers...i mean lawyers and deals to plead to lesser charges..

westcom
01-12-2017, 06:23 PM
The animals where harvested in Kamloops without support of local band, in other words poached. They should face the same charges as a non-native, and remember all 3 where taken with no authorization from local band, so x3.

LYKTOHUNT
01-12-2017, 06:32 PM
As some have said they should be allowed to hunt, just the same as non natives, same rules, same penalties for breaking the rules. this ceramonial and sustenance hunting business is total BS especially in non remote areas, they totally abuse that card

Ohwildwon
01-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Far more important then the money, is this person was actually convicted...

If this seemingly dysfunctional family isn't sociopathic,

a large dose of healthy shaming in the community can go along way..

walks with deer
01-12-2017, 07:28 PM
I know some of the kamloops local harvesters I am suprised the band did not call for hirer charges I will AK them tomorow what the deal is.
natives can only harvest in there traditional area unless they get permission from The areas band or its poaching...

huntcoop
01-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Wonder what would have happened if the accused was Caucasian?

Bigdoggdon
01-12-2017, 08:41 PM
We will never have any kind of racial harmony in this country as long as there are two different sets of laws for two different groups of people. I'm actually surprized that there were even charges laid in this case much less a conviction. Reports of First Nations "hunters" abusing their so called sustenance hunting rights are commonplace. Pit Lamping, Hunting out of season, hunting without any regard for bag limits seems to be the norm. It's actually refreshing to see the Conservation Officers taking a stand on this one.

huntcoop
01-12-2017, 08:53 PM
... It's actually refreshing to see the Conservation Officers taking a stand on this one.

My guess would be that this "stand" was species specific.

Xenomorph
01-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Ire, frustrations, calls for justice will do nothing. We need to get involved, into everything, politics, groups.

4 point
01-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Sad matter indeed. Should not be a two tiered system. It will only get worse I am afraid.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-12-2017, 10:08 PM

Nog

No doubt! But even then, fines don't work because people have money. What's a guided sheep hunt worth anyhow? 30g's or so? Haven't done one myself or looked into it seriously so couldn't tell you. Either way, it's a bummer to take away so much Sheep for no reason.

Yet these sheep are now free from the harsh and cruel world... Just hope the shots were good. What else can a guy do at this point?

HarryToolips
01-12-2017, 10:28 PM
two grand?? What an effing joke! :evil:
Three rams. Should have been $50,000 per ram minimum imo.

Unfrickingreal! :mad:
Nog
x2.............

Asco
01-12-2017, 11:26 PM
I don't like being on the wrong side of an apartheid system. Fair should be fair for all. Wildlife obviously needs protection from poachers of all types so everyone can enjoy it.

Iron Glove
01-13-2017, 12:20 AM
I'm a bit confused, it starts out by saying "poaching" which I take to mean the illegal killing of an animal but then says she was charged and pled guilty to failing to remove the meat ?
It also says that the natives are allowed to hunt for sustenance.
Are they saying that she was allowed to kill the sheep but as she only kept the meat of 2 of the sheep and a bit of the 3rd ergo the crime?
Not trying in any way to diminish or accept the wrong doings here but basically, WTF really happened?
Poaching ? I don't see that ?

604Stalker
01-13-2017, 06:19 AM
Charge her the 20000 per ram. Not like it wouldent get paid with tax money :( this is ridiculous. Shooting a ram off the road out of season. Meanwhile we cant even come close to a tag.

MB_Boy
01-13-2017, 07:00 AM
Sad, sad punishment.

srupp
01-13-2017, 07:05 AM
Hmm being done for decades..Spenses Bridge.. met 3 of em over past 5 years..picture of choker rams by the highway in Dec..jan. .when i asked how the meat tastes in January kill..none knew..they hate the taste of sage.!
Been seeking my own first rocky ram..was offered a cape...horns for sale...grrrrrrr.
Assinine".....
Steven

.308SLAYER
01-13-2017, 07:34 AM
Wonder what would have happened if the accused was Caucasian?

You wanted to know what would happen if this person was caucasion funny how no one remembers this guy Caucasion is he not oh yah the natives are the only ones who poach......http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/105798/Penticton-man-fined-1-500-for-poaching

.308SLAYER
01-13-2017, 07:36 AM
1495 and that's a bighorn and some mule deer now thats a joke. There is no right in what this women has done I would think she was in in to sell the parts not good.

boxhitch
01-13-2017, 08:03 AM
I'm a bit confused, it starts out by saying "poaching" which I take to mean the illegal killing of an animal but then says she was charged and pled guilty to failing to remove the meat ?
Are they saying that she was allowed to kill the sheep but as she only kept the meat of 2 of the sheep and a bit of the 3rd ergo the crime?
Not trying in any way to diminish or accept the wrong doings here but basically, WTF really happened?
Poaching ? I don't see that ?IMO The 'poaching' reference is by the reporter/paper, his own slant.
Agreed, there may be more to the story, plea bargaining or whatever, but they found one that stuck to the wall when thrown

'edible portions' is pretty weak but The milestone is that a charge was laid and ran its course.
The edible portions and animal wastage/utilization rules in BC are a joke compared to the Yukon

Bonz
01-13-2017, 08:13 AM
Poaching ? I don't see that ?

thats the lawyers plea deal. c.o will stack as many charges as he feels fit. then crown picks through what he feels will stick and makes deals to save them work and still be paid, they do that for any crimes

BgBlkDg
01-13-2017, 08:29 AM
You wanted to know what would happen if this person was caucasion funny how no one remembers this guy Caucasion is he not oh yah the natives are the only ones who poach......http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/105798/Penticton-man-fined-1-500-for-poaching

There does not appear to be ANY reference to this scumbags race or even his name.........makes me wonder why.

Bonz
01-13-2017, 08:31 AM
im going to assume white, since they mention a deer limit of 1, and he had shot 2 mules. and natives dont have a limit.

correction*, wasnt native. could be any race other than

westcom
01-13-2017, 08:43 AM
I think they should be able to hunt what their forefathers hunted on their native lands. This does not include sheep introduced into the Kamloops area by us white guys. If they want to hunt off the reserve at anytime they should have to enter a LEH system, so we can get some of the money we keep giving them back. If they poach on crown land as this was, they shouldn't be treated like some kid, slapped on the wrist. Us white guys are such wimps. We are letting other white guys that live in Ottawa slower take away our hunting areas, now our local judicial system fails horribly dealing with a serious crime and the local band does nothing to protect the animals agreed to manage with these insane rules Ottawa granted him. I really don't think a 1000 years ago natives where using 300 magnums out of trucks off roads, hundreds of miles from their village. I am just surprised this wasn't at night. If I was one of these "custodians of the land" I would be ashamed and demand a band meeting over this.
I am white, but my forefathers have been hear since the turn of the century, when will my kin be considered native. I say once your family has 100 years then we enter a level paying field. If it remains 2 tiered it will just create more anger and hatred.

BgBlkDg
01-13-2017, 09:00 AM
Good points, BUT, the *stewards* tell us that BC is ALL theirs and most leftist and even some rightwing politicians seem to concur.

The anger and hatred is here NOW and this is deliberately fostered BY governments and corporations in service of a certain agenda.

Your final point would never fly as many would choose to insist that a different criteria than *100 years* be used to decide the status concerned. The *human rights* industry of fascists, foreigners and parasites would go *postal* with this!

ajr5406
01-13-2017, 10:20 AM
What if "their traditional lands" crossed over the (now) US border? Can they cross over and hunt in the US without adhering to US hunting rules?

01-13-2017, 10:23 AM
What if "their traditional lands" crossed over the (now) US border? Can they cross over and hunt in the US without adhering to US hunting rules?

they ARE doing it in the Koots ....... No consequences. Have at ER. Come to Canada, you can do any thing ya want if your not Caucasian .

Iron Glove
01-13-2017, 10:32 AM
IMO The 'poaching' reference is by the reporter/paper, his own slant.
Agreed, there may be more to the story, plea bargaining or whatever, but they found one that stuck to the wall when thrown

'edible portions' is pretty weak but The milestone is that a charge was laid and ran its course.
The edible portions and animal wastage/utilization rules in BC are a joke compared to the Yukon

OK but if the hunt was legal as a sustenance hunt the "poaching" doesn't enter into the equation at all so we have to ignore that.
The article also says she reported the hunt and brought in parts of the animals to the CO for reporting and identification which would presumably have occurred prior to the charges being laid ? That would seem to indicate that she was complying with the legal requirements of a legal hunt. If she thought she was "poaching" or whatever, she most certainly wouldn't have walked into the CO's Office saying "Look what I have." Doesn't make any sense.
The article speaks of initially 3 charges but for what - she only left the meat of one animal. It was bargained down to one charge, what were the other charges.
So if all she did ( again I am not in any way trying to diminish or validate her actions ) was legally shoot 3 animals and left parts of 1, what would the usual fine be?
There's something missing here, maybe it's lousy reporting, I don't know.

BgBlkDg
01-13-2017, 10:38 AM
they ARE doing it in the Koots ....... No consequences. Have at ER. Come to Canada, you can do any thing ya want if your not Caucasian .

There has been a case in the court at Nelson, all autumn concerning this atrocity and I posted on it several months ago.

These Yankees, have tribe members of obvious *Negroid* ancestry and can-do make others of various ethnicities *members* as they choose. So, IF they get the OK to hunt in the Kootenays, as-when they wish, the entrance-hunting of OTHER Yanks, will soon follow........

This, IS NOT some minor issue, the Yankees have always seen Canada, as *theirs* and many still do. The aboriginals concerned, of MIXED racial origins, ARE NOT Canadians, but, could soon enjoy *rights* far greater than we who were born here and whose families built BC.

I have posted on the Nelson Star, on this last Sept. and a couple weeks before Christmas and made it VERY CLEAR that if I encounter Yankee *Indians* poaching in the Kootenays, I WILL treat them as invaders and will NOT hesitate to *go tactical*.

In any event, I doubt that any BC aborigines, WILL EVER really cooperate with us as they would, if involved, use this to further bolster their vile *land claims* and I do NOT trust any of them.

.308SLAYER
01-13-2017, 10:57 AM
There has been a case in the court at Nelson, all autumn concerning this atrocity and I posted on it several months ago.

These Yankees, have tribe members of obvious *Negroid* ancestry and can-do make others of various ethnicities *members* as they choose. So, IF they get the OK to hunt in the Kootenays, as-when they wish, the entrance-hunting of OTHER Yanks, will soon follow........

This, IS NOT some minor issue, the Yankees have always seen Canada, as *theirs* and many still do. The aboriginals concerned, of MIXED racial origins, ARE NOT Canadians, but, could soon enjoy *rights* far greater than we who were born here and whose families built BC.

I have posted on the Nelson Star, on this last Sept. and a couple weeks before Christmas and made it VERY CLEAR that if I encounter Yankee *Indians* poaching in the Kootenays, I WILL treat them as invaders and will NOT hesitate to *go tactical*.

In any event, I doubt that any BC aborigines, WILL EVER really cooperate with us as they would, if involved, use this to further bolster their vile *land claims* and I do NOT trust any of them.

Reading this comment I didn't even have to look who it was coming from to know who was writing it. if there was a kkk in canada you would b in it. You seem to be well educated but just stink of hatred some people will never change. AND threatening people's lives on the Internet saying you would kill a certain group if you seen them in the bush just shows what kind of person you are.

BgBlkDg
01-13-2017, 11:09 AM
Your reading comprehension is as pathetic as your epistolary abilities as I have not posted any such comment. So, perhaps try to understand as your comments above are VERY close to *actionable* and I would NOT hesitate.

Get it?

westcom
01-13-2017, 11:11 AM
OK but if the hunt was legal as a sustenance hunt the "poaching" doesn't enter into the equation at all so we have to ignore that.
The article also says she reported the hunt and brought in parts of the animals to the CO for reporting and identification which would presumably have occurred prior to the charges being laid ? That would seem to indicate that she was complying with the legal requirements of a legal hunt. If she thought she was "poaching" or whatever, she most certainly wouldn't have walked into the CO's Office saying "Look what I have." Doesn't make any sense.
The article speaks of initially 3 charges but for what - she only left the meat of one animal. It was bargained down to one charge, what were the other charges.
So if all she did ( again I am not in any way trying to diminish or validate her actions ) was legally shoot 3 animals and left parts of 1, what would the usual fine be?

The local bands don't let their own people hunt the sheep without consent. She came in an took three sheep in another bands area. Just because she went to the CO's doesn't make it not poaching. Stupidity doesn't make you except from the rules, if it does then we are in trouble. To think natives from all over BC can come in an target such a closely monitored and managed species in an area such as this is completely ignorant.

bearvalley
01-13-2017, 11:16 AM

Its legal for her to shoot, retrieve and consume all 3 rams.
Is it moral and legal for her to shoot 3 rams and not utilize the meat....no.
Its not legal for her to sell any parts of the rams whatsoever.
The horns and capes were useless to her without a CI.
The horns and capes were confiscated by the COS.

Ubertuber
01-13-2017, 01:04 PM

LOl, yeah okay...

It's a sad state of affairs when a small segment of our society can do what they do just because of their blood line. Even sadder is the guilt ridden urbanites that support this two tiered citizenship.

westcom
01-13-2017, 01:18 PM
If this wasn't poaching then we are all in big trouble. We handed the rights over to the bands to govern certain areas. The bands require other bands to get authorization before hunting on their land. She did not have this right, this was poached from the local band at the least. To say it is legal for her to shoot demonstrates the exact problem. The Kamloops Indian band guards their sheep, sells tags for huge sums of money. At least they are managing the stock. If it is legal for them to shoot, I am sure they will be all gone in short order.

Bonz
01-13-2017, 01:44 PM
Its legal for her to shoot, retrieve and consume all 3 rams.
Is it moral and legal for her to shoot 3 rams and not utilize the meat....no.
Its not legal for her to sell any parts of the rams whatsoever.
The horns and capes were useless to her without a CI.
The horns and capes were confiscated by the COS.

is not legal. the band said she didnt have permission from the band. and if i recall it wasnt even her bands land? protected animals arent on their kill at will rights. they cant touch them either unless thiers an opening for all, they have to apply for leh same as us

Bonz
01-13-2017, 01:50 PM
The ministry recognizes that status Indians have an Aboriginal
right to hunt. You may be
exempt from having to buy a hunting licence if:
• you’re a status Indian, and
• a BC resident.
This means you don’t have to buy a licence.
But your right to hunt only applies if you’re hunting: for sustenance purposes, which includes:
○food,
○social, and ceremonial purposes;
• within areas you can prove your people traditionally used; and
• only in accordance with:
○public health,
○safety, and
○conservation purposes

In cases where conservation is an issue, you may have to apply for a
Limited Entry Hunt permit. (This is sometimes called an LEH pemit.)

This applies even if you intend to hunt in your traditional area

Bonz
01-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Van Damme said Tk’emlups and Skeetchestn Indian bands both manage bighorn sheep populations and typically require their members to obtain a permit before hunting for sheep

poaching, plain and simple. had no permission or permit

Dannybuoy
01-13-2017, 02:05 PM
is not legal. the band said she didnt have permission from the band. and if i recall it wasnt even her bands land? protected animals arent on their kill at will rights. they cant touch them either unless thiers an opening for all, they have to apply for leh same as us

You are assuming that "our" law applies to band members ... basically she was convicted on a technicality (not taking the meat of 1 )
bearvalley had it right IMO
Not saying that I even remotely agree with this system ...

Bonz
01-13-2017, 02:13 PM
im not assuming anything., i know what their laws are. she need a permit from the chiefs own words. an did not have that, nor even asked. just posrted the 2 bands in charge and their statement above your post. they even say shes a poacher

Bonz
01-13-2017, 02:15 PM
are these leh in that area, id assume so?

bearvalley
01-13-2017, 02:29 PM
Bonz, I never said that what went on is right.
Good luck on defining the traditional hunting territory of an Ashcroft, Cache Creek or Kamloops FN band member.
Im pretty sure the crown figured out it would be a waste of effort to pursue that further.

westcom
01-13-2017, 02:29 PM
These are LEH, I think 2 rams 2 yews per year.

The Kamloops Indian band also has 2 on a lottery for Sun Rivers and dew drop. They get proceeds form one and conservation associations get funds for other. They where going for over 500k last time I saw. I know some American took 1 two years in a row. I may have some of this wrong or it may have changed, don't really have the funds to step up to the table anyway. If anyone has any info on it post it. It shows how much the Kamloops Indian band wouldn't appreciate it if it was one of their Rams.

Bonz
01-13-2017, 02:37 PM
Bonz, I never said that what went on is right.
Good luck on defining the traditional hunting territory of an Ashcroft, Cache Creek or Kamloops FN band member.
Im pretty sure the crown figured out it would be a waste of effort to pursue that further.

oh i know your not deffending this. but it is illegal, even the 2 chiefs said it was, thats usualy why the plea deals, that land territory crap. if they settled it, then they`d be a hell of alot more charges.

Dannybuoy
01-13-2017, 03:11 PM
oh i know your not deffending this. but it is illegal, even the 2 chiefs said it was, thats usualy why the plea deals, that land territory crap. if they settled it, then they`d be a hell of alot more charges.

I wasn't defending it either . Just saying that their(her) "right "(federal) to hunt for food override the bands rules . That's why when she didn't take the meat , she wasn't sustenance hunting .

Downtown
01-13-2017, 04:48 PM
Baby step in the right direction !

Cheers

REMINGTON JIM
01-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Its ALL BullSh*t ! :mad: there should NOT be any special HUNTING priviledges for any one ! including any and all Natives- First Nations and or Indians ! jmo RJ

Sharpish
01-13-2017, 05:34 PM
$2000 is pathetic. That's 6 hours of a lawyers time. $200 000 and a bankruptcy would be more appropriate. Let her shiver in the cold and burn sheep fat for light when her hydro is cut off.

Bugle M In
01-13-2017, 06:27 PM
A 2000 $ fine is not a very substantial deterrent for "anyone", if the reason for killing game illegally is because they are selling
parts in the black market"
As stated by others, selling a set of Ram horns for 20,000$ under the table is much more tempting, than worrying about
paying a 2000$ fine from time to time.
These type of people don't care whether they hold on to their "hunting license's" or losing them as punishment.

And we wonder why animals on the planet are going "extinct".

cruiser
01-14-2017, 12:18 AM
some ambiguous statements:

Crown prosecutor Joel Gold said on Nov. 9, 2014, conservation officers found two of the three dead rams within 10 metres of a logging road in an area north of Kamloops Lake while the third was about 500 metres away on a slope.

They had been killed the previous day. While meat was removed from two of the animals, most of the meat from the third ram was left on the hillside.

Kato, a member of the Ashcroft Indian Band , was originally charged with three counts of failing to remove edible portions of a carcass, but two of the counts were dropped in return for her pleading guilty to the single charge.

Judge Chris Cleaveley sentenced Kato to a $2,000 fine. All but $100 of that amount will go to the B.C. Habitat Conservation Trust Fund. As part of the deal, she forfeited her right to trophy parts — the cape and the skull and horns.

Kato did bring the head and horns to ministry officials for identification and reporting. They were seized.

Seems they wouldn't charge 3 counts failing to remove meat if it was only the one ram that was left on the hill? Then the "seized head and cape" are stated as singular, not plural. So was she only charged $2000 and allowed to keep the other 2 rams? And nobody would have heard about this if she stopped at the 2 roadside rams? Sad

Gateholio
01-14-2017, 12:41 AM

Go tactical? You need to chill out, too. See you in a couple of days....

Bonz
01-14-2017, 07:18 AM
some ambiguous statements:

Kato, a member of the Ashcroft Indian Band , was originally charged with three counts of failing to remove edible portions of a carcass, but two of the counts were dropped in return for her pleading guilty to the single charge.

Seems they wouldn't charge 3 counts failing to remove meat if it was only the one ram that was left on the hill? Then the "seized head and cape" are stated as singular, not plural. So was she only charged $2000 and allowed to keep the other 2 rams? And nobody would have heard about this if she stopped at the 2 roadside rams? Sad

doesnt even make sence to have 3 counts of leaving meat when their own words say only 1 had left meat on it.
another one that was odd is she took them in to be reported as law says., is like she had no clue she was actualy breaking a law, i doubt most have their inspected if they knew they were illegal. something there dont make sence either

Bonz
01-14-2017, 07:19 AM
and what was comments about selling parts for..i saw nothing that said that was her intentions. what brought that up?
we seem to be missing the 3rd side, the truth lol

Iron Glove
01-14-2017, 10:03 AM
and what was comments about selling parts for..i saw nothing that said that was her intentions. what brought that up?
we seem to be missing the 3rd side, the truth lol

That's what I was getting at in my posts about the original article, somethings just don't add up.