PDA

View Full Version : Spring grizzly

srupp
01-12-2017, 07:47 AM
Hmmm time is a ticking..remember to get those spring grizzly leh thought out, submitted....
Good luck to all.
Cheers
Steven

swampthing
01-12-2017, 07:04 PM
I still gotta figure out how to get that new hunter #. Computers are a bitch!

LupieHunter
01-12-2017, 07:53 PM
I still gotta figure out how to get that new hunter #. Computers are a bitch!
You can get it from Service BC.

LupieHunter
01-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Or follow these instructions: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/job-aids/job_aid_-_how_to_create_a_new_profile_-_for_new_hunters_only.pdf

604ksmith
01-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Submitted. Fingers crossed.

Swampthing, get on it!

untilthelastbeat
01-12-2017, 08:18 PM
The options are killing me!

gmachine19
01-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Gonna give it 1 more year till I start applying. Need to trim the belly fat and get a few more things (like a reliable truck!) :D

bc_buckshot
01-12-2017, 09:01 PM
When is the due date again?

griffincarruthers
01-12-2017, 09:01 PM
Whats the deadline for entry?

markomoose
01-12-2017, 09:23 PM
February 10/2017.

griffincarruthers
01-12-2017, 09:34 PM
thanks eh!

HarryToolips
01-12-2017, 10:31 PM
Just waiting to co ordinate everything with my partner, if we get one I'll be stoked...

moosinaround
01-13-2017, 07:11 AM
Entered! Sure hope to find a big color phase blackie too this spring!! Good luck HBCers!! Moosin

snipersights
01-13-2017, 09:05 AM
I hear you g machine. I'm hitting the gym hard as I can until I go. And gotta fix the truck hahaha

swampthing
01-14-2017, 10:28 AM
Lupihunter, appreciate the link but I still managed to screw it up. Hate this online crap! I got my fancy new FWID # and then entered my LEH codes. Just as I clicked next and went to a payment screen I noticed I didn't select the "will accept substitute hunt" box. I hit the back button, clicked that box and re clicked submit. Now a red message comes up and tells me I have already applied for that hunt! I didn't pay for it!! Anybody got any tips on fixing that!!!

LeverActionJunkie
01-14-2017, 11:28 AM
If I remember correct swamp thing you just have to wait a bit then you can log back in and it should be waiting for you to do final submission.

Wild one
01-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Just get your kids to teach you how to do LEH on line seems to only take my son 1 min to do anything online VS weeks for me lol

swampthing
01-14-2017, 06:38 PM
Just did a re-submission for my LEH and all went well! Thanks guys. Cant wait!!

nap
01-15-2017, 05:16 PM
Let the planning begin swampthing!!!!!.

Caribou_lou
01-15-2017, 05:20 PM
Gonna give it 1 more year till I start applying. Need to trim the belly fat and get a few more things (like a reliable truck!) :D

You may be waiting a lot longer than a year after the Election in May... I'd suggest you give it a go this year!

sausage lover
01-22-2017, 09:37 PM
Just finished applying for first Grizz! Can't wait for spring:D

sausage lover
01-23-2017, 11:38 AM
Anyone hunt Gbear back of Adams TumTum area? First go for grizz just lookin for a shove in the right direction:-) I kill Bbears every spring but grizz seems to be on the next level!My weapon of choice tikka t3 in 30-06 with hand loaded 165 grain GMX! Right now I'm thinking shoulder shot inside 300 yards! Feel free to give advice!

Bonz
01-23-2017, 11:43 AM
dam, kinda small grain ammo for grizzly isnt that?

bacon_overlord
01-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Hey sausage want to move this to a new thread? I could use some advice and Intel too, just put in for Grizzly also!

Got
Anyone hunt Gbear back of Adams TumTum area? First go for grizz just lookin for a shove in the right direction:-) I kill Bbears every spring but grizz seems to be on the next level!My weapon of choice tikka t3 in 30-06 with hand loaded 165 grain GMX! Right now I'm thinking shoulder shot inside 300 yards! Feel free to give advice!

Backwoods
01-23-2017, 04:36 PM
Put in and planned!!

Surrey Boy
01-23-2017, 05:07 PM
dam, kinda small grain ammo for grizzly isnt that?

Monometals run on a whole different standard.

I'd like to hunt grizzly, but I just don't have an interest in taxidermy, and my freezers are overflowing with black bear and venison. I also hate government bureaucracy, in this case compulsory inspection.

eric
01-23-2017, 06:24 PM
Put in, odds are tuff. They only allow for 1 tag.
See the darn things daily where I work.
The Gubernment people should do a ride along, maybe it would open up a few more tags..wishing

swampthing
01-23-2017, 07:13 PM

You have lots of horsepower there! I have packed my 270 short with 130gr GMX and those will shoot a hole through the biggest grizz I might ever find!

Bonz
01-23-2017, 07:16 PM
Monometals run on a whole different standard.

I'd like to hunt grizzly, but I just don't have an interest in taxidermy, and my freezers are overflowing with black bear and venison. I also hate government bureaucracy, in this case compulsory inspection.

oh, never gone after them myself either. always just see guys using big grain stuff over 200. im same. no way i could afford the taxidermy, and i kind of doubt id eat one unless it was processed, and i cant afford that either..lol i wont even eat the big older black, to tough and chewy for me..

Surrey Boy
01-23-2017, 07:30 PM
I eat grizzly meat. Tastes the same as black bear, and it's always been ground. Friend of mine got a bison and grizz in the same season, much of it came to my freezer.

limit time
01-23-2017, 07:47 PM
Done and done ! Once I figured out the online ting, it's not bad.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-24-2017, 06:38 PM
You have lots of horsepower there! I have packed my 270 short with 130gr GMX and those will shoot a hole through the biggest grizz I might ever find!

Not a personal story, in print for all to see though (Predator Nation 2017) in 2 separate occasions a guide named Martin Holder killed Grizzly (one head/brain stem shot the second a spine shot) in defense with a pre 1970 Husqvarna in .270 Winchester. I can't recall off hand but don't think the specific load was mentioned, just that it was .270 Win. My guess would be ordinary soft points. Anyhow, like I always say, Bears are certainly not bulletproof! Ordinary small bore cartridges certainly can get alot of work done.

Good luck in the draw Folks!

:)

snipersights
01-24-2017, 07:07 PM
I don't know I've shot a bear with a 308 and it drilled him. Then this year mosin nagant 7.62 two shots one shoulder head on and one lung from the side when he ran past me. Didn't die had to use a 12 gauge slug to the neck. 3" does the trick. All about placement however a bigger cartridge helps. My go too is a 338 win mag. Put my entries in today fingers crossed.

sausage lover
01-26-2017, 08:50 AM
Grizzly bullets for my 30-06? 200 gr accubond or partition,165 gr Gmx,Barnes 165 TSX,175 LRX or 180gr Tsx? Thoughts on projectile choices for this caliber,thnks1

Travalanche
01-26-2017, 10:14 AM
Done. Hoping to put the new Marlin 1895 GBL 45/70 to work.

markomoose
01-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Went to Wholesale with my son today.They asked me if I tried at home and I told them I'm still cleaning up the pieces from my computer.Seriously tho 2 draws in and fingers crossed.Rocky Mountain Trench??

Surreyslam
01-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Does anyone remember date or results last year?
Maybe earlier results this year?

Wild one
01-28-2017, 05:12 PM
Grizzly bullets for my 30-06? 200 gr accubond or partition,165 gr Gmx,Barnes 165 TSX,175 LRX or 180gr Tsx? Thoughts on projectile choices for this caliber,thnks1

Which ever is most accurate as all will work. I would keep my shots 150yards or less but that is more personal opinion. Make your first shot count and all is well

Have watched grizz drop just fine with a 30 06. I have personally attempted with a bow every time drawn but this spring I am going to up grade to muzzleloader or my 30 06. If it was not for all the anti's trying to shut down the hunt I would stick to the bow.

Grizz are tough but they are still flesh and bone. Should be respected but not made of steel

sausage lover
01-28-2017, 05:27 PM
Which ever is most accurate as all will work. I would keep my shots 150yards or less but that is more personal opinion. Make your first shot count and all is well

Have watched grizz drop just fine with a 30 06. I have personally attempted with a bow every time drawn but this spring I am going to up grade to muzzleloader or my 30 06. If it was not for all the anti's trying to shut down the hunt I would stick to the bow.

Grizz are tough but they are still flesh and bone. Should be respected but not made of steel Good to hear others experiences with grizz makes me feel a bit more confident on my cartridge choice. Think I will stick with the 165gmx for Gbear and keep the shot not to close and not to far:-)

Wild one
01-28-2017, 05:41 PM
Good to hear others experiences with grizz makes me feel a bit more confident on my cartridge choice. Think I will stick with the 165gmx for Gbear and keep the shot not to close and not to far:-)

Personally I have no issue with being close to healthy grizz. Only reason I have not arrowed one is being picky and they seem to run away if they smell me lol. It is a wounded grizz I would fear.

Because of this I will stick to chip shot range I am 100% on.

sausage lover
01-28-2017, 06:33 PM
I would love to witness a pass through on a big bear but not with me as the bowhunter:shock: I would be back up with 06:-D

hunterkyle
02-06-2017, 10:27 PM
Application done......fingers crossed

leadpillproductions
02-06-2017, 10:34 PM
All 4 of us done for spring g bear come on its my year

markomoose
02-07-2017, 07:02 PM
Friday is the last day Boys & Girls!

elch jager
02-08-2017, 12:38 PM
Well... after about 2 years of consideration I put in for a Grizzly tag. When I first joined here my outlook was to only hunt for meat. With well articulated argument, many here have made the case for managing predators. I have been swayed from being against to being tolerant to being accepting and now to participating...

Eye opening papers like:
Grizzly Bears and Reality - Debunking Environmental Mythology by Gary Shelton
Bear Events in Bella Coola Valley During 2014 by Ryan Parr and Christina Hoppe
and the
Scientific Review of Grizzly Bear Harvest Management System in British Columbia

... have convinced me.

It is a hunt proven to be sustainable as well as necessary for public safety and increased survival of ungulates.

Also, I hate uninformed or misinformed emotional arguments by persons who have such an inflated opinion of themselves that they presume to try and impose their own values on others...

With good fortune and planning, I hope to report back by the end of May with a bear... might even take a picture - if only to send to Miley's fan mail... 'cause her antics have pushed me over the edge...

HarryToolips
02-08-2017, 01:07 PM
^^^^amen brother.....got mine in, fingers crossed...

todbartell
02-08-2017, 01:54 PM
applied. It's nice excuse to get out in the mountains in the spring. Give the bugs something to chew on! :D

j270wsm
02-08-2017, 11:03 PM
Applied for grizz leh for me and Evan a few weeks ago. Opened my email today to find this bull sh*t.

Dear Hunter,

You have applied for the spring grizzly bear Limited Entry Hunt in the South Rockies Grizzly Bear Population Unit (GBPU), area 4-21 (hunt code 3103), 4-22 (hunt code 3104), 4-23A (hunt code 3105), 4-23B (hunt code 3106), or 4-24 (hunt code 3108). Please be aware that these hunts have all been closed.

The numbers provided in the 2015/2016 LEH synopsis are the spring 2016 issued authorizations, and are not what is available for the 2017 spring draw. The tentative number of authorizations for the 2017 spring draw are made available in late January, when the population estimate work has been conducted. The best available science indicates that the population estimate for this GBPU has decreased significantly and can no longer sustain a hunter harvest.

The number of authorizations for the above noted hunt codes will be set to zero, and therefore your LEH application will not be successful. There are 2 options that you have available to you.

1) Leave your LEH application as-is, with no opportunity to be successful.
2) Void your LEH application and apply for another spring grizzly bear hunt that is open. You will be required to submit payment for the new application. For more information on how to void an LEH application visithttp://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/job-aids/hunter-instructions--void-an-leh-application.pdf.

If you would like to request a refund for the $6.30 application fee, please submit a letter requesting this to the address below. Refund requests must be received no later than March 31, 2017 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/x-apple-data-detectors://3). Refunds will take approximately 4-6 weeks to process.

Sincerely,

Fish and Wildlife Branch

Limited Entry Hunting
Fish and Wildlife Branch
2975 Jutland Road (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/x-apple-data-detectors://5)
PO Box 9389 STN PROV GOVT (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/x-apple-data-detectors://6)
Victoria B.C. V8W 9M7 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/x-apple-data-detectors://6)

my opinion....... The grizz population is extremely healthy in 4-23 A & B and could sustain both a spring and fall hunt.

Salmon Belly
02-08-2017, 11:19 PM
Well... after about 2 years of consideration I put in for a Grizzly tag. When I first joined here my outlook was to only hunt for meat. With well articulated argument, many here have made the case for managing predators. I have been swayed from being against to being tolerant to being accepting and now to participating...

Eye opening papers like:
Grizzly Bears and Reality - Debunking Environmental Mythology by Gary Shelton
Bear Events in Bella Coola Valley During 2014 by Ryan Parr and Christina Hoppe
and the
Scientific Review of Grizzly Bear Harvest Management System in British Columbia

... have convinced me.

It is a hunt proven to be sustainable as well as necessary for public safety and increased survival of ungulates.

Also, I hate uninformed or misinformed emotional arguments by persons who have such an inflated opinion of themselves that they presume to try and impose their own values on others...

With good fortune and planning, I hope to report back by the end of May with a bear... might even take a picture - if only to send to Miley's fan mail... 'cause her antics have pushed me over the edge...

If you knock one down give the meat a try -- you must just debunk what many consider to be another myth.

SB

rzycio
02-08-2017, 11:27 PM
Applied for grizz leh for me and Evan a few weeks ago. Opened my email today to find this bull sh*t.

Dear Hunter,

You have applied for the spring grizzly bear Limited Entry Hunt in the South Rockies Grizzly Bear Population Unit (GBPU), area 4-21 (hunt code 3103), 4-22 (hunt code 3104), 4-23A (hunt code 3105), 4-23B (hunt code 3106), or 4-24 (hunt code 3108). Please be aware that these hunts have all been closed.

The numbers provided in the 2015/2016 LEH synopsis are the spring 2016 issued authorizations, and are not what is available for the 2017 spring draw. The tentative number of authorizations for the 2017 spring draw are made available in late January, when the population estimate work has been conducted. The best available science indicates that the population estimate for this GBPU has decreased significantly and can no longer sustain a hunter harvest.

The number of authorizations for the above noted hunt codes will be set to zero, and therefore your LEH application will not be successful. There are 2 options that you have available to you.

2) Void your LEH application and apply for another spring grizzly bear hunt that is open. You will be required to submit payment for the new application. For more information on how to void an LEH application visithttp://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/job-aids/hunter-instructions--void-an-leh-application.pdf.

If you would like to request a refund for the $6.30 application fee, please submit a letter requesting this to the address below. Refund requests must be received no later than March 31, 2017 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/x-apple-data-detectors://3). Refunds will take approximately 4-6 weeks to process.

Sincerely,

Fish and Wildlife Branch

Limited Entry Hunting
Fish and Wildlife Branch
PO Box 9389 STN PROV GOVT (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/x-apple-data-detectors://6)
Victoria B.C. V8W 9M7 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/x-apple-data-detectors://6)

my opinion....... The grizz population is extremely healthy in 4-23 A & B and could sustain both a spring and fall hunt.

Wish I had read this half an hour ago when I submitted for 4-21 or 4-22 as well, wouldn't have wasted the time.

charlie_horse
02-09-2017, 08:31 AM
I got the same email Joe, little depressing 2 days before the draw closes. Seen our fair share of grizz in the coupke weeks we were there this year. Let alone the bunch of different grizz the other guys we were camped with seen. Who does the count for those areas?

souwester
02-09-2017, 10:24 AM

Dear Hunter,

Sincerely,

Fish and Wildlife Branch

Limited Entry Hunting
Fish and Wildlife Branch

I agree,what a joke.

Common sense and experience obviously "trumped" by the "best science".

markomoose
02-09-2017, 04:27 PM
One more day people.I believe its important to show the individuals who want to shut down Grizzly hunting by putting in for these LEH opportunities.Good luck to all and Cheers Mark

snipersights
02-09-2017, 05:29 PM
I'm curious to see how long it takes to process the applications now that it's done online.

Lukeez88
02-09-2017, 10:25 PM

This is bull. I got the same email yesterday. So they give ONLY me 48 hr notice that i need to find a new leh draw to apply for if i want to hunt grizz?!?!?! They take my $6.30 with the click of a mouse, and then i have to beg and plead to get me 6 bucks back!?!?! Corrupt system I tell you

snipersights
02-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Print the email off, wipe your ass with it, then mail it to them.

bacon_overlord
02-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Anyone know when the results might be out? I'm growing a moustache in anticipation. I heard on another forum that it's in the regs you can't hunt grizz without one.

Surrey Boy
02-12-2017, 05:53 PM
One more day people.I believe its important to show the individuals who want to shut down Grizzly hunting by putting in for these LEH opportunities.Good luck to all and Cheers Mark

What would I do if I won?