PDA

View Full Version : unhappy spot customer

Fixit
01-11-2017, 05:19 PM
I received a spot gen3 for christmas 13 months ago, and sure enough, there was an automatic charge on my credit card this month, for 65US$ more than last year. WTF?

so i call customer support, wait 20 mins on hold, where they explain that i had enhanced tracking, plus a 15 dollar maintence fee was added

things started off well when i explained that i just wanted basic service (149.99)," total will be 165" she says. I ask why their website says its 149.99 and she says theres a system maintence fee.
I told her im not interested in paying that fee - she says i have to.....

so i cancelled my service. said i did not appreciate getting upgraded and additional fees added ( she couldnt have cared less )

end rant of unhappy customer

what else is out there for similar "keep GF/wife happy at home"

Badlands62
01-11-2017, 05:23 PM
I called and told them to cancel my SPOT subscription, spoke to a gal and told her as to why and she renewed mine at the old rate of $99.00 for the year. My buddy did the same .

Badlands

Island Idiots
01-11-2017, 05:39 PM
I have the delorme InReach.

Many different plans from about 20 bucks a month to 75$/ month.
I like it cause I can cancel the service anytime and pay nothing but this requires paying set up fee when I restart, or I can suspend for less than 5 per month.
You can also adjust plan at anytime.
Used it all last fall and it works awesome, texting and tracking.:razz:

TARCHER
01-11-2017, 05:47 PM
I have in reach and have been really happy with it and the different plans and ability to put your account on hold til next time you need it

morphiend
01-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Another InReach customer. Guys I hunt with that have a device all use InReach. Company I work for is moving away from Spot and Sat phones for InReach. Reasonable plans though I could comment on the customer service. I not needed to call them.

Fixit
01-11-2017, 08:19 PM
i would have been happy with 99$, heck even 149, but ill be damned if im paying system maintence fees. (are they really doing tune ups on the satalites?)

jimh
01-11-2017, 10:58 PM
I had both Spot and Globalstar sat phone. The Spot I had for a few years and the sat phone just for the one year but when they raised their prices on both over 50% I called and cancelled both. I have now got an In-reach that is working out much better. My text ( instead of a canned message ) goes out much quicker and I get confirmation when it's been delivered. I was also going to look into an Irridium sat phone but I am usually calling my wife to let her know I have arrived, but she is often at work and can only access her phone on her breaks so the text is there for her to read which has been working out good so far. So now it looks like I will just stick with the In-reach. One thing I did notice was when I used their app to pair it with my Iphone I had to turn on the location services on my phone and by mid-afternoon my phone battery was pretty much dead but when I turn off the location services on the phone and use the In-reach on it's own my phone has still got at least a 75% charge left when I get home in the evening. I'm not too tech savy so I'll just continue to use the In-reach as a stand alone device which works just fine for me. Jim

ufishifish2
01-11-2017, 11:15 PM
I run a forest based consulting company with employees. For a safety check in we tried running a fleet of Gen I Spot units. They sucked but the company rep told me Gen II would be much better.
A little while later Gen II Spots came on the market so I bought those. They sucked a tad less than the paper weight Gen I units. Still fairly useless.
I won't be fooled a third time by getting the Gen III that is already out there. Spot can't get their act together and I am done with them.
We now have had the DeLorme InReach units for 9 months and they work very well. The only exception is that they really don't seem to work for us at all when we are working on steep slopes. We have to wait until we get to flatter ground before the InReach devices will work.
Just my 2c.

todbartell
01-11-2017, 11:40 PM
I use Delorme inReach, I believe Garmin now owns them. Look for a wicked GPS / Messenger unit to come out soon

frase
01-12-2017, 06:48 AM
Have a SPOT for both myself and my son but cancelled this year when they increased the annual costs.

Bonz
01-12-2017, 07:31 AM
seems to be the common everywhere, responce now..spot sucks and most go to the Delorme in reach

Slinky Pickle
01-12-2017, 09:51 AM
After submitting a pretty major concern to their support department twice, I have finally cancelled my Spot subscription today. They had every chance to keep me as a customer but they just couldn't be bothered. In my case, I had paid for the tracking option so my wife could see where I was. I have recorded data from my Spot and Garmin GPS during a local trip and compared them to the data that was available to my wife at home on the Spot web site. The positions that were on the website were off by over 11km. That could easily mean the difference between life and death in an injury situation.

The odd part was that the during the trip, the position being reported to my phone from my Spot Connect via Bluetooth were accurate but the position being reported online was significantly incorrect. I have to believe that if Search and Rescue were to be sent out looking for me, the would be given the online coordinates.

I haven't been able to reproduce the problem but I have solid proof that it happened at least once and I did send them three separate data sets showing the positions as recorded and displayed. All they had to do was tell me what happened but after reporting the same issue twice I received absolutely no indication that they even looked at it.

FortBoy
01-12-2017, 10:39 AM
another happy inreach explore customer here. have had no issues with texts going through, and last time i sent a location to a buddy for a camp location, took him right to the area, within 20 m.

Keta1969
01-12-2017, 10:45 AM
I use Delorme inReach, I believe Garmin now owns them. Look for a wicked GPS / Messenger unit to come out soon

Hope you're right. Have held off buying anything waiting for one device that will do both. Thought it might actually happen when I read Garmin took them over. Still using my compass and smoke signals.

ianwuzhere
01-12-2017, 07:23 PM
I also have a spot. Has worked great for me for many years. I don't use it much at all, more of an accident case scenario or wanting to check remote areas via waypoint at a later date.
When they increased it to 50% more or whatever I was not impressed. Zero notice, zero other options of less amount, all come with tracking option now- (which before was optional and I wouldn't ever use).

OoDark
01-12-2017, 07:35 PM
why have stuff that runs of power when a compass still works without? other then the Emergency situations.

f350ps
01-12-2017, 08:10 PM
I'd give Srupp a call, he's our resident Spot rep! K

Ozone
01-12-2017, 09:29 PM
why have stuff that runs of power when a compass still works without? other then the Emergency situations.
As you type this message onto the internet. Why not paint your message on a cave wall?

Slinky Pickle
01-12-2017, 10:54 PM
I'd give Srupp a call, he's our resident Spot rep! K

Did that and he hooked me up with someone at Spot that should have been able to help. Even he (the Spot contact) let his company down. When I'm alone in the bush I need to know someone can find me. Missing by 11km just doesn't cut it.

TyTy
01-13-2017, 11:56 AM
I cancelled with SPOT last year because of customer service. It is a Joke.

I had cancelled my subscription on one unit (unit busted). They renewed the annual subscription when it came up for renewal for the busted unit, after I had cancelled it. When I called to explain the problem, they would not refund that subscription. The programs/units work fine, but I will not put up with being 'taken' for my $ by a company, where the fault lays with their services.

InReach is where its at. More expensive for better service, and more options.

albravo2
01-13-2017, 12:09 PM
With respect to InReach customer service: a few years ago I had a lot of difficulty with messages not going out even though they showed as delivered, and some problem not receiving all messages.

Their tech team was not very helpful. They kept trying to convince me it was user error. I eventually figured out that InReach Canada is operated by a Canadian company and they don't have great access to tech support at InReach.

I haven't used the unit nearly as much in the past few years so I'm not sure if the problem is still common, but I was not impressed with the quality of their tech support.

sammy-j-peppers
01-13-2017, 12:10 PM
Have had a Spot gen 1 since day 1. Have had no issues with it at all and it works 99% of the time. There have been some deep and steep east west valleys where it has not worked, but those have been rare.

I also was not pleased when I received the $65 increase email from them this fall. One phone call to complain and they offered me an $80cnd credit for this next year. My dad also called and complained and was offered the same discount.

ufishifish2
01-13-2017, 12:30 PM
$80cnd credit is a one time fix and they hope you will forget about the increase going forwards. Band-Aid fix. Works for some I guess.

Pemby_mess
01-13-2017, 01:07 PM
I've used an inreach for the last several years. It's worked pretty much without flaw. I'm happy with the plans they offer, and the flexibility.

My experience with the gen I and II spot devices has been very poor. I've heard that they've vastly upgraded the network but everyone I work and recreate with has already converted to the Delorne so I can't confirm.

hunter1947
01-14-2017, 06:29 AM
I had the same thing happen to me last year in Sept when I had to renew my spot I noticed the same increase I called same feedback we have added the tracking feature etc I said I don't want that feature they said well that's the way it is like it or not I can't do nothing about it so I can close my account or pay the extra fees,,they did give me a 80.00 credit for the 2017 renewal fee which will hep somewhat.

I thought about all and having the increase on my account spot is still the cheapest emergence device to have for under 200.00 a year its might save my life one day if I need to use the SOS feature my life is worth 12.00 a month to have the spot up and working.

PS I have had very little problems sending message the only problem I have had over the 14 yeas using my spot is my batteries were weak and would not send properly that why a person has to renew the spot with top grad batt every year so that the spot will work properly.

hunter1947
01-14-2017, 06:50 AM
I have looked into getting a inreach set up the cost factor is around the 400.00 mark to purchase one the you have to pay 40.00 a month to set up an account multiply 40 times 12 months to much for me.

I really like the reach because you can send as many text message you want wherever as to receive the text messages other good thing about the reach is you can pay for 1 month or 2 etc for to have this device working..

I am in the bush for shed hunting early part of the year from feb right on through till june into the bush scouting putting my trail cams salt blocks out summer months hunting season sept to late nov meaning only two months I won't be needing the reach device in case of an emergency meaning the cost factor is out of my reach sad to say..

Rackmastr
01-14-2017, 09:40 AM
I have looked into getting a inreach set up the cost factor is around the 400.00 mark to purchase one the you have to pay 40.00 a month to set up an account multiply 40 times 12 months to much for me.

To be clear, the cheapest montly plan on an Inreach is $19, not $40. You can also 'suspend' your service whichever months you'd like which is a nice feature that costs $4/month for those two months you wouldnt be using it. Still may be out of your price range, but just pointing it out for others.

hunter1947
01-14-2017, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=Rackmastr;1867627]To be clear, the cheapest montly plan on an Inreach is $19, not $40. You can also 'suspend' your service whichever months you'd like which is a nice feature that costs $4/month for those two months you wouldnt be using it. Still may be out of your price range, but just pointing it out for others.[/QUO

Yes you are correct trev is only 19 a month and I did say in my post you can cancel at any time during the 12 month period still to coasley for me ,,thanks for correcting me..

The total cost for me would be 628.00 total for cost of the reach and to pay 19.00 a month for their service compared to 180.00 a year for the service from my I spot for a year..

hntcrazy
01-14-2017, 01:03 PM
Like in a previous post.....SPOT Suck in every way now . especially customer service. I cancelled 6 units after talking with customer non-service.
My buddy wrote a very detailed letter of his happenings with them also and got no where .
Done with Spot .
Delorme In reach are great units and a good sat phone.
Cell phone coverage is also getting very good these days.
Sorry Srupp

Ron.C
01-14-2017, 01:47 PM
Been watching this thread closely. I have a Gen 1 Spot and have yet to ever have a issue with it. And I've used it extensively since they were new. " Check in" always works and my wife loves the track feature when I transit remote areas while hunting alone. I don't think my Spot bill of bill of $15 a month is too much for the piece of mind it gives me.

All that said, I am really interested in the In-reach ability for two way communication. Be great if I ever had a non emergency problem where I needed help. For those that have used them, what sort of battery life do you get out of one? I understand they have an internal battery. My Spots two AA's easily last an entire two week hunt when its on track mode, all day every day, and sending an ok message twice a day. Will an Inreach internal battery last a two week backpack hunt and if so, with what sort of usage?

srupp
01-14-2017, 02:32 PM
Like in a previous post.....SPOT Suck in every way now . especially customer service. I cancelled 6 units after talking with customer non-service.
My buddy wrote a very detailed letter of his happenings with them also and got no where .

Done with Spot .
Delorme In reach are great units and a good sat phone.
Cell phone coverage is also getting very good these days.
Sorry Srupp

Hmmm no problems..I am watching and learning..phone call coming up to spot..
Hmm these units MUST WORK EACH TIME CUP NOT ONLY IS IT 2017..LIVES DEPEND ON THESE UNITS
NEVER EVER A EXCUSE FOR BAD TECH SERVICE..YOU PAID" FOR IT
YOU DIDNT ORDER TRACK ING. .SHOUT not BE CHARGED for it.period.
Cheers
Steven

Grumpa Joe
01-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Used a Gen II Spot for a number of years. Worked in most instances but not all. I had some times when the check-in did not get sent or were received after I already arrived home from my day hunt. Not reliable enough to be trusted so why pay the annual fee for something that may or may not be there when you need it. Spoke with Steven on the phone in the Fall of 2015 about the issue after a previous thread about the problems arose. Unfortunately the reliability didn't improve. Not an indictment of Steven but rather Spot not addressing customer concerns.

I bought an InReach Explorer in November that I have not had a lot of time to play with but the time I did use it it worked flawlessly. Can Sync it to your phone and use your phone to type the texts (much better keyboard size) to send with the InReach. Got the unit on sale for $399 (the Se was on for $299 at the same time) and received a $75 credit towards my service account.

Slinky Pickle
01-14-2017, 03:27 PM
The concern I had with my experience was the disparity between the position that the device reported to my phone and what showed on the tracking site. The Spot device in my truck reported the correct positions to my phone so the GPS was obviously locked on the satellites and accurately reading it's location. However, the positions reported on the website was quite different and grossly inaccurate. So, somewhere on the Spot server end, the data points got screwed up and anyone relying on that info would be looking in the wrong spot. That is very scary stuff!

hntcrazy
01-14-2017, 07:39 PM
Depending on how much time you leave it on . I take a standby power bar to bump up the charge every once and a while.
2-3 TEXTS a day last 7-10 but leaving on drains battery a little.
Hope this helps , kind of wish you had both options batteries and self contained rechargeable ...........
I bought 2 power bars from groupon 24.00 bucks done deal .