View Full Version : Recommendations for new hunting pants?

russm86
01-11-2017, 01:21 PM
Well my last pair of hunting pants, good old milsurp camo, have finally been used and abused to the point it no longer makes sense to repair them so am looking to get some new pants for hunting. Mostly fall but some spring too, already have good winter pants so don't need anything heavy like that. I've seen some nice stuff but some gets really pricey, like up to $500. I don't think I'd spend that much but maybe up to around the $300 mark if its really worth it and will last. I have nice merino wool (icebreaker) base layer I wear when it's cooler as well as gaiters when it's wet. So, is it worth spending the extra and getting hunting specific pants or just stick with the cheap old surplus stuff? What does everyone recommend and why?

russm86
01-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Looking online, perhaps the First Lite Corrugate Guide Pant, Sitka Equinox, or Sitka Timberline would be appropriate pants? I think the Corrugate and Equinox are lighter, early to mid season and the Timberlines are a little heavier than that? How do they all hold up to brush etc? Worth the money?

ElectricDyck
01-11-2017, 02:27 PM
Costco just got in BC Clothing brand pants. There are two types one lined with cotton and one without. The ones without are 20 bucks and after a couple hikes with them I really like them. They are al light weight full poly so breathe well, seem pretty quiet and are slightly stretchy, time will tell if they hold up around the fire and through bush..

I also have a pair of cabelas microtex lite pants which are pretty beat but I've been wearing them for 8 years and still love them!

pin_head
01-11-2017, 04:56 PM
I've been really happy with my Sitka pants, both Ascent and Mountain. Although they'd be too warm on scouting hikes, I'd pick the mountain pants if I had to choose.

Brad

khoffnbud
01-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Very happy with my KUIU attack pants. Give em a go you won't be disappointed.

TARCHER
01-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Except the cost, Filson whipcord wool pant will last you a lifetime

Weatherby Fan
01-11-2017, 05:33 PM
Very happy with my KUIU attack pants. Give em a go you won't be disappointed.

Just curious if you compared the Attack pant to any of the Sitka stuff ? I bought an used set of Timberline Pants but seem a touch heavy for an Aug 1st-15th sheep hunt ? Your thoughts ?

ajr5406
01-11-2017, 05:42 PM
If your looking for a cheaper option that's not camo, try the Eddie Bauer Guide pro pants. I got a pair on sale last season and they are super comfortable and stretchy. I wore some merino long underwear under them and they served me well, even in colder temps.

khoffnbud
01-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Just curious if you compared the Attack pant to any of the Sitka stuff ? I bought an used set of Timberline Pants but seem a touch heavy for an Aug 1st-15th sheep hunt ? Your thoughts ?

The only Sitka pant that I've owned that I can compare to is the 90% pant. I found the attacks to be lighter than the 90s and sure helped with the early season stuff. Sorry don, maybe someone else can chime in on this, I don't want to lead astray.

Sitkaspruce
01-11-2017, 07:20 PM
If your looking for a cheaper option that's not camo, try the Eddie Bauer Guide pro pants. I got a pair on sale last season and they are super comfortable and stretchy. I wore some merino long underwear under them and they served me well, even in colder temps.

These or Prana Zion or Renegade Kuhl Renegades are all good quality early season pants.

I would also look at these from Icebreaker

http://ca.icebreaker.com/en/midlayers/ika-pants/102683.html?dwvar_102683_color=301

I have the previous model and they are great early to mid season pants.

Cheers

SS

Wentrot
01-11-2017, 07:42 PM
From sitka I use the mountain and ascent pants. Prefer the mountains. I give the win to the first lite guide pants though, love em.

Iltasyuko
01-11-2017, 08:48 PM
I seem to always be drawn to the priciest gear no matter what I'm shopping for - but I gotta say the Eddie Bauer Guide Pro is a really great product at a lower price. I'm buying a second pair I like them so.much. Icebreaker merino under them when it's colder and they work great. Good stretch, deep side pockets with quality zips.

Squamch
01-11-2017, 09:17 PM
I've got a pair of underarmour hiking pants, that have held up great for two years now, and a pair of badlands exo pants that have treated me well for three years now. Both under $200.

Ubertuber
01-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Stay with wool pants, that's my advice.
Wool pants with suspenders can't beat. Warm when wet, they breath nice, and dry fast.

Pinewood
01-12-2017, 01:19 AM
My Attack pants are the best pants I've ever owned.

SR80
01-12-2017, 07:10 AM
Eddie baurer pants are pretty good, good for early season. I like timberlines for when its getting cooler out. Ascents are a nice early season pant too, but for the price, eddie baurer pants are your best bet. If you can handle not having camo pants that is.

BgBlkDg
01-12-2017, 07:28 AM
I would not spend the $$$$$ on Sitka, FL, Kuiu or any of the "kewl" specialty hunting pants and chuckle at the idea that such gear is "necessary" for BC hunting. I do use older Cabela's Microtex, very good for most hunting and inexpensive, while drying instantly by body heat, IME.

"Filson Whipcords", fabulous quality, have two pairs and the ONLY issue is that they allow winds through, which can chill you severely. However, I love them, they are almost impossible to wear out and resist wet very well. The ONLY real issue is that Filson, dkiscontinued them and now they cannot be had. LL Bean offers, or did, some similar ones, but, I have no idea of their current quality.

Each to his own, but, there are lots of inexpensive options for good hunting pants and you DO NOT NEED the latest "kewl" camo, designed to "catch" hunters.

Squamch
01-12-2017, 08:00 AM
I would not spend the $$$$$ on Sitka, FL, Kuiu or any of the "kewl" specialty hunting pants and chuckle at the idea that such gear is "necessary" for BC hunting. I do use older Cabela's Microtex, very good for most hunting and inexpensive, while drying instantly by body heat, IME.

"Filson Whipcords", fabulous quality, have two pairs and the ONLY issue is that they allow winds through, which can chill you severely. However, I love them, they are almost impossible to wear out and resist wet very well. The ONLY real issue is that Filson, dkiscontinued them and now they cannot be had. LL Bean offers, or did, some similar ones, but, I have no idea of their current quality.

Each to his own, but, there are lots of inexpensive options for good hunting pants and you DO NOT NEED the latest "kewl" camo, designed to "catch" hunters.

I would agree with this, but...lightweight, waterproof shell, insulated, quick drying pants are real. And in my opinion, that gives them an edge over heavy, not waterproof wool. Maybe that's not such a big deal up in Kamloops, but on the island, the edge goes to waterproof even if it costs more.

BgBlkDg
01-12-2017, 08:15 AM
I don't use or even suggest heavy woolen pants as they NEVER dry in the bush. But, IF you know how to H20 proof light whipcords, they are superior to any of the overly-hyped, very costly "kewl" pants anywhere in BC. I base this on actual use of all of these for decades all over the province and have used various WPB pants/bibs since 1978.

I don't care what anyone chooses, but, I see people posting here who "cannot afford" fine optics, use crap guns and yet spend $$$$$$ on "kewl" clothing, which is, IMO, not the most practical approach to your hunting gear.

BTW, in decades of forestry work and hunting on and all up and down the coast to Stewart, I have come to prefer HH bibs to any WPB pants in rain and wet bush. Cheaper, tougher and as dry. I do use eVent pants in snow and for hiking. JMHO.

Squamch
01-12-2017, 09:50 AM
I didn't know that whip cords are different than heavy wool pants, I figured wool was wool. My mistake, and now I know.

You have mentioned once or twice basing your opinion on your decades of experience working in forestry and hunting all over BC. What brands of hunting specific clothing have you used, and what don't you like about them, to give you your experienced opinion on their inferiority?

ajr5406
01-12-2017, 10:31 AM

Thats what I love about the Eddie Bauer Guide pants - $60 on sale, neutral colours, stretchy and super comfortable. I wear them all the time, even when im not hunting, cool enough for early season use, and over some merino long underwear they are warm enough too. Hard to beat in my opinion!

Ill probably get a pair of warm fleece pants for cold cold weather, but the Eddie Bauers are awesome.

todbartell
01-12-2017, 10:43 AM
I usually rock a pair of Sitka Ascent pants for my fall hunts. Awesome. Also wear the Mountain Pant and 90% Sitka. In 2017 they've redesigned the Ascent pant, it's incredibly light weight. Great for hunts where the temps are in the 20's such as an afternoon early season elk hunt

Just picked up the First Lite Knab 2.0 merino pant and the Corrugate Guide pant, they're both very impressive. Great fit and mobility, water resistant, breathable

AgSilver
01-12-2017, 12:41 PM
I have some of the pants listed, like the Pranas and BC Clothing and the Kuiu Attacks (only in solids, though...save my "kewl" camo for the colder stuff because I don't like "kewl" weather). The biggest difference is the noise. The Kuius are quiet. The Pranas aren't crazy loud, but aren't quiet...but I do love my Zions...wear them tons through the summer months when pants are called for.

BC Clothing from Costco...have lots of them and like them (wearing a pair at work right now, actually) but they'll never be classified as "quiet".

Nice thing with the Kuiu Attacks is the versatility...has a long zip down the side of the leg with mesh inside to air out in warmer situations. But still pretty comfy when it's chilly out (was sledding in mine in -10 this past weekend with just some merino LJs underneath). I wear mine a lot and wish they made some that don't have side pockets so that I could wear them more (colder weather golf at courses that don't allow side pockets, for example) and at work.

Gonna check out the Eddies...they look pretty good and versatile as well.

Rookie Hunter
01-12-2017, 12:47 PM
I use Sitka Timberline and/or Fjallraven Vidda Pro depending on the situation. Mostly the Timberline's for hunting. It's too bad they are so expensive these days...when i bought mine in 2014 they were approx. $220. Now they are pushing $300.

Pinewood
01-12-2017, 08:50 PM
I didn't know that whip cords are different than heavy wool pants, I figured wool was wool. My mistake, and now I know.

You have mentioned once or twice basing your opinion on your decades of experience working in forestry and hunting all over BC. What brands of hunting specific clothing have you used, and what don't you like about them, to give you your experienced opinion on their inferiority?

I really hope this gets answered. I always enjoy bbdog's valuable opinion.

Mark-R
08-21-2018, 02:28 PM
I seem to always be drawn to the priciest gear no matter what I'm shopping for - but I gotta say the Eddie Bauer Guide Pro is a really great product at a lower price. I'm buying a second pair I like them so.much. Icebreaker merino under them when it's colder and they work great. Good stretch, deep side pockets with quality zips.

Just picked up a pair of the Guide Pros on sale. Eddie Bauer has good stuff (shirts, soft shell) with earthy color selections as opposed to flashy outdoor colors.

Jordan f.
08-21-2018, 06:26 PM
My hunting pants right now are just regular DWR coated/ quick drying hiking pants. They do the trick.

But most of my gear is First Lite. And my next pair of pants most likely will be too. The price points don't seem to be all that different from the hiking brands. Especially during a sale. But First Lite actively supports and protects hunting. So I much prefer to give them my money.

the_longwalker
08-22-2018, 05:14 AM
I bought Outdoor Research Ferrosi pants (yes they make pants too) from MEC for I think $80ish bucks. They are earth tone coloured, stretchy and dry really quick. I wear a merino base layer under them and it works pretty good. You could buy 3 or 4 pairs for the price of one pair of fanboy pants.

Elkaholic
08-22-2018, 07:22 AM
I bought Outdoor Research Ferrosi pants (yes they make pants too) from MEC for I think $80ish bucks. They are earth tone coloured, stretchy and dry really quick. I wear a merino base layer under them and it works pretty good. You could buy 3 or 4 pairs for the price of one pair of fanboy pants.

I should let people know if you have your guide license or assistant guide license you can sign up for sitka's outfitter discount and get their items at a STEEP discount. Well worth looking into if you have the guide ID.