PDA

View Full Version : Best area for 3-week salt water fishing adventure?

MichelD
01-11-2017, 11:42 AM
If time and money were no object, where would you go on the BC coast for a three-week salmon, bottom fish, prawn and crab fishing holiday?

This will be self-contained self-guided trip on a large boat with a smaller fishing vessel, probably a whaler for angling.

tinhorse
01-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Q.C Islands. everything you want to catch can be done there. Top notch accommodations and great fishing.

boblly1
01-11-2017, 01:14 PM
i charter with David Murphy he is out of Ucluelet and has a lodge on the west coast i have never been disapointed with them for salmon,halibut,Lingcod or any of the other bottom fish or crab if you inquire about them.In my opinion and i have chartered with others David and his guy's out do them hands down

Gumsehwah
01-11-2017, 04:31 PM
You can't go wrong with the North Coast.

weed782
01-12-2017, 09:36 AM
"Self contained on a large boat with smaller fishing vessel"........ Milbank Sound. Great anchorages, Uncrowded, awesome fishing!!

Salty
01-13-2017, 09:15 AM
I'd go to the Broughtons and Knights Inlet. Not a far run to round Cape Caution and head a lil north either.

albravo2
01-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Where is the big boat normally moored? No sense cruising past a bunch of awesome fishing on your way to QC if the boat is moored down here.

MichelD
01-13-2017, 01:17 PM
Where is the big boat normally moored? No sense cruising past a bunch of awesome fishing on your way to QC if the boat is moored down here.

Boat is down south but they like the north/central coast in general.

MichelD
01-13-2017, 01:19 PM
I'd go to the Broughtons and Knights Inlet. Not a far run to round Cape Caution and head a lil north either.

Thanks Salty, I know that area a bit. Seined salmon on a Sointula boat in the area and also commercial-fished crab and prawn there too. Before the salmon farms anchored on the good spots though.

Salty
01-13-2017, 03:21 PM
Ya the salmon farms messed up some cool spots all right Michel. There's still tons of good all weather anchorages in the Broughtons though. There's also quite a few logging landings closer to the mainland not used at a given time as you probably know. Its all water access logging there's no roads in the area just short haul roads that lead to the log dumps most of them have a decent dock. There's also an old govt dock south of Knights.. Minstral Island? iirc

MB_Boy
01-13-2017, 03:41 PM
Boat is down south but they like the north/central coast in general.

I think they have the right idea...beautiful anchorages and lots of places to fish; protected areas abound too.

I'd just keep on moving around. How big is the main vessel?

Alfonz
01-16-2017, 10:36 AM
Like the OP "said time and money are no object" I would definitely head for the west side of the Charlottes.

dakoda62
01-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Charlottes if money is no concern but 3 weeks will put you over possession limits unless you are a piss poor fisherman. lol

MichelD
01-16-2017, 11:11 AM
I think they have the right idea...beautiful anchorages and lots of places to fish; protected areas abound too.

I'd just keep on moving around. How big is the main vessel?

It is over 60 feet.

BigfishCanada
01-16-2017, 11:54 AM
Port Hardy is all my Saltwater nuts tell me!!

MichelD
01-16-2017, 02:55 PM
Port Hardy is all my Saltwater nuts tell me!!

I grew up in Port Hardy and lived there 1953-1977. Did my first fishing there with my dad and by 10 I was rowing around trolling with some kind of spoon or the other in the bay and later out to Duval Point and the Masterman island some days.

The place is too crowded now in the summer with folks from Nevada and Utah and Arizona filling up the campgrounds and launch ramps keeping their wives busy in the campers with canners going. I think the folks we'll be with want to anchor out in more isolated locations farther north and avoid the gong show.