PDA

View Full Version : 'The truth behind the BC Trophy Grizzly Bear hunt' Thoughts

LachlanStevs
01-10-2017, 06:14 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before, I have read some of the more recent threads about the sustainability of the Grizzly Bear hunt in BC but after seeing this video I am wondering what HBC thinks...

I found some of the claims to be total BS, such as people 'only killing for a hug and head'. I know this forum will be bias but this individual (a wildlife photographer) is throwing out some very unsual numbers and claims in the video,
What do you guys think?

(link for anyone who hasn't seen it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyKaCDHXigk

Thanks

BgBlkDg
01-10-2017, 06:30 PM
I see the latest commenter posts that it is OK for trophy hunters to hunt as long as they also can be "hunted"......this rhetoric is commonplace among the radical "antis" and yet it seems that NO action is taken about it by the RCMP or the media........hhmmmmm.

MB_Boy
01-10-2017, 06:54 PM
So many flaws in his arguments from taxpayers "subsidizing a hunt that they oppose" to looking at ONE study in ONE area of BC being the Great Bear Rainforest. How many grizz tags are issued in that area? No sh*t the revenue and benefits from eco-tourism/bear viewing in THAT area is going to be higher as there is not a ton of tags issued. :roll::roll::roll:

Is he talking the entire Great Bear Rainforest area....or specific areas?

He is criticizing the province as a whole, perhaps present viewing versus hunting revenue for grizz in the province as a whole? One can excerpt from a unique area, not present all the facts and jump in front of a camera a spew off. :???:

BgBlkDg
01-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Sadly, that is consistently the "modus operandi" of the "greens" and since we are largely an urban nation, even in small northern towns for the past few decades, most folks accept and believe these liars.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-10-2017, 08:17 PM
I see the latest commenter posts that it is OK for trophy hunters to hunt as long as they also can be "hunted"......this rhetoric is commonplace among the radical "antis" and yet it seems that NO action is taken about it by the RCMP or the media........hhmmmmm.These dummies talk mad shit. Anti's are the worst! They can't back there play though, a pack of pansies. As such, no one takes their posts seriously. Sure would come in handy to be able to link such a post to one that tried! LOL

Rob Chipman
01-10-2017, 09:25 PM
I think he's showing us what we should be doing.

Bonz
01-11-2017, 06:47 AM
had it out with that antihunter guy quite a few times. hes fraud, call him on facts and he refuses to answer. cause he ha no answer or facts to back anything, anyone that buys his info is an antihunter also obviously

Bonz
01-11-2017, 06:48 AM
hes also claimed to work with bio guys an dnr..i emailed...no he doesnt, staight up lier

Bonz
01-11-2017, 06:53 AM
lol, guys on every protest page out there on every animal possible and corral reefs. just another one making a living off protesting and selling lies

Bonz
01-11-2017, 07:00 AM
lol, here his researcher he has from one of the top univercities...lol, names re on top of the paper he showed

Kyle artell ...aka...raincoast protester

http://kyleartelle.ca/

ajr5406
01-11-2017, 07:40 AM
There is an interesting discussion on the Rookie Hunter Podcast with Jesse Zeman about this - worth a listen

kennyj
01-11-2017, 07:58 AM
Make it mandatory to pack out the meat then it is no longer a ''trophy hunt''.
kenny

Bonz
01-11-2017, 08:01 AM
no such thing as trophy hunt anyways. my spike blacktail are a trophy to me. i dont run my life based on what the uneducated anti call a trophy

Bonz
01-11-2017, 08:02 AM
everyone keeps forgetting its the gov polices that stop some from taking their meat home to other countries also. that never gets mentioned

Rob Chipman
01-11-2017, 11:02 AM
This photographer has a series of videos on his own YouTube channel dealing with a variety of wildlife subjects. He has two on the Grizzly hunt and he's gotten over 7,000 views on them. He also has one on the war on wolves with over 5000 views.

That's not bad for one guy.

We can try to make an argument that everyone keeps forgetting this, or doesn't realize that, or if full of shit in general, but the hunting and conservation community has to either start getting information out to the general public so that we can change the tone of the conversation -or- we just sit back and let the people who want to shut us down do exactly what they want to do. The world belongs to those who show up.

I don't know how to make videos or get them on Youtube, but I'm making an effort to accomplish it this year. I need help. We've got lots of content available. Anyone with expertise who wants to help. please email or message me.

jassmine
01-11-2017, 02:56 PM
lol, here his researcher he has from one of the top univercities...lol, names re on top of the paper he showed

Kyle artell ...aka...raincoast protester

http://kyleartelle.ca/

Kyle is actually a pretty darn good researcher. I've met him many times and have lab mates that know him personally and have been both hunting and fishing with him. Beyond that I can't say much about people from Raincoast but the three that I know are active hunters and fisher folk.
He also won the Canadian Society of Ecology and Evolution's Diversity and excellence in graduate research award (I know because my labmate was hoping to win)

His paper on uncertainty in grizzly bear management was one of the best papers of the year in 2013 (featured in Nature and other science magazines):
Artelle, K. A., Anderson, S. C., Cooper, A. B., Paquet, P. C., Reynolds, J. D., & Darimont, C. T. (2013). Confronting uncertainty in wildlife management: performance of grizzly bear management. PloS one, 8(11), e78041.

With two of his papers come up quite frequently in Mark Boyce's Scientific Review of Grizzly Bear Harvest Management System in British Columbia.

Bonz
01-11-2017, 02:58 PM
i used to make money off youtube, if ya ever need help or info just ask. used to pay my rent with it. thx google..lol
just got another cheque couple months ago. the hunting subject is slow, and i havent put big effort into that one anwyays
thinbk my biggest pay out was about 600 for a month.

Bonz
01-11-2017, 02:58 PM
Kyle is actually a pretty darn good researcher. I've met him many times and have lab mates that know him personally and have been both hunting and fishing with him. Beyond that I can't say much about people from Raincoast but the three that I know are active hunters and fisher folk.
He also won the Canadian Society of Ecology and Evolution's Diversity and excellence in graduate research award (I know because my labmate was hoping to win)

His paper on uncertainty in grizzly bear management was one of the best papers of the year in 2013 (featured in Nature and other science magazines):
Artelle, K. A., Anderson, S. C., Cooper, A. B., Paquet, P. C., Reynolds, J. D., & Darimont, C. T. (2013). Confronting uncertainty in wildlife management: performance of grizzly bear management. PloS one, 8(11), e78041.

With two of his papers come up quite frequently in Mark Boyce's Scientific Review of Grizzly Bear Harvest Management System in British Columbia.

lol, id expect you to like him. both antihunters. kinda obvious isn it? hes full of it an a lier

Bonz
01-11-2017, 03:11 PM
once again i see he deletes comments..typical of the protester, antinhunters

mod7rem
01-12-2017, 01:12 AM
The biggest problem is there are always going to be people with the drive and desire to hunt, and those people that dont understand it. The two sides are never going to agree and there are many different forms of hunters. Some love to hunt predators and others love to hunt one or two specific ungulate species or mabye just birds. One of the things that really frustrates me is the talk about "trophy hunting". Even among hunters, the term "trophy hunter" is often spit out like a dirty word. We all need to accept the fact that here in BC we are all trophy hunters. Nobody hunts in BC because they are hungry and need it to survive. We can justify it any way we want but its all bullshit. We hunt because we love to do it for many different reasons. Personally I spend way more money hunting than I ever would just buying meat.
People like John Marriott will never understand that, thats why he's looking at economic factors and conservation science etc, etc, to support his belief that hunting isnt necessary in a modern society. If grizzly hunting for some people is a "blood lust" as John calls it,,,,, then who cares? Hunting is different for everybody and its not right or wrong. We manage the renewable resource and use it.

I think as hunters we need to start being more honest with ourselves and stop trying to justify why we hunt with bullshit reasons like "necessary for conservation" or the "need to feed our families". Hunting is a passion, a sport, a hobby, a way of life, what ever it is its different for everybody and as long as the animals we hunt are a renewable resource then I think that's all the justification we need.

I know its just a word, but I can't stand it when "harvest" is used to describe the killing of an animal. Who are we trying to kid by using that word? I can tell you that a hunter isnt offended when we say kill. Do we think that anti hunters are stupid enough to believe "harvest" means something different than "kill"? I didn't do any harvesting this year but I did kill a few animals.

I guess this is coming off as a bit of a rant, but to be honest, guys like John Marriott don't really upset me. He's doing a very natural, human thing, by trying to convince people that what he thinks is right. No different than what we as hunters do. Hopefully our collective votes and voices outnumber people like his.

Bonz
01-12-2017, 06:36 AM
i still would never call anything trophy hunting. my outdoor enjoyment and taking and processing my own meat isnt what i concider trophy anything. they use it strictly to sell pitty or sympathy and make us look bad. like we have no care or meant what so ever. if the term wasnt sold so often to shut hunting down, it wouldnt bother me so much,
can say the same for some and their so called sustanant hunts an live next to a save on foods.

ajr5406
01-12-2017, 08:07 AM
i still would never call anything trophy hunting. my outdoor enjoyment and taking and processing my own meat isnt what i concider trophy anything. they use it strictly to sell pitty or sympathy and make us look bad. like we have no care or meant what so ever. if the term wasnt sold so often to shut hunting down, it wouldnt bother me so much,
can say the same for some and their so called sustanant hunts an live next to a save on foods.

Unfortunately it doesnt matter what YOU call it, society has an idea of what "Trophy Hunting" is, and its quite frankly an incorrect definition.

While we see harvesting an animal, eating and sharing the meat, and then displaying the antlers as a testament to a great experience and respect for the animal, the public sees it as some guy who kills an animal, lops off the head and leaves the rest to rot, with no respect for conservation, the animals, or society. How many times have you heard "I dont have a problem with hunters who hunt for meat, but I REALLY have a problem with all these "Trophy Hunters"!"

We have to face the facts that we are talking about two different definitions of the term, and we have to educate society on what hunting IS and what it IS NOT.

Bonz
01-12-2017, 08:11 AM
i know it dont matter what i call it. and we seem to sit back and let the other sell that term an makes us look bad
sitting back being ok with everything called a trophy hunt isnt helping anything, was kinda my point above. even hunters use the word now

MB_Boy
01-12-2017, 09:07 AM

Interesting he's so revered amongst you young anti's. His papers may have received accolades....but all I have to see is Paquet in there and know there will be a twist.

Whatever accolades his papers may have achieved, his videos put a twist to tug at heart strings. One only has to look that he critiques the "trophy hunt" and cites the Great Bear Rainforest as his measure. An area that IS big as far as grizzly viewing and also for the most part has few tags issued out in those coastal areas. Not sure how many are issued through all MU's within this area but of course eco-tourism/grizz watching is going to generate more revenue. HE is talking about the PROVINCIAL hunt....I'd like to see the numbers that Grizz hunting generates province wide as opposed to grizz viewing. :wink::roll:

Bonz
01-12-2017, 09:17 AM
im curious whats gonna happen with the guide in there doing to pic tours under hunting guide licences, dont they shut you down after you dont produce any game, and actualy admit the game/...to me thats fraud. illegal in a way, is it not?
then theirs the guide claiming he sold his land to them cause he cares about the bear now..and then i find the court papers of the 70 poaching charges and the media news of the gov actulay taking it from him, or forcing him to sell. no local media touched hat,m only seem to find that sort of info on the globe and mail media outlet

Bonz
01-12-2017, 09:18 AM
and he has no clue what hunting generates. all they have info on is licences and tag costs. nobody knows what we personaly spend to go on a hunt.
nor cam i say what they spend on cam gear or other. but, once again, we sit quiet and the general public see their info daily shoved on media or elsewhere.

jassmine
01-12-2017, 10:50 AM
Interesting he's so revered amongst you young anti's. His papers may have received accolades....but all I have to see is Paquet in there and know there will be a twist.

Please show me where I said anyone revered him.
Saying that someone is a good scientist does not equate to that. I've been to numerous conferences where he presented papers and have found them to be novel and well done.

But feel free to show me where I ever said anything anti-hunting. Similarly, please show me the 'twist' in the paper that you believe is bad science.

Bonz
01-12-2017, 10:55 AM
how bout the privatly ran stats he sells, and all other anti sell, done by priveate paid members of insight west. that isnt bc residence view, thats one twist to start, seem to keep deleting that and more to hide real truths, all stats are bogus. ive one them, and had zero clue what i was doing.. and get paid to do them to

MB_Boy
01-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Saying that someone is a good scientist does not equate to that. I've been to numerous conferences where he presented papers and have found them to be novel and well done.

But feel free to show me where I ever said anything anti-hunting. Similarly, please show me the 'twist' in the paper that you believe is bad science.

Ahhh.....it's cute, kids cut out of the same mould.

I said NOTHING about his paper....I said the "twist", and "spin" for that matter was in his tugging at the heart strings through his video. His papers....I don't care to read as they base ALL of BC likely on the GBR. (I see names in there and will reserve comment.) His video shows nothing more than that, he is pulling numbers/stats out of an area that has a relatively low number of tags and comparing it to eco-grizz-tourism-viewing.

Is it convenient that he didn't pull his stats on "grizzly viewing" to hunting in all other areas of the province as a whole....YOU BET! He, other 'scientists/researchers', activists, celebs and 'keepers of the land' (FN) are sensationalizing and protesting the grizzly bear hunt in BC by throwing the "GBR", Kermode and anything else they can find to tug at the heart strings of cidiots. I hate the term as I live in Vancouver, earn a good living here and it keeps me here....but I am surrounded by cidiots.

You Millennial's are a cute crew...adorable in a way. I say this as a 44 yr old son of a wildlife biologist who started going hunting at 5, spent all my summers in the bush with my Dad putting radio collars on moose, caribou and bears and carried a firearm to shoot my first deer at the age of 12 when was legally allowed. (Do I sound like BBD issuing my credentials...hahaha.....:grin::grin::grin:)

You cite papers all the time, can you form an informed opinion based on experience?

BgBlkDg
01-13-2017, 01:10 AM
^^^^^ While some of your critique is valid, it is lessened in both effectiveness and credibility by your frequent and rather infantile ranting about the age and "cidiot" status of others whom you do not know. As it happens, I know many highly experienced professionals in environmental biology as well as wilderness workers who live in Vancouver.

I can think of Dr. Vladimir Krajina, Dr, Ian McT.-Cowan, and several other world renowned scientists and a number of wilderness workers who live(d) here. I find your rants rather amusing, but, of very little scientific substance,

The fact that your dad was a wildlife bio. really means squat and his making it possible for you to start hunting at age 12 is also irrelevant. My late Pop was a plumbing contractor from about 1925 to 1974 and I worked with him as a youth, but, I am NOT a plumber and do not pretend that I am.

In short, what have YOU done in wilderness work/living, BC bush experience or studies in biology as individual accomplishments are what count as a basis for personal opinion. IMHO.

With that, I also find Paquet a rather "hinky" character.

MB_Boy
01-13-2017, 07:16 AM
^^^^^ While some of your critique is valid, it is lessened in both effectiveness and credibility by your frequent and rather infantile ranting about the age and "cidiot" status of others whom you do not know. As it happens, I know many highly experienced professionals in environmental biology as well as wilderness workers who live in Vancouver.

I can think of Dr. Vladimir Krajina, Dr, Ian McT.-Cowan, and several other world renowned scientists and a number of wilderness workers who live(d) here. I find your rants rather amusing, but, of very little scientific substance,

The fact that your dad was a wildlife bio. really means squat and his making it possible for you to start hunting at age 12 is also irrelevant. My late Pop was a plumbing contractor from about 1925 to 1974 and I worked with him as a youth, but, I am NOT a plumber and do not pretend that I am.

In short, what have YOU done in wilderness work/living, BC bush experience or studies in biology as individual accomplishments are what count as a basis for personal opinion. IMHO.

With that, I also find Paquet a rather "hinky" character.

Oh sweet irony. From a guy who professes his qualifications in pretty much every post....I chuckle.

I studied business in University and in those days in the early 90's I had more biology/parasitology/wildlife knowledge than friends in the actual programs because I had spent time in the field with my Dad from the age of 5. Hunting, putting collars on animals, flying aerial surveys, doing autopsies, running hunter check stations....I'll do up a resume and put it in my sig line. You type yours all the time....mine will be easily visible.

We can only strive to meet your high, Protestant standards.

As to Jasmine....your defence of this guys spin is pretty thin. If you fail to see his spin/lean to tug at heart strings then you need a course in thinking. Make a blanket statement about something and extrapolate stats from a small portion that is not representative of the big picture....you are kind of leaving science behind and becoming a lobbyist looking for attention. (Lobbyist may not be the best term, but I caution using environmentalist)

Piperdown
01-13-2017, 08:12 AM
Wow this thread seems to be going in the shitter, hope Spy doesn't stop by or it is doomed. Stay on topic folks. Would like to read more on the outfitter and previous charges. Oh and Funhog, i still like you even if you cheer for the Flyers :) Oh and as for Jassmine the ignore button is a beautiful thing until one of you copy her posts :(

BgBlkDg
01-13-2017, 08:17 AM
You are over-reacting to my point, which was not intended as a personal slight, but, as simply a caution so that your critique would be more useful. However, sonny, do as you please as I have no intention of wasting time in an internet *bashing* fest with you.

I am hardly a fan or supporter of Jassmine, as dozens of my posts here will show; I simply thought that there are better ways of challenging the comments she posts here.

As to *Protestant*, sorry, laddy, I was raised a Roman Catholic and have been a *Norse eco-pagan* for some 50 years. So, you are mistaken.

I do refer to MY actual experience,but, NOT to that of others and that is what I consider appropriate. If, you think that your knowledge-experience is greater than that of others here, well, perhaps try to post with the usage and empirical accuracy one expects of a graduate and thus allow us to share in your expertise.

You assisted me with getting a useful text on *Alces* and I appreciate that, but, your more recent posts do not equal your former level of useful, courteous commentary.

Enough, we both know who the enemy is here and in society in general.

Bonz
01-13-2017, 08:24 AM
dam, almost hired you guys, thought it turned into a job interview...lol

BgBlkDg
01-13-2017, 08:31 AM
dam, almost hired you guys, thought it turned into a job interview...lol

Good one!!! :)

MB_Boy
01-13-2017, 09:00 AM
You are over-reacting to my point, which was not intended as a personal slight, but, as simply a caution so that your critique would be more useful. However, sonny, do as you please as I have no intention of wasting time in an internet *bashing* fest with you.

I am hardly a fan or supporter of Jassmine, as dozens of my posts here will show; I simply thought that there are better ways of challenging the comments she posts here.

As to *Protestant*, sorry, laddy, I was raised a Roman Catholic and have been a *Norse eco-pagan* for some 50 years. So, you are mistaken.

I do refer to MY actual experience,but, NOT to that of others and that is what I consider appropriate. If, you think that your knowledge-experience is greater than that of others here, well, perhaps try to post with the usage and empirical accuracy one expects of a graduate and thus allow us to share in your expertise.

You assisted me with getting a useful text on *Alces* and I appreciate that, but, your more recent posts do not equal your former level of useful, courteous commentary.

Piper...the Flyers played last night. "Don't hate.....congratu-late".

Enough, we both know who the enemy is here and in society in general.

I am done with this but don't think my "knowledge-experience" is greater than anyone, but I question those buried behind a textbook copying and pasting bibliographies.

Jassmine, the guy in the video who you seem to be defending/validating has used snippets to sensationalize the "Trophy Grizzly Bear Hunt" to tug at heart strings. If he wants to cite stats from the GBR, then go after the grizz hunt in the GBR....if he's going after the province then provide province wide stats.

BgBlkDg
01-13-2017, 09:04 AM
Agreed, this is WHY I ask Jassmine questions about, for example, the wolf cull in the South Selkirks. She *knows* so much about it, while I was merely born there, know the area very well and worked for F&W there.

We should fight the common enemy togather as she and certain others do NOT fool me, either.

Bonz
01-13-2017, 09:12 AM
they all do that, take bits and piece and add their dramatic words to it for more donations for their wages

jassmine
01-13-2017, 10:49 AM
Jassmine, the guy in the video who you seem to be defending/validating has used snippets to sensationalize the "Trophy Grizzly Bear Hunt" to tug at heart strings. .

Never once did I defend anyone in any video, please show me where I defend a single video or for that matter my other request for you to show me where I said I revered one of the researchers on a paper. that was cited.

So please don't misconstrue what I said and make it seem as though I was defending some guys video.

I said NOTHING about his paper....I said the "twist", and "spin" for that matter was in his tugging at the heart strings through his video.

Well you clearly did say something very specific about the paper, here is your quote from post #29. You say that since Paquet is in a paper there must clearly by a twist in the science, to which I ask you to please demonstrate or outline the twist in that particular paper, despite the fact that I was never speaking about Paquet in the first place.

I'm not quite sure where this K. Artelle video is that you're referencing. My only comments on this post so far had to do with my experience with this researcher here at SFU and at conferences such as the Canadian Society of Ecology and Evolution.

jassmine
01-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Agreed, this is WHY I ask Jassmine questions about, for example, the wolf cull in the South Selkirks. She *knows* so much about it, while I was merely born there, know the area very well and worked for F&W there.

Feel free to show me in the wolf cull thread where I said " I know so much about it" in terms of the wolf cull in South Selkirks.
In the posts I made I was highlighting the fact that wolf culls are typically simple band aids and not solutions in and of themselves.
Never did I reference my own personal experience or knowledge but used primary scientific literature that was looking at attributing ungulate declines to factors outside of predation.

BigfishCanada
01-13-2017, 02:00 PM
Science based Legal managed hunting of all animals is the best way to protect a species for generation after generation.....PERIOD!!!!

Bonz
01-13-2017, 02:02 PM
ya you deffended the clown making the vid. i called him a lier, and you stood up for him saying he`s a smart guy..smart people lie the most girl

Bonz
01-13-2017, 02:06 PM
i also show where the twist to fast came from. the stats he claims of 91 and 92% of bc people oppose it..thats the twist number 1 in the vid. and their are more
that is a privete paid group, not regular citizens. and i said ive one them, been paid and had zero clue hat i was talking about in the subjects i did.
its a call lost, they call same people over an over for all their stats.
id like to see how many on that list hunt, vs hate hunting vs unbiased, and then how many total were asked?..10/...1,000?, usualy its barely in the hundreds

Bonz
01-13-2017, 02:08 PM
Feel free to show me in the wolf cull thread where I said " I know so much about it" in terms of the wolf cull in South Selkirks.
In the posts I made I was highlighting the fact that wolf culls are typically simple band aids and not solutions in and of themselves.
Never did I reference my own personal experience or knowledge but used primary scientific literature that was looking at attributing ungulate declines to factors outside of predation.

well by saying its a bandaid and no a solution, says you feel you do know about it, people that dont know, dont comment a view usualy
so if its a bandaid,. whats the fix?

Bonz
01-13-2017, 02:12 PM
was funny hearing zero dollars from hunting goes to the bear. guess he figures tags and licence are free?

BgBlkDg
01-13-2017, 02:20 PM

Blah, Blah, Blah, "feel free" to post where and when you obtained your Bsc.

Bonz
01-13-2017, 02:21 PM
in other words. she copy n pasted...again

jassmine
01-13-2017, 10:12 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah, "feel free" to post where and when you obtained your Bsc.

So, you can't...

jassmine
01-13-2017, 10:21 PM
ya you deffended the clown making the vid.

I stood up for a researcher at SFU.
Not once did I ever defend John Marriott. But feel to indicate the post where I did.

Piperdown
01-14-2017, 06:59 AM
Popcorn come and get your popcorn :) I see our little c&p queen has a few posts as of late, what happen you poke the bear boys :mrgreen:

Bonz
01-14-2017, 07:14 AM
I stood up for a researcher at SFU.
Not once did I ever defend John Marriott. But feel to indicate the post where I did.

marlott is spewing the raincoast guys info. and you deff3end mr raincoast. means you deffend marlott to since he`s just a puppet for raincoast.
your raincoast researcher is a fraud to

GoatGuy
01-14-2017, 09:54 AM

Yes, his papers did come up in the grizz review, but the authors were often not supportive of his work/conclusions.

There were a couple fundamental failures as it relates to SY, and the paper omitted the latest with regards to grizzly bear survival/modelling.

Best thing to do would be to contrast Artelle's paper with the latest McLellan paper on grizzly hunting to see if the theoretical paper on risk works on the applied side.
When you look at the predictions made by Artelle and the applied findings in McLellan's work you find the risk theory is not consistent with reality.

The most interesting thing with Artelle's work and Darimont's work as it relates to grizzly bears is it often fails to cite work done by some of the most well-respected grizz researchers in NA.

As it relates to the world of Raincoast, it should be recognized a pile of the work is done around grizzly bears, wolves, trophy hunting, hunting, and the latest hunting of cougars. How a 'conservation organization' spends so much time on anti-hunting, and so little on conservation activities points to motives. The appearance is of a fundraising entity.

A recent one to consider which is applicable:
https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/article/2900175/Conserving-Megafauna-or-Sacrificing-Biodiversity

bearvalley
01-14-2017, 10:04 AM
As it relates to the world of Raincoast, it should be recognized a pile of the work is done around grizzly bears, wolves, trophy hunting, hunting, and the latest hunting of cougars. How a 'conservation organization' spends so much time on anti-hunting, and so little on conservation activities points to motives. The appearance is of a fundraising entity.

Well said!

jassmine
01-14-2017, 01:10 PM
There were a couple fundamental failures as it relates to SY, and the paper omitted the latest with regards to grizzly bear survival/modelling.

Would you mind elaborating on the failures and where you would the use of better survival modelling methods in that particular paper?