PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit hunting kamloops

Dorarem
01-09-2017, 06:45 AM
Hey guys! Can you help me please with some tips about rabbit hunting near kamloops? where to go? any ideas ? thank you

sausage lover
01-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Just go hike around in this fresh snow and you will find their tracks.They are everywhere in ktown,just hard to spot due to their great camo fur.I usually bump them from the bush when I'm coyote hunting.

M.Dean
01-09-2017, 11:39 AM
There's been a ton of rabbits around here the last couple of years, hence the massive increase in Lynx, Bob Cats and Cougars. Pick any side road with brush growing on either side and go for a walk, we find early morning or evenings the best. But remember, it's "Winter" up here in the mountains, so your going to need either a snow machine or snow shoes to get into places where there's rabbits. We've had dam near 6 inches of snow in the last few hours and it ain't slow'in down! And the only way your going to get to any side roads is on plowed logging roads, so be very very careful out there! So ya, pick one of the many logging roads around Kamloops and find a good place to park well off the road so the logging trucks don't run your truck over, grab a gun, snow shoe's, sled, ski's or what ever and go look for rabbits! Let us know how you make out, and Good Luck out there!

walks with deer
01-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Sorry dorarem..

Have you gone for a hike?

There is rabbits on every secound growth trail of spruce deciduous mix in the area..

We shot 8-10 every time we look for them..once you find one there will be tonnes.

BigfishCanada
01-09-2017, 11:52 AM
Do you have a sled? some roads have 1000's but id say hard to access now with the snow, that being said, during the day they are hard to find, just after sun goes down the roads are covered.

bacon_overlord
01-10-2017, 11:23 AM
How come every one of your posts is the same. "Can someone give me GPS coordinates of the animal I want? " I don't wear out my boots to feed your family. Get out and look around.

walks with deer
01-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Bacon_overlord my thoughts exactly .

I cant help that guy he need to do some scouting or hunting..

M.Dean
01-10-2017, 12:08 PM
How come every one of your posts is the same. "Can someone give me GPS coordinates of the animal I want? " I don't wear out my boots to feed your family. Get out and look around. Any chance he could be a new hunter? And just maybe he's asking on this site cuz some of the posts have to do with hunt'in? And if you don't want to help the guy out, Don't, but don't put the guy down for asking a question about hunting. Some of us enjoy trying to help a new hunter, or even old hunters out.

bacon_overlord
01-10-2017, 01:40 PM
@ m dean..
I absolutely agree with you that part of this site is to mentor and teach new hunters. Your tips for advice are spot On and excellent.
However, if someone doesn't seem to apply the copious amounts of excellent advice they've been given...why handhold further.

I learned where the critters live by walking and looking. Hike around an area, look for sign, note the conditions and file it away. If you're hunting deer and find bear and hare sign, as well, which you almost always do, awesome. GPS way point it and keep exploring. I learned hunting techniques and more about the prey biology and behavior by reading, here (best but least used HBC tool: the forum search) and other places, and observing while in the field. these two themes are 90% of all the advice given in HBC it seems.

Basically, If you haven't found hares around Kamloops while hunting other species, you either didn't get out of the truck, or city limits.
All the advice on this fellas previous threads would have gotten him into some great bunny holes if it were followed. The adage about leading a horse to water comes to mind.

All that being said I'll also take your advice and in future if I cant say something nice, I won't say nuthin' at all..

CBH
01-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Look for regen pine areas. If there are good numbers of rabbits in the area, you will notice the bark at the base of the tree has been eaten, and there are rabbit droppings and tracks all over the place.

dave_fras
01-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Find fresh tracks and hit the willow juat before dark. Look for the eyes!

walks with deer
01-10-2017, 10:26 PM
I agrre with bacon_overload. I have already told the guy great spots...
He just asks where to go and hasnt tried to look...

If you took a 20km radius around doreheams house you would find moose, deer muley and whitey, elk, black bear, maybe even grizz, ruff, blue, spruce, and chuckar, snowshoes, cougar, lynk,

I already told him where to look and he seems to just ask more... if he asked for tactic advice and showed he was trying he may get more help.

Rabbit tracks in snow, easy one, chewed branches, secound growth and thick, walk a trail shoot a bunny rewalk trail shoot another...they are a colony type ani I'm al once you see one you have a pocket and will see more.

Same applies to deer.

90percent of game 10 percent area burn some gas telll you see game than hike the crap out of that area. Learn to butcher and eat well.

Maybe join ktsa may find a mentour...

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-10-2017, 11:19 PM
Maybe he's trying to Jel-Zero some folks' honey holes!

Hahaha that was funny stuff that Jelvis.

walks with deer
01-10-2017, 11:26 PM
Yes your right maybe he is jellos kid if that was the case I would tell him to meet me at my house sat and we could kill bunnys and yotes..

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-10-2017, 11:45 PM
Right on!

I am going out again soon to see how I do, here in the EK.

Dorarem
01-11-2017, 02:35 PM
First of all if you dont want to help, please dont reply! Second, I am an international student and I got my licences in August 2016. think thats easy to figure out all this stuff by myself?? if someone will ask me for any help in my country, I will help without any questions! even with hunting! Dont understand people like you! U think i will go there and kill all animals or what, if u give me some tips about location or something?? maximum I can go out hunting 1-2 times a month as I am student and part time worker! thats why i am asking for any possible help. thanks

bacon_overlord
01-11-2017, 02:50 PM
go here: 50.6660*N 120.3557*W
look for rabbit

You state you are a student You are likely paying a lot of money to learn information. So the concept of knowledge and information having value is familiar to you. Your instructors likewise have paid for their knowledge, which they pass on to you.

You are asking for free for information and knowledge that members have paid for with time, sweat, fuel, and other costs. We'll tell you where the school is, and how to teach yourself, but nobody will give you the specific info on where their hunting spots or honey holes are, info they have worked for, for free (well maybe Jelvis, but he's plainly a lunatic). As well you are asking on the great wide interweb, where any other hunters can and will take this intel.

If you are looking for a hunting partner or mentor, then that is a very different proposition than what you have asked for on your threads. And one more likely to find some takers. I'd suggest you try that tack.. ask to accompany someone and learn from them.

skibum
01-11-2017, 04:27 PM
For F'in sakes, he is asking about rabbits!?!

bacon_overlord, a dude with 26 posts, is smacking down sh!t with authority. You have too much time on your hands to write all that, which basically is trying to shoot a guy down.

Around Kamloops, look for cuts with 5 - 10 years of spruce regrowth. The rabbits like to come out right at dusk - I find there is a short window when they appear and when it becomes too dark to hunt, but you can extend your hunting time by pushing through the trees a couple hours before dusk.

I would drive forestry roads (not main ones) that are through the above, again near dusk to first put yourself on some bunnies. But I have to admit, that I have not gotten out recently in the snow, but did nail more than a few this fall.

mrdoog
01-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Have seen more bunnies on the west side of the Thompson, up behind Batchelor Heights area, than on the east side of the river.
Keep your eyes open around culverts, sneaky buggers use them as their escape routes.

walks with deer
01-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Skibum,

You should review the OP list of posts`s I have given him great advice a few times, sometimes he even asks the same question over.

bacon_overload is commenting as he has noticed these posts as well.

Dorarem, I was going to give you some easy spots back in sept but your heart was set on going to the areas we told you about in the peace I explained to you you would be more successful going out around where you live. as ou where going to the peace for like 3 days or something of the such.

longer days are coming go for some drives.

Go up westsyde and into the bonaparte lots of game and endless exploring..

trail on the right after km 47 i see most bunnies on.

horshur
01-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Are you guys actually shooting hare now? my experience tough time of year for rifle shoot but good snaring. I hope you are commenting on actual personal experience.

Dorarem
01-11-2017, 09:29 PM
i didnt go up north that time! was doing hunting near kamloops and got my mule buck! saw 2 moose bull and 1 cow but didnt shoot , just because. all that was in 3-19 3-18. but for all time in october and couple hunting days in November i saw only 2 rabbits. havent gone yet to the other side of the river...