PDA

View Full Version : Reloading and neck tension..too much?

uraarchr
01-08-2017, 10:50 PM
How much neck tension is too much?
On my .45-70 I'm not really concerned because it's primarily used for only up to 150 yd shots.
But on my 6.5x55 I like to practice out to 600.....650 yds.while handloading I decided to pull some bullets and they wouldn't come out using the hammer bullet puller ......
vise grips and the press worked but still difficult.Seemed like that's tight.....any solutions and advise?I think I want to take another step now to get better results.thanks

r106
01-08-2017, 10:56 PM
How does it shoot? Migh be a non issue. I have one of those hammer style bullet pullers. Sometimes I think it's going shatter to pieces when ever I use it there in there good, even with no crimp.

Dirty
01-08-2017, 11:06 PM
Are they crimped? Are you chamfer/deburring?

hoochie
01-08-2017, 11:12 PM
I would say that if they dont come out with a "hammer puller" they are too tight. My thought about being too tight is that it would create excess pressure. Do you have issues with blown out primers?
Trying to pull some crimped SST, I do recall actually shattering my hammer puller on the concrete floor I had to whack them so hard.

338win mag
01-08-2017, 11:47 PM
How much neck tension is too much?
On my .45-70 I'm not really concerned because it's primarily used for only up to 150 yd shots.
But on my 6.5x55 I like to practice out to 600.....650 yds.while handloading I decided to pull some bullets and they wouldn't come out using the hammer bullet puller ......
vise grips and the press worked but still difficult.Seemed like that's tight.....any solutions and advise?I think I want to take another step now to get better results.thanks

You should be more concerned about neck tension with the 45-70 because of the straight wall case, and (recoil is an issue) therefore should/needs to be crimped, I use a factory crimp die because of the simplicity. I dont see the need to crimp a 6.5x55 some guys do.
If your using the hammer type puller then put a piece of wood on a concrete floor and go for it, they should/will come out.

uraarchr
01-09-2017, 08:36 AM
Thanks for replies.I do chamfer and de-burr.
My groups seemed better when it was warmer out.Three in half inch to 5/8 .....and then two would be out to 3/4 to 1 1/8 (usually the first 3 would be the tight group and then it would open with the last 2.
There is some contact on the stock......a thin paper contacts when slid under barrel

uraarchr
01-09-2017, 08:41 AM
I think I'll a dress the barrel contact issue and then look at other issues after to tighten the groups if that doesn't work.
I remember that there was no barrel contact on my .300 small and the 5 shot groups were much more consistent.(less fliers)?

uraarchr
01-09-2017, 08:42 AM
.300 WSM ....spell correct.

Blockcaver
01-09-2017, 10:22 AM
If the ammo has sat around loaded for a significant period of time the bullets will tend to bond a bit to the neck. Corrosion, galvanic action between Cu and brass, I am not sure the scientific reason but have had it happen. In order to pull bullets from cases that have been loaded for a long period, I seat the bullet a bit deeper into the case with the press/seating die before using the inertia puller. Helps a bunch. Bonding is probably one of the reasons besides fine tuning the powder charge for the actual temperature conditions that some serious benchrest competitors reload right at the match......although most of the competitors don't let loaded ammo sit around for years like the rest of us.