PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Animal Help

StuBrown
01-08-2017, 12:27 PM
I have harvested many animals in the spring and fall and have no issues dealing with the meat, we process everything ourselves. I have never had to deal with anything like this where meat is frozen.

My buddy just filled his LEH tag for Elk up north. The animal is completely frozen now by the time they field processed it and transported it back here. It is currently -22 in Prince George. The animal is quartered and hanging in my carport. It is not going to warm up any time soon.

I had thought about bringing it in the house 36-24 hours before butchering to let it thaw so we can process.

Any advise on what some of you have done in the past would be great.

Whonnock Boy
01-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Only way to do it is, thaw it out, but do it slowly, which may take a week or more.

walks with deer
01-08-2017, 12:36 PM
We had the same thing happen throw a quarter on the kitchen table cut next day

Some parts will still be frozen but it cuts no problem

Caribou_lou
01-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Let it hang in carport until it warms up. I don't think it will go bad. Will it?

walks with deer
01-08-2017, 12:49 PM
No it wouldnt...

Gateholio
01-08-2017, 01:29 PM
When I have had to cut up a moose by myself I had it in frozen quarters just like you do now. I would take out a quarter at a time to process. You don't really want it to be in a HOT place to defrost, and defrosting over several days at 4C is the best, but a cool corner of the house will be fine.

two-feet
01-08-2017, 02:11 PM
I will usually process an animal into large pieces and then freeze. These large pieces will be brought out and proccessed to the final product over the winter. Meat that is still 1/2 frozen is best to work with

Stone Sheep Steve
01-08-2017, 02:19 PM
If you lack space to let it thaw out slowly, stick a quarter in a large salmon cooler so it thaws slowly. Keep an eye on it as it thaws.

Ride Red
01-08-2017, 02:22 PM
All good advise here. No issues with it hanging in your carport frozen, same as being in your freezer as long as it's staying clean.

SaintSix
01-08-2017, 07:48 PM
You can wrap a tarp over it, make like a tipi and stick a small propane heater in. low heat and best monitored with a temp guage, if there is too much heat make the opening larger.

moosinaround
01-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Take it to a meat cutter and get it all done for you. No extra charge for thawing there! A&B has done this for me, and Hunnifords said they would this year too. Ill bet Chilako will thaw and cut for you too! Moosin

Sportster
01-09-2017, 01:19 AM
I hunt in Alberta in November and have come back to buddies place in Edmonton with several deercicles on more than one occasion. we hang the the deer in the garage and setup a propane heater blower . works great every time and there ready for us to prosses the next morning . Still ice cold but not frozen.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-09-2017, 01:39 AM
Usually I have the opposite problem - Ensuring the meat stays cool enough and doesn't spoil! That said, when it's frozen I do what walks with Deer said here -

We had the same thing happen throw a quarter on the kitchen table cut next day

Some parts will still be frozen but it cuts no problem

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-09-2017, 01:40 AM
Usually I have the opposite problem - Ensuring the meat stays cool enough and doesn't spoil! That said, when it's frozen I do what walks with Deer said here -Frozen meat is great for a lot of cooking. The Semi-Frozen Meat's way easier to slice thinly!

Plenty of great advice here folks.

btridge
01-09-2017, 09:05 AM
If you know some one with a band saw, it cuts really well while frozen. you can cut a moose in very short order this way, steaks =wow fast

.308SLAYER
01-09-2017, 12:23 PM
If you know some one with a band saw, it cuts really well while frozen. you can cut a moose in very short order this way, steaks =wow fast

X2 best time to cut your steaks

tinhorse
01-09-2017, 12:45 PM
put quarters in bathtub and let thaw over night. Cut the next day. Amazing how much liquid will come off onto your kitchen floor if left to thaw on you table and if it wasnt hung and all juices drained prior to freezing. A little bleach and a quick wipe will get the blood out of the tub. Easiest way that I have found.

StuBrown
01-10-2017, 09:00 AM
Thank you all for the advise. Hoping it all goes well this weekend.