PDA

View Full Version : New to big game, new to Kamloops, advice please?

michaelodeon
07-07-2007, 02:02 AM
Howdy fowks,

I've been waterfowling for the last 4 years, but i've got the itch for big game, but i've searched the site and i havent found much on how to get into the sport.

I'm thinking of starting out with deer, problem is i just moved to kamloops and i'm not sure where to go, when to go, and how to prepare. I'm probably gonna try to take out the old man who hasnt been out in 20 years, so basically same boat as me.

Any advice on starting out would be GREATLY appreciated!

PS. i'm thinking of booking a motel or something so we can spend a couple days where we end up hunting, so let me know what your thoughts are.
Cheers,
Mike

thatskindafunny
07-07-2007, 06:45 AM
I would start off by joining your local fish & game club. Go with someone with experience and then things should fall into place from then on. Someone from Kamloops should be able to tell you where the nearest game club is.

boxhitch
07-07-2007, 07:08 AM
You don't have to go far out of town to be in good deer country. Grab a copy of the Backroads book for the Thompson area, and do some driving. Exploring is half the fun. Lots of good lakes too.
Good Luck and welcome to the site..

The Hermit
07-07-2007, 08:49 AM
What big game are you talking? Moose, Buffalo, Grizz, Elk?? Or anything and everything including deer and goats, sheep etc.

Tip #1 - Buy good quality gear. The cheap stuff breaks and doesn't perform, and the really expensive stuff isn't necessary to enjoy a quality hunt. Just don't cheap out.

Tip #2 - If you are only going to buy one gun get a 30.06 in a stainless barrel with a composite stock. LOL Now watch the flames! LOL

Tip #3 - Get OFF the road and walk, slowly and quietly.

bsa30-06
07-07-2007, 08:52 AM
like boxhitch said get a copy of the backroads map book for your area, and the regs ( understand them) and start exploring.I'm sure it won't take long before you start seeing deer and finding area's you like.Good luck and welcome to HBC.

Baba Ganoosh
07-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Mike, I maybe able to help you. You looking for a meat buck or a wall hanger???? The best thing to do is get your back roads map book, look up the Criss creek, Tranquille river junctions. Do some touring and go there for opening week. I've connected there on a few occasions. For big bone hunting consider a triplater in the season, and look at Blue River area. Anyways, good luck, and if I can help you any further let me know! I hunted the Kamloop/Logan lake area for 10 years.

308BAR
07-07-2007, 09:47 AM
When you find a road and and exlpore you'll probably find a lot of clear cuts, get out and walk and glass the cuts. Look for signs like prints and fresh dropping if you find some it probably be a good place to hunt early in the morning and evening. In grassy areas look for grass that looks like its been flatten in all direction, this would usually indicate a bedding area and maybe a good place to still hunt later in the day. Good luck to ya.

michaelodeon
07-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Hey thanks for the advice so far. My old man has 30-06, 308 and 3030, so i should be good in that department. I've got the backroads map here beside me and will definitely do some scouting.

I'm thinking about making a trip out of it for opening week, any advice on where to go, I was thinking maybe north of Little Fort, but really I have no clue where to go. Any camps, cabins or resort you guys can recommend within a couple hours or so?

Cheers,
Mike

MichelD
07-07-2007, 11:14 AM
You can easily do day trips from Kamloops into good deer country.

Jamieson Crk. Road, Knouff Lake road are just a couple good access points I've heard about.

michaelodeon
07-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Oh, and i'm thinking about starting out with deer and see where it goes from there

CanuckShooter
07-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Tips on taking up deer hunting:

Practice shooting different distances...different angles...until you are confident that where you aim is where the bullet is going.

Find out how to follow a blood trail...and always check to verify if you have missed a deer. A lot of beginners assume that because it ran away that they missed.

Buy goretex boots and waterproof pants, as they are worth their weight in gold when you spend a day hiking through tall wet grass.

Use a different knife for taking off tarsal glands than the one you use for dressing the animal.

Jelvis
07-07-2007, 03:25 PM
michaelodeon; If you want to go to nice spot for deer, stay somewhere close to Bridge Lake or Sheridan lake your very close to, and can cross from Reg. 5 and Reg 3. Particularly MU 5:1 and MU 3:30. two of the best deer and moose areas, on Hwy 24, (The Fisher Person's Highway) Boundary is Roe Lake for these two funtastic areas in the BC province. Hunt windy creek one day, then try west of Sheridan Lake the next. Less than a two hour drive from Kamloops straight up hwy 5 to Little Fort, turn left (west) drive and enjoy the scenery, and spotting deer. Try Wavey Lake too and French Lake areas etc, etc. Bridge Lake and Sheridan Lake for a base call ahead for reservation of room or cabins, you won't go wrong, Let's see those after pictures when you get back. Jel --- Use your roads atlas for looking at the area, and boundaries. That's your spot for sure. You'll both love it!

Caveman
07-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Oh, and i'm thinking about starting out with deer and see where it goes from there

Mike, what part of town do you live in? I'll point you in the closest direction to what you are looking for.

mapguy
07-07-2007, 06:45 PM
anywhere up to clearwater area i've seen deer all over that region

michaelodeon
07-07-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm in Aberdeen, right off 5A.

Cheers,

Mike, what part of town do you live in? I'll point you in the closest direction to what you are looking for.

Caveman
07-07-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm in Aberdeen, right off 5A.

Cheers,
Head south into knutsford turn right on Long Lake Rd, take your first right on the Goose Lake rd, travel ten or fifteen minutes west then take you will pass some farms (no shooting ) then just after you pass the last one by about 1km there is a gate on your left which will take you to the gas pipeline and some good deer and moose country. 2nd choice would be same start as the first but carry on past the Goose lake turn off and take the next right which will take you to Edith Lake at the fork take the right one which will take you into a network of roads on the south of where you got with the first instructions. Borders farm land and timber. Moose, Muleys, and Whitetail. All within a half hour of your house. Great place to start. Good Luck!! Hows That If this isn't clear enough PM me

Kirby
07-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Head south into knutsford turn right on Long Lake Rd, take your first right on the Goose Lake rd, travel ten or fifteen minutes west then take you will pass some farms (no shooting ) then just after you pass the last one by about 1km there is a gate on your left which will take you to the gas pipeline and some good deer and moose country. 2nd choice would be same start as the first but carry on past the Goose lake turn off and take the next right which will take you to Edith Lake at the fork take the right one which will take you into a network of roads on the south of where you got with the first instructions. Borders farm land and timber. Moose, Muleys, and Whitetail. All within a half hour of your house. Great place to start. Good Luck!! Hows That If this isn't clear enough PM me

Just remember to stay off the private unless you got permission... But those are some good directions.

Kirby

michaelodeon
07-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Thats a great start, I guess now I have to do my homework so I know what the hell i'm doing once i get there!

mike