PDA

View Full Version : Pinaus Perch Fishing

RBooth
01-04-2017, 07:51 PM
Hey Guys,
I've been wanting to try to catch perch for years now. I haven't fished for them since I was a kid on Duck Lake by Kelowna Aiport. I'm in Kamloops now and have been thinking I want to try Pinaus and Swan. Just wondering if anyone could give me any pointers? I'm assuming start shallow by a weed bed, small hooks and bait. Is Pinaus L. Plowed in the winter still or do you need a snowmobile to access?

Thanks!
Ryan

wifigary
01-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Swan is full of perch, haven't come across any in those upper lakes yet. Went out to Monte new years day, and had some luck with 2 Kokanee, and also getting good trout out of Pillar ( both closer options with good thick safe ice right now )

Dannybuoy
01-04-2017, 08:52 PM
Pinaus is full of perch and rainbows , generally shallow for perch and deeper for the rainbows (+20ft) Cant say if its ploughed or not but they used to keep it open to the lodge .
Swan has lots of perch with a good chance for a nice rainbow (1-5lbs)as well The whole lake is shallow but its usually better closer to town out from the trailer park

wrenchhead
01-05-2017, 02:50 AM
Ya swan is full of perch. I run a four inch spoon with a hook tied to a 10 inch leader. Any sort of bait seems to work. When you find them it's non stop action.

OutsyderBC
01-05-2017, 10:05 PM
What size of Perch could I expect to catch at Pinaus?

Always fancied a go…….I miss perch

Dannybuoy
01-06-2017, 08:47 AM
What size of Perch could I expect to catch at Pinaus?

Always fancied a go…….I miss perch

You could catch a few in the 8 -14" range , same as swan lake with the likelihood of a lot in the 2-6"
Always did well out from the FS campsite or near Southeast end of the lake , never tried closer to the lodge .

RBooth
01-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Thanks guys! Planning for this Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes!

RBooth
01-17-2017, 08:45 AM
No luck on the perch. Between 6 people we lost a little tiny one at the whole, saw a big one down about 7' in 14' of water and that was it! The rainbow fishing was decent for mid day but over all slow. Moved around a lot and finally got into a spot on the north west end where we had steady action for 45min but other than that it very poor fishing. All the rainbows under 2lbs but didn't weigh any.

landphil
01-17-2017, 09:26 AM
How thick is the ice up there now?

RBooth
01-19-2017, 11:18 PM
Amazing it was only in the 6" range. We were at Monte Lake the same day and Monte had around double what Pinaus did. Monte was around 1' thick, maybe a bit less

the force
01-21-2017, 03:28 PM
I haven't been out this year but can usually manage a handful or two from Pinaus. I think the trick is in the technique. 90percent of the time I fish within 6" of the bottom. Use a very small tungsten jig with either a couple maggots or mealworm. Jig for 15 seconds and then hold dead still (sometimes I'll set my rod on a little pile of ice) for 30 seconds and repeat. I watch my line when holding still for the slightest movement and set the hook when I see it. If I haven't caught one in 10 mins I move. I realize I'm a bit late but for next time. Let me know how it works if you go.

Amphibious
02-05-2017, 02:52 PM
I see massive clouds of small (1-3") perch in the milfoil in Wood Lake every year, but have yet to catch one of size on a rod.