PDA

View Full Version : Late Season Elk Hunting Tips

Wolfkrieg
01-03-2017, 08:25 PM
Hey there guys & gals,

Me and my brother are heading out for a late season elk hunt in 7-20A, and by the looks of it we are not going to be alone ( which is great and I wish everyone good else good luck ). I was hoping to pick the brains of anybody who has had good experience ( and bad ) with harvesting these awesome animals. I'm just looking for generic advise, and perhaps some contrasts to deer hunting.

Are there any big differences between hunting Elk vs hunting Deer? ( which i'm more experienced with ). Area's to focus glass on most? Hunting Styles? Hunting open fields or in the timber?

Any and all brief or long tidbits are greatly appreciated and I hope this post also assists anyone else who is up there and new to the game.

Cheers,
Matt

walks with deer
01-03-2017, 09:53 PM
Snowmobile.

Aim for top of botttom third top third is no mans land

Whonnock Boy
01-03-2017, 10:01 PM
Drive around, spot elk, bang on doors nearby looking for land owner, be respectful if declined, be thankful if allowed, close gates, possibly call CO, and if possible hunt extreme cold. I hear it's a tougher hunt now, but it's always worth a shot. Good luck.

Sitkaspruce
01-04-2017, 06:31 PM
So far this year, the elk are scattered and not really bunched up. We had a 2 week cold spell and they started to herd up a little, but we have no snow (maybe 6-8" around FSJ) so there is no real reason for them to feed in fields all day. Another cold spell plus some snow for this weekend and into next week just might get them herded up and feeding more.

If I was to hunt around FSJ, I would do a couple days of scouting, looking for sign and asking land owners, but do not count out crown land as most of the elk in fields bed down in crown land, you just need to find them and ambush them. Chasing them could push them to another location.

Check out Farrell Creek, Upper Cache, and the Aitken Creek.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

Wolfkrieg
01-04-2017, 07:22 PM
Well actually as it turns out I do have private land access near Chetwynd. Sounds like there may be some Elk kicking around based on what the landowner has mentioned. However I don't want to rely solely on word of mouth and wanted to know what people with success are doing in late season. I'm hoping that it does indeed drop a few inches or more when we get up next week and it'll be easier to see fresh tracks. Hoping for the best. I'm allowed to take a any sex/any age, hoping to see a bull but if 2 or 3 days go by with no rack i'm going to have to settle for some even more tender meat.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

moosinaround
01-04-2017, 08:53 PM
I just got back from up around chetwynd last week. Too warm, and not enough snow to push elk into fields. Im going back up as soon as it snows 12 more inches, and drops really cold. We seen elk sign, but they are in the timber. Seen 6-8 which were untouchable for us, and a huge herd on the way home, just outside the 7-20a zone! We will try a couple more times, and I may just stay an extra day to see if I can entice a few land sharks with my fox pro, there is no shortage of them up there!! Moosin

PressurePoint
01-04-2017, 08:54 PM
Find a high spot and glass glass glass. My hunting party and I harvest several elk every year out of that area. Time and glassing.

Wolfkrieg
01-04-2017, 09:35 PM
Well actually as it turns out I do have private land access near Chetwynd. Sounds like there may be some Elk kicking around based on what the landowner has mentioned. However I don't want to rely solely on word of mouth and wanted to know what people with success are doing in late season. I'm hoping that it does indeed drop a few inches or more when we get up next week and it'll be easier to see fresh tracks. Hoping for the best. I'm allowed to take a any sex/any age, hoping to see a bull but if 2 or 3 days go by with no rack i'm going to have to settle for some even more tender meat.

Just peaking at the forecast and it appears that it will snow over 6" between this and next week and drop below -20. Hopefully this is what it takes to push them a bit lower!

Wolfkrieg
01-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Find a high spot and glass glass glass. My hunting party and I harvest several elk every year out of that area. Time and glassing.

Thanks for the tip. How far are you typically glassing? Across canyons/mountain sides with a spotting scope or lower down and along the treeline with regular binoculars? How often do you find yourself changing vantage points?

hunter1947
01-05-2017, 05:27 AM
So far this year, the elk are scattered and not really bunched up. We had a 2 week cold spell and they started to herd up a little, but we have no snow (maybe 6-8" around FSJ) so there is no real reason for them to feed in fields all day. Another cold spell plus some snow for this weekend and into next week just might get them herded up and feeding more.

If I was to hunt around FSJ, I would do a couple days of scouting, looking for sign and asking land owners, but do not count out crown land as most of the elk in fields bed down in crown land, you just need to find them and ambush them. Chasing them could push them to another location.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

What he said X2..

Angus
01-05-2017, 11:53 AM

Good luck

Cheers

SS

Yup, what he said.

If you have access to private land get out there and look for sign. Then be prepared to hunt first hour of daylight and last hour of light. Standard stuff of being downwind and quiet, as these critters spook easily, and once you've pushed them off, they may not come back for a while.

Snowed last night and more is forecasted. Temps are gonna get cold so the snow should be nice a soft and quiet, not squeaky unless the winds pick up again. And the combo of cold and snow should bring them back to the fields.

If no sign at your friend's property, work the Crown land around the private fields in the areas Sitkaspruce mentioned. They'll be in the timber during the day, and then feed early and late in the fields. Find where they are coming in and out of the fields and set up.

Good luck.

tikkahunter
01-05-2017, 02:35 PM
I agree with that the other guys are saying. I was up that way just before Christmas, got our elk within the first 20 minutes of hunting. We had permission on private land with a guy we met last year by knocking on his door. First light and last light, on the edges of the fields. That was the ticket for us.

Wolfkrieg
01-05-2017, 07:34 PM
I agree with that the other guys are saying. I was up that way just before Christmas, got our elk within the first 20 minutes of hunting. We had permission on private land with a guy we met last year by knocking on his door. First light and last light, on the edges of the fields. That was the ticket for us.

Well that sure is a motivating comment! Sure am excited to see these "majestic" creatures for the first time. Did you see any much for bulls?

tikkahunter
01-05-2017, 08:37 PM
Well that sure is a motivating comment! Sure am excited to see these "majestic" creatures for the first time. Did you see any much for bulls?

Was a long way to drive for 20 minutes, but well worth it. Saw a good number of bulls mixed in with the cows.

604Stalker
01-06-2017, 07:24 AM
Go get em buddy thats my advice! 9 more days WHOOOOO!

boxhitch
01-06-2017, 08:07 AM
Sounds like you are not familiar with the area
You will be spending a whole lot more time looking for sign than bodies.

Pay attention to any sign you see crossing the roads. Make a map to keep track, don't try to go from memory
In some areas the roads are on a grid, drive the grid to see where the elk traffic is. Fresh snow helps but also recent plowing makes new snow banks, watch for holes.
It helps to keep track of age of sign by marking any sign with a piece of flagging, blue for Mon, red for Tues etc
Elk will spend a while in one area if the food is good and they are safe, try to narrow it down

Spend lunch hour at the small local coffee shop, truckers/workers can have some good advice

Sometimes it is the little details that pay off

Good Luck

Wolfkrieg
01-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Sounds like you are not familiar with the area
You will be spending a whole lot more time looking for sign than bodies.

Pay attention to any sign you see crossing the roads. Make a map to keep track, don't try to go from memory
In some areas the roads are on a grid, drive the grid to see where the elk traffic is. Fresh snow helps but also recent plowing makes new snow banks, watch for holes.
It helps to keep track of age of sign by marking any sign with a piece of flagging, blue for Mon, red for Tues etc
Elk will spend a while in one area if the food is good and they are safe, try to narrow it down

Spend lunch hour at the small local coffee shop, truckers/workers can have some good advice

Sometimes it is the little details that pay off

Good Luck

Thanks for the great advise and I will burn this into my brain...
However as I mentioned I will be mainly on about 5000 acres of private land, so probably not much for grid-like roads.
But you are correct in that i'm unfamiliar with the area and will be spending a lot of time glassing for tracks rather than bodies.
Hopefully combined with a recommended generally active area from the landowner, I will be able to narrow it down to some specific
treeline's or timbered area's and wait for them to come out to feed or vice versa ( morning and evening ).

Who knows.... maybe it'll be as simple as walking in and noticing a (rather gigantic) elk chomping on a hay bail. :)

P.s. I like the idea of marking the tracks with colour.

LupieHunter
01-06-2017, 10:08 AM
Check the moon cycle before you go. If it's full or near full wait till it changes. The animals will feed in the fields under the light of the moon in the middle of the night. We made this mistake a few years ago. Also verify with the landowner if you can shoot either sex. Even though your tag may be for either sex, some landowners will only allow cows to be shot on their land.

Rhyno
01-06-2017, 10:39 AM

I have had this draw twice and was sucessful both times on private land. Really need the snow and cold to get them bunched up and on the fields. In my limited experience a bull would have been way easier to shoot that a cow!

Wolfkrieg
01-06-2017, 04:17 PM
I have had this draw twice and was sucessful both times on private land. Really need the snow and cold to get them bunched up and on the fields. In my limited experience a bull would have been way easier to shoot that a cow!

I'm hearing you, and i'm liking it ! I'm wondering at what temperature range they really started to get pushed down into the fields. Forecast is showing temps well into the -20's for when i'm up there. I'm no Elk but that's pretty cold!!

Rhyno
01-06-2017, 04:49 PM
It was -20 to 25 during my hunts but the colder the better!

best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Sitkaspruce
01-06-2017, 08:11 PM
Some snow has fallen and it is getting colder, but the wind is back, so make sure you are dressed for it!!

It is supposed to get into the high -30 to low -40's with the few days, so hunting will be FUN!!!!

A couple things to consider;

- dress for the cold, but think about dressing out the animal with out gloves etc. So be prepared for that
- Access - depending on what the farmer will allow, you might have to get the animal out physically. If you have access to a snowmobile and the farmer will allow you to cross fields with one, bring one. If not, find a Pelican sled to skid the animal out. With the snow that has fallen and the wind, there will be drifts of snow everywhere. Maybe the farmer will use his tractor to help you out.
- If you have access to a ground blind, it can help with sitting and waiting until they come out.
- if you surprise them and they bugger off, don't chase them. Remember, they have been hunted since Sept 01 and are damn spooky. You don't want them to leave and not come back.

Lots of good advise here, all you need is a little luck and some straight shooting and you should have some freezer filler!!

Cheers

SS

Wolfkrieg
01-06-2017, 10:01 PM
Some snow has fallen and it is getting colder, but the wind is back, so make sure you are dressed for it!!

It is supposed to get into the high -30 to low -40's with the few days, so hunting will be FUN!!!!

A couple things to consider;

- dress for the cold, but think about dressing out the animal with out gloves etc. So be prepared for that
- Access - depending on what the farmer will allow, you might have to get the animal out physically. If you have access to a snowmobile and the farmer will allow you to cross fields with one, bring one. If not, find a Pelican sled to skid the animal out. With the snow that has fallen and the wind, there will be drifts of snow everywhere. Maybe the farmer will use his tractor to help you out.
- If you have access to a ground blind, it can help with sitting and waiting until they come out.
- if you surprise them and they bugger off, don't chase them. Remember, they have been hunted since Sept 01 and are damn spooky. You don't want them to leave and not come back.

Lots of good advise here, all you need is a little luck and some straight shooting and you should have some freezer filler!!

Cheers

SS

Great advice thank you! and I will post pics after the harvest you can get your ass

Backwoods
01-07-2017, 12:04 PM
When you head up PM me, I'm in Kelowna right now and back to Fsj in a few days, I don't have private land but me and my buddies have been successful every year for the past five on crown land, this year no one got a tag unbelievable out of 2500 tags handed out!!! I'm off work for 6 weeks recovery from surgery so I mite be able to put you into an area if you want to try it for a day!! Good luck bud!
-Backwoods

Wolfkrieg
01-07-2017, 01:41 PM
When you head up PM me, I'm in Kelowna right now and back to Fsj in a few days, I don't have private land but me and my buddies have been successful every year for the past five on crown land, this year no one got a tag unbelievable out of 2500 tags handed out!!! I'm off work for 6 weeks recovery from surgery so I mite be able to put you into an area if you want to try it for a day!! Good luck bud!
-Backwoods

PM sent! Thanks

Wolfkrieg
01-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Day 1:

-33C and snow is barely dropping at 7:45AM ( man it get's light out late up here! ) We pull onto the private property and park where we think we aren't going to get in the way of any ranch equipment. It's pitch black and we start our treck into the abyss as we have never been here before, but I've seen the map and have a good idea of where the Elk are at. We finally get to the area where elk are supposedly most active. 2 KM walk in, in snow about 16" deep. It's daylight by the time we get to the area, just barely ( damnit didn't realize it would take this long to walk 2 KM but snow was working against us ) I find a spot to get low and set up the Bino/Tripod combo. Get glassing for a while and nothing.. Finally we get a cow moose screaming at us about 200 yards away, had a little calf with it - good to see game. Turn around and bam , wolf checking us out a little ways off, would have blasted him but didn't want to ruin the morning silence. Aaaand sure enough as my brother is digging in his backpack. ELK. Cow elk staring at us, shit.. 5 more behind her slowly creep up. One cow is BIG.. but I promised myself to hold off for at least a day as I really want a bull. We watch them as they watch us for a bit.. then we pack up and leave the area trying not to spook them. See you tomorrow big lady, and it wont be on such good terms if I see you. Rest of the day was pretty slow.

We will see what tomorrow has in store.

.308SLAYER
01-09-2017, 05:55 PM
Dump that wolf you c him again....save multiple elk

Squamch
01-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Sounds promising! Also sounds like it might be a problem for my crippled dad to get to where the elk are.

ianwuzhere
01-09-2017, 06:58 PM
u watched a wolf?? and was she a fat cow- like twins?
I hope you find a nice bull and harvest a few wolves...

f350ps
01-09-2017, 08:13 PM
u watched a wolf?? and was she a fat cow- like twins?
I hope you find a nice bull and harvest a few wolves...
I read Big, different than fat, no way of telling if they're carrying calves this early till you're gutting them! It's a legal season, if you disagree call the wildlife branch! Good luck Wolfkrieg, but don't just rely on dawn and dusk, with lows like that they're feeding all day or bedding on the sunny slopes. K

Piperdown
01-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Sounds like a promising first day, good luck and keep us posted!

EELK
01-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Find sign , follow it into the timber. Worked for a buddy and myself 2 weeks ago, bring your pack board.
bosrd

slowjo
01-13-2017, 12:11 PM
any shots fired yet??

slovakien_12
01-13-2017, 04:16 PM
"if you would shoot it on the last day of the season then shoot it on the first day of the season"
biggest thing I have ever learned

Wolfkrieg
01-13-2017, 07:31 PM
"if you would shoot it on the last day of the season then shoot it on the first day of the season"
biggest thing I have ever learned

Yes, surely a tough lesson served cold and nasty.
Unfortunately the immediate traction came to a startling halt starting on Day 3. I had read that once you set a goal for hunting, to stick to it even though it will be challenging when the easier opportunities present themselves. I had my easy way out and could have tagged out first thing on the first day, but for once in my hunting career I decided to risk the meat for a more sentimental and significant reward. The combination of months of staring at a large bull bugling on my laptop wallpaper, my grandpa passing recently, and the constant physical training and reading about this animal endlessly made me strive and stick to my guns. But sometimes the pieces are misleading and don't fall neatly into place as you anticipate.

Needless to say, Day 3 and 4 were daunting and frustrating as our friendly pack of Elk had decided to boogie out of town. Hour's of glassing the previously active clearing in -30 and wind howling, toes freezing and beard hanging icicles, and no sign.We finally decided to attempt a drive from the other end of the treeline which took hours, hoping to push any remaining elk towards an opening we were watching - nothing. Still-hunted the track infested tree's but only signs of a few vacant beds and lot's of barbed-wire with tufts of hair on top of the snow.

I continued to walk the 2KM hike in morning and evening over top of my old footsteps that were no longer visible due to the howling snow and wind drifts filling them instantly.

In the end, myself and my brother both learned quite a bit about these sneaky animals. And after a few "I told you so!!"s and feeling shitty about my decision, we still enjoyed our last night and the drive home was filled with laughs. It's shit like this that keeps me obsessed and even more driven for the next trip. Fortunately, my freezer's still full from a great deer season so I'm not hurting, but the Elk meat would have definitely been welcomed. I hate to sound cliché but hindsight is definitely 20-20 and you live and learn!

Thanks to everyone who generously offered tips and advice and it is all burnt into my brain for the next endeavor.

Cheers,
Matt

Johnnyexcavator
01-14-2017, 11:08 AM
That's too bad you didn't get your bull Matt! I am heading up there in a week for the first time and must say I was sure rooting for you! Especially after such a positive first day. It sounded like you and your brother still had a great trip that you will remember for years to come!

Backwoods
01-14-2017, 11:28 AM
Right on Matt sounded like you had a great hunt and experiences spent with family!! Just that is valuable, gaining knowledge and experience for the future will be rewarding for you! I ate my elk tag this year and had two legal bulls within range but got caught off guard and couldn't make an ethical shot! Still pisses me off lol!!! -PS you should've dumped that wolf!! Lol do us all a favour up here take as many as those critters as possible! Especially if it's land you plan to hunt in the future, maybe them wolves pushed your big 360" bull out of there haha!!! All in all sounds like a good late season trip!
-Backwoods

Sitkaspruce
01-14-2017, 07:18 PM
Yes, surely a tough lesson served cold and nasty.
Unfortunately the immediate traction came to a startling halt starting on Day 3. I had read that once you set a goal for hunting, to stick to it even though it will be challenging when the easier opportunities present themselves. I had my easy way out and could have tagged out first thing on the first day, but for once in my hunting career I decided to risk the meat for a more sentimental and significant reward. The combination of months of staring at a large bull bugling on my laptop wallpaper, my grandpa passing recently, and the constant physical training and reading about this animal endlessly made me strive and stick to my guns. But sometimes the pieces are misleading and don't fall neatly into place as you anticipate.

Needless to say, Day 3 and 4 were daunting and frustrating as our friendly pack of Elk had decided to boogie out of town. Hour's of glassing the previously active clearing in -30 and wind howling, toes freezing and beard hanging icicles, and no sign.We finally decided to attempt a drive from the other end of the treeline which took hours, hoping to push any remaining elk towards an opening we were watching - nothing. Still-hunted the track infested tree's but only signs of a few vacant beds and lot's of barbed-wire with tufts of hair on top of the snow.

I continued to walk the 2KM hike in morning and evening over top of my old footsteps that were no longer visible due to the howling snow and wind drifts filling them instantly.

In the end, myself and my brother both learned quite a bit about these sneaky animals. And after a few "I told you so!!"s and feeling shitty about my decision, we still enjoyed our last night and the drive home was filled with laughs. It's shit like this that keeps me obsessed and even more driven for the next trip. Fortunately, my freezer's still full from a great deer season so I'm not hurting, but the Elk meat would have definitely been welcomed. I hate to sound cliché but hindsight is definitely 20-20 and you live and learn!

Thanks to everyone who generously offered tips and advice and it is all burnt into my brain for the next endeavor.

Cheers,
Matt

Congrats on a great hunting trip Matt!!!

Sounds like you experienced the ups and downs of chasing elk, especially in the winter!!!

Thanks for sharing your hunt!!

Cheers

SS

Squamch
01-14-2017, 09:47 PM
Sounds like a rewarding trip anyway! I'm sitting in a hotel room in PG, gotta stop at wholesale tomorrow then head on up! Where did you guys stay?

Wolfkrieg
01-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Sounds like a rewarding trip anyway! I'm sitting in a hotel room in PG, gotta stop at wholesale tomorrow then head on up! Where did you guys stay?

We stayed at The Lion Inn in Chetwynd.
Paid around $109.00 a night for 2 queen beds and kitchen.
Rooms were clean and newly renovated.

Caribou_lou
01-27-2017, 05:32 PM
Any success? I'm planning on heading up last week of the tag. I contacted the farmer who gave me permission last time and he hasn't had any elk on his land yet this winter. Might be stomping around crown land this time! Either way. Hunting in February is always nice

moosinaround
01-27-2017, 05:36 PM
I'm heading up feb 18 for three days. I'll report back, if I forget, PM me. Moosin

Caribou_lou
01-27-2017, 06:40 PM
Will do. Good luck!

Sitkaspruce
01-29-2017, 07:05 PM
Warm and very little snow right now!!

Came back from Slave Lake today and there is places where it looks more like late march/Early April. Ditches with standing water, open fields and a few small creeks already open and running!!

Have only seen elk on crown and in the timber.

Cheers

SS

Caribou_lou
02-18-2017, 09:43 PM
Any luck out there guys? We have a plan to hunt out of Hudson Hope. Have a couple areas to check out. Any suggestions much appreciated. Good luck up there Moosin!

ewok
02-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Any success? I'm planning on heading up last week of the tag. I contacted the farmer who gave me permission last time and he hasn't had any elk on his land yet this winter. Might be stomping around crown land this time! Either way. Hunting in February is always nice

I'll let you know what's happening. I'm heading up Feb. 10th for a week into the area. I am going in without any access to private land, so we'll be knocking on doors. That being said, if anyone knows someone in the 7-20a that is cool with having hunters on their property it would be much appreciated.

There's been a massive dump of snow this past week so fingers crossed for pushing the herds low.