PDA

View Full Version : Big agnes Q Core pad reviews

Rob
01-03-2017, 07:05 PM
Wondering if anyone one is running this pad and what your thoughts are on it. It is a bit heavier than other pads but looking to focus on a better nights sleep. I currently have the UL7 synmat which is okay bit looking for something thicker and hopefully more comfortable.

Cheers, Rob

ditch donkey
01-03-2017, 08:06 PM
I have been using this pad for two seasons now and its been great. it is slightly heavier than other options but i have had great sleeps. i have not used any others this was the first one i purchased a few years back but i have no plans to switch. when inflated it is approx 2" thick and is quite a bit thicker than my hunting partners thermarest. i picked this pad since comfort if worth the few extra ounces, a good sleep definatly helps keep me focused on living on the mountain. plus the extra tall option was a big feature for me

sako79
01-03-2017, 08:10 PM
I very used mine twice. So far really happy with it. I use it in conjunction with my big agnes storm king sleeping bag

With this setup the sleeping pad slides into a pocket on my sleeping bag and I can never roll off my pad very comfortable probably the best sleep I've had in the bush besides sleeping on a cot

Rob
01-03-2017, 08:37 PM
The slx is around 4" thick. Not cheap though!

sako79
01-03-2017, 09:02 PM
I bought mine at campsaver.

Chopper
01-03-2017, 09:56 PM
I have one ... i find my lower back stiffens up when sleeping on it. I wish it was a bit wider, having said that im still packing it, i havnt found a better option.

i might look into Robs post a bit more

NorthShoreX
01-03-2017, 10:10 PM
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5041-048/NeoAir-Xtherm-Max-Sleeping-Pad

This is what I use. Expensive but amazing.

Rob
01-03-2017, 10:14 PM
I have one ... i find my lower back stiffens up when sleeping on it. I wish it was a bit wider, having said that im still packing it, i havnt found a better option.

i might look into Robs post a bit more

They make them up to 25" in width which is what I would get.

knothead
01-03-2017, 10:19 PM
I also use the Thermarest neo air and it is phenomenal! The R value of this thing is 5.7, that is unbelievable for a air mattress. Keeping cold from seeping into your body from the ground is very important to a good nights sleep. I found it to be very comfortable and slept like a rock during my goat hunt this year.

Chopper
01-03-2017, 10:21 PM
They make them up to 25" in width which is what I would get.

Just looked ... its the one i have

sako79
01-03-2017, 10:28 PM
I also use the Thermarest neo air and it is phenomenal! The R value of this thing is 5.7, that is unbelievable for a air mattress. Keeping cold from seeping into your body from the ground is very important to a good nights sleep. I found it to be very comfortable and slept like a rock during my goat hunt this year.

Which model of neo air do u use

CSG
01-04-2017, 09:01 AM
i have had one for a year now, bought it after spending the 5 years prior sleeping thin light thermarest and couldn't take it anymore. For the amount of time you spend on in when in the backcountry its worth having a great one.

I absolutely love the thing.

I could tell you a ton of stories about how its served me well but the sleeps that always impress me are when I sleep in the back of my truck. I have a Defender with a flat plywood area in the back, I am a side sleeper and when I throw down the big agnes back there i don't feel the flat plywood on my hips at all. Its amazing.

Downside, it takes a lot of air to blow it up and you gotta pack it up a certain way to make it compress properly.

knothead
01-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Which model of neo air do u use

I use the X Therm Max in large, I'm 6' and weigh 205lbs so wanted the extra width. Compared to the price of some of my other kit I thought the cost was reasonable for a good nights sleep, weight is 1.4 lbs. for the large. I have slept a total of about 15 nights on it now and have zero complaints.

264mag
01-22-2018, 10:59 PM
Bump this up, is anyone using the exped down mats, I am a side sleeper, trying to find something comfortable.

Buck
01-22-2018, 11:24 PM
I use a Exped SYN mat secret for me being a sidesleeper is not to over inflate.

klondikemike
01-23-2018, 05:26 PM
I used the exped downmat 9 works excellent. You just have to get the air level where it works best for you. Little bit noisy though. Insulation level is the best I ever found so far.

SaintSix
01-25-2018, 09:06 AM
Pretty sure the Q core is the model I have, it’s yellow. Took it into the mountains last season with no complaints. Usually had to top off the air before the next day but I’m a heavy weight and that’s normal from all the ones I’ve had and tried. Also like mentioned if you find it to hard use less air find what works for you

Stresd
01-25-2018, 01:25 PM
Still can't beat the Neoair Xtherm. Mines about 6 years old now and still going strong. Here's link to rating/comparison of Neoair to the Q core

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-sleeping-pad

BlacktailStalker
06-28-2019, 11:33 PM
Good reviews.
Thermarest won’t warranty my slow leak Neo Air,
nothing like waking up with a rock embedded into your hips so was looking at the Exped9, I’m often a side sleeper too so a thicker we will go and not by thermarest.

Steelpulse
06-28-2019, 11:46 PM
Ya I got the big one I’m a big guy 6’2 225 and I love it. Sure it’s bigger heavier etc but I could sleep 12 hours on it undisturbed it’s great. I fact last deer I shot I hiked in slept till 11 then got up shot a 4pt and went home. Those early mornings are over rated haha need that beauty sleep away from home sometimes and these blow ups are like a king size bed haha

corywilson13
07-13-2019, 08:14 PM
Big Agnes has excellent customer service. Recently returned 2 pads over 10 years old that had slow leaks since the first year but never caused enough of a problem. Didn’t feel like laying on rocks this fall, so called them and sent the pads in for repair. 3 weeks later two new pads showed up! No questions asked, didn’t even have to supply receipt.