PDA

View Full Version : Pitt River Lodge for fly fishing weekend?

AgSilver
01-03-2017, 02:41 PM
Taking my pops on a weekend fishing trip and have heard good things about PRL. Tips on best time of year to go? We're both pretty new when it comes to river fly fishing....he's lake fished his whole life up in R8 and I'm fairly new to fly fishing generally, but loved it when I went out on the Skagit etc.

I hear cuts and bulls and good through Spring/early summer (probably when we'd like to go).

Any thoughts are welcome as it will be a mostly new experience for us.

Cheers

knothead
01-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Your best bet would be to call the owner there and ask him about best times, you probably want to hit the sea run bulls in the spring and it can be tricky timing it to hit the right water levels.

mastercaster
01-03-2017, 11:00 PM
Coho fishing can be stellar in the fall but it definitely cuts into the best time for hunting, as well. It's about the only system in the lower mainland that you'll catch coho (all wild) on the swing. Usually coho will only smack flies in frog water.

cyalatte
01-03-2017, 11:42 PM
Like Knothead mentioned above, timing the water levels can be tricky. I've been there for Fall Coho, we had insane fishing for 4 hours before a system came in and blew the river out which can happen very fast...scary fast. We also did the bulls in the spring but the conditions went the other way and it was bone low and everything was real spooky. If the conditions are good, it can be out of this world.

AgSilver
01-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info guys...sounds like fishing...never a guarantee, but when it's good it'll be great.

albravo2
01-04-2017, 12:36 PM
The owners are great. Call and chat and they will recommend a good time.

I think the only thing I'd avoid is freshet. That river holds a lot of fish and there are lots of migrations too.

No retention for any species, but that is the only downside.

Buckmaster
01-08-2017, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys...sounds like fishing...never a guarantee, but when it's good it'll be great.
We fish up there all the time and would not fish it any sooner than June 15th if its your one and only trip up there.
Great salmon fishing up there starting late July.

Ride Red
01-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Call Danny and he'll set you up with a good trip. I've fished it a few times on my own and it can be a blast. I've run my boat right to the hot springs at the second canyon which is an incredible run (especially in low water). One of the most scenic places in the valley.

f350ps
01-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Taking my pops on a weekend fishing trip and have heard good things about PRL. Tips on best time of year to go? We're both pretty new when it comes to river fly fishing....he's lake fished his whole life up in R8 and I'm fairly new to fly fishing generally, but loved it when I went out on the Skagit etc.

I hear cuts and bulls and good through Spring/early summer (probably when we'd like to go).

Any thoughts are welcome as it will be a mostly new experience for us.

Cheers
Sounds like a fun trip with your Dad, if he hunts why not try and have your fishing trip coinicide with Spring bear? K

BigfishCanada
01-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Owners are Anti Hunters, enough said, wont support a sell out that goes against our tradition

AgSilver
01-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the tips, gents. Went away for a few days and just catching up. Thanks again!

Sako 75
01-11-2017, 05:25 PM
Being fishing the upper Pitt river quite few times during early June. Awesome sea run bull trout fishing and some resident bull trouts too. A 4" white rabbit streamers works great if you fly fishing. Biggest sea run bull I got was around 8lbs there.

Haddy
01-15-2017, 05:18 AM
Save yourself some money and start with a day trip. The run across the lake is pretty scenic and having the versatility of the jetboat to move around is nice. The guys at M&Y in Surrey book guided trips up there that know the river as well as any of Dannys "guides" plus they're a bit more personable in my experience. Yos from Chromer Sportfishing books trips as well. If you don't have a lot of river fishing experience bulltrout season in June/July would probably be the best time as they're pretty aggressive when they're on. Have fun

ElectricDyck
01-15-2017, 08:40 AM
Owners are Anti Hunters, enough said, wont support a sell out that goes against our tradition

I would book a charter with someone else that heads up there, lots of good guys, as said the owner is in the media as anti hunting, anti jet boat and anti anything else than gets people into "HIS" river valley. Supporting him is supporting privatization of crown land.

BigfishCanada
01-15-2017, 10:38 AM
I would book a charter with someone else that heads up there, lots of good guys, as said the owner is in the media as anti hunting, anti jet boat and anti anything else than gets people into "HIS" river valley. Supporting him is supporting privatization of crown land.

Agreed tons of good guides that can accommodate, wont support a sell out and i wont give $1 to that place

DBM
01-16-2017, 09:24 PM
Ever see the sportsfishingbc episode when they were fishing with Pitt River Lodge? Danny was fishing with his spinning reel upside down! If I'm gonna use a guide it's gonna be somebody that eat, sleeps, and breathes fishing.

AgSilver
06-21-2017, 10:42 PM
Went up with Erik Skaaning and had a great time. Not a ton of fish as conditions weren't right for it, but what a great place and man does that guy know the river. Skipped the lodge altogether. This was a way better option.