PDA

View Full Version : Good Mid Range Spotting Scope

BC_Buck
01-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Figured this would be a good place to start some research into a spotting scope for myself. Looking for a good mid range spotter like the title says. Thinking price point of about $1500. Let me know what you guys use/have used and pros cons of spotters around that price point.

Thanks in advance.

decker9
01-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Iv been using a Pentax EDii 65, Iv compared it with the vortex viper and preferred the Pentax, but haven't compared to anything else in the same $$ field. Iv read that the wide angle eye piece adds complement to the Pentax as well. I'm not sure how Pentax warranty is tho.

untilthelastbeat
01-02-2017, 12:42 PM
I run the vortex viper hd 15-45 and it served me really well this year. while elk hunting in the koots I was able to glass sheep up in the alpine and goats across large valleys. Great clarity for the price point and a good size and weight. I wouldn't suggest buying anything lesser in quality than that. I started with the diamondback and it was a nightmare. Horrible quality glass and construction. After multiple times sending it in to vortex I made the upgrade.
Also if it's your first spotter don't cheap out on the Tripod or Tripod head. These two things will cripple your glassing experience if they are not quality products aswel

Lastcar
01-02-2017, 01:04 PM
Look for a used Vortex in the previous version. Should be able to find a decent deal and have money left over for a quality tripod.

I feel like you should be able to find last years Vortex Razor HD 65mm for around 1200 before too long. Maybe even new for that price.

Promaster XC525C tripod has impressed me in the 5 days I used it. Someone posted up a great deal out of shop in AB a few days ago. Unless of course you already have a good tripod.

Vortex Razor HD spotters are is only I have used. So it is all I know. Others can speak to other brands and I am sure some have tested them out side by side.

.264winmag
01-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60. Not the best glass but best $ per ounce/size for 40x I've looked through.

Kermodie
01-02-2017, 01:25 PM
I bought the Leupold GR 12-40x60 because of the size. It's the smallest scope of that optic quality that will easily fit in a day pack along with all my other stuff.

todbartell
01-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65

Useyourfeet
01-02-2017, 05:40 PM
You should be able to get last years vortex Razor brand new out of the states for that money.