PDA

View Full Version : Leaving gear in bush for latter hunt?

leadpillproductions
01-01-2017, 05:32 PM
Looking at doing a early spring/summer sheep scouting a spot out , thinking of leaving some gear for latter date hunt. What would you guys leave either in a bear proof container or in a waterproof bag . Leaving it tied in tree so bears shouldnt get to it . What type of gear would you your self leave ?

carnivore
01-01-2017, 05:40 PM
I would mostly be worried about 2-legged coyotes finding it. :smile:

leadpillproductions
01-01-2017, 05:49 PM
Hopefully hide it good enough lol , really should have many people in this area .
I would mostly be worried about 2-legged coyotes finding it. :smile:

srupp
01-01-2017, 06:03 PM
Hmmm only done this stash and cash once or twice..for 2 very different reasons.made getting out much faster and easier..and the gear was safe both times both times water proof bags tied high between trees..both times spring grizz..lol beat the bears out of bed..
But had to say..concerned with leaving gear out..
Used Cabelas dry bags.
Steven

Rob
01-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Anything that's heavy that your willing to lose I guess

MRP
01-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Lots of the old trappers used cream cans. Lids fit tight, with a little cotton rag or tarpaper the lids need to be pounded on and off with a axe. Seen them on the ground a rolled around a bit but never seen one a bear got into.

walks with deer
01-01-2017, 06:15 PM
//Beer lots of beer (http://Beer lots of beer)

bigredchev
01-01-2017, 06:30 PM
I'd use 5g buckets. Seal up nicely and take weight fine. Also easy to make it look like a tree with good camo

upnover
01-01-2017, 08:39 PM
Done this many times, and it makes a ton of sense. Done this for elk hunting especially because where we chase elk it is pack in only. Food in the non-smelly variety is what we cache. I mean freeze dried packets and freddy-chef ex military meals that give off no odour. Heavy shit like 6 extra rounds, and in certain sheep locales tons of water. Hope this helps lil blue pill productions.

leadpillproductions
01-01-2017, 09:20 PM
Thanks thats what i was thinking
Done this many times, and it makes a ton of sense. Done this for elk hunting especially because where we chase elk it is pack in only. Food in the non-smelly variety is what we cache. I mean freeze dried packets and freddy-chef ex military meals that give off no odour. Heavy shit like 6 extra rounds, and in certain sheep locales tons of water. Hope this helps lil blue pill productions.

sherpa-Al
01-01-2017, 09:46 PM
I left a couple of 1 lb propane canisters and a tarp in the alpine one year. Stashed them in a bit of a hole and then put a large pile of rocks on top to deter the critters. We returned the next year. Upon arriving at the stash site it looked as if a bomb had gone off. The rock pile was disassembled, the tarp was ripped to very small pieces and we found one propane canister with tooth puncture marks in it. This was our only heat source, no trees or wood without descending way down the mountain to start a fire with. No fly to keep our tent and gear dry. Dried meals do not work very well with cold water. No more stashing for me.

Al

high and to the right
01-01-2017, 10:56 PM
My friend left his quad 10 miles down a cutline in an area where you couldn't take an ATV before noon. He parked it in the bush off the cut. When he walked/hunted his way in and came to the quad the seat was missing. Nothing damaged or broken but there were quad tracks from the other side of the cutline. I guess his seat fit their quad.
I left 2 trail cams in the bush - bears got them both - I got a good picture of their teeth. lol

Bernie O
01-02-2017, 10:10 AM
What happened to "PACK IT IN PACK IT OUT". You guys sound like lazy slobs. This alone will give hunters a bad image.

tipper
01-02-2017, 10:19 AM
My friend left his quad 10 miles down a cutline in an area where you couldn't take an ATV before noon. He parked it in the bush off the cut. When he walked/hunted his way in and came to the quad the seat was missing. Nothing damaged or broken but there were quad tracks from the other side of the cutline. I guess his seat fit their quad.
I left 2 trail cams in the bush - bears got them both - I got a good picture of their teeth. lol

That's pathetic someone took the seat. Over the years I've had bears eat two quad seats and a buddys snowmobile seat that had to be helicoptered out in the spring.

Squamch
01-02-2017, 10:27 AM
What happened to "PACK IT IN PACK IT OUT". You guys sound like lazy slobs. This alone will give hunters a bad image.

Pretty sure he's not talking about leaking stuff permanently, rather a gear cache to return to later.

Backwoods
01-02-2017, 10:29 AM
I've never had to do this myself for sheep hunting or any backpack hunts yet, but I've came across it a few times, seen guys leaving tarps and rain gear under rocks etc but either the winds and sun slowly destroyed them and made a good pile of garbage in the bush or a bear was curious and pulled them out and ripped them, also have to think of hauling all your gear/ stash cans out of the mountains when your done in there, soooo if your packing out your sheep plus stash can make sure you can take it all out so your not leaving stuff behind in the mountains for someone els to haul out.. this is from experience, from what I found sheep hunting, guys leaving stash cans, tarps and rain gear, guess they were successful and could pack it all out!! It's sad to find a mess left in gods country!!

Backwoods
01-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Exactly! Just from experience what I've found! Guys will bring stash cans n tarps etc and shoot a sheep and can't haul it all out and then obviously to lazy or temps to hot and have to get the heck outta there so meat doesn't spoil or ruin their hide so gear gets left and neglected and then I find myself having to clean up after others in the mountains! Such a piss off.... train, bring the necessities, bring out everything you brought in. Not saying everyone does this or that you would leave gear but literally every mountain backpack hunt i seem to find gear/ garbage left.

leadpillproductions
01-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Taking same amount in and out just lighter loads in , instead of killing my self in and out lol . Lot easier to kill your self coming out with some bone on your back .
Pretty sure he's not talking about leaking stuff permanently, rather a gear cache to return to later.

decker9
01-02-2017, 11:31 AM
IME, Iv seen way to many garbage piles from people leaving stuff tied up in trees (wrapped in garbage bags). Birds to bears, will find it.

Me personally, I would never ever rely on a stash that I left for a future hunt, I can foresee a good chance of a big fail, but that's just me, I don't mind the extra weight with the reassurance that I have everything I need.

Squire
01-02-2017, 04:08 PM
I'd use 5g buckets. Seal up nicely and take weight fine. Also easy to make it look like a tree with good camo

The buckets also double as good camp seats. We've used five gallon buckets painted camouflage and strung between two trees on a pulley system. The suspension system was a reaction to bears getting to stuff pulled up one tree. We just kept tarps, extra fuel canisters, a water pot and other non-food, non-perishable items in them that added comforts but weren't deal breakers for the hunt. One time a bird pecked through the top of the lid and pulled at the tarp leaving it stuck up out of the top. Unfolded it looked like one of those paper snowflakes you cut in elementary school, a nice tight pattern of holes.

We used to take a combined stocking/scouting trip to our base camp a week or two ahead of opening day.

Max Ranger
01-03-2017, 12:38 PM
Our group used to set up camp in the same place every year. Last guys to leave would clean up and take apart everything we set up while there. In the bush
behind the meat pole-well out of sight- we would stash several metal bed frames and the old oil drum wood stove and stove pipes. Also our best tent poles
to save cutting new ones every year. Never left anything we couldn't afford to lose. I believe there's a fine line between "stashing" and littering. Our stuff was
never touched and was used over and over every year. I always hated to see the old tarps and other garbage left in camping spots by "slobs" when we used to have g.o.s. for moose in the Cariboo region. Unfortunately we still see a bit of it at some of the popular fishing lakes.

j270wsm
01-03-2017, 01:12 PM
Guy I used to work with would buy cheap 2man tents and sleeping bags when on sale at Canadian tire. He put them and other supplies in water proof containers, painted them and hid them in trees all over around Kimberly. Last time I talked to him about it, I think he said he had close to 20 stashed. Said some had been out for 3-4yrs and have never been damaged or tampered with

wideopenthrottle
01-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Guy I used to work with would buy cheap 2man tents and sleeping bags when on sale at Canadian tire. He put them and other supplies in water proof containers, painted them and hid them in trees all over around Kimberly. Last time I talked to him about it, I think he said he had close to 20 stashed. Said some had been out for 3-4yrs and have never been damaged or tampered with

sounds like he has an easter bunny complex....heheheh

J_T
01-03-2017, 01:47 PM
^^^ I think it's the nature of the East Kootenay. Gets a lot of bad press for the water for some reason, but the reality is, you can set up a camp, or leave supplies in the bush and people respect it and leave it alone. All my buds tell me they could never do what we do in the EK in terms of leaving things of value out there. Nice to see respect.

Ruffed
01-03-2017, 02:08 PM
I have a 55 gallon screw on lid container that I leave hidden near deer camp. I keep heavy things like propane stove, lanterns and stuff in there. It is water proof, bear proof and it works great. The only thing is that anything that you leave in there will smell like olives...It is however very large and very heavy. It works great for a base camp, but not for a spike camp...