PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru

monasheemountainman
01-01-2017, 03:08 PM
Thinking about ordering a kifaru Pack. anyone know how the tax thing works? in my shopping cart it doesn't add any tax to it? obviously this is because of where they are made, but somewhere along the line I imagine Ill have to pay some tax...anyone know how that works?

also who runs a kifaru pack? lots of good reviews online.

Rhyno
01-01-2017, 03:36 PM
You will get hit by tax and duties at the border, Canada Post collects if unless you go across the line to pick it up. In that case you would pay at the border.

Rhyno
01-01-2017, 03:37 PM
The only kirafu I have is the gun bearer, it's awesome!

Backwoods
01-01-2017, 03:48 PM
Not sure with kifaru, but when I purchased my Barneys it was shocking by the time it got to my house after our Canadian dollar, tax and duties, but after all am super impressed with the barneys Yukon pack and freighter frame. I know Clay Langcaster was talking about getting kifaru packs in Canada and was bugging Backcountry in FSJ to start carrying them but yet to see anything because they cannot sell them and make any money by the time they get them.

300rum700
01-01-2017, 03:55 PM
You'll pay tax when it's delivered

decker9
01-01-2017, 04:17 PM
when I ordered my pack 4-5 years ago, I never payed a duty, because everything was manufactured in the states I was told. There was a tax on it tho, I don't recall the amount.

Weatherby Fan
01-01-2017, 04:52 PM
US made products are duty free in most cases, but it's the brokerage fees and taxes that USPS OR UPS whollop a guy with so beware as in some cases you will pay double the price of your product when being shipped from the US to Canada, I've read many horror stories on HBC with this going on.
Its better to get a Package Express box in Sumas and deal with the taxes and duty if applicable yourself.

Rob
01-01-2017, 05:23 PM
I'll check my receipt

spear
01-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Bad news - you will get nailed at th border
Good news - if you speak with someone at kifaru they will likely give you a discount to negate the charges. Amazing customer service.

604redneck
01-01-2017, 05:38 PM
I have a mail box in the states bud. No problem grabbing it for you

Rob
01-01-2017, 05:45 PM
Sorry, no help. dont recall any surprises but it was two years ago and my memory isnt that great....

monasheemountainman
01-01-2017, 05:58 PM
I have a mail box in the states bud. No problem grabbing it for you
Say whaaaat

mod7rem
01-01-2017, 06:46 PM
When I order from the US I always try and get it shipped USPS. If it gets shipped UPS you will get hit hard by brokerage fees when you pick it up from UPS here, thats after you've already paid for the shipping. With USPS, they deliver it to customs, then Canada Post takes over on this side. No brokerage fees.

A couple years ago I orderd new mountain boots from Lathrop and Sons, when I ordered on the phone I told them to ship with USPS but they shipped it UPS because it was the same price. I got hit with an obscene brokerage fee, as expected, and I called Lathrop and Sons right away to let them know their mistake and explain why Canadian buyers request USPS. The guy had no idea we were getting nailed by these fees and he returned the amount of the brokerage fee to my CC.

Oh and I do own a 1st gen longhunter guide pack. I dont use it much anymore because I replaced it with a custom Mchale pack in 2010, but the kifaru is extremely well made and tough. I modified my other packs to continue using the gunbearer and will never be without one because theyre awesome:)

Carbonmatrix
01-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Not sure which one your after, but I have an EMR II and an AMR, both are awesome packs but between the 2 I prefer the AMR. The problem I find with the EMR II is it has too many buckles and it gets real wide and floppy. It can haul a ton of gear tho. Bit of a side note as I own all three, EMR II AMR and Stone glacier sky 7400. The sky 7400 is by far for me anyways better than the kifarus. The stone glacier compresses right away after you dump your camp and you don't have to screw around with it folding and manipulating the bag so it doesn't flop all over. It also feels a million times better on my back anyways. If you got any questions shoot me a pm.

SR80
01-02-2017, 09:46 AM
i believe you just pay the hst and a small handling fee to canada post. Great packs, bags and lid design are ok in my opinion, kind of a mess when not fully loaded with gear i found. Like carbon matrix said.

Rob
01-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Lol. I agree with the above. I use my DT 1 as my day pack evertime I hunt. You can play with the straps so the are tucked in though.

decker9
01-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Lol. I agree with the above. I use my DT 1 as my day pack evertime I hunt. You can play with the straps so the are tucked in though.

x2, hard to believe there's 9000ci when it's all compressed (with guide lid and pockets) Iv been using a cargo panel a lot lately, sure a nice thing. I'll be looking to build one of those new cargo net's soon, they look pretty slick too.

ljalberta
01-02-2017, 12:15 PM
I have made two orders from Kifaru in the past year, including one that was $800+USD. You'll never get charged duty on them as they're US made. I have never paid a handling fee to Canada Post (UPS is a different story, but Kifaru will ship USPS/Canada Post, so no worries there). I also was not charged tax on either order, however that is not 100% guaranteed every time. Sucky exchange rate, but still well-worth it in my books.

I'm running a Mountain Warrior right now, but will be picking up the new Reckoning bag at some point. Looks like the perfect design for me.

swampthing
01-02-2017, 05:32 PM
I ordered a kuiu pack last year this time and never had to pay duty on it. All my kuiu clothing got hit with duty.

SR80
01-03-2017, 07:54 AM
there is no duty on us made stuff, over seas stuff is when you pay duty..like kuiu

GetLethal
01-03-2017, 11:59 AM
there is no duty on us made stuff, over seas stuff is when you pay duty..like kuiu
This. Kifaru is all american should be no duty, same goes for MR.

BgBlkDg
01-03-2017, 12:05 PM
No, the MR packs are now all made in the Philipines, so should be dutiable.

Thunderstix
01-03-2017, 05:17 PM
You don't always get hit with the tax as Customs only pulls certain random packages.....at least it used to be this way, and I am quite certain it still is.

Pinewood
01-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Kifaru makes a nice pack, but do yourself a favour and check out EXO. You'll save a bit of cash and get an equal product in my opinion. Also American made so no duty. Good luck with whatever you get.

Drewtini
09-26-2017, 12:22 PM
Raising an old thread - I see you're also in the Okanagan. For U.S. purchases I use "Ship It to Us" in Oroville, setting up an account is free over the phone, and you pay a flat fee of $4USD/$5CAD cash per parcel, which they hold for 90 days. Awesome little setup. Hit up the tasty Mexican food while you're down there.

monasheemountainman
09-26-2017, 12:25 PM
deadly thanks pal, still havent ordered a pack yet so that helps.

decker9
09-26-2017, 04:57 PM
Heck of a deal in the EE right now.