PDA

View Full Version : Ques. about Hydatid in wolves/yotes

hparrott
12-31-2016, 09:31 PM
I just started reading about the Hydatid parasite that can be in yotes and wolves and other than wearing gloves while handling it, what care should be taken after removing the hide? If there is parasite larvae around the skin does it need to be frozen? Wouldn't want to bring a hide into my garage and infect my dog or myself etc.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-31-2016, 10:15 PM
A cyst could be anywhere potentially, yet the tape worms do appear to fortunately be a fairly rare occurrence and seem to focus on the digest tract and feces. Also muscle tissue and organs... So while the skin is an organ, I haven't heard of these cysts being there. One never can tell with certainty though.
With the usual care you describe, we should be good. Still likely a good idea to keep pets away from the carcass for safety. Heat and/or the tanning process is a better way to destroy parasites than freezing. If you believe you or an animal in your care has been infected, get a rX for something like mebendazole or whatever it is your Dr. suggests asap.

As with most infections and diseases, especially parasites - the mental effects of worry and stress are often the worst part. Hide handling is fine, more likely than not.

Stew
01-01-2017, 12:46 AM
Shoot'em with a 416, no need to worry bout parasites :-)

mooze
01-01-2017, 01:32 AM
you can infect yourself from dog feces and from burst (liver)-cysts. Otherwise difficult. Rubber gloves are always advisable when skinning predators. There is now E. multilocularis in BC to which can be nastier.

Cub Driver
01-01-2017, 09:31 AM
Visit the provincial website for information on wildlife health.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/environment/plants-animals-and-ecosystems/wildlife-wildlife-habitat/wildlife-health/wildlife-health-documents/safety_fieldguide2011_web.pdf

butthead
01-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Visit the provincial website for information on wildlife health.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/environment/plants-animals-and-ecosystems/wildlife-wildlife-habitat/wildlife-health/wildlife-health-documents/safety_fieldguide2011_web.pdf
thanks for posting that up very good info

Mosin
01-01-2017, 10:57 AM
Dont scratch ur butt or pick a wedgie after skinning an jnfected animal.

hparrott
01-01-2017, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the information guys. I was worried about bringing a hide into my garage and getting someone ill. Sounds like most cause for concern is within the carcass and not on the hide. Much appreciated.

Rhyno
01-01-2017, 03:44 PM
I was watching a trapper skin a wolf he caught recently...he was wearing a mask because of the parasites.

01-01-2017, 04:36 PM
I was watching a trapper skin a wolf he caught recently...he was wearing a mask because of the parasites.What the heckin??? This is hypochondria; maybe a mask fetish, perhaps this trapper has a super sensitive olfactory sense... Whatever it is certainly is not necessary. What parasites could a person get from a Wolf in BC that could be inhaled? To the best of my knowledge, it was just pin worms from places with lots of people and poor or no sanitation that were airborne. These are among the least harmful parasites known to mankind. The aforementioned rX would clear such up in hurry.

hparrott
01-01-2017, 06:11 PM
What the heckin??? This is hypochondria; maybe a mask fetish, perhaps this trapper has a super sensitive olfactory sense... Whatever it is certainly is not necessary. What parasites could a person get from a Wolf in BC that could be inhaled? To the best of my knowledge, it was just pin worms from places with lots of people and poor or no sanitation that were airborne. These are among the least harmful parasites known to mankind. The aforementioned rX would clear such up in hurry.

If you are confident you can't get it from inhaling it, next time you come across some wolf shit give it a kick or two lol.

Corb89
01-01-2017, 06:19 PM
on a couple of very stinky one's ive but vapour rub under my nose and a mask over top...but that was strictly cause of the smell.

01-02-2017, 05:15 PM
If you are confident you can't get it from inhaling it, next time you come across some wolf shit give it a kick or two lol.

WTF guy?! I like a clean boot. Furthermore, if I did this how could I ever complain about dog doo-doo on the sidewalk anymore?

LOL

01-02-2017, 05:18 PM
on a couple of very stinky one's ive but vapour rub under my nose and a mask over top...but that was strictly cause of the smell.

Oh yeah, pooch stink can offend the ol' olfactory no doubt! Makes sense.

Fisher-Dude
01-02-2017, 06:20 PM
Friend of mine got hydatid - likely from skinning a wolf.

He has lost the majority of his liver.

Not good.

01-03-2017, 06:13 AM
It does make sense that these filthy animals could get shit in their fur! But by washing hands and equipment thoroughly after cleaning game and hopefully using the disposable gloves properly we should be all good.

No need to not Hunt some species for fear of a disease. Whack 'em, stack 'em and take their pajamas off!

elknut
01-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Fisher Dude ...We must know the same fellow that lost the majority of his liver to Hydatid disease...Bloody scary !....Haven't found out if everything is ok since ....Fools that handle wolves without using common sense are playing with fire..This disease takes years to manifest itself in your body ...

Fisher-Dude
01-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Fisher Dude ...We must know the same fellow that lost the majority of his liver to Hydatid disease...Bloody scary !

Yep, it's the same guy.

I see he's been out ice fishing, so I'm hoping he's doing well.

elknut
01-05-2017, 03:36 PM
He had test results at the end of November ...Hope they came out good..Will have to phone him and have a chat...Take care!...Dennis

Pinewood
01-05-2017, 06:47 PM
It would be nice if you guys could share some more information about the gentleman who has had the liver issues. I believe he is a friend of my buddies Uncle from up near 100 mile. I heard about it this fall, very scary. We were definitely thinking about it while skinning out my Wolf.

elknut
01-06-2017, 12:17 PM
Yes the fellow is from 100 Mile House ....Retired from Forestry ....Hope this helps narrow your inquiry down ...Dennis

eastkoot
01-07-2017, 11:24 AM
My friend had contracted them some where and now has only half a liver. They can't explain where he contracted them but a good guess is from his dogs. Chemo therapy and half a liver is something you don't want to F with...Same guy!!

Wild one
01-07-2017, 12:18 PM
Yes precautions should be taken skining canines and some other species for that matter. It is good practice to wear gloves but I personally don't know many trappers who resort to a mask. The species I was told to take the most precaution with was actually raccoons. I know trappers who treat raccoon crap like toxic waste

hparrott
01-07-2017, 02:40 PM
I have never heard of anyone wearing a mask either. If you are opening the animal might not be a bad idea I guess. Not to retract from it being a good idea to wear gloves when skinning a wolf/coyote, what I was trying to get at in my original post was more about what to do after the hide is removed. I.e is there something that should be done with it now that it is off the animal to prevent the spread of Hydatid, should it have Hydatid the larvae can be in the hide. For example, if I'm not ready to tan it, can I toss it rolled up in my freezer where I keep my meat? Is the hide safe to store in the garage around pets until it is tanned etc. From earlier posts you can tell some people think Hydatids is just a joke but I'd rather take a simple measure or two ahead of time than be ill down the road. Doesn't take any time to throw on a pair of gloves etc.

Wild one
01-07-2017, 03:28 PM
I have bagged and sprayed coyotes with raid before skinning. I was told by another trapper to do this to avoid ticks and other pests

Good chance it would solve the issue. Only passing on how I was taught to deal with them right or wrong don't know but I do it

Skinned lots of furry critters with no issue so far knock on wood lol

Wild one
01-07-2017, 03:31 PM
I use the raid that is made with christhanimum (spelling is probably wrong)flower

eastkoot
01-08-2017, 08:26 AM
It's in their feces, so if your dog licks a turd then you let it lick your face, your at risk..

hparrott
01-08-2017, 09:17 AM
I use the raid that is made with christhanimum (spelling is probably wrong)flower

Great. Never thought of that! Thanks. Simple to do.