PDA

View Full Version : Pelican 60 sled

Walksalot
12-31-2016, 08:30 AM
CT had the Pelican 60 sled on sale so I bought one. I thought it would be useful to get an animal out of the bush when snow is on the ground. Would it serve any use full purpose to strap skis to the bottom for less friction or is it best just to leave as it is? I would also use it as an ice fishing sled.

Boner
12-31-2016, 09:06 AM
I'd leave it as is. They're kinda flimsy. Mine gets used as an ice fishing sled too. It has friction holes along the back/stern for lack of a better word, from dragging out a quartered bull moose. Skis wouldn't have helped in that situation anyways.

allan
12-31-2016, 09:31 AM
My friend has a similar size sled, but his has thin strips of uhmw screwed to the bottom. It makes a huge difference.
if you look at the big versions of the sled you bought at Canadian tire they have similar set up. I would add or exchange my sled for uhmw strips on the bottom.
We pull the kids toboggans down a snowy/sanded road with the quad at Sheridan lake. The cheep plastic sleds are pretty much done/finished in a couple hours the uhmw sled stil looks like new and slides like it's brand new.

Jagermeister
12-31-2016, 11:46 AM
I have the Snow Trek 75. It has the uhmw strips and it does make it easier to haul. I have hand towed a few times out onto the lake carrying a fairly large load. I do have it rigged to tow behind atv or snowmobile.
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r496/Leaveoff/misc011_zpsc61f52e0.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/Leaveoff/media/misc011_zpsc61f52e0.jpg.html)

albravo2
12-31-2016, 12:39 PM
Jager, do you have flexible or rigid tow lines?

I've always disliked using rope because the sled is always bumping into whatever is towing it.

Walksalot
12-31-2016, 01:17 PM
The tow lines are factory attached to the top of the sled. Won't this have a tendency to try and dig the sled into the snow as opposed to attaching it down lower to have more of a pulling effect?

Dannybuoy
12-31-2016, 02:02 PM
Jager, do you have flexible or rigid tow lines?

I've always disliked using rope because the sled is always bumping into whatever is towing it.

I have the same one as pictured by Jager .... I made rigid poles for towing with sled for the reason you stated .

Dannybuoy
12-31-2016, 02:05 PM
http://www.wintercampers.com/2012/12/21/removable-pulk-sled-poles/

Like this , But I used aluminum poles not pvc .

Jagermeister
12-31-2016, 03:38 PM
Looking at the picture of the sled, you see two white thingies going over the top of the sled. These are 2 pieces of 1" PVC pipe through which the rope passes. The rope is attached by means of a tight loop on each end and passed through 2 quick connect pins. The pins are also used to attach the ridged towing frame. The tubes keep the sled from contacting the back of your legs when going downhill. You can also see the uhmw strips on the front of the sled.

albravo2
12-31-2016, 03:47 PM
Right on, I see it now. First glance I wasn't sure if it was PVC or rope pulled tight.

That looks like a good solution.

Walksalot
12-31-2016, 04:07 PM
I never noticed the attachment points inside the front of the sled I just focused on the rope attachment points and ran on tunnel vision.
Thanks for all the input guys, it is muchly appreciated.

bcsteve
12-31-2016, 04:08 PM
The tow lines are factory attached to the top of the sled. Won't this have a tendency to try and dig the sled into the snow as opposed to attaching it down lower to have more of a pulling effect?
Not unless you're shorter than 6" tall! ;)

Sitkaspruce
12-31-2016, 08:51 PM
I tried the 75, but for me it was too big for what I needed it for. I like the 60 for pulling grain, blinds and other hunting and fishing stuff. It is also easy to pull deer out.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Hunt%20and%20fish%202013/IMGP0747_zpse42a80c6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Hunt%20fish%202014/IMGP1122_zps9e013efb.jpg

I just hook it up to my tree stand harness, which has a drag system in the back for dragging deer out and I can around with the sled in tow.

CT and Cabelas has them on sale off and on during the winter.

Cheers

SS

tipper
01-01-2017, 09:15 AM
My friend has a similar size sled, but his has thin strips of uhmw screwed to the bottom. It makes a huge difference.
if you look at the big versions of the sled you bought at Canadian tire they have similar set up. I would add or exchange my sled for uhmw strips on the bottom.
We pull the kids toboggans down a snowy/sanded road with the quad at Sheridan lake. The cheep plastic sleds are pretty much done/finished in a couple hours the uhmw sled stil looks like new and slides like it's brand new.

Where can you buy the uhmw strips?
The strips I had on my aluminum skimmer cracked and broke off.

Jagermeister
01-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Where can you buy the uhmw strips?
The strips I had on my aluminum skimmer cracked and broke off.Pelican sells them. Source their website for more info.

tipper
01-01-2017, 07:46 PM
Pelican sells them. Source their website for more info.
Thanks Jagei!

deepwater
01-09-2017, 02:36 PM
I have two what are called calf sleds, an heavy duty vinyl, one at least 6 years old, pick up at a livestock supply business, six feet long. One now equipped with solid tow bar to get away from those run over you or under the quad situations. They have hauled moose, deer, calves, dogs, and lots of firewood over sand/gravel damp grass and of course snow. With a couple hundred pounds behind an old 300, you don't know its there ....

BRvalley
01-09-2017, 03:38 PM
it will definitely help a lot to rig up a smitty sled with old skis if you are hand pulling your gear on the lake ice fishing, those uhmw strips don't help much with friction, they are mostly there to prevent wearing out the bottom of the sled

but if you're pulling your gear behind a machine it's a moot point, but would still help if you had a weak machine or bogging down in slush

BRvalley
01-09-2017, 03:42 PM

it won't "dig" the nose into the snow, but it will create a plow affect, not noticeable behind a quad/sled but you certainly notice the resistance hand pulling...I mounted my tow anchors lower, I find it helps to get the nose up and pull easier, rather than plowing through, kind of like pulling a manual on a snowboard lol

tigrr
01-10-2017, 08:10 AM
I put down hill ski's on my 60 and will put a set on my 45 as well. Makes for less friction and less wear when going over gravel. The sled gets pulled by me and pulled by my snowmobile. I countersunk the bolts in the ski's and covered the nuts inside. Find the widest ski's you can.

BRvalley
01-10-2017, 10:08 AM
here's my hand pulling rig for ice fishing, makes a huge difference getting the sled out of the snow

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o784/BRvalley/IMG_2973_zpsykih5gmv.jpg (http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/BRvalley/media/IMG_2973_zpsykih5gmv.jpg.html)

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o784/BRvalley/IMG_2987_zpsr3hdbynq.png (http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/BRvalley/media/IMG_2987_zpsr3hdbynq.png.html)

klondikemike
01-10-2017, 05:04 PM
When buying UHMW try to find the darkest colour, the pigment helps keep the damaging UV from going all the way through the plastic and turning it brittle.

Jagermeister
01-10-2017, 09:06 PM
here's my hand pulling rig for ice fishing, makes a huge difference getting the sled out of the snow

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o784/BRvalley/IMG_2973_zpsykih5gmv.jpg (http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/BRvalley/media/IMG_2973_zpsykih5gmv.jpg.html)

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o784/BRvalley/IMG_2987_zpsr3hdbynq.png (http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/BRvalley/media/IMG_2987_zpsr3hdbynq.png.html)
I don't agree with this type of setup. The load bearing is too concentrated on the skis causing the skis to cut deeper into the snow. This system also appears to be quite weak. Each ski has an two upper and lower attachment points. While the bottom attachment point appears to be quite solid with a threaded pipe flange, the upper attachment point seems to be the weak point. There is no cross attachment between the skis and although it is unlikely that they would cave inward there is the potential for the skis to splay out like a new born foal. I don't know what you have for weight in the sled, but I know that the sled would not sink as deep as the skis.
IMHO, that is a lot of needless work. I would not want to hand haul that across an area knee deep in snow.

tipper
01-11-2017, 08:59 AM
When buying UHMW try to find the darkest colour, the pigment helps keep the damaging UV from going all the way through the plastic and turning it brittle.

Damn it! Too late now haha

BRvalley
01-11-2017, 10:06 AM
I don't agree with this type of setup. The load bearing is too concentrated on the skis causing the skis to cut deeper into the snow. This system also appears to be quite weak. Each ski has an two upper and lower attachment points. While the bottom attachment point appears to be quite solid with a threaded pipe flange, the upper attachment point seems to be the weak point. There is no cross attachment between the skis and although it is unlikely that they would cave inward there is the potential for the skis to splay out like a new born foal. I don't know what you have for weight in the sled, but I know that the sled would not sink as deep as the skis.
IMHO, that is a lot of needless work. I would not want to hand haul that across an area knee deep in snow.

yes and no on those concerns....so yes, the obvious flaw, the legs have been cross braced since the photos, I just wanted to go fishing quickly that day I built and took those pics....but even still the sled itself is rigid enough that the 'splay out like a fawn' was very minimal before I braced the legs...I needed legs that removed quickly to fit under the tonneau cover, so yeah it could be built sturdier, but not really a problem as it sits now and much more convenient with disconnect pins

the sled on its own absolutely would not sink as low as the skis, but that's the problem, reducing the surface drag, ...I'd rather have skis pulling through the snow than dragging a 30" wide hunk of plastic on top......the uhmw only really protects from wearing out the bottom when pulling on hard ice surfaces imo...doesn't help too much with friction, all the extra ridges created by the uhmw strips just collect slush and snow and just creates more drag...I used to have to turn the sled over and chip the ice build up away

the snow in that pic is soft powder, they ride on top of harder snow no problem and the setup pulls straight, easy to steer

my power auger is 33 lbs, hut 34 lbs, fish finder is 10 lbs, big buddy heater, 10lb propane tank, rod case and tackle, camp chairs, beer, food....I'm close to 100 lbs for a full day

maybe my pics are deceiving until you actually pull it around, but I'd take a foot race across any lake with that sled for a case of beer ;)

Jagermeister
01-11-2017, 01:44 PM
"reducing the surface drag"
Taking the co-efficient of friction between snow and plastic, into consideration. There is virtually none so surface drag is a moot point. It comes down to load bearing surface and the dispersal of the load on that area. The skis have a small load bearing area and are going to sink deeper into the snow. The only time that one would not have to consider the previous statement is when there is no snow, just a ice surface, then all things being equal.
Forget the foot race, you are younger than I. As for load, comparable, hand auger, buddy heater and single burner collapsible camp stove, 2 one pound propane bottles, couple of folding chairs, fishing gear, fishing hut, snow scoop, no beer or alcohol (I leave the boozing to home).
If for some reason I would find that I had to mount skis, I would mount them to the bottom of the sled with 2" spacer blocks between sled and ski.
You fishing 10 Mile?

BRvalley
01-11-2017, 04:09 PM
"The skis have a small load bearing area and are going to sink deeper into the snow."

yes, that is true...but that is still much, much easier to pull vs dragging the sled around without skis, even though it doesn't sink as deep, there is still 10x the surface area dragging on the snow...not an engineer so won't pretend to have a technical understanding of the coefficient of friction between snow and plastic, I just know which setup pulls easier

I can't claim that design as my own, I just copied smitty sleds I've seen on iceshanty and other fishing forums, seems to be popular for a reason

yes, I fish 10mile fairly often, my hut should be easy to pick out with that sled lol

oldkoot
01-12-2017, 09:18 AM
There is the real deal one of these on Kijiji cranbrook .... snowmobile skimmmer. It is bomb proof....a liittle too heavy for hand pulling in some cases. On the flat it is wide enough to float and pull easy....uphill it would be just extra weight. I hauled a 300 lb. wood stove through several feet of powder behind snowmachine with this one ...no problem.

Walksalot
01-12-2017, 10:06 AM
Back from the ice fishing expedition and boy was it cold. Minus 29C at Monte lake. Here is the skinny on the set up I will use. I have elected not to put skis on my sled. I had my sled with no skis on it and my buddy had his with skis. On solid ice the ski has the advantage but we got on to a lake which had thick ice with water under a weak layer of frozen surface slush. My buddies sled kept breaking through the frozen slush, what a chore! My sled rode on top with no problem so based on that experience I will leave my sled unaltered. I will also install a couple of eye bolts on the lower attachment points and attach my rope to that. My son and his buddy devised a tow system for their sleds using a couple of fiberglass chimney cleaning rods which they attach to their packs. They utilize this system when they venture into the high country to do a few days of alpine skiing. Being fiberglass the rods will have less tendency to shatter in cold weather.