PDA

View Full Version : putting down a horse

primmed99
12-29-2016, 12:54 AM
Having a tough time doing it myself after 15 years, had to do a few of my dogs but for some reason this is a bit tougher. Any suggestions a vet isn't a option where I'm at.

Rod
12-29-2016, 12:58 AM
There is no easy way to do the deed, maybe a neighbor?

I feel for you dude! :-(

Mosin
12-29-2016, 01:03 AM
Im not an expert by any means and i feel for you. Do you have access to injectable pain killer for horses? Maybe a massive overdose. Better than getting a neighbir to shoot him/her. I dont know anything about the legality of this im just throwing it out there off the top of my head

boblly1
12-29-2016, 03:38 AM
the way had it explained to me is you needed a back hoe. Because the animal must be buried legal depth. Like i am saying 6 feet deep or by today's metric standards 2 metre`s and that is almost an impossible dig by hand

ncurrie
12-29-2016, 07:24 AM
Last April I had to put down my mare that I rescued. We had to administer 3 shots of anesthetics in her before we could get her to lay down, when I got her to lay down I said quick get him out and we performed the emergency c section. The vet tech and I worked on the foal. Apparently the vet had to cut a whole in Annie's side to get the sodium pentobarbital straight into her heart as it wasn't working fast enough in her veins. Because of the euthanasia we had to bury her 6ft down as that's the legal requirement to make sure other animals don't dig down and get at it. If they eat the animal, they too will die from the sodium pentobarbital. There is no easy way of doing it, but my vet always say to do it square between to eyes to make it quick. I wouldn't be able to do it either, so hopefully you have a neighbor that can. So sorry that you have to go through this.

Corb89
12-29-2016, 07:26 AM
ive done several. and yes its a little hard to watch...but it was never about me or how i felt..it was just what needed to be done. when a horse has a broken leg..you dont stand around wondering how this is going to make you or the family feel..its not fair to the horse

Stone Sheep Steve
12-29-2016, 07:48 AM
I know a couple guys who help each other out. One takes care of the other's and vice versa.

They just take them for a walk into the bush where it doesn't bother anyone. Might not be legal anymore but it just makes sense.

Whack some coyotes.

SSS

Dannybuoy
12-29-2016, 08:01 AM
I know a couple guys who help each other out. One takes care of the other's and vice versa.

They just take them for a walk into the bush where it doesn't bother anyone. Might not be legal anymore but it just makes sense.

Whack some coyotes.

SSS

I was going to suggest this as well

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-29-2016, 09:55 AM
You (or friend and I will tell you as someone who has killed an animal for a friend, it is quite the favor!) needs to destroy the brain stem. If using an edged tool for the killing, severing the spinal chord between the 2nd and 3rd vertebrae causes all vital function to cease. Can't recommend chemicals, seems WAY nastier to me.

Best of luck with this, sorry for your loss. Always a shame to see a good animal go! I even feel the same when taking game. Of course, it's better to be killed humanely by the hand of a Human than to die via the terrible alternatives.

Clint_S
12-29-2016, 09:56 AM
Like the OP i've had to put down more than my share of dogs over the years and it is never easy and am facing the same with my old mare.
I think it's the big eyes at head level that just make it seem like a harder thing to get your head around.
Please don't shoot your horse right between the eyes but make an x from ears to eyes. If you look at a horse skull the brain case is very high up on the skull similar to a moose or elk.
I think it comes to a choice of "this is something I am obligated to do for my horse" or "this is something that someone else will have to do for me".

horshur
12-29-2016, 09:59 AM
Horse has a small brain shoot it behind the ear. Vets used too with 22 bolt by Drawing straight line from each ear to opposite eye where the lines cross at high forehead shoot there. google diagram if unsure . I have heard a few horror stories of well meaning friends and owners totally bungling this.....you don't want that to happen. Behind the ear with a larger caliber gun probably easiest less room for error and no suffering.

Gateholio
12-29-2016, 10:21 AM
I agree with Horshur. Behind the ear, something bigger than a 22. And when it drops don't hesitate to do a fast follow up brain shot.

Everett
12-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Get your hands on a bolt gun an right between the ears.

tomahawk
12-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Put our mare down years back, good neighbours put her to rest and dug a hole at the back of there property. Try and find someone to help.

horse280
12-29-2016, 11:03 AM
Had to put our Olly down 2 years ago I used my 444 marlin with 265 flat base from side 3 meters just low behind the ear flipped him on his back 1 shudder and done stone dead forever I had a bucket of grain on the ground so when he brought his head up and was chewing that's when I took him don't shoot him with his head low! wait till he picks it up Yup I cried but since I buried him on my own dirt I do not want the poison in my ground and yeah I have a Backhoe 10 ft minimum Horsee

compton
12-29-2016, 12:26 PM
It sucks putting down animals that you care for, I find the best way to put down my livestock is to shoot them with my 303 between the ears. Usually a bucket of grain or apples gets the head down. For sheep I'll use a 22 but for boars, cattle and horses I prefer to go bigger. Get a buddy to do it if you can't, it sucks but I think it's faster and cheaper then the vet.

chilcotin hillbilly
12-29-2016, 01:02 PM
Like the OP i've had to put down more than my share of dogs over the years and it is never easy and am facing the same with my old mare.
I think it's the big eyes at head level that just make it seem like a harder thing to get your head around.
Please don't shoot your horse right between the eyes but make an x from ears to eyes. If you look at a horse skull the brain case is very high up on the skull similar to a moose or elk.
I think it comes to a choice of "this is something I am obligated to do for my horse" or "this is something that someone else will have to do for me".

Listen to Clint, I have done a pile of this,do not shoot between the eyes!
Horses make great wolf bait, your fine stead would be happy to know she is getting one more good use out of her.

35rem
12-31-2016, 05:57 PM
First: there are no over the counter painkillers available that in any dose will lead to a humane euthanasia of a horse. Barbiturates are commonly used, but are a controlled substance and can only be administered by a veterinarian. Animals that have been euthanized with these drugs need to be buried or rendered in such a way that no other animal can eat the carcass. The proper place to shoot is NOT at the intersection of lines drawn from ear to opposite eye, but +/- 1" (20 mm) above it.

Here is link to a study that concluded that .22 hollow points (CCI Velocitor) are an effective way of putting a horse down. Do note that all animals were bled after the shot as the study was done in a commercial slaughterhouse:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0309174015300346

Hayshed
12-31-2016, 07:13 PM

After 25 years of roping I've had a lot of great horses, seen a lot of bad situations. But the worst is putting down your own horse.its extremely hard to do but you do have to cowboy up.i think the best way is to make a X from ear to eye. Worked for me every time. I've had to put a few of my own down, and helped some friends.its a shitty part of owning pets....I feel for you, but in the end it's the right thing to do

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-31-2016, 07:58 PM
Hayshed, that's how it is. Never heard it put better.

bearvalley
12-31-2016, 08:04 PM
Here's a bit of advice....do the horse a favour and use a big gun.
Errors can be made when using a .22 and who wants to cut a stunned, still alive horses throat.
I use my open site 45/70 and they're done instantly.
Its a shitty job.

primmed99
12-31-2016, 08:38 PM
All done, thanks guys wasnt fun but had to happen

sawmill
01-04-2017, 12:05 PM

This ^^^^ An x between the eyes and ears, same as cattle or pigs. Tie the head tight to something, grit your teeth and bang. All over. Don`t listen to No Choke, " an edged weapon between the third and forth vertebrae" Christ, what does he use? A sword or a Viking axe?
It sucks but I kill my own snakes, don`t want any body else feeling bad.

Gr8 white hunter
01-05-2017, 07:42 AM
Pay the money and call in a veterinarian and do it right.