PDA

View Full Version : 12ga loads for wolves??

Corb89
12-28-2016, 08:49 PM
First i'll start by saying im not a "shotgun guy" never have been, so please excuse my ignorance.
im finding im having better luck and more encounters in the thick timber than i am in the open. and i really don't know where to start as far as a 2 3/4'' 12 ga load, and can i expect good results out to 50 yards?

12-28-2016, 08:58 PM
I hope your being serious about wacking wolves, taking them out with a 12gauge, and if you are, what are you shooting SSG or Slugs. That's close range to be in on wolves, if so, I tip my hat to you.

If if only using a 2 3/4 ...... I wouldn't use any thing less then 00 or 000 buck ....... To 50 yards maybe. But slugs you might be able to stretch out there depending on your gun and shell selection.
What you need to do is pattern your gun with what ever your shooting, find out where it's hitting paper. Be sure to patern it ...... I learned the hard way but didn't know any better.

good luck to you. Post pics if ya wack any. It would be a huge hit here.

squamishhunter
12-28-2016, 09:01 PM
Slugs. 3" magnum. Rifled or non, depends on your gun.

Ohwildwon
12-28-2016, 09:01 PM
Three chances if you get that close with a shot gun.

1 being a crack shot with a regular slug..

2 being a scope fitted rifled barrel with a sabot slug..

3 being Federal Premium 00 Buckshot with FLIGHTCONTROL WAD...

3 being hard to find, Bass pro had it when they first opened, helped clean the shelves for hunting deer on Galiano Island..:wink:

Corb89
12-28-2016, 09:04 PM
I hope your being serious about wacking wolves, taking them out with a 12gauge, and if you are, what are you shooting SSG or Slugs. That's close range to be in on wolves, if so, I tip my hat to you.

If if only using a 2 3/4 ...... I wouldn't use any thing less then 00 or 000 buck ....... To 50 yards maybe. But slugs you might be able to stretch out there depending on your gun and shell selection.
What you need to do is pattern your gun with what ever your shooting, find out where it's hitting paper. Be sure to patern it ...... I learned the hard way but didn't know any better.

good luck to you. Post pics if ya wack any. It would be a huge hit here.
seen six today. and i felt like i could have gotton something accoplished if i had a scattergun..unusual for me to feel that way..i damn sure wont go without my rifle..i just figured i could pretend to be Les Johnsen

albravo2
12-28-2016, 09:28 PM
I think 00 Buck is the ticket. Plenty of knock-down power and a bit of a spray pattern.

A slug is no different than a rifle-- one projectile. Worse in terms of accuracy.

Mosin
12-28-2016, 09:32 PM
You say your not a shotgun guy so why not go with a 303 iron sights?

180grainer
12-28-2016, 09:57 PM
If you think you can use slugs then I'd suggest you use a rifle with iron sights. 00 or 000 loads would be what I'd go with with a full choke and a flight control wad if you're anticipating hitting moving targets in dense bush. My 2 Cents.......

srupp
12-28-2016, 11:01 PM
Hey Corb. ...give em hell..!..always liked the slugs..used so many models..but so seldom..over the years..havnt had that many close encounters..that would have worked out well..so far only the 3 wolves this year but all were at 200 yards is. .
Coffee is on next time in town..
Cheers
Srupp

12-28-2016, 11:02 PM
Way to go Steven. Post some pics of them bad dogs

boxhitch
12-29-2016, 01:36 AM
12 ga buckshot 00 or 000 in lead or steel should do it. Test the pattern at your distances to see what pellets are on target and what spread you get.

Corb, sounds like a perfect opp for a combo gun, with rifle and 12 or 20 ga shot
CZ Brno or Savage or USSG

The tricky part about taking snap shots in the brush is making a good kill shot and not just teaching a lesson.

Singleshotneeded
12-29-2016, 02:33 AM
First i'll start by saying im not a "shotgun guy" never have been, so please excuse my ignorance.
im finding im having better luck and more encounters in the thick timber than i am in the open. and i really don't know where to start as far as a 2 3/4'' 12 ga load, and can i expect good results out to 50 yards?

00 Buckshot is the natural buckshot size for 12 gauge, you'll get more pellets per shell than with 000. If 3" shells don't bother you, you'll get a few more pellets with them. Use quality copper plated buckshot like Federal Premium or Brenneke. Finally, use a full choke...and good luck.

Corb89
12-29-2016, 07:30 AM
thanks guys...i dont think i will bother with slugs at this time..i was really more talking about hitting a moving animal in the brush.(optimistic..i know)
i believe il try 00 buck

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-29-2016, 08:54 AM
Lots of strange stuff here man!

I am a shotgun guy, passionately so. I will let you know that you need to make sure your gun fits you so that you hit where you are looking. For starters you can try picking a spot on the wall, closing your eyes and shouldering your gun. When you open them are you looking along the barrel/rib (sighting plane) directly at the spot or is something off? Off means seeing tons of rib (staring down at the sighting plain as opposed to the target) or staring into the back of the receiver? Any weird crap as such means you have a gun fit issue and are liable to miss/wound.

2 3/4 inch is fine, yet try whatever your gun will take. Before attempting to shoot animals or whatever that's alive, make sure you spend some time at the range patterning your gun. If you don't know how to do this, there are plenty of good resources available online for a more detailed description than I'll provide here. The quick and easy way is to set a piece of paper up at twenty yards or less for starters. Then you go ahead and dump the few rounds in the gun into the target (the same target). This shows you your Point of Impact relative to Point of aim. Then you gradually take the paper farther and farther away (using a fresh sheet each time or something like a sticker or masking tape to cover the holes from previous shots) until your own personal sense of ethics tells you that your pattern is unacceptable for taking game at whatever range. Inside of such is your personal maximum range. Try as many load/gun/constriction combinations as you can to find out what works best for you.

As per shot size, unfortunately BC is very strange with the regulations. When using any shot (ammunition that is manufactured so as to contain 8 or more projectiles) you must have a magazine limiter so the gun will not hold more than three shells. This REALLY sucks for Wolves in NBL areas since they're pack beasties. Furthermore, you must use a shot size of #1 buck or larger. You are not likely to find letter named buckshot sizes in Canada/NA. See if you can find some #1 Buckshot and try 00 and 000 too. #1 is approximate .30. 0 = .31, 00 = .33, 000 = .36, 0000 = .38 (aka 9mm. It is possible to fit 8 of these in a 3", 12G hull!). I doubt you will find anything else other than 00 and 000, sometimes #1 (which can usually be ordered from ammosupply.ca out of Calgary if you can't find any locally) in stores here and seeing as how you are not a shotgun guy, I sincerely doubt you handload shotshell or have interest in doing so and as such, the 0000 and whatever else is out. I would ordinarily recommend #4 buckshot for Predators but BC is like nah to that.

Happy Hunting and best of luck!

adriaticum
12-29-2016, 09:12 AM
You can rip a wolf to shreds with Brenneke slugs at 200 yards. And any rifled slug really.
Just practice and know where to hold over.

BgBlkDg
12-29-2016, 09:21 AM
Really, have YOU actually done this?

I shoot Brennekes, in my very accurate, custom Merkel drilling, 12x12x9.3-74r, my two Benelli pump guns and have shot them in a few other guns as well.

I have sometimes attained 4-5" groups from them in smoothbore tubes at 100M and would never use one further than 50 yds. at most.

200??? Well, you must be a superhuman shot, eh........

adriaticum
12-29-2016, 10:18 AM

I shoot Brennekes, in my very accurate, custom Merkel drilling, 12x12x9.3-74r, my two Benelli pump guns and have shot them in a few other guns as well.

I have sometimes attained 4-5" groups from them in smoothbore tubes at 100M and would never use one further than 50 yds. at most.

I am super human.

But that's beside the point. I can shoot 1 x 1 plywood all day long from 100 yards and slugs don't even notice it. At 200 they would punch through just as well.
They will punch through I'm sure even though i have not done it myself.
Accuracy is the only issue.

Dannybuoy
12-29-2016, 10:48 AM
I am super human.

Ha ha ha ....:grin:

Drillbit
12-29-2016, 10:53 AM
I'd go with the biggest buckshot you can find.

I shot 2 wolves, geese hunting on the Fraser a few years ago. Had 3.5" Steel T shot in my gun and a Modified choke. Worked good @ 50 yards.

A Burris Fastfire on a 30-30 is nice too.
Or a red dot on Mini 14

12-29-2016, 11:02 AM
I am super human.

But that's beside the point. I can shoot 1 x 1 plywood all day long from 100 yards and slugs don't even notice it. At 200 they would punch through just as well.

What the heckin??? Surely you are putting a bamboozlin' on us! lolz Good one.

None the less Corb89 has stated that he is looking for a short range brush/thick cover load for small/thin skinned big game... Which is an area wherein buckshot has no equal!

There is a youtube video wherein a guy shoots slugs (regular rifled winchesters as in the walmart special variety) at around 300 yards and hits just fine with them. It's hilarious, google that shit! Slugs can be WAY more accurate than they get credit for. Often times the lack of accuracy is shooter error. They are the type of thing that can cause flinching issues.

That said I do not encourage the shooting of game at unreasonable/unethical ranges blah blah blah etc you know it.

12-29-2016, 11:09 AM
I'd go with the biggest buckshot you can find.

I shot 2 wolves, geese hunting on the Fraser a few years ago. Had 3.5" Steel T shot in my gun and a Modified choke. Worked good @ 50 yards.

A Burris Fastfire on a 30-30 is nice too.
Or a red dot on Mini 14

I wouldn't post that online, seeing as how it is a wildlife act hunting regulations violation and all. May be getting a ticket in the mail from CO's! lolz

Why go huge? Here you used a projectile made of inferior (re:low density) material that was approximately .20" diameter to great effect, which is slightly smaller and way less dense (weighs less and performs worse than lead of the same size, let alone larger) than the also illegal in BC for Wolves lead #4 buck which comes in at right around .24". 50 yards (if legit actual yards not midget paces) is far out for a shotgun with shot.

Again, here is another that may well be bamboozlin'! Like I said, lots of weird stuff on this thread.

BgBlkDg
12-29-2016, 12:35 PM
I am super human.

Well, I often forget how many "egspurts" we have on HBC, but, you are contradicting your initial comment although that is hardly surprising.

Yes, a Brenneke, will penetrate wooden panels and some boards, etc, at 100M and further, BUT, it will only punch a small hole through and on a soft animal such as a wolf, will do much the same. Consequently, it WILL NOT "shred" as you stated and your claim is ludicrous.

Now, I can no longer shoot as I used to be able to, but, where your comment and that of "Lord" whatisnutz is concerned, I will gladly bring my two .375H&H rifles, my three 12 bores with slugs, a couple of my 9.3s and 2-3 of my .338WM rifles to Mission, all with max-loaded heavy bullets and we can all shoot these and then SEE what transpires.

Slugs, are of very limited utility in BC hunting and we/I ONLY used them when students who did not have and could not afford serious rifles, while working in bear country. I would try to never shoot anything beyond 25M with a slug and would suggest you actually DO what you talk about.

adriaticum
12-29-2016, 01:11 PM
Well, I often forget how many "egspurts" we have on HBC, but, you are contradicting your initial comment although that is hardly surprising.

Yes, a Brenneke, will penetrate wooden panels and some boards, etc, at 100M and further, BUT, it will only punch a small hole through and on a soft animal such as a wolf, will do much the same. Consequently, it WILL NOT "shred" as you stated and your claim is ludicrous.

Now, I can no longer shoot as I used to be able to, but, where your comment and that of "Lord" whatisnutz is concerned, I will gladly bring my two .375H&H rifles, my three 12 bores with slugs, a couple of my 9.3s and 2-3 of my .338WM rifles to Mission, all with max-loaded heavy bullets and we can all shoot these and then SEE what transpires.

Slugs, are of very limited utility in BC hunting and we/I ONLY used them when students who did not have and could not afford serious rifles, while working in bear country. I would try to never shoot anything beyond 25M with a slug and would suggest you actually DO what you talk about.

Lol, you go on living under the impression that slugs are no good after 25 yards.
That's funny.
Maybe you should update your 18th century knowledge. There have been many new developments since then.

Dannybuoy
12-29-2016, 01:17 PM
Lol, you go on living under the impression that slugs are no good after 25 yards.
That's funny.
Maybe you should update your 18th century knowledge. There have been many new developments since then.

I haven't met either of you but my money would have to be on BgBlkDg 's advise based on experience ... I cant believe you aren't taking him up on his offer
I would love to see your marksmanship in action with slugs

BgBlkDg
12-29-2016, 01:19 PM
You, are a foreigner and have very little actual experience here in my country. You make highly offensive remarks as in a few months ago, slagging the contribution to victory in both World Wars, of Commonwealth Forces.

You need to learn that you obviously cannot read or comprehend simple English and I also notice that you ran to Canada, for haven when your native land, Serbia, had another of it's continual slaughterfests.......typical.

If, you would like to take my offer to shoot I will be most happy to oblige and I will bring all the ammo.

That said, you are so full of pretence and posturing that only another foreigner would believe you.

adriaticum
12-29-2016, 01:26 PM
I haven't met either of you but my money would have to be on BgBlkDg 's advise based on experience ... I cant believe you aren't taking him up on his offer
I would love to see your marksmanship in action with slugs

To prove what? The only real proof would be to shoot a wolf at 200 yards with a slug.

180grainer
12-29-2016, 01:34 PM

It can be done. But common sense says if you're going to anticipate shooting wolves at that distance, you wouldn't choose a shotgun. https://youtu.be/nNTyCcip-ks

adriaticum
12-29-2016, 01:37 PM
You, are a foreigner and have very little actual experience here in my country. You make highly offensive remarks as in a few months ago, slagging the contribution to victory in both World Wars, of Commonwealth Forces.

You need to learn that you obviously cannot read or comprehend simple English and I also notice that you ran to Canada, for haven when your native land, Serbia, had another of it's continual slaughterfests.......typical.

If, you would like to take my offer to shoot I will be most happy to oblige and I will bring all the ammo.

That said, you are so full of pretence and posturing that only another foreigner would believe you.

Lol, ok pink dingo calm your tits

Salty
12-29-2016, 01:55 PM

First off good for you to pose the question especially being that you have no shot gun experience. A lot of inexperienced people think that shot guns have a huge spread and one of the pellets otta hit the animal and kill it so its a good choice. Not so. You might kill a duck with one pellet but even one buck shot pellet is probably going to only wound a wolf.

The reality is with bigger game including wolf you need to hit a kill zone with most of the pellets. And the spread of buck shot powerful enough to kill a wolf isn't going to be a lot bigger than a kill zone. The reality is you don't have a much better chance at a running shot with a shot gun with buck shot as you do with a rifle. How ever you decide make sure you practice some fast snap shots at 50 to a hundred yards off hand to make sure you're up for the job. fwiw if I planned on shooting running game in the bush (which I don't) I'd pick my 30-30 only because I can shoot it better off hand than the others. I wouldn't consider a shot gun.

Linksman313
12-29-2016, 02:24 PM
Hey Corb89, wondering if you're old enough to remember cut shot shells, process my Gramps used to do to get 20yds extra distance/accuracy out of paper shells back in the day (keeps shot together longer in a clump). He used them to shoot coyotes back on the farm and they worked really well. We tried the same method a couple of years back with some cheapo lead in the bush and it still works on plastic shells. There was a link on an old thread about it here I wish I could remember where. Just an idea instead of spending a fortune on those 200 yd recoiless rifle slugs Adriatic is selling you on (JJ Adriatic would love to see some footage of those 200 yd groups, I haven't pushed our slug setup (scoped R870) much past 70yds here on the farm but now that I know its possible I will give it a try)

12-29-2016, 03:08 PM
Hey hey what's happenin,

"lord"whathisnutz says -

Comments about "foreign" and inane, irrelevant references other threads and nonsense wtf? This is just a total derail and bs way to stink up an awesome thread with the all too typical and common BC hate for the smoothbores.

*retracted aspect, too rude*

*ditto* here the 300 yard attempts video, quite entertaining - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaQnaRW6brU

*likewise*

Slug Hunting is interesting to me as is Hunting with Buckshot. If you don't like the topic get off the thread.

*silly and rediculous butt I'll leave this bit anyway - full comments and retracted portions available to interested parties in qoute below*
I have gone out of my way to try to be nice to your archaic ass on this site before and all you ever do is disrespect and whine about how no one else is old as you? No one has lived or has any experience? Well Naoh and Moses died eventually, sorry your friends are gone! Bet you really miss the T-rex.

Dang po'd the kid for a sec there, tell ya what! Like buddy said, chill mang!

LOLZ

ajr5406
12-29-2016, 03:20 PM
Not sure why this got racist, but anyway - why not shoot with a rifle??? Wouldn't that be more effective?

Dannybuoy
12-29-2016, 03:24 PM
Not sure why this got racist, but anyway - why not shoot with a rifle??? Wouldn't that be more effective?
I think this started out as a question , see post #1 ,

12-29-2016, 03:45 PM

Buckshot's specialty is killing smaller big game (say under 300 pounds, large Human size or smaller animals) in thick cover and/or while running/moving about at close range (such as when Hunting with Dogs or in this case - Hunting of Wolves in thick cover). If you want to use a rifle, do it. However the assumption that single projectile is always better is not always the case. The only time a rifle has the edge is in long distance shooting. It is much easier for most people to hit with it way out there than it is to pick up a moving, close range target and make a decisive, effective hit. Especially so if said rifle is scoped! I am not ancient and have phenomenal eyesight and even I have experienced it being much harder to pick up a close range target in thick cover with such equipment. Shotgun reigns supreme here, in my estimation.

Other than that, Shotguns are interesting and worthwhile in their own right. There is nothing wrong with giving something new a try!

I don't hate rifles but "core" course and old *******s in BC sure have stunk up the Shotguns' rep in BC! Elsewhere I have never experienced such hate for this equipment as I do when reading the regs and talking to SOME people in BC.

12-29-2016, 03:47 PM
I think this started out as a question , see post #1 ,

+1

Darn tooting Sir! Back on track.

wicket
12-29-2016, 04:50 PM
assuming its legal after reading the post about the number 1 buck....id go with 4 buck. Tremendous load, back here in onterrible in a shotgun only area Ive shot lots of buckshot and find pellet count limiting with the 00 size. i believe 9 pellets in a 2 3/4 inch shell, on a wolf id go for more hits with the 4buck rather than the potential of 1 pellet in the back leg with the 00 buck. I dont think I am articulating my point very well here via typing. slugs are great with the right set up ...rifled barrel, scope, practice ect. When I used to have hounds and run coyotes 4 buck did the trick. ps i know coyotes are smaller than wolves ect..... again typing on the internet vs having a beer in person talking it over = a big difference.

regardless good luck and be safe
Wicket

BgBlkDg
12-29-2016, 04:59 PM
I do not have the experience with shotguns that I do with rifles, due to the circumstances where I was born, raised and went to work in the BCFS, in the Kootenays, but, I do have some and it is as follows.

My shotgun collection contained, when I began to sell my 150+ guns several years ago, a British boxlock 12 bore, made by William Powell & Son, in Birmingham, at the "Corn St." address. The piece was nicely balanced as with most Brit. guns, but, the QC was mediocre, by my standards.

I had with this an AYA Mod.25 sidelock in 20, too whippy for me, but, some like these. I also had a Browning BSS Sidelock, 20 ga.-28", lovely little piece. With these, I had my Merkel drilling and my Browing Mod 7500 o/u-12x.308W. and a 1956 Superposed 3" Maggie, as well as a Mod. 12-20 bore and several other pumps and autoloaders, including two Belgian Brownings.

So, I have some experience to base my opinions on and having witnessed the use of 12 ga. slugs on deer and several Black Bears, some while working for BCF&W, I was/am NOT impressed. I recognize that there are specialist shotguns that use rifled barrels and specific slugs as in eastern US Whitetail hunting, but, these are as cumbersome and heavy as most bolt action big game rifles.

So, while I would NOT choose a slug for any such shooting past 25 yds. as I posted, and they can be effective at longer ranges, BUT, not to the same effect as a rifle bullet, I do use Brennekes in my Benelli Super Nova, 14" "entry gun" for inside my Hilleberg when sleeping alone in the bush.

Given, that I am no longer employed, apparently I am too elderly and thus incapable in the bush, although I still get asked back to wilderness work, I cannot carry my .44M handgun, so, sold it and went with the best legal option, the BSN 14"er.

Funny, in nearly 60 years of BC shooting, I have never experienced any discrimination here against shotguns, but, I guess we "old" guys don't really know much......do still shoot tho' and am always willing to allow others, strangers, even, to come shot with me and experience what my guns will do, even supplying the ammo.

BgBlkDg
12-29-2016, 05:01 PM
Hey hey what's happenin,

"lord"whathisnutz says - Eat a D pinko dingus!

Comments about "foreign" and inane, irrelevant references other threads and nonsense wtf? This is just a total derail and bs way to stink up an awesome thread with the all too typical and common BC hate for the smoothbores.

I would not associate with you in person, especially not around firearms. seem like a backshooter to me (not that I'd ever turn my back on you knowingly). Just go around HBC harrassing and starting fights and crying about. WTF, Why would I drag my ass all the way from the EK to mission to associate with the likes of you anyhow? Probably a card carrying fed lieberal and BC griz banning no down payment voter... Ugh. No thanks!!!

GTFO and leave me out of your bullshit. I said google the damn link if you want to see some shit! Since you're too inept to pull off even a simple websearch, here ya go - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaQnaRW6brU

25 yard bullshit now poor bashing?

Slug Hunting is interesting to me as is Hunting with Buckshot. If you don't like the topic get off the thread.

Again - don't mention me. I have gone out of my way to try to be nice to your archaic ass on this site before and all you ever do is disrespect and whine about how no one else is old as you? No one has lived or has any experience? Well Naoh and Moses died eventually, sorry your friends are gone! Bet you really miss the T-rex.

Dang po'd the kid for a sec there, tell ya what! Like buddy said, chill mang!

LOLZ

I could respond in kind, kid, but, your infantile rant merely demonstrates your lack of real knowledge. So, I won't bother.

12-29-2016, 05:18 PM
I could respond in kind, kid, but, your infantile rant merely demonstrates your lack of real knowledge. So, I won't bother.

I appreciate it! The rant was a bit harsh. Sorry, quite uncalled for in retrospect. I apologize and retract the insults. You say infantile and prefer a Rifle, I say that rant was jejune and occasionally do prefer a Shotgun. Let's call the nonsense off.

I'll respond in positive kind by not getting uppitity about the"lack of real knowledge" bit. I know what I know and perhaps, more importantly - what I don't. Maybe I'm just mad that that's a 1,600km + trek across BC in winter for me to burn free powder with you!!!

Back to task and topic -

Still, I am confident that I know my stuff. What I know is the last time I was on a Wolf I had a slug in the chamber and wish it was buck as I didn't feel confident in threading the needle with the slug having missed a shot on a Whitetail with the same brand earlier in the year due to a squib load. So while I was hiding in a thicket waiting for a better shot, the Wolf vamoosed. I know from the Whitetail I killed at approximately 33 full size (3 foot=1 yard) paces with buckshot in the same area under similar circumstances this past 2016 season that it'd have been dead Wolf had I had buckshot in the gun at the time. Distance to Wolf measured after it left was about 13 yards! Really should've taken the shot but no regrets, wasn't confident so didn't do it.

12-29-2016, 05:40 PM
assuming its legal after reading the post about the number 1 buck....id go with 4 buck. Tremendous load, back here in onterrible in a shotgun only area Ive shot lots of buckshot and find pellet count limiting with the 00 size. i believe 9 pellets in a 2 3/4 inch shell, on a wolf id go for more hits with the 4buck rather than the potential of 1 pellet in the back leg with the 00 buck. I dont think I am articulating my point very well here via typing. slugs are great with the right set up ...rifled barrel, scope, practice ect. When I used to have hounds and run coyotes 4 buck did the trick. ps i know coyotes are smaller than wolves ect..... again typing on the internet vs having a beer in person talking it over = a big difference.

regardless good luck and be safe
Wicket I fully concur with the potential for miscommunication via the text medium. In BC, #4 buckshot (again - .24 cal) is not even legal for Coyotes, which is ridiculous to me as my go to load for yotes elsewhere has been as small as lead BB (.18cal). Minimum for Coyotes (classed as Small Game in BC but have the same buckshot restrictions as larger species) in BC with buckshot and other Big Game (some species it is not legal to Hunt with any size of buckshot, which has to contain 8 or more projectiles to be legal in the bow or shot only areas) such as Wolves or Deer is the .30 cal #1 buckshot size. It's a ridiculous regulation as both Game Species and Hunters are best serves by what patterns best. More likelihood of a clean, humane kill. But wait, there's more! Those governed by these regs must use a gun whose gauge is of 20 or larger.

That said, sometimes and in some barrels those big pellets really do pattern tighter than prom night! Shotguns are beautifully unique and individual. One never knows what will pattern best until they try out a load in their own gun at the patterning board.

LBM
12-29-2016, 05:47 PM

His lack of knowledge is apparent on lots of subjects. Some may even call it trolling.

12-29-2016, 05:53 PM
I do not have the experience with shotguns that I do with rifles, due to the circumstances where I was born, raised and went to work in the BCFS, in the Kootenays, but, I do have some and it is as follows.

My shotgun collection contained, when I began to sell my 150+ guns several years ago, a British boxlock 12 bore, made by William Powell & Son, in Birmingham, at the "Corn St." address. The piece was nicely balanced as with most Brit. guns, but, the QC was mediocre, by my standards.

I had with this an AYA Mod.25 sidelock in 20, too whippy for me, but, some like these. I also had a Browning BSS Sidelock, 20 ga.-28", lovely little piece. With these, I had my Merkel drilling and my Browing Mod 7500 o/u-12x.308W. and a 1956 Superposed 3" Maggie, as well as a Mod. 12-20 bore and several other pumps and autoloaders, including two Belgian Brownings.

So, I have some experience to base my opinions on and having witnessed the use of 12 ga. slugs on deer and several Black Bears, some while working for BCF&W, I was/am NOT impressed. I recognize that there are specialist shotguns that use rifled barrels and specific slugs as in eastern US Whitetail hunting, but, these are as cumbersome and heavy as most bolt action big game rifles.

So, while I would NOT choose a slug for any such shooting past 25 yds. as I posted, and they can be effective at longer ranges, BUT, not to the same effect as a rifle bullet, I do use Brennekes in my Benelli Super Nova, 14" "entry gun" for inside my Hilleberg when sleeping alone in the bush.

Given, that I am no longer employed, apparently I am too elderly and thus incapable in the bush, although I still get asked back to wilderness work, I cannot carry my .44M handgun, so, sold it and went with the best legal option, the BSN 14"er.

Funny, in nearly 60 years of BC shooting, I have never experienced any discrimination here against shotguns, but, I guess we "old" guys don't really know much......do still shoot tho' and am always willing to allow others, strangers, even, to come shot with me and experience what my guns will do, even supplying the ammo.

Great post. Sorry to hear of these bad slug experiences! Elsewhere I have spoken to folks who have cleanly taken everything from Moose through to Polar Bear(!) cleanly with slugs. In BC I would to kill an Elk and Moose and Goat and Sheep and and and with them, to give it a go for experiences sake in the least. I am not a gun collector, never have been yet but am not opposed to such activity.

Poor shot placement is possible with anything. So is bad judgement on distance. As with Archery - these mistakes will cost dearly with slugs at range vs rifles. They are their own thing and need to be treated as such. Perhaps sometime you will feel for sharing your knowledge on these unfortunately poor results with slugs - Which slugs where used, where did the animal get hit, where these hunting or self defense(bears) type situations, what was the makeup of the slug involved(ie soft lead foster slug, harder swaged slug like a Brenneke or what)?

But this may be best served by starting a new thread?

12-29-2016, 05:54 PM
His lack of knowledge is apparent on lots of subjects. Some may even call it trolling.

+1 Good to see ya there buddy. Did you ever start your Cougar bag limit reduction thread?

Corb89
12-29-2016, 06:27 PM
ive been known to open cans of worms

12-29-2016, 06:30 PM
ive been known to open cans of worms

Have you been known to shoot Wolves?

:mrgreen:

Lastcar
12-29-2016, 06:51 PM
Man, it has been awhile since we've had one of these threads. It is shaping up to be a beauty! No one tell Gatehouse.

I can never get enough of the "calm your tits" line. Adriatcum really stepped it up this time though!

"pink dingo calm your tits"

What a day folks, what a day!

wicket
12-29-2016, 07:36 PM
I fully concur with the potential for miscommunication via the text medium. In BC, #4 buckshot (again - .24 cal) is not even legal for Coyotes, which is ridiculous to me as my go to load for yotes elsewhere has been as small as lead BB (.18cal). Minimum for Coyotes (classed as Small Game in BC but have the same buckshot restrictions as larger species) in BC with buckshot and other Big Game (some species it is not legal to Hunt with any size of buckshot, which has to contain 8 or more projectiles to be legal in the bow or shot only areas) such as Wolves or Deer is the .30 cal #1 buckshot size. It's a ridiculous regulation as both Game Species and Hunters are best serves by what patterns best. More likelihood of a clean, humane kill. But wait, there's more! Those governed by these regs must use a gun whose gauge is of 20 or larger.

That said, sometimes and in some barrels those big pellets really do pattern tighter than prom night! Shotguns are beautifully unique and individual. One never knows what will pattern best until they try out a load in their own gun at the patterning board.

agreed, lots of different shells and lots of patterning. those are some crazy regs to be sure. I used to use number 2 lead on red fox and either lead bb or mostly 4 buck for the coyotes. slug tech and slug gun tech has def come along long ways from the olden days of a chunk of lead thats all ill say on that subject. I gave up on the shotgun deer hunts in lieu of my savage smokeless muzzleloader which i enjoy shooting a lot more......anyways have a good one.
cheers from the east
wicket

ps the fox and coyote pops back here swing wildly so when fox pops where high and the likely hood of getting a coyote going were very low the 2s went in and vise versa.....i didnt want to give the impression of bumbling around changing shells as the dogs got closer

finngun
12-29-2016, 08:01 PM
I shoot shotgun a lot....wolfe,,buck shots,,,no longer than 30 meters,,,slug,no more than 70m. Anything else is hail mary shots,,
Big bad wolfe is really hard to kill...needs a good shot..
200ya. Slug shot,,,,yes it might to kill it..( head shot ),,but who can do it:-)? Only superhuman..on the movies like arnold.not too many around.:roll:

TyTy
12-29-2016, 08:09 PM
Federal - 2 3/4" OO hold x9 shot. 3" holds x15 shot, same amount of charge behind i believe.

I have 12 gauge H&R single shot, 32" barrel, full choke. Patterns rather vertically so can reach out to 50 yards. Cost me $200 new

12-29-2016, 08:35 PM
TyTy -

Federal loads many different varieties of buckshot in their various product lines. There is a blue box version of 12G 2 3/4" that contains 12 pellets as well as a 12 pellet version of their red box (Federal Premium) in 3" w/"flight control" sabot wad... Along with what you've mentioned and some others.

Glad you are happy with your results, sounds good! Can't beat that price these days either.

12-29-2016, 09:30 PM
It can be done. But common sense says if you're going to anticipate shooting wolves at that distance, you wouldn't choose a shotgun. https://youtu.be/nNTyCcip-ks

Almost forgot to thank you for posting up the link to this Hickok45 video! Offhand at 230 yards, that is pretty darn good for even an open sights .303 as mentioned by Mosin, let alone the humble and tremendously versatile smoothbore! Fun video, he is a great guy and great show.

Cheers!

BgBlkDg
12-30-2016, 10:50 AM
After all the foregoing and divers opinions from a few obviously experienced guys, notice how these all tend to agree on range limits for both buck and slugs, I will post my choice for what you want to accomplish.

In dense bush, ANY projectile can and may well deflected, slugs, round balls, buck shot and rifle bullets included. I have experienced this several times and with even 400 gr. .458 bullets handloaded to various MV speeds in the custom "bear buster" lever rifles I used to have.

Buckshot, due to low sectional density, ballistic coefficient and shape are among the WORST in this respect and testing many brands of shot has taught me this since my first in 1970. I have scads of Federal 00 shells and some older Imperial as well.

For me, I would choose my Browning 7500 combo .308Wx12-70mm and with a low powered scope such as a Leupy 2.5, to keep the excellent balance and light weight for fast handling.

My other choice would be my Benelli Nova 24" Turkey gun, 3.5" and I have a scope mount on it, would look at a good red dot sight, again for balance and handling. I would use Federal buck, 00, in the load that patterns best in the specific gun.

That said, both of these guns weigh about what a bolt action rifle does and I tend to agree with Salty, a light carbine such as a Win. 94-.30-30 or my old Marlin 336-.44M. with good irons is probably as efficient and much less to carry.

Being so old, barely able to even see my sights, I see the latter as an advantage................

SSG-man
12-30-2016, 11:21 AM
The original question of buckshot to 40 yds, yes for sure.
I've taken deer with 28" bbl mod choke at that distance but not sure about short bbl Wich is probably more suited to quik point and fire close range brush.
My question is what deodorant you put on to get that many wolves dancing around you close proximity?
That's pretty cool , you might have been near a den?

Linksman313
12-30-2016, 01:52 PM
No Choke - where would I find info pertaining to what I can hunt with what loads, I have spent the last couple of days since this thread started searching for info on game vs loads legality, heck I haven't even found anything you can't shoot big game with (22lr for deer - legal). If you know of a gov't site which has this info could you post it for us as you seem to have this knowledge on hand? Thanks in advance

Gateholio
12-30-2016, 02:23 PM
Page 16 of the Hunting Regs is a good BASIC resource. It will certainly tell you what is illegal.

Gateholio
12-30-2016, 02:38 PM
There isn't a deep history of shotgun hunting in BC for anything other than birds and small game, and for good reason- Other than a few "shot only" areas around population, we don't have any of the restrictions that other provinces or states do on using rifles.

So most hunters pick a rifle as it's far superior in almost every respect for larger game than a shotgun.

There are a few situations where a shotgun with shot can be very useful though, and this case may be one of them. If you are serious about this type of hunting, the first place I would start is https://www.patternmaster.com/

People have reportedly effectively killed deer well in excess of 50 yards using one of their chokes and buckshot- up to even 80 yards.

I've shot slugs and buckshot enough that I would shoot to 50 yard with buck and 100 yards with a slug. I'd like some sort of a rest at 100 though, as a little screw up on the trigger squeeze can send a slow moving slug pretty far off course.

Linksman313
12-30-2016, 03:31 PM
Page 16 of the Hunting Regs is a good BASIC resource. It will certainly tell you what is illegal.

Thanks Gates, I think I got the BASIC resource read a few hundred times now, seems No Choke seems to have more than info regarding legalities than the Regs provide, just wondering what his resource is?

Gateholio
12-30-2016, 06:17 PM
Thanks Gates, I think I got the BASIC resource read a few hundred times now, seems No Choke seems to have more than info regarding legalities than the Regs provide, just wondering what his resource is?

Everything I have seen him post regarding this can be referenced form page 16. But the Wildlife Act is the final resource. Do you have a specific question you need answered?

12-30-2016, 07:19 PM

My resource is extensive personal study of Hunting Regulations and Wildlife Management practices not only in B.C. or Canada, yet Internationally - United States, Europe, Africa et al. Studying Hunting is a hobby of mine. It is important to enjoy and study the Synopsis but do not neglect to read the Legislation itself.

For B.C. I like to interview members of the COS and occasionally communicate with their policy analyst. It's a hobby, a personal collection of Hunting methodology and study. I would send some fun links such as what I call "the COS shit list" which is a list of offenders' convictions (only those considered Legally guilty are listed) and what the Offenses entailed (including dates and basic circumstances) yet since the BC gov't website redesign/relaunch I am having a harder time finding the stuff&things.

Anyhow, Most of what I've said is as Gatehouse has mentioned - Lifted straight off the Hunting Methods Table in the Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis. That's where it also says things such as not to shoot Deer with a .22lr or Turkey's with a Centrefire Rifle.
Via a basic study of Canadian/BC Law you'll notice that doing things like say, violating Hunting methodology regulations is not illegal per se, it is a minor regulatory infraction punishable by a lil' fine. Unless there are other things involved (out of season/no tag, trespassing etc) then it can get bad and it is truly amazing the stupidity of many of these poaching idiots!

Corb89
12-30-2016, 08:35 PM
The original question of buckshot to 40 yds, yes for sure.
I've taken deer with 28" bbl mod choke at that distance but not sure about short bbl Wich is probably more suited to quik point and fire close range brush.
My question is what deodorant you put on to get that many wolves dancing around you close proximity?
That's pretty cool , you might have been near a den?
without spilling all my secrets...I live and work on a very large cattle ranch..big time food source year round for the devils...i know of 2 packs at opposite ends of the place and can pretty well time it within a day or two when they will be in the main valley, based on their travel patterns.

Mosin
12-30-2016, 08:44 PM
On a different site a guy posted up a pic of a wolf he shot with a 3" magnum slug out of a winchester sxp at about 10 yards. It had snuck up behind him. He has it on film where the wilf 1st showed up and then a pic of it on the ground after he shot it. It came to him.

scoutlt1
12-30-2016, 08:48 PM

My thoughts on post #1.... Hunting wolves in thick timber up to 50 (or more) yards?? I love my shotguns, but in that situation, I'd pack my .30-30 over every shotgun I own any day.

12-30-2016, 08:59 PM
After all the foregoing and divers opinions from a few obviously experienced guys, notice how these all tend to agree on range limits for both buck and slugs, I will post my choice for what you want to accomplish.

In dense bush, ANY projectile can and may well deflected, slugs, round balls, buck shot and rifle bullets included. I have experienced this several times and with even 400 gr. .458 bullets handloaded to various MV speeds in the custom "bear buster" lever rifles I used to have.

This is as true as can be! I personally have experienced even a tiny willow branch deflect a slug wildly off course. What is bad about this is that the thing is it's so huge it truly runs amok. This particular slug went almost ten feet off course, went through a smaller tree that was about 6" diameter or so then struck another tree, leaving an impression that looked like a strong man hit it with a ball peen hammer. It bounced away into the snow somewhere and despite a fairly extensive search I was unable to locate the projectile.
To get truly crazy in this manner, I like (but unfortunately do not currently own if I did I think the term would be love) a fine cartridge by the name of .450 Rigby (http://www.norma-usa.com/index.php/products/ammo/cartridge-of-the-month/221-cartridge-of-the-month-450-rigby-rimless-magnum). Even this massive, 480Gr. projectile with muzzle velocities nearing 2,400fps can be deflected!
The advantage of buckshot over even this monstrous round in a thick cover, close range scenario on a Wolf is the fact that you get many more chances to hit effectively by avoiding deflection. Something so huge and fast as an Elephant cartridge is way over the top for killing a comparatively tiny animal like such as a Wolf. Even a few roundball is more than capable of killing cleanly and quickly, in my person experience. Shotguns in general and Buckshot in particular are a close range implement. My don't shoot far with one "blah blah blah" as I said was no joke, I just thought I was preaching to choir on the topic and that it is classified under the heading of - What's understood does not need to be discussed. What's near or far is in the eye of the beholder. To me, 120 yards is a very long ways off, this to me is long range. To a 6.5 Creedmoor or .300Mag guy, this is probably super short range. I am not sure, I can only speak for myself and am probably in the minority in this day and age of ultralongrangewhizbang1,100 yard shots on an Elk.

Buckshot, due to low sectional density, ballistic coefficient and shape are among the WORST in this respect and testing many brands of shot has taught me this since my first in 1970. I have scads of Federal 00 shells and some older Imperial as well.

Science and formulas are a belief system thing. I can't speak to formulas and science, I have never killed anything with a calculator. To me, these things you've mentioned are just like KE forulas - Marketing gimmicks of the manufacturers of modern small bore Rifle ammunition.
Numbers and rhetoric don't kill, destruction of vital tissue does. What I do know from a study of the recorded History of Mankind and Firearms is that slow, lead roundball from a smoothbore launched by a knowledgeable practitioner has been destroying vital tissue and killing everything dead worldwide for centuries. It worked then, it works now. I last killed an animal with Buckshot on October 30th, 2016.

For me, I would choose my Browning 7500 combo .308Wx12-70mm and with a low powered scope such as a Leupy 2.5, to keep the excellent balance and light weight for fast handling.

What a phenomenal choice! I bet it's a beautiful piece. Near and far in one fine gun.

My other choice would be my Benelli Nova 24" Turkey gun, 3.5" and I have a scope mount on it, would look at a good red dot sight, again for balance and handling. I would use Federal buck, 00, in the load that patterns best in the specific gun.

Sounds like quite the Turkey gun and would certainly be adaptable to Predators such as Coyotes and Wolves. I have a long held belief that the difference between a specialist gun for Turkey and Predators is the load used.

That said, both of these guns weigh about what a bolt action rifle does and I tend to agree with Salty, a light carbine such as a Win. 94-.30-30 or my old Marlin 336-.44M. with good irons is probably as efficient and much less to carry.

Being so old, barely able to even see my sights, I see the latter as an advantage................

I've never concerned myself with the weight of a gun and like heavy. So for my own choice I shall go with the Browning BPS. It has no sights but fits well and as such, shoots where I look. I feel quite in tune with this gun these days.

I am writing these things as I found your post inspirational. I do hope you have accepted my appology. I've just have been injured in bed with the flu as well, cabin fever and actual etc put me in a terrible mood! I appear to have had a horrible habbit of taking frustrations for factors that have nothing to do with others out via weird rants.

I have read some of your other posts and see that you are now a self described Retired Curmudgeon. I am a Jr. Curmudgeon who is working to develop truly world class curmudgeon-ing qualities. Should I be successful I too will one day become full blown curmudgeon such as yourself or maybe even Ballistic Product's own Reloading Curmudgeon!

Here we have an example of thread that got very ill only to show the truly great testicular fortitude and spirited knowledge available right here on HBC. Happy New Year!!!

Ohwildwon
12-30-2016, 10:34 PM
My thoughts on post #1.... Hunting wolves in thick timber up to 50 (or more) yards?? I love my shotguns, but in that situation, I'd pack my .30-30 over every shotgun I own any day.

If a person is very proficient with that classic (iron sights), I agree...

A great niche for that baby, in today's world of modern rifles and rules...!

12-30-2016, 11:36 PM
Just a respectful reminder -

This is not a "what gun would you use for close range Wolves?" Thread. This is a Hunting Wolves with Shotgun(s) and buckshot thread! The point is for interested parties to discuss loads and such for this particular niche Hunting endeavor.

That said, even I am now joining the derail! It's how it's done here on HBC. Even before I joined, I used to search things online and find links to the forum. All the while, I can't ever recall seeing a thread on the forum that was cohesive and stuck to task... So I don't even feel bad about it. Lolz

Open sights are a fundamental skill of any Rifleman. Before I ever even knew much about a Shotgun at all I had umtpeen thousands of pellets through little rifles such as my own .177 open sights air rifle as well as a semiauto .22 outfitted with similar sights. If anyone can not use these proficiently, get to work learning! A vital skill.

Now, back to Shotguns - Shotgunning is entirely different than Rifle marksmanship. The main commonality is the fact that consistency is requisite. If you use a Shotgun like a rifle, you don't know how to use a Shotgun and it will not go well with you. Usually, these are the ones spreading bad press and poo-pooing Shotguns and a real Shotgun Man.

Ohwildwon
12-31-2016, 12:05 AM
Hey o Lord, why don't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?...:razz:

12-31-2016, 12:23 AM
LOL!!!!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?103863-About-Your-Username

Happy New Year!

12-31-2016, 04:30 AM
Seeing as how I am still bedridden, flu/fevered up and sleepless, I thought I'd come by and post this link to a very brief Hickok45 "Deep Woods Thoughts" which perfectly sums up Hunting Big Game in BC with a Shotgun(Buckshot) or Slugs -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee59F-1sFRU

SSG-man
12-31-2016, 10:09 AM
Very cool Corb.

I was browsing one of the usual ammo sites, not sure I can link it legally here but found a neat Coyote load that would probably be lethal.

Hornady 86224 Heavy Magnum Coyote 12 Gauge ga 3" 1-1/2 oz 00 Buck Shot

The Hornady Heavy Magnum Coyote shotgun loads deliver lethal results and minimal pelt damage out to 50 yards. Loaded with 1.5 ounces of nickel plated lead shot in your choice of either a BB or 00 buckshot offering, these 3 inch, 12 gauge shotshells are the perfect answer for close range predators. Both loads feature the Hornady Versatite wad that strips cleanly from the shot string for excellent pattern density and a short shot column for maximum effect on target.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Mfg Item Num: 86224
Category: SHOTSHELL LEAD LOADS
Gauge :12 Gauge
Type :Heavyweight
Length :3"
Ounces :1-1/2 oz
Shot Size :00 Buck
Muzzle Velocity : 1300 FPS
Rounds Per Box : 10

without spilling all my secrets...I live and work on a very large cattle ranch..big time food source year round for the devils...i know of 2 packs at opposite ends of the place and can pretty well time it within a day or two when they will be in the main valley, based on their travel patterns.

Sako 75
12-31-2016, 11:02 AM
Shot lot of coyotes using Federal 3 " Buckshots OO up to 80 yards. I was using my Remington Wingmaster 870 with full choke.

adriaticum
12-31-2016, 02:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F42Bsc8YtnU&t

Dannybuoy
12-31-2016, 03:46 PM
Does posting that video mean that you concede that you were wrong adriaticum ? The 12 ga performed about what I would have expected but couldn't have said for sure .. thanks !

panhead
12-31-2016, 05:14 PM
Think you are dreaming if you think you will get that close to "El Lobo." Only happened to me once, tried a "hip shot" with a 7MM Mag and missed. A ranch rifle would have been more useful in my hands ... think I might have got 2.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Virgin wool comes from ugly sheep

BgBlkDg
12-31-2016, 07:48 PM
The slug performance at 100, was what I expected and the penetration in rigid, thin, dry wood panels is NOT relevant to how projectiles behave in flesh. I have shot and seen killed in excess of 200 game animals in BC and Alberta, and the results here were NOT what you have claimed.

Now, I own and use Benellis, with the exact sights and like them, BUT, I find packing a bench rest and accessories just a BIT difficult in the mountains. His groups were not even close to what consistent, humane killing shots on wildlife require and I am amused by the whole video.

You did notice that the 00 buck spread some 15" at 15 yds.........maybe that tells you something?

I also strongly disagree with the "cut shell" practice, this is dangerous, ties up your gun and why do this when using a $3000.00 gun?

Sooooooo, gotta give it a big minus.

Corb89
12-31-2016, 08:01 PM
Think you are dreaming if you think you will get that close to "El Lobo." Only happened to me once, tried a "hip shot" with a 7MM Mag and missed. A ranch rifle would have been more useful in my hands ... think I might have got 2.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Virgin wool comes from ugly sheep
Its good to know your limitations...please don't presume to know mine

panhead
12-31-2016, 08:13 PM
Its good to know your limitations...please don't presume to know mine

Sorry for speaking ...

12-31-2016, 08:14 PM
Not all buckshot behaves the same! This is why patterning is so important. It's not just a case of shell A out of this gun performed well so I'll use it unilaterally. Each gun is an individual and patterns do vary. 15" at as many yards is exceptionally open, IME. The old wives tale of buckshot spreading 1" per yard is certainly not reliable nor accurate as a generalization yet could easily be the case in some gun/load combinations.

Again - Pattern, pattern, repeat! Get comfortable with the equipment. None the less - It's true, only way to know what projectiles will do in any given material is to hit said material. Each material is different and there is no substitute for living mammalian tissue - Not ballistics gel, not animal carcasses. Not skulls covered in an old jean jacket.

Now before I had any experience shooting an animal with anything I had asked knowledgeable folks and studied up a bit. Thus far my results have corroborated what the wise ones told me.

Cutshells dangerous? Not inherently. What's dangerous is not checking for a bore obstruction between shots. Still, I don't advocate for them in the general way of things. With so much interesting and legitimate ammunition available I have never been compelled to try.

P.S. -

Flu is receding, fever has broken! I am starting to feel way better and was able to walk about and enjoy getting some fresh air for the first time in days. Super stoked, will get out shooting and Hunting again soon! :D

12-31-2016, 08:20 PM
Sorry for speaking ...
What the heckin???

He's not the only one that's been close to a wolf from time to time! what's the phrase? "Calm your tits" ! ;)

I tease ya! 'cept about getting close to Wolves. Can be done. Anyone can do it steady with ground blind, tree stand or some kind of hide set after establishing a bait station. Baiting is legal in B.C. for everything except Bears.

12-31-2016, 08:24 PM
Very cool Corb.

I was browsing one of the usual ammo sites, not sure I can link it legally here but found a neat Coyote load that would probably be lethal.

Hornady 86224 Heavy Magnum Coyote 12 Gauge ga 3" 1-1/2 oz 00 Buck Shot

The Hornady Heavy Magnum Coyote shotgun loads deliver lethal results and minimal pelt damage out to 50 yards. Loaded with 1.5 ounces of nickel plated lead shot in your choice of either a BB or 00 buckshot offering, these 3 inch, 12 gauge shotshells are the perfect answer for close range predators. Both loads feature the Hornady Versatite wad that strips cleanly from the shot string for excellent pattern density and a short shot column for maximum effect on target.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Mfg Item Num: 86224
Category: SHOTSHELL LEAD LOADS
Gauge :12 Gauge
Type :Heavyweight
Length :3"
Ounces :1-1/2 oz
Shot Size :00 Buck
Muzzle Velocity : 1300 FPS
Rounds Per Box : 10

I have tried this load in BB, it's a fine shell and the gun and myself enjoyed it thoroughly. I have yet to obtain any of the 00 but am interested. It contains 12 nickel plated pellets.

sausage lover
12-31-2016, 08:25 PM
I'm getting pumped on my pump! Great thread guys:lol:

adriaticum
12-31-2016, 08:29 PM
Does posting that video mean that you concede that you were wrong adriaticum ? The 12 ga performed about what I would have expected but couldn't have said for sure .. thanks !

Danny, I don't know whiskey you're drinking, but tonight it's appropriate.

BgBlkDg
12-31-2016, 08:30 PM
Starting almost 50 years ago, I used to get (super cheap) end of rolls of newsprint from the old Nelson Daily News to pattern the various shotguns I owned.

I started once I bought my two Browning autos, a 20 and a 12 with two barrels. I have patterned many of my guns and usually know what works well in each. It seems foolish to spend the kind of $$$$ that many of mine have cost and not bother to check their actual performance.

BRENNEKE SLUGS, however, are sighted in my three 12 bores and used as working loads as they perform SO much better than any other slugs available to me here. I am concerned with bears and would not shoot over 25 yds, so, the accuracy is OK for my purposes.

Horses for courses, one learns by doing, not from videos.

12-31-2016, 08:32 PM
Shot lot of coyotes using Federal 3 " Buckshots OO up to 80 yards. I was using my Remington Wingmaster 870 with full choke.
Great work! That's a long ways off on a smaller than Wolf size target.... Unless it was one of those BRUTE Coyotes. I saw one such once and couldn't believe my eyes! Took me a few seconds to clue into what it was I was looking at then the songdog was gone.Nearly Wolf size, for sure.

Anyhow, sounds like your Wingmaster sure does love that load! They work very well together for you.

BgBlkDg
12-31-2016, 08:33 PM
I have tried this load in BB, it's a fine shell and the gun and myself enjoyed it thoroughly. I have yet to obtain any of the 00 but am interested. It contains 12 nickel plated pellets.

I will run over to Cabelas, Abby, this coming Monday and see if they have any with 00 in stock. I would also like to test this in my Benellis.

12-31-2016, 08:43 PM
Starting almost 50 years ago, I used to get (super cheap) end of rolls of newsprint from the old Nelson Daily News to pattern the various shotguns I owned.

I started once I bought my two Browning autos, a 20 and a 12 with two barrels. I have patterned many of my guns and usually know what works well in each. It seems foolish to spend the kind of $$$$ that many of mine have cost and not bother to check their actual performance.

BRENNEKE SLUGS, however, are sighted in my three 12 bores and used as working loads as they perform SO much better than any other slugs available to me here. I am concerned with bears and would not shoot over 25 yds, so, the accuracy is OK for my purposes.

Horses for courses, one learns by doing, not from videos.
Very well said Sir!

Videos can be entertaining and are in fact just that. Entertainment. I'd rather watch Hickok45 or this Iraq8888 or whomever than cbc.

Please correct me if I am wrong, yet 25 yards is a distance long held in the minds of many for the maximum range of a defensive shooting, no? Now of course, defensive shooting is required if a threat needs to be eliminated regardless of range, yet 25 yards is the standard. A bear in that close can easily tear a guy up. Kill a person or in the very least insure that we'd likely never be the same again.

With Bears, fake charges are not at all uncommon. It lack balls and spirit to shoot a Bear illegally/out of season/no tag just because one is afraid of the thing. I have had nothing but Bears running and hiding from me in many years and have never been charged by one. Have you been attacked by a Bear?

Have you tried the Gaulandi Dangerous Game slug? It is loaded by RWS, called Exact and by Challenger as the Challenger Slug. Also available as a handloading component.

Still I would rather buckshot than slug for the instance of smaller animals but Bears? Different question I do believe. :) I don't believe that slugs are a shotgun anymore, they turn them into something else entirely.

BgBlkDg
12-31-2016, 08:50 PM
I have about 35 rifles and three handguns left of my collection to handload for, detest handloading and am NOT about to start loading shotshells. I have what I need for the few times I will use them and Reliable will call when they get more Brennekes in stock.

I prefer to keep my guns as simple as can be, based on working with a carry gun for decades. So, I see no reason to shoot a bear at over 25 yds and have never had to as most seem to leave me alone. Hmmm, maybe Mitchums ain't the answer.......

Ohwildwon
12-31-2016, 08:54 PM
Federal flight control buckshot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYHIrUYRiBk

12-31-2016, 08:57 PM
So you are saying Mitchum's deoderant repels Bears?

Now if it ALSO could attract Wolves, they'd really be in business!

An entirely new market.

12-31-2016, 09:12 PM
Federal flight control buckshot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYHIrUYRiBk

I have seen this video before, looks like it shows the lower velocity for less recoil load*, which I have heard of yet not tried. I have some of the full speed stuff with this wad in both 2 3/4" 9 pellet and just one box of 3" 12 pellet. It's alright! For the record, the Deer I killed in 2016 with buckshot was taken with Fiocchi nickel plated 9 pellet, 2 3/4" full power.

Ohwildwon
12-31-2016, 10:50 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/mikemcclement/IMG_4778_zpskplawiyh.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/mikemcclement/media/IMG_4778_zpskplawiyh.jpg.html)

Ohwildwon
12-31-2016, 11:00 PM
You can find both of these locally in the lower mainland...

I'm having the venison you see on the right along with a vintage Bordeaux tonight!

Hope you are all having a nice last night of the year too!!

12-31-2016, 11:27 PM
Excellent, enjoy your meal! I am about to sign out of HBC for the last time in 2016...

Just before I go - https://www.youtube.com/user/BubbaRountree

Scroll down to Shooting Tips and tricks, tons of videos of buckshot reloading and testing. Plenty of videos of Hunting with Buckshot and much more! Bubba Rountree Outdoors is surely one of my favorite shows. Funny that I have not posted a link to them before. Just in case anyone may be interested in more entertaining videos.

Once again - Happy New Year!!!

kevan
12-31-2016, 11:33 PM
I will run over to Cabelas, Abby, this coming Monday and see if they have any with 00 in stock. I would also like to test this in my Benellis.

Thats funny, I had the same thought in mind for Monday AM after getting blood work done up the street.
Buying buckshot is a great way to start the New Year .... no ?