PDA

View Full Version : training an older dog for birds and need some advice

Gucho
12-25-2016, 12:15 AM
Hello folks,
We are looking at adopting a 2 year old GSP mix and he has had very little to no training. We are wanting to train him for birds mainly. I am afraid that he may be too old to train. I have the whole family willing to put in the time to train him. He is a rescue that was given up because his owners went to a place that did not allow pets. So there has been no abuse there.

I want to know what you guys and gals think of a 2 year old pup for birds.

All your input is appreciated, thanks!

lorneparker1
12-25-2016, 11:26 AM
Definitely not to old. Bring him to this, and meet some like minded people.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?132233-GRCBC-Field-Work-Getting-Started-March-11-2017

palmer
12-25-2016, 11:53 AM
Patience is the key with older dogs. I took a GSP at six that was gun shy....lots of Patience, he is now 13 and was one of my best dogs by far...Develop a bond with the dog and he will want to please.

good luck

Cdn-Redneck
12-25-2016, 01:50 PM
If he has the natural instinct to hunt you will be able to train him. I had a golden retriever with zero hunting or retrieving instinct, she was an awesome dog but didn't hunt or even fetch a ball.

SPEYMAN
12-26-2016, 07:37 PM
If the dog you had did not retrieve a ball or something thrown for it, my opinion is that it was a dog, but not a Golden Retriever. Retrievers have a natural desire to chase and retrieve.

It could have or may have been a bred out bench bred dog. No natural instinks left. Bred to be pretty but dumb. A dog like that should not be called a Golden Retriever.

albravo2
12-26-2016, 09:15 PM
If the dog you had did not retrieve a ball or something thrown for it, my opinion is that it was a dog, but not a Golden Retriever. Retrievers have a natural desire to chase and retrieve.

It could have or may have been a bred out bench bred dog. No natural instinks left. Bred to be pretty but dumb. A dog like that should not be called a Golden Retriever.

Very helpful comment.

Moron.

mastercaster
12-26-2016, 09:24 PM
Definitely not to old. Bring him to this, and meet some like minded people.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?132233-GRCBC-Field-Work-Getting-Started-March-11-2017

On the other side of the coin,,,,how young is too young to attend a seminar like this? i.e. Is 3 months old too young?

12-26-2016, 09:47 PM
Very helpful comment.

Moron.

I may have used more soft wording than speyman did but I agree with him completely.

op,
yes you will be able to train your dog for birds, no it isn't too late. Get some bird wings and a throw dummy and a book or two. You got a lot of time till next year

It is tough to say so I won't say it but I will say this. If you want a gun dog buy a gun dog. They are bred to hunt. Mixes are not bred to hunt.

that said you will love your dog and I have no doubt he will do everything you want him to.

Again, speyman is correct. A gun dog is bred to hunt. If you can't tell the difference you are not into birds as much as some and in that case it won't matter to you.

lorneparker1
12-26-2016, 10:29 PM
On the other side of the coin,,,,how young is too young to attend a seminar like this? i.e. Is 3 months old too young?

Nope definitely not to young. I brought my rosie to her first class around 3 months. You aren't going to make a gun dog in 8 hours with a 3 month old dog, but you will be surrounded by people that can help you along. There will be lots of good info and all the ladies will love your cute puppy. :)

Foxton Gundogs
12-27-2016, 06:51 AM

Unfortunately the show/pet/field split in most gundog breeds can and does cause this. I have run across dogs from a number of the popular gundog breeds that show no interest in retrieving or birds in general. If you want a gundog buy a pup from proven gundog lines. Pretty is as pretty does.
On another note great advice Lorne.

Kasomor
12-27-2016, 01:33 PM

3 months old is NOT ago young to attend the seminar. They are little sponges at this age and it's a super fun time for them and you watching them soak up information.

You will learn tons!

P.S. I start training the dogs I have bred at 5 weeks old.

Kas

Kasomor
12-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Hello folks,
We are looking at adopting a 2 year old GSP mix and he has had very little to no training. We are wanting to train him for birds mainly. I am afraid that he may be too old to train. I have the whole family willing to put in the time to train him. He is a rescue that was given up because his owners went to a place that did not allow pets. So there has been no abuse there.

Hi Gucho,

will the GSP you are looking at chase things?

As others have said you will hedge your bets getting a pup or dog from proven field lines. Yes, there are dogs that don't have any desire to retrieve. One of my pet peeves is breeders who sell dogs into a hunting home with the hopes it will turn into a hunting dog when they have no knowledge themselves on what to look for in a hunting puppy.

With an older dog as long as the dog will chase things you will likely be able to train him to retrieve ducks for you. It may take a lot of work and effort or it may not. It depends on the individual dog, and how much time and resources you have to put into him but that is the same when starting with a puppy too. A natural retrieve would be perfect but if all he has is chase, it's a start. If the dog has no chase then I'd pass on him.

Whether you get the dog or not, come to the seminar so you get a taste of what it's like to train a hunting dog.

Kas

jagen mit DDrs
12-27-2016, 02:12 PM
Hello folks,

What's the other half of your GSP mix?What kind of hunting would you do with your dog....waterfowl,upland??Do you want your dog as a pointing dog or flushing dog?Retrieving game is secondary as it will come after he is trained as a pointer or flusher.
Rainer

thehammer
12-28-2016, 10:08 AM
What's the other half of your GSP mix?What kind of hunting would you do with your dog....waterfowl,upland??Do you want your dog as a pointing dog or flushing dog?Retrieving game is secondary as it will come after he is trained as a pointer or flusher.
Rainer

Exactly. What good is retrieving if you are not finding birds. It seems every new dog tread on here always assumes its all about the retrieve.