PDA

View Full Version : Moose draw 7-28

kennyg826
07-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Hey guys. My first time posting a message, hopefully this works. My Dad and I have a shared hunt for moose in 7-28 ( also bringing my 11 yr old son ). We want to hunt the Manson creek / skunk lake area. Just wondering about the logging in the area. Has there been much in the last year or so.
Cheers and happy hunting to all.
Ken.

GoatGuy
07-06-2007, 07:20 AM
Tchentlo and down to the Nation area has plenty of logging and plenty of moose unless something's changed in the last couple years. Easy access, lots of roads.

Good luck.

boatdoc
07-06-2007, 07:31 AM
I hunt the nation area,lots of logging for the last few years.A radio is very important along with the right chanels.

KodiakHntr
07-09-2007, 05:42 AM
Don't worry about it too much. There is no logging going on there right now. And chances are there won't be much in the fall either with the Canfor Mackenzie division closing in August. Just have to watch for Ore trucks on the Finlay, and that isn't bad at all.

boatdoc
07-10-2007, 12:31 PM
kodiakhntr, do you know if they are logging out the philips,north or south?

BCrams
07-10-2007, 02:13 PM
The best moose hunting for bulls IMO would be hunting with a boat off Chuchi / Tchentlo Lake. Cruising up and down the many bays etc during the calf season and you'll get your moose. They're fair size lakes and not something most hunters consider moose lakes but they're there and you'll see good bulls too. Especially early mornings / evenings.

There will be other hunters but you won't notice them.

Gus
07-10-2007, 02:22 PM
I was up on the north side of Tchentlo last week for a few hours working. Looked like absolute prime moose country, but for some reason I saw no sign what so ever (I was working in a prime browse block too). However, I would be willing to bet that this probably wouldn't be consistent throughout the area, but would be something to keep in mind. A guy may have to move camp or get out to hit some different areas during your hunt.

BCrams
07-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I was up on the north side of Tchentlo last week for a few hours working. Looked like absolute prime moose country, but for some reason I saw no sign what so ever

Always moose on the lake!

Sitkaspruce
07-10-2007, 04:16 PM
The moose are there, but at this time of year you will find them up higher, in the old burns and such. Indata lake has some great moose, use to hunt it quite a bit.

Kennyg826, if you want some info and some maps let me know. The Rotticker creek and that area is good for moose, but because of the small area, you are restricted by a lot of deactivated roads. If you chose to hunt that area, bring a quad and a boat with a motor. The big lakes are very good for moose, just watch the weather.

KodiakHntr
07-10-2007, 08:20 PM
kodiakhntr, do you know if they are logging out the philips,north or south?
Not a thing moving on a truck there at the moment. And unlikely for that to change anytime soon.

GoatGuy
07-10-2007, 09:06 PM
There have been a few moose killed on Tchentlo!8) Road hunting by boat - or calling in the bays will put hair on the ground.

kennyg826
07-11-2007, 01:49 AM
Many thanks to all for the info. I am currently trying to get some maps of the area.
Cheers.

KodiakHntr
07-15-2007, 07:45 PM
New info....Will be hauling North and South Philips, Skunk, Nation, Finlay, etc as of Aug 23.
Safe travels.

kennyg826
07-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks Kodiak.

KodiakHntr
07-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Sorry, meant July 23. As in yesterday.

kennyg826
08-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Well, you guys talked us into taking a boat along to fish and hunt Tchentlo and Chuchi. Just wondering what species of fish are in those lakes and do you have any recommendations as far as fishing methods or tackle are concerned? Thanks.
Ken.

Sitkaspruce
08-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Ken

Lakers and rainbows. Lakers close for retention on Sept 15 I believe. Trolling small trout killer apex's in silver, red and white or blue whaite is effective for small rainbows, trolling 3-5" silver, white pearl or red and white is good for larger rainbows and lakers. Casting Len Thompsons and croc's in the deeper pools on the river works great. What type of boat do you have? Running the Nation can be tricky, especially between Chuchi and Tchentlo. PM me and I can give you a few other locations to hunt in the west area of 7-28.

ROEBUCK
09-09-2007, 12:19 PM
how are the moose doing there?

Tron
09-11-2007, 10:18 PM
how are the moose doing there?

What he said.

Sitkaspruce
09-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Well

They are eating, sleeping and getting ready for the rut. They are also talking about all the hunters that will be coming up, and all the little tricks they are going to play on all the hunters, so that they get discouraged and do not come back.:biggrin:

Moose are moose and will be around. No massive winter kill with ticks and because it has been so damn wet this year, they have lots of food, so they will be in the thick stuff. No need to wander around looking for food, just love....