PDA

View Full Version : Frame packs?

ajr5406
12-22-2016, 09:59 AM
Going to get a hunting pack for next season and am hoping to get some suggestions? Basically want something that will be used for packing meat, and perhaps the odd multi-day trip carrying backpacking/camping gear.

As much as i'd love a Mystery Ranch pack, so something similar, I just cant justify the $$$, so thinking something with an external frame (perhaps the Cabela's Alaskan Outfitter).

What do you guys use? If I got a frame pack with just the frame and harness system, is that enough?

12-22-2016, 10:14 AM
I have used a Camptrails for years, removable external frame. Big pack though when attached. Sure it's not the best out there, far from it. It was cost effective at the time and has done way more then it's money's worth. I just can't see breaking the bank for brand names ....... Get the best you can afford. Comfort is huge so load ER up. Or just get a Trapper Nelson ..... With no waist belt ..... Ouch

warnniklz
12-22-2016, 10:23 AM
Have you looked at the tatonka lasternaxe?

Backwoods
12-22-2016, 10:44 AM
I just picked up a barneys freighter frame and Yukon pack, at the begging of 2016 from Barneys Sports Chalet in Alaska, before was using a badlands ox frame pack and honestly, once you try a barneys all loaded up with 70-100lbs you'll be soooo happy with your purchase!! Initially it's a big cost but you'll never have to buy another pack! Badlands OX is really comfortable and decent price and amazing warranty, I tried the Wilderness Wonder frames and couldn't imagine coming out heavy with one, if you can try on multiple packs, and if possible put some weight in it!! Good luck dude!

BgBlkDg
12-22-2016, 10:45 AM
What is your actual budget upper limit, as the higher prices of some packs is well worth paying given their superior performance.

This, becomes ever more important as you age and some of the current "name" packs are SO superior under heavy load to even the best of only a few years ago, that it amazes me.

My suggestion would be to check the systems offered by Seekoutside in the USA. You can start with a Revolution Frame and build as and when you wish with various bags and accessories.

I prefer these to any and I have owned and used about everything in 60+ years of packing. Call them and see what they suggest, they are THE best folks to deal with I have encountered yet.

Ron.C
12-22-2016, 10:55 AM
I've used a Cabela's akaskan outfitter packframe on 4 backpack trips for goat. Now use a Tatonka Lastenkraxe bag on it. Has worked very well.

Yes, I too would love a higher end pack, but for the $$$ this has been a cost effective and reliable pack combo

Bonz
12-22-2016, 11:00 AM
just sold a brand new one of these. i also run another version they have, love their gear. same stuff as badlands but cheeper.

http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/packs/hunting-packs/commander-pack-bag

metalface
12-22-2016, 11:03 AM
anyone have experience with eberlestocks f1 mainframe?

GetLethal
12-22-2016, 11:13 AM
I have an eberlestock team elk, really nice internal frame pack but I am kicking myself for not getting the f1 and a separate pack. My hunting partner uses a cabelas frame and just hangs a day pack off of it, works really well and really affordable.

RiverOtter
12-22-2016, 11:13 PM
Bought a Cabela's Alaskan frame this past fall as a meat freighter and it did surprisingly well considering the price point. $129 on sale, and they go on sale a few times a year. Would I do a 2 week sheep hunt with it? I doubt it. But a long weekend or light overnight with the possibility of packing meat out, absolutely. My plan is to buy a Tatonka bag or use a dry bag or two as a pack system.

It is not a MR, but it is a lot of pack for the money.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-22-2016, 11:43 PM
My next pack is probably going to be an Eberlestock Mainframe... Not entirely sure yet but am leaning that way. I have used a little Eberlestock since fall 2014 and still do. It works great and has held up very well to the ridiculous crap I have subjected the poor thing to!

It doesn't care and has been great! Would definitely recommend Eberlestock - I feel it's the best at anywhere near it's price point and is just as good, perhaps better than, packs costing way more. Will not be replacing my current pack, just adding to it.

BgBlkDg
12-23-2016, 03:41 AM
"Better than" a MR, or SG or SO???

Well, OK, but, I ask if you base that on actual use of some of the "packs costing way more"?

My experience is that Eberlestock packs are NOT close to MR in quality and so I disagree with your assertion.

I also would suggest a Cabela's pack, based on owning and using two of them since 1990.

moosinaround
12-23-2016, 05:36 AM
I have the cabelas Alaskan frame and pack. I like the frame, hate the pack itself. If I was to buy another, I'd look at the Tatonka, or the Barneys system, maybe even a MR, but I'm not built athletically, so I'd have to try on the MR stuff before I bought it. That Alpz stuff is shit, packed out a moose with it this year, the frame is weak, the clips /buckles broke, and the straps padding sucks and the straps pinch!! Moosin

SR80
12-23-2016, 07:34 AM
Might be worth starting to squirrel away some cash and save up for something good.

Squamch
12-23-2016, 07:51 AM
just sold a brand new one of these. i also run another version they have, love their gear. same stuff as badlands but cheeper.

I disagree with the statement comparing to badlands gear. The alpz packs I've seen and handled are not as well made, and have some stupid design features. A friend's day pack uses clips on piping to attach buckles, any significant load and they pop off.

Go to an outdoors store OP, and try a bunch of different packs...then try to find one you like used. Guys are always upgrading or trying new gear.

ajr5406
12-23-2016, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestions gents. I think I'll save some pennies and buy something of higher quality. Nothing worse than going cheap, having it fail and cause frustration, only to have to spend the money for something decent anyway.

Might also look look for a used MR pack or something similar.

Gone_Fishin_
12-23-2016, 08:32 AM

Picked up the Alpz Commander for this years moose trip when I seen it on sale. After trying on the cabelas ones I found this to be most comfortable. Though not a fan of the small rings used to switch from the bag to the frame pack but I am very impressed with it for the price I paid, ended up grabbing my buddy one as you couldn't beat the price. Hauled a whole moose out without issues. Worked amazing and would have never got that sucker out of there without a frame pack.

If your looking to save some $$ try and pick one of these up if they come on sale at Wholesalesports in Langley. I believe I got mine for 169$ I believe. The bag attachment is pretty big too with plenty of space for some decent trips into the back country.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14495419_1136256419786792_6742462071121159059_n.jp g?oh=28eef0b206ac831a9374f521e5b61588&oe=58ECE263

Weatherby Fan
12-23-2016, 08:36 AM
Ive used Camp Trails, Cabelas Alaskan Guide frame and bag, comfortable and well made for the money,

I now use a MR Nice frame and a Wolf 4500 bag, nicest pack I've ever worn but heavy at 8lbs, you can pack 40lbs all day long and at the end of the day when you take the pack off you don't feel like you've had a pack on, can't say that about any pack I've worn.

Bonz
12-23-2016, 09:33 AM
I disagree with the statement comparing to badlands gear. The alpz packs I've seen and handled are not as well made, and have some stupid design features. A friend's day pack uses clips on piping to attach buckles, any significant load and they pop off.

Go to an outdoors store OP, and try a bunch of different packs...then try to find one you like used. Guys are always upgrading or trying new gear.

well ive had 2 diff models. both 100% happy with for half the price of a badlands
going on about 5 years now of hard abuse and nothing has broken yet or torn, and im real hard on gear
ive had to carry 3/4 of a bear off an alpine with my 50 pound of camp gear in my traverse pack. 5 hours off the hill, nothing let go on mine, maybe they just had faulty clasps?
for around half the cost of badlands, i find them just fine

Salix
12-23-2016, 09:54 AM
Take a look at the llbean hunter carry all pack. Comes with a load sling and straps for tying down game. For camping, pack your gear in a large dry bag and strap it in. It's an affordable option.
Used one for a number of years packing elk, worked great but upgraded to a kifaru a year ago. Like others have indicated the higher end packs (MR, Kifaru, EXO, SG) are in a league of their own.

the_longwalker
12-23-2016, 10:37 AM
I use the SlumberJack Rail Hauler that I got at Wholesale. I have had 110lbs in it with no worries during training. It's basically a frame with a really good suspension and wings that wrap around to secure your load. When I pack gear in it, I use a lightweight Sea to Summit dry bag and sit it on the shelf. Works perfect for day hunts too, just use a smaller dry bag.

digger dogger
12-23-2016, 10:56 AM
I just picked up a barneys freighter frame and Yukon pack, at the begging of 2016 from Barneys Sports Chalet in Alaska, before was using a badlands ox frame pack and honestly, once you try a barneys all loaded up with 70-100lbs you'll be soooo happy with your purchase!! Initially it's a big cost but you'll never have to buy another pack! Badlands OX is really comfortable and decent price and amazing warranty, I tried the Wilderness Wonder frames and couldn't imagine coming out heavy with one, if you can try on multiple packs, and if possible put some weight in it!! Good luck dude!

I have a wilderness wanderer, when i first bought it, i thought OH NO, what did i just burn 750$ on???
A friend, with a WW, help me set it up, "properly".
It is an awesome pack, for really heavy loads.
Buuuttt,,, their buckles do wear, and break, eventually.

ajr, the odd WW, shows up used, and cheap in the buy/sell forum.
Worth a look for sure.
Merry Christmas.

krazy
12-23-2016, 11:10 AM
For those asking about the F1 ...

I trialed an Eberlestock F1 Main Frame this last season coupled with a Spike Camp Duffle & LP1 Top Lid/Fanny Pack. My requirements were for day trips with minimal gear and the option to get game out on the first trip back. I also wanted the modularity/flexibility of being able to drop the pack and continue out with just essentials (Top Lid/Fanny) in the event of and emergency (injury,etc.). My conclusion ... not bad. It certainly carried better than the other Eberlestock bags that I have tested (X1A1, X2, M5 Team Elk, J34 Just One). Also Better than the MR Crew Cab (without load lifter extensions) and all other internal frame bags that I have tried (I have not tried any other MR bags or Kifaru, etc ...) I have not tried any of the bigger external frame packs as my goal was to stay as small as possible for my needs but I'm sure they would be just as capable if not even more so.

With respect to quality the Eberlestocks are built like a brick shit house, just as strong IMO as any other packs out there including the big names. As for design however, I think they are a hair under the likes of MR, Kifaru, etc.. I think they could do a better job with their waist belt but it was pretty comfortable with a load on even though I had to stop and re tighten the belt every once in a while.

I'm not sure what the pack weight was but it included 2 bone in back quarters, 2 back straps, 2 tender loins, neck meat from both sides and the entire head (which I would have left behind had someone in my family not "borrowed" my pack saw and not returned it before my trip :???: ). The duffel contains some extra clothing, 65mm spotter and kill kit. The Top Lid holds a bit of safety gear and some snacks and there is also extra ammo, water, camera and range finder on the belt. And yes I know the rifle would have been better placed along side of the pack but I opted to try and keep it from getting too messy lol ... it worked out :)

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/F119.jpg

I purchased all of this a couple years back so the prices were a bit better but today this setup would be about $350 before taxes/shipping (Warriors & Wonders). So prob half? the price of the bigger name packs. Will they offer $300ish better carry? I guess that's subjective but for me it carried well enough (with a weight that I will never exceed) that I would be hard pressed to convince myself to spend the extra money.

PS ... I (OK my wife :) ) made a few mods that without may not have resulted in the same conclusion. We sewed tab loops around the entire frame which allowed multiple additional attachment points to secure the meat to the frame without having to compress the Duffel to do so. She also sewed internal side pockets, a back pocket and external daisy chains onto the duffel for organization and to help secure the duffel with just the straps (or even just one strap if you needed the other two for meat) once it's unzipperd from the main frame. I know this is not the place for this detail but just wanted to be clear that without the extra attachment points (which should come standard on the pack IMO) I would most likely not be as happy with it. Please feel free to PM if anyone has any questions on the mods.

Salty
12-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Have you looked at the tatonka lasternaxe?

Ya just yesterday its in my basement :) No experience yet other than it contained a crammed load of stuff when I moved off the island a few months back. Seems well built for the price the frame is beefy I would break before it by the looks of things and its comfortable. Pic is just the frame I bought the matching bag too. I wanted a big pack board system for getting a moose out but knowing my day pack would be used 90% of the time for most hunting I do and this very little I didn't want to spend top dollar. I'm happy with the choice.

http://www.tatonka.com/img/if/1200/1130331a.jpg

RiverOtter
12-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions gents. I think I'll save some pennies and buy something of higher quality. Nothing worse than going cheap, having it fail and cause frustration, only to have to spend the money for something decent anyway.

Might also look look for a used MR pack or something similar.

Can't go wrong with a used MR, I was actually planning on going that route before I found the Cabelas Alaskan. That said, I was looking for a meat freighter, first and foremost, so interchangeable bag systems were not an issue. If you do go MR, get the load lifter extensions, if not, you'd be further ahead with the Cabelas. Seriously, they are way better than their price point and are a great pack for utility and a comfortable way to ssve abuse on a high dollar pack.

Kopper
12-23-2016, 01:03 PM
The Tatonka is a solid pack/frame set up. Been using the set up since high school so about 6ish years of abuse. It has handled any fall with or without load and held up great.

I frequently do solo 3 day weekend benders; while the amount of gear one has is person dependent I don't have a lot of vacant storage space on those trips (70L bag) with less dense materials. Throw in a goat and you're strapping stuff to the outside like mad and that's after cutting away basically all inedible tendons/skin/bones/etc.

For strictly a meat hauler it would be excellent. As you can fit the cleaned up meat and cape of a mid sized animal with alittle room to spare (again person dependent on the processing). Regarding dense material (meat) you can put easily 100+lbs in the bag; probably as much as an average person could carry properly.

The Tatonka is a good set up but it has its limitations. A 70L (about 4300 CI if my converter is right) bag is what it is. Biggest thing holding it back is the bag space IMO, the frame can take it. Just my opinion and experience hope it helps. This pack is a great bang for your buck and more but I foresee a Stone Glacier 6000+CI in my future. Cheers.

roymil
12-23-2016, 01:09 PM
Exomtngear , light , titanium frame, comfortable

RiverOtter
12-23-2016, 01:13 PM
No flies on the Tatanka frame either, just no Canadian distributor currently. Unless that's changed since September.

Baconator
12-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Best pack I ever bought, is the Tatonka I bought for my eldest son. He is 6-6, stong as a bull and maybe as smart. After I load him up there is not too much left for the old man. My only fear is he might find out about MR or Barneys and then I will be out a few bucks. Until that day all is good!

warnniklz
12-23-2016, 03:03 PM
The Tatonka is a solid pack/frame set up. Been using the set up since high school so about 6ish years of abuse. It has handled any fall with or without load and held up great.

I frequently do solo 3 day weekend benders; while the amount of gear one has is person dependent I don't have a lot of vacant storage space on those trips (70L bag) with less dense materials. Throw in a goat and you're strapping stuff to the outside like mad and that's after cutting away basically all inedible tendons/skin/bones/etc.

For strictly a meat hauler it would be excellent. As you can fit the cleaned up meat and cape of a mid sized animal with a little room to spare (again person dependent on the processing). Regarding dense material (meat) you can put easily 100+lbs in the bag; probably as much as an average person could carry properly.

The Tatonka is a good set up but it has its limitations. A 70L (about 4300 CI if my converter is right) bag is what it is. Biggest thing holding it back is the bag space IMO, the frame can take it. Just my opinion and experience hope it helps. This pack is a great bang for your buck and more but I foresee a Stone Glacier 6000+CI in my future. Cheers.

Ya just yesterday its in my basement :) No experience yet other than it contained a crammed load of stuff when I moved off the island a few months back. Seems well built for the price the frame is beefy I would break before it by the looks of things and its comfortable. Pic is just the frame I bought the matching bag too. I wanted a big pack board system for getting a moose out but knowing my day pack would be used 90% of the time for most hunting I do and this very little I didn't want to spend top dollar. I'm happy with the choice.

No flies on the Tatanka frame either, just no Canadian distributor currently. Unless that's changed since September.

Back in 2012, my brother and myself forced our dad to retire his old trapper nelson... partly because he hadn't bought a new pack since him and Vince Nelson use to fight bears in grade 3. The other part is I want it for future taxidermy projects. Anyways, we bought him a tatonka set-up. He uses it often on day trips and weekend warrior trips. It'll also work if I do drag him into the mountains for critters. His only complaints are the nylon on the pack sack itself is a little noisey, especially when frosty. The other complaint is hiking with his rifle on his shoulder with the pack on. Kind of knocks against the frame. So now we gotta get him either a safari sling or a scabbard. I think he'll like the sling better.

ajr5406
12-23-2016, 03:20 PM
How many of you guys actually use these type of large packs for day trips etc? Obviously if your doing a camp out and need to hike in gear etc, but what about a day trip with a hike into your hunting grounds?

KBC
12-23-2016, 04:29 PM
I have been eyeing one of these for a little while, Anyone have any experience with them? They seem to have good reviews.
https://outdoorsmans.com/collections/od-packs-accessories/products/coyote-brown-outdoorsmans-optics-hunter-pack-system

warnniklz
12-23-2016, 04:59 PM
How many of you guys actually use these type of large packs for day trips etc? Obviously if your doing a camp out and need to hike in gear etc, but what about a day trip with a hike into your hunting grounds?

Depends on how far from the truck I'm hunting. And what animals I'm hunting. If there's a chance I have to pack a deer uphill, my J107 pack is coming with me.

srupp
12-23-2016, 05:34 PM
Hmmm have used the Cabelas outfitters pack for well over 10 years..stone sheep, moose, deer, bear still going strong..was used on a 1500 pound Alaskan Yukon moose this year...
Is it the best..no..it was within my budget..and has pleasantly surprised me. There is a pretty substantial difference between my hunting partner and myself..it adjusts so Tim can use it also .
I was incredibly impressed with the Tattonka" built like a tank..i tried the Barney..it didn't fit my budget..lol.
Depending on usage..Greg..BCRAMS, SSS for mountain hunting..
However for just plain knowledge AND experience with high end gear..Dewey on this site bgblkdg"...knows his gear none better I MO
cheers
Steven

Kopper
12-23-2016, 05:45 PM

Personally, I almost always carry the frame pack if I'm on day trips where I'm farther than say an hour from the truck. Otherwise it's in the truck and I'll come back for it. Really really don't like throwing quarters over my shoulder, slinging a gun and hiking kms down steep canyons or navigate around cliffs. IMO those frame packs are very comfy with day trip weight; far more than an unframed daypack jammed with meat! Others preferences may vary.....

Weatherby Fan
12-23-2016, 06:09 PM

Yes I usually wear my Mystery Ranch if I'm going all day, if I'm just with in an short walk to the truck or bike l use a small daypack.

Salty
12-23-2016, 08:32 PM

My day pack is an X2 Eberlestock so its a little frame pack itself and can pack a decent sized deer and I'm mainly a deer hunter so its the go to. The Tatonka is recent and will be used for moose hunts or if I do an over nighter.

Sitkaspruce
12-23-2016, 09:14 PM
My day pack is an Old Blacks Creek Canadian, which can expand to 3200 and pack out elk quarters if needed, but can compress down to 1800 for day hunts.

In the truck is the Tatanka frame only for packing if needed. I love this frame for meat hauling, hauling 50 lb of grain or salt and had hauled out a few moose/elk. Greta pack frame, no experience with the bag.

What ever you do, try to find a few different ones that yiu can try on and see what fits you. I took me a few weeks of trying different packs for strictly meat hauling before picking the Tatanka.

Cheers

SS

Thunderstix
12-23-2016, 10:23 PM

There are many stores that carry Tatonka frames and bags.

HarryToolips
12-23-2016, 10:28 PM
Every time for me, wherever I go hunting, if I get something I'll be a packing out so why not, it's comfortable, and then I always have everything I need with me...I only use an Alps Commander and pack, cheaper than the ones listed thus far, but it does the job..

ajr5406
12-23-2016, 10:41 PM
There are many stores that carry Tatonka frames and bags.

Where in BC can you buy them?

warnniklz
12-23-2016, 10:58 PM
Where in BC can you buy them?

Surplus herbies

RiverOtter
12-23-2016, 11:19 PM
Regularly, as it's set up with a gun bearer and I hardly know it's there with a light load. A few extra items gives "Change of Plans" options on the fly as well. Many a morning hunt has turned into a hike out in the dark if sign is good.

12-23-2016, 11:49 PM
"Better than" a MR, or SG or SO???

Well, OK, but, I ask if you base that on actual use of some of the "packs costing way more"?

My experience is that Eberlestock packs are NOT close to MR in quality and so I disagree with your assertion.

I also would suggest a Cabela's pack, based on owning and using two of them since 1990.

That's SO shitty Bro! We've had different experiences with packs.

I did use two others I am not mentioning just in case I got a bad two. Then the next three are based on my interpretation of the experiences of friends, for want of a better term.

12-23-2016, 11:54 PM
I have the cabelas Alaskan frame and pack. I like the frame, hate the pack itself. If I was to buy another, I'd look at the Tatonka, or the Barneys system, maybe even a MR, but I'm not built athletically, so I'd have to try on the MR stuff before I bought it. That Alpz stuff is shit, packed out a moose with it this year, the frame is weak, the clips /buckles broke, and the straps padding sucks and the straps pinch!! Moosin

I saw this thing and would use it, yet haven't used 'em, which is why I have not mentioned the things. Bet they're good though, would try!

P.S. ~

Sounds like cutting the crap off the frame would solve the issue as well as starting at least a few camp el feugos. I love to cut stuff&things, so did so to the fabric (and then used for tinder) off a pack, can not recall the brand... Cuz it was indeed burned into none other than heat and light... Gratefully so! Alright, do up your own shit as I do mine, likewise.

EVERYBODY - Know how to build a travois, sled or some such convieyance in the off chance that your pack system should fail. Should there be an alternative to packing - take it. Take it easy on yourself should ya get such a chance friends.

BgBlkDg
12-24-2016, 06:43 AM
You are going to USE a "travois" in BC mountain hunting and to bring out an elk or maybe a moose?

I do NOT mean to be offensive, but, I was born, raised and have more than 60 years of very active experience, working and recreating in the mountains of BC and western Alberta, so, would ask just how much actual mountain hunting you have done?

AS to the query above concerning carrying packs on short day hunts, I ALWAYS carry an "emergency" or "siwash" camp and the tools and so on to carry out meat from the kill site to my vehicle, horse or whatever. I usually used various IF type packs for this and have built up a modded Seek Outside Divide pack since July, 2015, which I now use on any hunt I can physically do.

I sold all except one of my MR packs, also my older Dana Gleason packs, except an original Bozeman-built Dana Design Shortbed, now customized to my specs and that is the only frame pack I have left and it will do the rest of my days.

So, I have one big frame pack, the superb SO hybrid Divide, a Badlands Monster Fanny for Texada and a Cabela's large soft ruck, all I will ever need.

From the dozens of packs I owned since 1965, when I started working and thus could buy my own gear, the best I have had were/are the original Dana Design packs, and the Seek Outside. For hunting, I would choose a Seek Outside Revolution over any now on the market that I have seen and that is most of them.

JMHO, but based on some considerable experience. If I wanted a heavyduty traditional frame, I would buy a Barneys, and damn the cost, the utility is worth it.

Cyrus
12-24-2016, 07:34 AM
another vote for tatonka. as stated above herbies sell them.

Thunderstix
12-24-2016, 07:35 AM
Trappers Den in Fort Nelson, Back Country in Fort St.John, Seasport in Prince Rupert....and those are just the ones I recall....

Weatherby Fan
12-24-2016, 08:28 AM
Ajr5406

before you drive all over the country looking for an external frame pack, do yourself a favour and go to Cabelas and try on the Alaskan Guide frame pack and then you'll have some reference when you look at a Tatonka or a Barneys, I think you will be surprised at the Barneys being very similar to the Alaskan Guide frame but at twice the cost or more, and in my opinion no better.

ajr5406
12-24-2016, 08:51 AM
Ajr5406

before you drive all over the country looking for an external frame pack, do yourself a favour and go to Cabelas and try on the Alaskan Guide frame pack and then you'll have some reference when you look at a Tatonka or a Barneys, I think you will be surprised at the Barneys being very similar to the Alaskan Guide frame but at twice the cost or more, and in my opinion no better.

Good plan. I have already tried it on and like it a lot. I also have some Cabelas gift cards burning a hole in my pocket that will cover the costs of this pack. I'll probably try on a few of the above mentioned packs to compare to the Alaskan to see if anything stands out as being WAY better, but due to the fact that I won't be spending my own coin, the Alaskan is leading so far.

BgBlkDg
12-24-2016, 08:55 AM
Most of the frame packs are take-offs on the original Camptrails design from the '60s and the Barney's, Cabela's and many others are from the old CT Freighter, which we all used for many years.

I had two and three other CT frames, two of which succumbed to severe use on BCFS L/Os and Kootenay elk hunting. I gave the CTFs away when I bought my first MR pack.

The real difference between these is not only price, the major one is quality of materials and the Barney's uses far superior materials, which is why it costs much more. The MR packs compared with Eberlestock, etc, side by side, also show this and so one just has to choose what he feels is workable for his needs and go with that.

I have broken more than one pack and tend to buy the best with cost as a minimal concern. However, choices now are better than when I started and seem to be getting even better.

ajr5406
12-24-2016, 09:10 AM
Most of the frame packs are take-offs on the original Camptrails design from the '60s and the Barney's, Cabela's and many others are from the old CT Freighter, which we all used for many years.

I had two and three other CT frames, two of which succumbed to severe use on BCFS L/Os and Kootenay elk hunting. I gave the CTFs away when I bought my first MR pack.

The real difference between these is not only price, the major one is quality of materials and the Barney's uses far superior materials, which is why it costs much more. The MR packs compared with Eberlestock, etc, side by side, also show this and so one just has to choose what he feels is workable for his needs and go with that.

I have broken more than one pack and tend to buy the best with cost as a minimal concern. However, choices now are better than when I started and seem to be getting even better.

All good points - thanks.

As as I have a young family, my hunting time and opportunities are limited so I don't mind getting something more basic and then upgrading to something really nice, like the MR packs down the track. I bit the bullet this year and got some really nice boots, based on many great recommendations on HBC. As my kids grow and I am able to hunt a lot more, hopefully with them, I'll certainly be looking at more serious gear. Boots really couldn't wait though, as we all seem to agree.

Ratso
12-24-2016, 09:29 AM
One more vote for tatonka...I've packed out moose, elk, deer in pretty much every type of terrain with no problems. I like the stable base that stands upright even with a load and makes a good warm chair when sitting a while. I always strap a daypack to mine on any hunt.

roymil
12-24-2016, 01:49 PM
Tatonkas are great if you are willing to modify them. The upright is in the way if you ever want to sit on a steep hillside without taking the pack off, just doesn't work. Also of you are going to be crawling around rock bluffs, etc while goat hunting be very careful because if you have to turn with your back to the rock that solid shelve will say hey bad idea :). Nothing a little cutting and removing some aluminum won't cure though.

srupp
12-24-2016, 04:53 PM
The Barneys at WSsbc"..was the most comfortable pack I ever tried.
The Tattonka was the BEAST..carry a fridge..loaded..lol..
However the Cabelas guide model has worked exceptionally well for me..never ripped, no welds have let go..all seems intact..
When it was time to pack bear out for the Wounded Warrior hunt..it was this pack that got the nod...VPN of wild tv did the hauling he even remarked on how comfortable it was to haul a load.
If you are through Williams Lake you are invited for a coffee and see how well this pack has stood up..coming out of the Muskwa" in 2009 loaded with my only stone sheep..100 pound load..pack handled it well..me? Not so much..
It has repeatable hauled hind quarters of 1500 pound moose tied to the frame..no problems.
Cheers
Srupp

ajr5406
12-24-2016, 07:18 PM
The Barneys at WSsbc"..was the most comfortable pack I ever tried.
The Tattonka was the BEAST..carry a fridge..loaded..lol..
However the Cabelas guide model has worked exceptionally well for me..never ripped, no welds have let go..all seems intact..
When it was time to pack bear out for the Wounded Warrior hunt..it was this pack that got the nod...VPN of wild tv did the hauling he even remarked on how comfortable it was to haul a load.
If you are through Williams Lake you are invited for a coffee and see how well this pack has stood up..coming out of the Muskwa" in 2009 loaded with my only stone sheep..100 pound load..pack handled it well..me? Not so much..
It has repeatable hauled hind quarters of 1500 pound moose tied to the frame..no problems.
Cheers
Srupp

If i make my way to WL, I'd love to take you up on your offer! Got a buddy up there in the RCMP so may come up and visit his family next hunting season.

merry Christmas!

Squamch
12-25-2016, 09:33 AM
well ive had 2 diff models. both 100% happy with for half the price of a badlands
going on about 5 years now of hard abuse and nothing has broken yet or torn, and im real hard on gear
ive had to carry 3/4 of a bear off an alpine with my 50 pound of camp gear in my traverse pack. 5 hours off the hill, nothing let go on mine, maybe they just had faulty clasps?
for around half the cost of badlands, i find them just fine

My buddy has the 2200 knockoff, the chest strap is a C shaped clip, clipped onto piping. Fair enough if they work for you, but my limited experience has left me unimpressed.

Squamch
12-25-2016, 09:46 AM

I hiked 3km from my truck this fall, shot a good sized blacktail, and was filled with regret that I didnt bring my big pack. I will never hunt solo with a day pack again.

kootenaycarver
12-25-2016, 11:28 AM
I have used Wilderness Wanderer packs since 1988, both the original version and the later edition. Back pack 20+ days a year with no issues. Some extremely heavy meat trips, always worked well and felt as "good" as a 100 lbs. on your back can feel. At my age, I don't think I'll be changing.

ajr5406
12-26-2016, 04:28 PM
Ajr5406

Do you mean the frame only one http://www.cabelas.ca/product/856/cabelas-alaskan-outfitter-frame-and-harness-only, or the frame with pack http://www.cabelas.ca/product/60834/cabelas-alaskan-i-pack-and-frame

im guessing they have the same frame system?

Weatherby Fan
12-26-2016, 04:51 PM
Yes sir same frame system, I see they changed the name from Alaskan Guide to Alaskan Outfitter, for $20 more you get the bag !

12-26-2016, 09:27 PM
You are going to USE a "travois" in BC mountain hunting and to bring out an elk or maybe a moose?

Yes! I just rig it up with shorter poles, which does make it way more maneuverable yet somewhat heavier weight on the hauler. As always I keep the weight as low to the ground as possible. Mountain travois are a thing. Furthermore, there are many places in the province that are flat enough to easily use a plains/traditional style travois.

P.S.- To each their own! No offense taken, your opinion is appreciated.

12-26-2016, 09:30 PM
I have used Wilderness Wanderer packs since 1988, both the original version and the later edition. Back pack 20+ days a year with no issues. Some extremely heavy meat trips, always worked well and felt as "good" as a 100 lbs. on your back can feel. At my age, I don't think I'll be changing.

I have noticed ads for the Wilderness Wander in the BCH&T Synopsis for a very long while now. Always thought they looked like a great choice. May well try one, shall see! Thanks for the recommendation.

Squamch
12-26-2016, 10:51 PM
Yes! I just rig it up with shorter poles, which does make it way more maneuverable yet somewhat heavier weight on the hauler. As always I keep the weight as low to the ground as possible. Mountain travois are a thing. Furthermore, there are many places in the province that are flat enough to easily use a plains/traditional style travois.

P.S.- To each their own! No offense taken, your opinion is appreciated.

I tried that this year, just to make dragging a deer down a road easier. Dismal failure, I definitely wouldn't recommend it!

Backwoods
12-27-2016, 08:12 AM
I hiked 3km from my truck this fall, shot a good sized blacktail, and was filled with regret that I didnt bring my big pack. I will never hunt solo with a day pack again.
X2 hahaha I'll always use my Barneys Yukon and freighter frame for every trip out!!! I'll keep my other badlands for buddies that join me on hunts

ajr5406
12-27-2016, 10:21 AM
X2 hahaha I'll always use my Barneys Yukon and freighter frame for every trip out!!! I'll keep my other badlands for buddies that join me on hunts

Your doing it all wrong - you should really make your buddies carry the frame pack! ��