PDA

View Full Version : Deer Cull Approved in Grand Forks, Opinions?

Linksman313
12-21-2016, 11:51 AM
Hi all and Merry Christmas, for my first thread I figured I would start with something happening in my own backyard (literally!). What do you think of this solution? At town council meetings I have attended the complaints about WT in town have ranged from motor vehicle collisions to beating up domesticated pets, chewing out gardens and shrubbery, even complaints about kids playing in deer poop in the yard. I have personally observed many of these WT moving in from the south (right across the U.S. border that frames the south end of town - Yes cue the Trump references here). Would especially like to hear from our more senior/experienced contributors on the behaviors and reasons these deer are moving into and residing in town through 3-4 generations despite the last few winters being reasonably mild and no forest fires to drive them in this year (thankfully).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/grand-forks-seeks-to-cull-surging-deer-population/article1212389/

Bonz
12-21-2016, 11:57 AM
its from august few years ago

.308SLAYER
12-21-2016, 12:04 PM
They know there's nobody shooting at them In town aswell I can guarantee there is a handful of people who feed the deer.

Linksman313
12-21-2016, 12:27 PM
My apologies the new article is here:http://boundarysentinel.com/news/grand-forks-receives-approval-2016-urban-deer-grant-43338#.WFrXYk0zXcs

Everett
12-21-2016, 12:35 PM
Good on Grand Forks council for having the balls to do something about the problem. My town is ignoring it, do to very vocal minority most of which don't even live in town. Its going to be really ugly the first time a kid is injured or killed by an aggressive deer in town.

Everett
12-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Oh and for those that think relocation is a great idea. Last years relocation trial has been a miserable failure. Deer travelled large distances to get back to urban environments and there has been over %36 mortality of collared does and that is just from the amount of collars they have recovered the real number is probably over %50. It also cost 3 times as much per deer to relocate as to kill a deer.

wideopenthrottle
12-21-2016, 12:42 PM
they need to let them sober up properly from the tranquillizers before they release them...I know when I get really drunk I always seem to try to walk home even if it is many miles....heheheheh

Surrey Boy
12-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Urban hunting is the answer.

HarryToolips
12-21-2016, 01:00 PM
^^^^^yup, bow only would be awesome, though I'm sure there will be many who will have a problem with this..

Canuck2
12-21-2016, 01:14 PM
I've been a Grand Forks resident for 43 years, so have seen this evolve over the years. My perspective is that the gradually increasing lobby to cull town deer is largely pushed by more recent arrivals who want things to be the same as where they came from (read 'city slickers'). Quite frankly, I don't consider the deer to be a problem and my attitude is that they should be enjoyed rather than seen as something to get rid of. I have also been to council meetings where this issue has been kicked around. With the plethora of electronic gadgets to amuse us these days, I suppose interaction with wildlife isn't cool. We didn't want them in the garden so found a simple solution called a fence. Don't like hitting them with the car either (never have) so we pay attention while we drive, a novel concept, I know. There is definitely a split camp on this, with one faction wanting the deer gone and the other side liking them there. I like them but what I don't like is problems being made where problems really don't exist. Want the less hectic rural/small town life? Enjoy what nature has to offer.

Backwoods
12-21-2016, 01:39 PM
Maybe they should bring some of these wolves out of the peace country into GF!! Umm maybe bad idea when they did that before taking an alpha wolf from the peace region to Yellowstone it got a bit out of control!!! Lol!! I enjoyed growing up camping and bmxing in GF seeing all them WT!!! Going for shed hunts on Easter!!! Good times! -Backwoods

J_T
12-21-2016, 01:41 PM
Oh and for those that think relocation is a great idea. Last years relocation trial has been a miserable failure. Deer travelled large distances to get back to urban environments and there has been over %36 mortality of collared does and that is just from the amount of collars they have recovered the real number is probably over %50. It also cost 3 times as much per deer to relocate as to kill a deer.
Yes, some interesting stats in that effort. I think it surprised almost everyone.

^^^^^yup, bow only would be awesome, though I'm sure there will be many who will have a problem with this..We looked at this extensively for Kimberley. The image of all hunters is at risk with this. There is much more to consider than just reducing deer numbers. 1) the deer are not considered as a Crown resource, so how does one get a tag? A municipal tag? 2) what hunter wants to compromise a wild tag, by doing a municipality a favour by taking a deer and risking his image? 3) how does trespass impact this effort? 4) we looked at pre-determined locations for stands and bait sites, 5) what do you do with the waste (entrails) after a kill? 6) What happens when it goes south, an arrowed deer dies on the front steps of the local school and the municipality and Government hang hunters out to take the blame 7) How is the anti group managed during this 'cull/hunt'? Video will be running full time. Social media would likely be filled with it.

rocksteady
12-21-2016, 01:43 PM
If it truly is an issue, behind it 100%.

If its just some curmudgeon complaining cause the deer eat his turnips cause hes too lazy to fence.. 0%..

If its people dogs getting beat up when they take them for walks -- Keep the dog on a leash, as the bylaws says you have to...

Education is more valuable than euthanasia.. Ie.. Teach the school kids what a doe looks like and when not to be going near them (cause they have newborn fawns).. Teach the older generation to stop feeding them.. Teach motorists to watch out for them..

rocksteady
12-21-2016, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=HarryToolips;1860361]^^^^^yup, CROSSbow only would be awesome, QUOTE]

FIXED IT FOR YA.... :)

Cause they are pinpoint accurate out to 200 yards...

Big Lew
12-21-2016, 01:46 PM
I've stayed in several towns where deer are very tame and all over the place.
Like "Canuck2", I really don't see why some have such a problem with it.
Kids and pets can learn to adapt to their presence, drivers as well. All too often
many drivers are driving far too fast within town or city limits anyway. That deer
they hit could have been a child. About the only real problem that is hard to
adjust to is the increased possibility of being bitten by a lymes infected tick.

Spy
12-21-2016, 01:47 PM
Urban hunting is the answer.
X2 its working great on the Island, not so great in Oak Bay where they refused the help of bow hunters.

Elkaholic
12-21-2016, 01:48 PM
If it truly is an issue, behind it 100%.

If its just some curmudgeon complaining cause the deer eat his turnips cause hes too lazy to fence.. 0%..

If its people dogs getting beat up when they take them for walks -- Keep the dog on a leash, as the bylaws says you have to...

Education is more valuable than euthanasia.. Ie.. Teach the school kids what a doe looks like and when not to be going near them (cause they have newborn fawns).. Teach the older generation to stop feeding them.. Teach motorists to watch out for them..

Hey now, you need to quit with all this common sense stuff. People are supposed to use their brains? BTW I agree with you 100% lol

Jack Russell
12-21-2016, 02:27 PM
I've been a Grand Forks resident for 43 years, so have seen this evolve over the years. My perspective is that the gradually increasing lobby to cull town deer is largely pushed by more recent arrivals who want things to be the same as where they came from (read 'city slickers'). Quite frankly, I don't consider the deer to be a problem and my attitude is that they should be enjoyed rather than seen as something to get rid of. I have also been to council meetings where this issue has been kicked around. With the plethora of electronic gadgets to amuse us these days, I suppose interaction with wildlife isn't cool. We didn't want them in the garden so found a simple solution called a fence. Don't like hitting them with the car either (never have) so we pay attention while we drive, a novel concept, I know. There is definitely a split camp on this, with one faction wanting the deer gone and the other side liking them there. I like them but what I don't like is problems being made where problems really don't exist. Want the less hectic rural/small town life? Enjoy what nature has to offer.

I agree with this. Learn to live with them and enjoy seeing them. As much as I hate watching a buck rip apart a really nice young tree (or 3) in our yard, I also appreciate he's doing what he's always done. The payoff is in June when you see the first little bundles of spots prancing around - love looking for them. It sure removes the rat-race pace of urban life.

Surrey Boy
12-21-2016, 02:30 PM
^^^^^yup, bow only would be awesome, though I'm sure there will be many who will have a problem with this..

I did quite well with a crossbow, but in some jurisdictions it's suppressed rifle only.

btridge
12-21-2016, 03:11 PM
Well said.

Dannybuoy
12-21-2016, 03:15 PM

Great post !

Everett
12-21-2016, 03:25 PM
Big thing that is overlooked is predators follow the dear into town as well. The argument Rock that you should keep your dog on leash and they will be safe is false most of the dogs that have been attacked have been on leash.

SSG-man
12-21-2016, 03:53 PM
Needs to be done in several community's, specially here on the island. Hammond Bay in the mid island area has a cougar problem now because of abundance of deer.
Wait for some kid to be dragged off by a cougar and you will see action on this matter
ICBC can just raise rates regarding the impacts with deer

J_06
12-21-2016, 04:36 PM

boxhitch
12-21-2016, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=HarryToolips;1860361]Cause they are pinpoint accurate out to 200 yards...Need a sarc- icon )

palmer
12-21-2016, 07:04 PM
I have lived here for about 40 years. The deer numbers are no different than 40 years ago. What is happening is that large areas that were open fields have been fenced to grow ornamental trees and NO HUNTING allowed, where before all these areas were hunted. Slowly the deer are being pushed into smaller and smaller areas. The other problem is people here are spoiled and only have wildlife to bitch about, its either Bears, Deer or Turkeys. I read here about the lower mainland, your problems with drug users stealing everything that is not nailed down. I leave all my stuff in my driveway and nothing ever goes missing, I guess the deer don't want to steal my truck. Maybe we will bring some of those people here for the locals to bitch about
The deer have been in these valleys for decades and hopefully will be here for decades to come for us to enjoy and to hunt. Its all about people moving to the country but not wanting to interact with the wildlife. As Canuck 2 said, I have never had a problem with any wildlife. I keep my dogs under control and fenced part of my lawn to keep the dogs and kids behind. I feel I am blessed to live in an area with such abundant of wildlife and enjoy it everyday.
Now if the GOV. wants to cull Wolves, Cougars and Bears and Yotes....I am all in favour...I have never seen as much sign as I have in the last few years.

Walksalot
12-22-2016, 08:24 AM
Where in the problem lies with the deer in the residential areas is there is no predation. With this,deer loose their fear of man and share top of the food chain status. The does will develop more of a fight than flight behavior when they have a fawn. I have experienced this first hand. More than once I have had a doe with a fawn lay her ears back and advance toward me in an aggressive manner. It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when someone will be injured or worse by an aggressive doe exhibiting maternal instinct. Then the attitude will be kill them, kill them all. We tend to forget these are wild animals.

rocksteady
12-22-2016, 08:28 AM
The argument Rock that you should keep your dog on leash and they will be safe is false most of the dogs that have been attacked have been on leash.

For a lot of years no one walked their dogs on leashes, I wonder how much of hating dogs is "learned behaviour" in deer? Momma got harassed by off leash dogs over the years, taught her fawns that they were the enemy and they passed that along??

Linksman313
12-22-2016, 08:40 AM
Maybe they should bring some of these wolves out of the peace country into GF!! Umm maybe bad idea when they did that before taking an alpha wolf from the peace region to Yellowstone it got a bit out of control!!! Lol!! I enjoyed growing up camping and bmxing in GF seeing all them WT!!! Going for shed hunts on Easter!!! Good times! -Backwoods

Don't know if you've been back to town for awhile but the wolves are already here, 30km North of town the sledders are reporting sightings almost every weekend. My brother and I are planning a cull of our own this winter!!

GoatGuy
12-22-2016, 08:45 AM
It's a learned behaviour.

One generation and you have town deer.

Only way to manage town deer is to shoot them.

GetLethal
12-22-2016, 09:26 AM
I love seeing the deer in GF. That being said I see deer in town every time i drive through without fail. I could definitely see them being a problem for the locals. It would be nice to see all of the culled deer meat being utilized.

Backwoods
12-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Don't know if you've been back to town for awhile but the wolves are already here, 30km North of town the sledders are reporting sightings almost every weekend. My brother and I are planning a cull of our own this winter!!
Linksman313 I haven't had a chance to get back down there for some years now, and now being in Northern BC, its a good trek across the province! Yah I was being sarcastic, province wide, if there is good numbers of game (food) there are those pesky wolves!! Good to hear your going to get out and do your part!!! Best of luck and hope to see some pics!!

Linksman313
12-28-2016, 03:04 PM
I have lived here for about 40 years. The deer numbers are no different than 40 years ago. What is happening is that large areas that were open fields have been fenced to grow ornamental trees and NO HUNTING allowed, where before all these areas were hunted. Slowly the deer are being pushed into smaller and smaller areas. The other problem is people here are spoiled and only have wildlife to bitch about, its either Bears, Deer or Turkeys. I read here about the lower mainland, your problems with drug users stealing everything that is not nailed down. I leave all my stuff in my driveway and nothing ever goes missing, I guess the deer don't want to steal my truck. Maybe we will bring some of those people here for the locals to bitch about
The deer have been in these valleys for decades and hopefully will be here for decades to come for us to enjoy and to hunt. Its all about people moving to the country but not wanting to interact with the wildlife. As Canuck 2 said, I have never had a problem with any wildlife. I keep my dogs under control and fenced part of my lawn to keep the dogs and kids behind. I feel I am blessed to live in an area with such abundant of wildlife and enjoy it everyday.
Now if the GOV. wants to cull Wolves, Cougars and Bears and Yotes....I am all in favour...I have never seen as much sign as I have in the last few years.

I wish deer numbers were the same as 40 years ago. Saw some pics through the holidays at my buddy's Grampa's and man The Mulies!!!
I know what you are saying though and agree on the Predator sign 100%

fuzzy 63
01-01-2017, 11:00 AM
morning , my parents live in town in Cranbrook and have had the same family of whitetails living in their front yard and having twice had fawns in the alcove under the porch . A good size three point tends this herd and show zero signs of fear of anything . I think that ultimately there will be some problems with this as the high school is about a block away and two years back a couger had a kill some mere meters from the fencing of the school grounds . I wrote about this a couple of months ago and some asshat suggested I was probably at some game farm . maybe I was and just didn't put it into perspective .
I don't know what is a proper solution could be , but this just does not seem right . I hope the GF cull has some benefit for all concerned , mostly the deer .
Cliff

j270wsm
01-01-2017, 11:17 AM
My sister lives in grand forks( bought grandma's house) and she always has deer in and around her house. When I was a kid we rarely seen deer. Regardless of the loss of farm land/green spaces around grand forks, the deer have learned that their safe in town and will continue to live with in the city limits.

Is a cull the best option........maybe not but what are the other options.

The Hermit
01-01-2017, 12:06 PM
X2 its working great on the Island, not so great in Oak Bay where they refused the help of bow hunters.

A few years ago we had HUNDREDS of deer (perhaps a 1000) in the rural/urban boundaries in Greater Victoria. Most of these deer are in the ALR and causing an aggregate of hundreds of thousands of dollars in crop damage. Today in two of the ALR zones, those numbers are significantly reduced due to an ongoing effort to cull them. Note that I am talking bowhunting on multiple 20+ acre properties not next door to a Starbucks and LuLu Lemon.

When it comes to truly urban/city/town deer I refer you back to what J_T said above and would add that IMHO bow hunters sure don't need the negative press that would come from that shit show! If the decision comes to culling in places like Oak Bay then it should be trap and pneumatic bolt and nothing to do with bowhunting.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-01-2017, 12:56 PM
^^^^^yup, bow only would be awesome, though I'm sure there will be many who will have a problem with this..Definitely not bow only, could certainly be Bow/Shot. Urban Hunting is a thing in some jurisdictions, works well and makes money as opposed to being costly. Liability insurance/special course or whatever rigamarole could be required to appease reasonable members of the populace who may complain about Hunters on the loose (antis are insane and unreasonable, they'd never cotton to this ever) Subsonic firearms loads would work well and be safer than archery due to no (highly reduced chance in the least) pass throughs of the animal while still killing very quickly and effectively. Then the Deer would start getting wise like they always do and vamoose.

Municipalities could sell "tags" out of their cull permit numbers. 60 Deer cull permit? 60 licenses available to local Residents of that municipality in addition to the BCRH Bag Limit.

Money made, fun had - Problem solved!

Wild one
01-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Personally I have little issue with deer living on the properties I have/presently own and no I don't hunt them. Even bears my rule is as long as they behave they can stay. Yes I have kids and they are taught about the wildlife on our property.

I personally don't see deer being enough of an issue to cull unless your a farmer. Never had huge numbers of deer on my land so maybe I just have not experienced the problems they cause. To me it sounds like the people complaining should move to Vancouver

If a cull is truly need the meat should not go to waste

Wild one
01-01-2017, 01:59 PM
Definitely not bow only, could certainly be Bow/Shot. Urban Hunting is a thing in some jurisdictions, works well and makes money as opposed to being costly. Liability insurance/special course or whatever rigamarole could be required to appease reasonable members of the populace who may complain about Hunters on the loose (antis are insane and unreasonable, they'd never cotton to this ever) Subsonic firearms loads would work well and be safer than archery due to no (highly reduced chance in the least) pass throughs of the animal while still killing very quickly and effectively. Then the Deer would start getting wise like they always do and vamoose.

Municipalities could sell "tags" out of their cull permit numbers. 60 Deer cull permit? 60 licenses available to local Residents of that municipality in addition to the BCRH Bag Limit.

I do agree archery/shotgun hunting could be an option in areas with properties large enough for it to be done safely

On small properties I could see it creating problems especially if those hunting don't use caution and proper ethics.

Restricting this option to larger properties and I can see it as a good option

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-01-2017, 01:59 PM
Some of us will take any opportunity to promote Hunting, increase opportunity and of course -

GET BACKSTRAPS!!!

Venny is the best, can never have too much of that. Any option for more meat is a good option.

HarryToolips
01-01-2017, 03:25 PM
Definitely not bow only, could certainly be Bow/Shot. Urban Hunting is a thing in some jurisdictions, works well and makes money as opposed to being costly. Liability insurance/special course or whatever rigamarole could be required to appease reasonable members of the populace who may complain about Hunters on the loose (antis are insane and unreasonable, they'd never cotton to this ever) Subsonic firearms loads would work well and be safer than archery due to no (highly reduced chance in the least) pass throughs of the animal while still killing very quickly and effectively. Then the Deer would start getting wise like they always do and vamoose.

I agree, though like Wild One said, it would have to be on larger properties for safety reasons I would think..but even this would be a very hard sell..

j270wsm
01-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Personally I have little issue with deer living on the properties I have/presently own and no I don't hunt them. Even bears my rule is as long as they behave they can stay. Yes I have kids and they are taught about the wildlife on our property.

I personally don't see deer being enough of an issue to cull unless your a farmer. Never had huge numbers of deer on my land so maybe I just have not experienced the problems they cause. To me it sounds like the people complaining should move to Vancouver

If a cull is truly need the meat should not go to waste

im pretty sure all the meat from previous culls has been donated to local food banks.

Everett
01-01-2017, 10:06 PM
im pretty sure all the meat from previous culls has been donated to local food banks.

All meat is donated to food banks and the people who receive it are happy as can be and in Cranbrook the only complaint is there is not enough to meet demand.