PDA

View Full Version : Chetwynd

wetcoasthunter
07-05-2007, 09:12 PM
OK, its set. Heading up to Chetwynd for Aug 24, 2 weeks in the bush. Never been up there, so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appriciated, thanks guys.

todbartell
07-05-2007, 09:14 PM
dont forget your rifle at home

todbartell
07-05-2007, 09:15 PM
bring something to drink

pmj
07-05-2007, 09:17 PM
From what I have read, bug spray and lots of ice.

rakatak
07-05-2007, 09:17 PM
bugspray!!

rakatak
07-05-2007, 09:18 PM
freezer plans.?

HighCountry
07-05-2007, 09:24 PM
a good condition generator and a big freezer.

mark
07-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Hornet spray and beer, youll need both!

superkill
07-05-2007, 10:56 PM
its a zoo, have fun

hunter1947
07-06-2007, 06:12 AM
I hunted there 2 years ago for the opening for moose in oug ,i found that the bugs aren't that bad at that time of the year ,but take bug spray just to be safe.

wetcoasthunter
07-06-2007, 07:18 AM
its a zoo, have fun

Its that busy hey? Damn.

As for a freezer we have a meat cooler, mounted on one of our trailers. Works very good.

Hornets? I would never have thought they would be an issue.

CanuckShooter
07-06-2007, 07:56 AM
It is busy if you set your camp where 90% of camps are....if you make an effort you can find an out of the way spot that isn't so populated. The del/rio and stuart lake areas are busy busy busy....

Take mosquito netting and pepper...as there will be blow flies like you probably have never seen !! And, there are more grizzly bears per square mile than anywhere else in north america...so get yourself educated about them before you become a nice tasty grizz snack.

sawmill
07-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Stay out of the Chetwyn Hotel on Friday and Saterday nights.

wetcoasthunter
07-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Stay out of the Chetwyn Hotel on Friday and Saterday nights.

I feel a story needs to be told here?

Jetboat
07-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Get there earlier! Set up camp in a prime spot. Nail your bull(s) opening morning then race the other 237 successful opening morning hunters to the limited coolers available. Stop at the hotel and celebrate. Return to camp and party for a week. Break camp, pick up the meat from the butcher and return home with wild hunting stories for the wives. And heed sawmill's advise :wink:

KodiakHntr
07-08-2007, 04:12 PM
The bugs aren't that bad there right now, so don't worry about it too much. Just a little spray, and a fishing rod too!

moosinaround
07-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Really warm up there expect 25+ degrees in the day time. Be ready to be quick with the field dressing, and take game bags or sheets. Things can go really bad in a hurrry. If it is raining, make sure you bring tire chains, cause those oil roads turn to snot with just a drizzle. Tire chais are all that give traction in the wet snotty stuff, and it is just as fun going down the coolies as it is going up them. The bars are more dfangerous than the grizzlies in chetwynd, especially on a sat. night. Good luck Moosin.

30-06
07-08-2007, 04:39 PM
not to high jack here.but since were on the topic of hunting chetwynd area for moose.dose anyone have any advise for hunting moose/elk there beginning to middle October ? Any Help Is Appreciated

KodiakHntr
07-09-2007, 05:39 AM
Don't worry too much about the bars being dangerous....Spent a lil time there on Wednesday....Mind you, it is an oil town, complete with riggies....And we did have to circle the women folk and fight our way out at the end of the night....

358mag
07-11-2007, 07:31 PM
stay away from the 7-11 on Main St after 9 pm

Rubicon500
07-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Sounds like I need to make a trip up there do a little drinking :mrgreen:

smokey
07-11-2007, 09:47 PM
all i can say is the shower's at the landry mat are wicked after spend a couple days in the bush,you feel like a new man when you get back to camp

tufferthandug
07-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Stay away from the bars on Welfare Wednesday!!! You're better off to stay in camp.

Jagermeister
07-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Charmin TP extra strength. :mrgreen:

300 wsm
07-11-2007, 11:39 PM
honestly it seems like a high traffic area where people push the animals around and just push the game into other groups of hunters that works right but it seems like alotta peeps go their id rather be were no one is and be able to pattern the game i think that it would be difficult to do that in that country sure alotta people pushin them around brings the chances up but it aint for me good luck to all and have a safe season safety first and the kill last

300 wsm
07-11-2007, 11:45 PM
if u r a true baller dont worry about nutin at the bars just walk in and be a man dont start fights unless they come to u then finish em u dont gotta go in to these shit hole towns thinkin their is a bunch of rednecks their bud iknow red necks i see em every season they r the guys that think minorities dont belong in tha bush and honestly f..k em cause they aint gonna say shiat in the real world they jus hide behind bush

GoatGuy
07-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Walk 5 minutes into the bush and you'll be all by yourself.

Plenty of folks pounding the roads but I've never seen another hunter in the bush in August in the part of the world.

TGF
07-12-2007, 07:05 AM

Plenty of folks pounding the roads but I've never seen another hunter in the bush in August in the part of the world.

How true...

I worked 9 years in the bush around Chetwynd planting trees. Lots of superb areas just off the roads. You just need to hike a little. Stay away from the 2 legged animals on the road, and riding atvs.

Get yourself a good topo map and do some studying. Good luck and if your bored (your tags are filled) look for fossils as many around the area. Or take a day trip to Kineuso Falls by Monkman park. They are taller than the famous Niagra Falls.

hunter1947
07-12-2007, 07:06 AM
Head up Farrel creek main line ,the turn off is just outside of the Hudson hope town about 5klm ,make a left onto it ,head back about the 56lkm mark anywhere around there and further in is good for elk and deer and moose.

mark
07-12-2007, 07:07 AM

X2, and theres still plenty of game in that bush! Our freezers get filled every year!

wetcoasthunter
07-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Anyone have any advice with regards to fishing up there? What Lakes are good? What to use? Etc. etc. Thanks for all the info guys, much appriciated.

Mauser98
07-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Anyone have any advice with regards to fishing up there? What Lakes are good? What to use? Etc. etc. Thanks for all the info guys, much appriciated.

Stewart Lake has rainbows. They're a pretty good size but taste like mud.:icon_frow

gotmoose?
07-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Not sure where u are going up there but the fishing and moose hunting are excellent at moose lake. The lake is half way between chetwynd and tumbler ridge.

I have caught many rainbows in the 2-4lb range during the fall and they don't taste like mud. Fish off the dock! One year while we were moose hunting in the morning a couple of americans came with their expensive gear and boat and fished all morning. We came back for lunch and I had caught 3lb and 4 lb rainbow within 30 min off the dock. When the americans came in I asked how many fish they caught? They replied we've been out all morning and caught nothing. They were not happy when I showed them my fish.

Camp at the forestry rec site on the lake. We have seen many moose across the lake in the swamp at the end closest to the rec site. Glass that end of the lake from camp every time you leave or return. The forest is thick and the cuts are over grown unless they have logged some new area recently. However, if you walk into any of the swamps off the main roads you will find them. Especially if you no how to call. We have played the mature immature game up there and never been skunked.

ratherbefishin
07-12-2007, 01:00 PM
never found the elusive ''immature''...called in some nice bulls-desperately trying to shrink antlers....

GoatGuy
07-12-2007, 01:21 PM

Fished Gwillim about 10 years ago. Fished the far end of the lake 10-12 pound pike (see slew shark) sight fishing on the fly when I could keep the big flies out of my hair. Phenomenal fishing!!!!!!

Stone Sheep Steve
07-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Fished the far end of the lake 10-12 pound pike (see slew shark) sight fishing on the fly when I could keep the big flies out of my hair. Phenomenal fishing!!!!!!

Must have had some BIG HAIR back then....probably like the pattented "Fisher-Phro":-D!

SSS

daycort
07-12-2007, 04:11 PM
westcoasthunter,

The hunting would be best on the left side of hiway 29 past carbon lake. Too much oil and gas activedy every else that was mentioned in the post. just look at your rec atlas and yuo will find the road. big moose and the elk have moved into there the last 4-5 years. As for fishing the rivers in the area are better fishing in the fall then the lakes. Try the fingers on the peace with a 6 weight fly rod and a wolly bugger. any coulor but purple is my favorite.

30-06
07-12-2007, 04:35 PM
westcoasthunter,

The hunting would be best on the left side of hiway 29 past carbon lake. Too much oil and gas activedy every else that was mentioned in the post. just look at your rec atlas and yuo will find the road. big moose and the elk have moved into there the last 4-5 years. As for fishing the rivers in the area are better fishing in the fall then the lakes. Try the fingers on the peace with a 6 weight fly rod and a wolly bugger. any coulor but purple is my favorite.

im going up to carbon lake this year . you have anymore info on it??

daycort
07-12-2007, 04:46 PM
30-06,

get off the beaton path and do some walking in the bush. I think you said you were going to be there around oct 1. perfect to catch the big stinky ones. Get a rec atlas if you don't have one and study it.

30-06
07-12-2007, 05:19 PM
30-06,

get off the beaton path and do some walking in the bush. I think you said you were going to be there around oct 1. perfect to catch the big stinky ones. Get a rec atlas if you don't have one and study it.

ya around oct,1 st or so.ill get the atlas.thanks for the info..anyone got anymore.. were going for moose/elk. and if deer is open.i havent looked at the new reg's yet

GoatGuy
07-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Must have had some BIG HAIR back then....probably like the pattented "Fisher-Phro":-D!

SSS

It's tough chucking them big flies; sound like bullets whizzing by your head.:-D

TGF
07-13-2007, 07:07 AM
Burnt river is good for grayling and big bull trout. Someone told me it wasn't open anymore so check regs out. Gwillum, Moberly can be good.
As well as jackfish lake if you like jackfish.