PDA

View Full Version : Christmas present for new hunters - pack kit / kill kit / survival kit

markathome
12-21-2016, 08:09 AM
Hey Hunters ! So Christmas is upon us and my two awesome daughters are taking their CORE this upcoming summer (as soon as the youngest turns 10 (her sister will be 12)).

I thought I would give them their own pack kits/kill kits for Christmas to get them set up for next year's season. Not sure about you guys, but I have a big heavy duty zip lock that goes in my pack/truck no matter what hunt I'm on, where I'm going, or how far I'll be hoofing it.

They've been hunting with me for years and have helped pack out bucks, field dress and all that.

I break my kit into two categories: kill and survival.

Mine has:
Kill Kit
tags
photo copy of license(s) and PAL
knife sharpener
surgical gloves
extra zip lock for organs
small pack of baby wipes
alcohol swabs for clean up
sandwich zip lock for garbage

Survival
emergency shelter (not a space blanket)
extra ultra small headlamp with batteries reversed (E+light from petzel)
fire starter
extra lighter with duct tape wrap
20' para cord
small tube (lighter size) of body glide - nobody likes friction!
small packet of mole skin
small emergency first aid kit with compression bandage and a few critical supplies (bandaids for knuckles, etc)
small emergency repair kit with bailing wire/zip ties/2 big plumber clamps
for the girls I would add lip balm or something for wind chaff / dry lips

And on my person (and I'll have the girls carry as well) is a compass, my multi tool, and a whistle. My first aid kit also has t-3's for emergencies but I won't put that in the girl's kits.

Anyone have anything to add?

What's Santa bringing your hunting kids this year?

Thanks !

brian
12-21-2016, 08:46 AM
My kill/survival kit are a lot like yours, except they are all combined into one. for example I use a very small man sized sil nylon tarp as a survival shelter and also use it to wrap and pack out organs etc. I also have a 10' length of rope to help with getting a deer out. I don't carry fire starter because I assume I will be able to easily find pitch, which is not a problem where I hunt. In addition to your list I've added a whistle, a mirror, some drinking water tablets, and a small pencil and notepad. Ironically I have used the notepad and pencil the most out if the kit in non emergency/ non pack out circumstances.

ccrcc
12-21-2016, 08:59 AM
A spare knife maybe?

walks with deer
12-21-2016, 09:26 AM
Good call on getting the girls into carrying a day pack..

A metal cup and soup or tea..and or lifestyle. All depends on time of year and area but good start..

Flagging tape.. and for me 1 solo beer.

walks with deer
12-21-2016, 09:28 AM
I started my son carrying his own pack it's essential to train them early then it's secound nature...plus he can carry his own jacket water,knIves,and snacks..

Tuffcity
12-21-2016, 09:53 AM
A "life straw" is a nice addition to a day pack as well.

RC

panhead
12-21-2016, 09:59 AM
A small saw is pretty handy at times ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFUCIUS SAY…Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.

Linksman313
12-21-2016, 10:09 AM

RC
X2 now available almost everywhere and super handy and easy to use for little ones when your out of liquid, also I pack a metal cup, flagging tape and a bag of instafire (http://allsharktankproducts.com/shark-tank-products-home/instafire-fire-starting-pellets-for-camping-charcoal-and-emergency-kits/) this stuff just works, tested numerous times out shooting at the gravel pit with 2 feet of snow on the ground and comes in a very convenient small resealable bag. Great idea to get the kids packing their own emergency supplies!!

Iron Glove
12-21-2016, 10:27 AM

RC

I picked up one of these this year and now my Son and Son-In-Law will be finding one in their Xmas stockings.
Great product, great gift.

walks with deer
12-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Damm auto correct I meant to wright lifestraw not lifestyle for your daughters

masoncade1992
12-21-2016, 10:34 AM
my kill kit is fairly substantial...

I have:

1 outdoor edge knife with blades
1 gut hook
1 havelon skinning knife
1 m18 fuel sawzall with stainless blade ( best investment ever)
1 small roll of poly
plastic gloves
1 black plastic bag.
1 small roll of cheese cloth for the 1/4s

I usually keep all this in a small plano container and keep it on my atv. when I kill something I have everything I need to do a clean job of the animal

dru88
12-21-2016, 10:53 AM
what a great idea what kind of day pack were you thinking of getting your daughters?

markathome
12-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Thanks for all the input guys - lots of great ideas (life straws are going on the list for sure!). I'm not sure about packs - something that does double duty and isn't hunt specific.

I'm eyeing this one up so it can double as a climbing pack.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5031-513/Fox-30-Backpack

russm
12-21-2016, 11:35 AM
A small saw is pretty handy at times ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFUCIUS SAY…Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.

I have a folding gerber saw, works good and came with 2 blades, i use one for trees and i cut my buck in half with the other one.

wideopenthrottle
12-21-2016, 11:38 AM
I also include some snare wire and a bit of fishing line (can be used for sewing too) with a couple of lures/hooks..for my pack flashlight I use a small piece of tape on the end of the battery to prevent it from making contact if the button is accidentally pressed. a handful of nuts and a couple of small candy bars. more than 1 lighter and the boyscout skills to light a fire in nearly any conditions. I also have 2 sharpies (smaller ones) to mark flagging tape or leave messages. I also carry 20 feet of strong rope (8mm kernmantle)..also a few extra shells (10) to fire off in an emergency I keep them in a cut off Styrofoam shell holder (I think win or federal ammo has them but I cant remember which) and then I pull 2 magic mini gloves over them to keep them in the holder and to keep them quiet. I also carry extra spare batteries wrapped in a bit of tape for the GPS, flashlight or radio.

walks with deer
12-21-2016, 12:43 PM
Dental floss works as thread fishing line or fire starter.

wideopenthrottle
12-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Dental floss works as thread fishing line or fire starter.
I used the waxed stuff when repairing a canvass tent trailer making several stitches until the holes were jammed with the floss...it made the repair waterproof

nature girl
12-22-2016, 06:25 PM
How about walkie talkies and I saw you put 20' paracord. How about also a paracord bracelet. You can get them in pink.

Bear Chaser
12-22-2016, 06:44 PM
Loctite Instant Adhesive. The good stuff. Comes in a bottle slightly larger than nail polish. I usually have one double bagged in sandwich size ziplocks in my truck and pack at all times. I've used it to reattach the soles on my boots second day into a twelve day mountain hunt with no worries. More specifically to your kill pack it can be used to help hold together some pretty nasty cuts which do happen from time to time when dressing game.

BillyBull
12-22-2016, 10:22 PM
One item that is for emergency usage is super/crazy glue that can be used to help seal up a gash from a knife or some other accidental shallow laceration. Get the pressure on it then use the glue to keep it sealed until you get back to camp.

LupieHunter
12-23-2016, 12:21 AM
If you take any medications on a daily basis, be sure to include a few days supply in your emergency and day pack kits.

swampthing
12-23-2016, 09:41 AM
I always had my boys set up this way as well. Makes for good xmas gift stuff.

markathome
12-23-2016, 11:57 AM
Thanks Everyone - love the dental floss and the instant adhesive ideas. My plan is to set them up with essentials and my kit will be the tickle trunk carrying the one-offs.

Merry Christmas! Spring Bear isn't far away!

XPEIer
12-23-2016, 12:49 PM
I vacuum seal all my little kits. I also take a spare pair of thin wool socks and vac seal them into a little package (nothing like dry socks). Most of the things mentioned are on my list as well. I have made one for my wife and my daughter and we NEVER head into the woods without at least one pack.

I hunted with a good friend a few years back, he jumped out of the truck with his jeans, wool shirt, gun and pair of binos in the other hand. No idea if he had a fire starter or anything else at all. Make me nervous.

xpeier

Smiley
12-23-2016, 01:52 PM
Our killbags look much like the OP's.

We have learned the hard way that the bag is only any good at all if it is WITH YOU when you are afield.
Several times early on, as we were driving to our preselected location, we would bail out of the truck to get a closer look at something. Once, we were very lucky and this lead to a harvest. But first we had to trudge back to get the bags!!!
Now the bag is habitually donned even for a quick glassing session.

nature girl
12-23-2016, 07:13 PM
Oh I forgot to add a tick key. Because sometime they will see or get one of those little buggers on them. You can get them at pet food stores. I always carry 2 now.

How about a little canvas wallet with a elastic on it and on the elastic put a little piece of orange flagging tape in it. I know as last year I lost my wallet while hunting but I found it and a member on here said to put a elastic on your wallet then it wont fall out of your pants pocket and I thought of the orange flagging tape as if I do loose it again I can see it better.

And I think this is a great idea you are doing better for the girls to be prepared.

HarryToolips
12-23-2016, 10:32 PM
Hey Hunters ! So Christmas is upon us and my two awesome daughters are taking their CORE this upcoming summer (as soon as the youngest turns 10 (her sister will be 12)).

I thought I would give them their own pack kits/kill kits for Christmas to get them set up for next year's season. Not sure about you guys, but I have a big heavy duty zip lock that goes in my pack/truck no matter what hunt I'm on, where I'm going, or how far I'll be hoofing it.

They've been hunting with me for years and have helped pack out bucks, field dress and all that.

I break my kit into two categories: kill and survival.

Mine has:
Kill Kit
tags
photo copy of license(s) and PAL
knife sharpener
surgical gloves
extra zip lock for organs
small pack of baby wipes
alcohol swabs for clean up
sandwich zip lock for garbage

Survival
emergency shelter (not a space blanket)
extra ultra small headlamp with batteries reversed (E+light from petzel)
fire starter
extra lighter with duct tape wrap
20' para cord
small tube (lighter size) of body glide - nobody likes friction!
small packet of mole skin
small emergency first aid kit with compression bandage and a few critical supplies (bandaids for knuckles, etc)
small emergency repair kit with bailing wire/zip ties/2 big plumber clamps
for the girls I would add lip balm or something for wind chaff / dry lips

And on my person (and I'll have the girls carry as well) is a compass, my multi tool, and a whistle. My first aid kit also has t-3's for emergencies but I won't put that in the girl's kits.

Anyone have anything to add?

What's Santa bringing your hunting kids this year?

Thanks !
Looks complete, as long as you've done your job of teaching them how to use the mentioned items:wink:

albravo2
12-23-2016, 10:45 PM
I've had the pleasure of hunting with women quite often. I would include a couple tampons in that kit.

Not only are they great if you need an absorbent compress, they will save a hunt if the girls need them for their original intended purpose.

M.Dean
12-24-2016, 05:19 PM
I'd add a light weight Nor Mark skinning axe and a bone saw with a folding blade. I got my NM for Xmas years ago, they said they got it from The house of Knives down at the coast somewhere, I've never seen another one in any store around here? I've used both axe and saw on many many animals over the years, and I'm sure it'll last the next owner a long time also. One thing that can help out any hunter is a "Good" flashlight"! Or a good headlamp, my Grand Son and I bought a package of 2 thin, light weight flashlight's, I've never used a brighter light in my life, take a couple extra AA battery's with you and your good for the night! The name on it is just "Police Security". Well worth the cost. Let us know what you do put in the packs, and sure sounds like tomorrow morning's going to be great at your house! Merry Christmas!