PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hunt elk /deer around Kimberly

peterb
07-05-2007, 03:58 PM
l was thinking about hunting elk around Kimberly maybe the Skookumchuck.
pete

model88
07-05-2007, 08:46 PM
l was thinking about hunting elk around Kimberly maybe the Skookumchuck.
pete

I thought I saw an earlier post that there wasn't any elk in the East Kootenays:???:

Poguebilt
07-05-2007, 09:06 PM
you should hook up with Hagen on the board....

maybe between the two of you's you migh have some luck!

rick stewart
07-05-2007, 09:34 PM
head there ,there is a reason why they aren't saying any thing

Everett
07-05-2007, 09:57 PM
You can come shoot the deer that keep eating my tomato plants:-D

GoatGuy
07-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Yep head up the St.Mary's plenty of both.

Lots of trails and tough to access country; more than a few bulls that get stroked right from the roads.

Rackmastr
07-06-2007, 07:50 AM
I hunted out of Skookumchuck this spring.....if Spring numbers say anything about elk from Skook all the way to Kimberly and Cranbrook, then that area has a pile of em.....we saw huge herds....would love to hunt the area if I was a resident.....

kootenayelkslayer
07-06-2007, 12:09 PM
The Skook is no good.

sawmill
07-06-2007, 02:19 PM
There are elk here but it is a lot of work to find a legal bull,for an out of towner.The odd one gets taken by a luckey road drive but we have pretty much run out of the odd ones.Lots of 5& 4&spikes and cows,so what.Whitetail are pretty good if you don`t mind a 2 pnt.
You want to hunt a huge area ,you need to have friends here or spend the bucks on a guide ,and niether are for sure.
If you think you can sail on down and smoke a legal bull or a 5x5 whitey on your valuble days off,think again.Lot of pressure here these days and all the dumb ones never live to pass that gene on

GoatGuy
07-06-2007, 03:04 PM
There are elk here but it is a lot of work to find a legal bull,for an out of towner.The odd one gets taken by a luckey road drive but we have pretty much run out of the odd ones.Lots of 5& 4&spikes and cows,so what.Whitetail are pretty good if you don`t mind a 2 pnt.
You want to hunt a huge area ,you need to have friends here or spend the bucks on a guide ,and niether are for sure.
If you think you can sail on down and smoke a legal bull or a 5x5 whitey on your valuble days off,think again.Lot of pressure here these days and all the dumb ones never live to pass that gene on

Elk hunting is tough regardless, but there's plenty of legal bulls to be had in that country. 2 years ago there were 6 legal bulls that I know of shot right from the road up the St.Mary's and there are plenty to be found if you want to beat the bush not to mention a whopper muley shot run in the middle of one of the roads up there also. Goats, mulies, wt's and elk - they've got it all up the St.Mary's.

Fisher-Dude
07-06-2007, 03:37 PM
My huntin partner shot a tastey young 6 point elk up St Marys a few years ago. Had a 1.5 inch 6th point - thank God for Leica binoculars! 8)

hunter1947
07-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Just head up to the top end of St marys drainage and pound ,you will find elk ,lots up in the back end if you want to go that little further then the road hunters. Get a good map and go from there.