PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Goat Regulation for Newbie

Astepanuk
12-17-2016, 12:17 PM
Hey Guys

First off just want to say I have read a pile of your guys great threads and just reading your regulations they seem to be a pile more confusing then our Alberta Regulation. As you can see this is my first post in HuntingBC and look forward to many more,Myself and a local BC resident are planning a Mountain Goat hunt for 2018 and just want to make sure I have everything sorted out.

Questions is if for say we wanted to hunt the cry lake area in 6-23 how do you know if it is a general season or limited entry I don't see anything in the figure maps in the regulations, Just want to be clear before we decide what lake and area were gonna hunt. I simply want to make sure were following all the rules and don't want to cause waves.

Thanks for the response

ccrcc
12-17-2016, 04:03 PM
2018. lotsa planning time! find the kmz (google earth shape file) with all the management units, find your spot and check the MU. then just check the synopsis and if season's open in yer MU check the dates of the opening. LEH usually has specified area maps too. sounds like you are aware of this. you can trace out the LEH maps in you backroads mapbook and go from there. easiest way. Often one side a ridge or drainage is in and the other is out, so you must be careful and aware.
read up on billy/nanny ID. there are some online resources for this and to test you. have fun!

ryanb
12-17-2016, 04:15 PM
It's open. No goat closed or goat leh area in 6-23.

Whonnock Boy
12-17-2016, 04:16 PM
I don't see any special stipulations in the regulations regarding goat in 6-23, and there are no LEH hunts listed in the LEH synopsis. This could very well change by 2018.
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/regulations/2016-2018/hunting-trapping-synopsis-2016-2018-region6.pdf
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/limited-entry-hunting/leh_16_17.pdf

Caribou_lou
12-17-2016, 04:31 PM
If your going for goat. There are much better places that you don't need to fly into, that are wide open for goat! You must be going with a BC resident that will have a pocket full of other tags I'm guessing?

Astepanuk
12-17-2016, 05:42 PM
If your going for goat. There are much better places that you don't need to fly into, that are wide open for goat! You must be going with a BC resident that will have a pocket full of other tags I'm guessing?

Still working details out have a few different guys that said they would be interested in taking us but nothing confirmed yet so I'll be planning everything and be ready to go. I assumed we would have better odds if we fly into a remote lake, I live to far away to do any re scouting so its gonna be more less pick a spot and burn some boot rubber. I'm currently doing all this research while I sit on the couch recovering from a Broken leg from my last hunt in Alberta. I'm not interested in anyones honey holes but if anyone is willing to give me some insight on a better location the cry lake area I'm defiantly open for options nothing is set in stone I just liked the look of the area from google earth.

Astepanuk
12-17-2016, 06:05 PM
Everything Ive read in BC Regulation says that A resident of BC can Hunter Host a NON Resident IE Albertan, The only thing I see about having to be family is if you are not a Canadian Citizen am I not correct not trying break any rules just looking for clarity.

This is right from the current Regs

4A non-resident of BC who is a resident ofCanada or a Canadian citizen may be accompa-nied by a resident of BC who holds a Permit toAccompany. Only one Permit to Accompany willbe issued to a person in a licence year.
4The BC resident applying for this permit mustbe a Canadian citizen or permanent resident ofCanada who has held a BC hunting licence anda big game species licence for 3 of the 5 yearspreceding application (or 2 of the 5 years pre-ceding application if the applicant has completedC.O.R.E). Applications are available at www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca

Wild one
12-17-2016, 07:54 PM
Assuming you are still a BC nonresident at that time "a few different guys" had better be BC licensed guides or family members with the appropriate permits if you are going to be hunting goats. Unless of course you want the adventure of a bracing discussion with a C.O.

Just have a BC resident as a host does not need to be family. I have hosted friends in the past just need to apply for the permit. Only thing that needs to be kept in mind is apply months ahead of time

butcher
12-17-2016, 08:17 PM
^^^^^^^^ this! Apply well in advance for the permit. Never had a problem getting one. I can help you pick a spot if you're desperate.

Astepanuk
12-17-2016, 08:20 PM
^^^^^^^^ this! Apply well in advance for the permit. Never had a problem getting one. I can help you pick a spot if you're desperate.

Thanks I really appreciate that. If anything I'll run an idea by you if that makes sense. Unless you got a nice a billy tied down then I'm in lol.

walkingthewoods
12-17-2016, 09:18 PM
You need to have been hunting in BC for 2 years as well before you can get the permit. Doesn't matter if it is family or friends.

Astepanuk
12-17-2016, 09:41 PM
You need to have been hunting in BC for 2 years as well before you can get the permit. Doesn't matter if it is family or friends.

Are you talking about the Host or the person being hosted, all my friends that would potentially host us have hunted in BC for years. Did see anything regarding myself having to hunt in BC for 2 years.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-17-2016, 09:59 PM

Ugh Ya gotta be kiddin' me... It even says three years only three posts above yours there! Two if originally a BC/did c.o.r.e. and that's out of the past five. It's ridiculous.

Astepanuk, looks like you've got a fair handle on things. I hope you enjoy your '18 Goat Hunt. I'm a guy (originally from BC) who was an Alberta resident Hunter for a while. I do prefer many aspects of the regulations there (especially being able to Hunt everything with a shotgun and/or slug gun), when I first moved to Alberta I had a hard time understanding how things were presented but caught on fast and never had another problem. BC's regs are intentionally confusing!

.264winmag
12-17-2016, 11:25 PM
There is only a select couple of mu's that can legally be hunter hosted, best call them to get details. Most open season goat areas are closed to non-residents even with a hunter host. Good luck!

.264winmag
12-17-2016, 11:29 PM
I was dealing with region 4 gos when we sent paperwork away and were denied. Could be different in 6...

Astepanuk
12-17-2016, 11:43 PM
Interesting I haven't come across that in the regulation I read all the figure maps in the region 6 only thing I can see if the LEH locations nothing about non residents can't hunt in certain locations. I'll have a better read over it tomorrow

ryanb
12-17-2016, 11:46 PM
You won't find those policies in the regs. Hunter hosts are normally given permits for plentiful species and /or low pressure areas, anywhere with a gos will not necessarily be approved for hunter host.

Good luck with your plans... Start early and you'll find a good spot.

Astepanuk
12-17-2016, 11:49 PM
You won't find those policies in the regs. Hunter hosts are normally given permits for plentiful species and /or low pressure areas, anywhere with a gos will not necessarily be approved for hunter host.

Good luck with your plans... Start early and you'll find a good spot.

Thanks what does Gos mean

Brno22F
12-18-2016, 03:57 PM
GOS = General Open Season

goatdancer
12-18-2016, 05:06 PM
The key to a permit to accompany is 'may'. It's all at the discretion of MOE.

Rhyno
12-18-2016, 08:16 PM

You will want to go ahead and ignore this one, completely false.

As mentioned not all open seasons are guaranteed to have hunter host permits, you have to apply in advance. I believe some have a limited number first come first serve. Good luck.

Astepanuk
12-18-2016, 08:21 PM
Just wanted to Say Thanks to everyone that has chipped in with comments and suggestion, I do really appreciate it I know what its like to have new guys coming into your area. I want assure you that I'm a conservationist i respect the outdoors there will be zero traces of us being in the back country when we leave..

.264winmag
12-18-2016, 10:19 PM
Goats are underrated and underhunted here. I'm sure every time I see a new goat it's never even seen a human before HA. Plenty of opportunities even for out of provincers, access will likely be shitty but that's why they never see hunters;)

butcher
12-18-2016, 10:24 PM
I was dealing with region 4 gos when we sent paperwork away and were denied. Could be different in 6...

I have pulled permits in both 6 & 7 without issue.