PDA

View Full Version : Gold River Elk!

CoqTrophys
07-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Well this is the year for me i guess I finally drew a vancouver island bull. 1-09B Gold River. Does anyone have any info on the area? I have been in the area before but never hunting. Should I be bringing Atv's or just rely on my trusty 2 feet. The draw is for oct 10- nov 20. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

WoodOx
07-05-2007, 03:16 PM
grats on the draw, unfortunatly I cant give any advice

Upearly
07-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Congratulations. A very difficult LEH to get. An ATV will work but I would prefer a comfortable truck with the weather expected at that time of the year. The elk like the higher, backend valleys until snow starts to push them down. Follow up the Ucona River Road as far as you can. Find a few well chosen high vantage points where you can see down onto the logging slashes. Go to these points early in AM and (PM) and it won't be long before you're looking down on an approachable herd. Good luck!

Fireball129
07-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Congrats on the draw,I had one last year for bow only in the same area,but unfortunately was not able to go.There are couple of guys on here that helped me with some info on where to go.GOOD LUCK.

hunter1947
07-05-2007, 05:30 PM
First of all congrats on your draw ,yes there are lots of elk in that area you have been picked for ,me and 5 other people got together for a person that got picked for the same area last year and yes they connected with a cow elk. Don from this forum is the person that is more up to date on this area ,he got a bull out of there a few years ago. Maybe he will read your post and help you out. I hunted that area about 10 years ago and saw lots of nice bull elk when i was hunting for deer there ,the Quatchka and the ucona are the places to pound ,if you hut the slashes and the creek bottoms you will connect ,that's were i saw the elk 10 years ago and that's wear don got his bull a few years ago ,if i can help you more just send a Pm ,wayne.

Wildman
07-05-2007, 05:43 PM
The company I work for has operations in GR. I've seen lots of elk in the area. Ive laid out a few blocks in the Burman.... Ive seen monsters in there. They may be opening that Burman ML up soon. If it is not opened up yet, take a boat to the mouth of the river and walk up. You will be guaranteed a big guy. They hang out all along the river........You lucky dog. Same area I put in for. I could possible get you some maps too.......

K-1
07-05-2007, 06:17 PM
I was up there last Dec for a cow draw. With the info from Don In B.C. &
H.47 we got our cow, up on Sun. back home on Wed. We also had a lot of help form the G.R. fish & game club ( great bunch of guy's) they would come into camp to see how we were doing, and if they could do anything for us. I think if you camp up at Star Lake and hit the roads from there you should do OK!!
Ken

CoqTrophys
07-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks for all the help boys. keep the info coming. :-D its gunna be a great hunt. if were not picky, anyone know how long it should take to find some bulls.

Upearly
07-05-2007, 09:01 PM
48 hours....gunna need to see pics

Allen50
07-05-2007, 11:04 PM
in 2002 i had a cow draw, my brother and i went to gold river and we camped at Muchalet lake, there is gov, campground there. we were home in 3 days with a nice cow, weighted out on the rail around 575lbs, nice cow, and a atv would work but that time of year lots of rain, and good roads to drive, lots of tracks, we talked to a forester there and he pointed us to a area he though would be good and on the third mornning we had a elk and were home here in the evening and skined and hung the elk in my cooler, lots of elk there, take your time and glass the high country, and have fun,, you should have luck in spotting a good elk,, good luck,

Wildman
07-06-2007, 06:03 AM
Twaddle Lake area is another good spot for elk, but I think that both Muchalat Lake and Twaddle Lake are outside of your area. I could be wrong.

1/2 slam
07-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Congrats on the draw. There are some pigs up there. You should do well.

hunter1947
07-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Do you need a guide ,:mrgreen:.

CoqTrophys
07-06-2007, 10:03 PM
From what i hear about the elk up there i think all i need is some sound info, but thanks anyway Hunter1947( if i lived on the island I would probably ask everyone who drew if they needed a guide too8)) Are the bulls still vocal at that time or is the rut cooled off by opening day?

BCrams
07-06-2007, 10:06 PM
From what i hear about the elk up there i think all i need is some sound info, but thanks anyway Hunter1947( if i lived on the island I would probably ask everyone who drew if they needed a guide too8)) Are the bulls still vocal at that time or is the rut cooled off by opening day?

With an draw like yours, I wouldn't be ashamed at all to accept local help if it were offered in order to increase the odds of my success on what is probably a once in a lifetime tag. Especially if you don't have much experience elk hunting to begin with.

Having the tag doesn't mean you're going to get an elk.

Wildman
07-07-2007, 07:31 AM
With an draw like yours, I wouldn't be ashamed at all to accept local help if it were offered in order to increase the odds of my success on what is probably a once in a lifetime tag. Especially if you don't have much experience elk hunting to begin with.

Having the tag doesn't mean you're going to get an elk.

Yeah, sure helps when you know the area. Specially elk......once in a lifetime!

hunter1947
07-07-2007, 12:53 PM
From what i hear about the elk up there i think all i need is some sound info, but thanks anyway Hunter1947( if i lived on the island I would probably ask everyone who drew if they needed a guide too8)) Are the bulls still vocal at that time or is the rut cooled off by opening day? The bulls are still with the cows hear on the island till late Oct ,the bulls start parting mid to late Oct.