PDA

View Full Version : 5.11 Tactical pants

Salty
12-15-2016, 02:18 PM
I had a gift cert at one of the box stores and ended up buying a pair of pants from this company that I've never heard of. They're from California and cater to police and other LEOs. I bought the 'Ridgelines'

http://www.511tactical.com/mens/mens-pants.html

So far I'm impressed they feel like wearing nothing at all, hinged knees gusseted crotch kind of like a good mountaineering or hiking pant. They also stretch both ways which adds to ease of mobility and comfort. They're built to be very tough and seem impossible to rip.. so far anyway.

I wore them with light Merino longs yesterday ~ -10 light wind in knee deep snow doing some yard chores and the snow just slipped right off them and they and the longs broke the wind just fine for the conditions. And they're also pretty damn quiet. They're around 100 bucks. Thinking these will be good early and mid season hunting pants for a price that's considerably less than similar quality high end for purpose hunting pants (Sitka et al). They'd work great as mid layer too. Jury's still out but...

bigredchev
12-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Oh great, now you are going to start calling yourself an 'operator'

Husky7mm
12-15-2016, 02:27 PM
Have been rocking a pair for a about 3 mths now surveying in the bush every day. Comfort is paramount to me. They seem to be a great pair of pants, mobility is awesome. I like the waist, the ones I bought have an elastic in the waist that hold the front half to the back, almost like wearing two pair of chaps. I really like them, a few coworkers also bought them on my recommendation. All are sold.

Poguebilt
12-15-2016, 02:34 PM
What model are you wearing Husky7mm???

Salty
12-15-2016, 02:35 PM
Yes bigredchev I am now officially tacticool. lol

Right on Husky I felt a little funny yacking this up so early but they just have the feel of something that's going to last. Man, clothing technology just keeps going and going. And it gets cheaper if you look and compare. Also dig all the hidden pockets designed for extra magazines which will hold calls, phone etc and of course who doesn't want a hand cuff hanger off the rear waist band? C'mon.. :) Never considered any kind of duty clothing b4 but glad I gave these a go.

Husky7mm
12-15-2016, 02:56 PM
What model are you wearing Husky7mm???
Not sure as I am wearing them right now, and it's too cold to check. There are a few different models for sure, the hunting store up here in GP has a bunch of stuff by 5.11, it all looks like great quality gear. I think it will be a hit.

albravo2
12-15-2016, 03:41 PM
5.11 used to be a climbing clothing company and their kit was always first rate. They smelled money in tactical, and are now 5.11 Tactical.

I'd buy their stuff again for sure.

Salty
12-15-2016, 04:51 PM
OK didn't know that thanks al makes sense being how flexible and free moving the pants are. Kind of a different background for where they're at but like you suggest- follow the money

Keta1969
12-15-2016, 04:59 PM
Should have got the camo kilt Salty. See how it works for warmth.

Salty
12-15-2016, 05:11 PM
Yeah.. think pass on the kilt. haha Didn't see that till you mentioned it WTF for redneck Braveheart fans or some shit?

srupp
12-15-2016, 05:41 PM
Hmmm used them as a Paramedic..they even have a inside pocket for a knee pads, have a tie at the cuffs, cargo pockets, slash pockets..and extremely durable. .Hmmm maybe break these out for hunting..never even thought about it..
Srupp

adriaticum
12-15-2016, 06:06 PM
I've been wearing these for about 4-5 years now.
That's all I wear, almost.
Work, hunting, sleeping, shopping.
I have several pairs and will get some more soon.
Not a rip or tear or stain on them.
Easy wash, no iron, no drier.
Best 100 bucks you can spend on clothing.

adriaticum
12-15-2016, 06:07 PM
Dave's surplus in New West carries a large selection.

kevan
12-15-2016, 06:11 PM
Dave's surplus in New West carries a large selection.

Is this the only outlet for them or are there other stores ?

adriaticum
12-15-2016, 06:12 PM

I don't know, but I have not seen them anywhere else.
I'd say check the company website for dealers.

Salty
12-15-2016, 06:30 PM
McCallum at hwy1 in Abby

Sitkaspruce
12-15-2016, 07:07 PM
I have a pair for 7 years, great pants!!

Mine was designed for first responders; has padded knees, two thigh pockets, cuff ties, rip stop material.

Will be buying another pair when ever these wear out, which the way they at going will be a few more years!!!

Cheers

SS

kevan
12-15-2016, 09:52 PM
McCallum at hwy1 in Abby

Many Thanks Salty, certainly appreciate the tip !

WeatherdoG
12-15-2016, 11:46 PM

Wholesale Sports and Cabelas carry 5.11 as well.

Brambles
12-16-2016, 08:18 AM
I get the tacticals supplied at work, great pants. A couple new pairs each year.....basically I'll never run out.

r106
12-16-2016, 09:12 AM
I've been wearing these and love them. Sound similar to the ones posted. The flex in the fabric makes them extremely comfortable

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/work-pants-for-men/45507.aspx?processor=contenthttp://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/work-pants-for-men/45507.aspx?processor=content

.264winmag
12-16-2016, 10:25 PM
Picked up 2 pairs a few weeks back from kenkraft, $45 each. Been wearing one pair bucking in the sort 3 weeks. Not a mark on em. Saving a pair for mountain hunts. Light, breathable, dry super fast and tough.

.264winmag
12-16-2016, 10:50 PM
I should've specified
5.11 tactile pants
Only drawback is they're loud. Wife says they sound like a sunchip bag HA

Salty
12-17-2016, 09:42 PM
Maybe not the best for hunting those ones D.. ^ haha

So yesterday I'm walking down the aisle by the entrance at Walmart and this lady cop is walking towards me, I glance up and Woah.. the gal is checkin out my package :) Her eyes go up and she gives me an all business like nod and then it dawns on me. She was just noticing I was wearing duty pants :roll:

adriaticum
12-18-2016, 12:04 AM
Bass my ass, do not pass gas.
They have them too.

northof49
12-18-2016, 04:18 PM
Picked up 2 pairs this summer and have worn little else since. Very comfortable

Linksman313
12-18-2016, 04:22 PM
Salty/Husky 7mm - how did the sizing work with the waist/leg, similar to other pants you own. Same sizing?

Salty
12-18-2016, 04:50 PM
I found the sizing to be about right. I usually wear a 33" waist sometimes 32" and 34" inseam is usually just too long for me. I bought these in 34 waist and 32 inseam wanting room for long underwear and they fit great. I'd say if anything the waist might be a whisker smaller than average for size but there's lots of stretch to the waist band so there's lots of leeway anyway. Inseam about average too I'd say.

.264winmag
12-18-2016, 11:01 PM
Might be noisy but up in the alpine + it makes no difference;)

http://www.511tactical.com/taclite-pro-pants.html

Arctic Lake
12-20-2016, 09:34 AM
DS Tactical on 12th Street in New Westminster has a lot of 5.11 products

Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
12-20-2016, 09:36 AM
I had a gift cert at one of the box stores and ended up buying a pair of pants from this company that I've never heard of. They're from California and cater to police and other LEOs. I bought the 'Ridgelines'

http://www.511tactical.com/mens/mens-pants.html

So far I'm impressed they feel like wearing nothing at all, hinged knees gusseted crotch kind of like a good mountaineering or hiking pant. They also stretch both ways which adds to ease of mobility and comfort. They're built to be very tough and seem impossible to rip.. so far anyway.

I wore them with light Merino longs yesterday ~ -10 light wind in knee deep snow doing some yard chores and the snow just slipped right off them and they and the longs broke the wind just fine for the conditions. And they're also pretty damn quiet. They're around 100 bucks. Thinking these will be good early and mid season hunting pants for a price that's considerably less than similar quality high end for purpose hunting pants (Sitka et al). They'd work great as mid layer too. Jury's still out but...

Sorry did you mention what model you bought ?
Thanks !
Arctic Lake

.264winmag
12-20-2016, 01:36 PM
Says 'ridgelines' in the post?

Husky7mm
12-20-2016, 04:29 PM
Salty/Husky 7mm - how did the sizing work with the waist/leg, similar to other pants you own. Same sizing?

First pair I put on fit like a custom for me, I wear between a 36 and 38 depending on the brand. I bought a 36- 32. Not sure of the model, mine are grey and they do have some stains from bar oil and crawling through nasty blow down shit holes at work. No ripes yet a few light wear marks from getting stabbed by branches. One small burn hole from sighting to close to the fire to dry out. Most pants I use for work don't last more than 3-4 months, other than carharts ( to hot and stiff for me) These pants are holding up great, I will buy more even may get a pair to wear casually. I don't find them to be very loud after a wash or two. I don't find them to be very water resistant as it did say they were.

Husky7mm
12-20-2016, 08:17 PM
I looked them up on their web sight cause they didn't say what model they are. They are the apex model, maybe new for this year cause the waist is a bit different.

Salty
12-21-2016, 09:24 PM
Looks like the Apex are a Cargo style. The Ridgelines I got are just basic pants but with extra pockets front and back designed for magazines. They both have the higher end flex-tac fabric but the Apex a bit heavier with canvas to it by the looks.