PDA

View Full Version : ALL pros/cons to angled/straight spotters ?

BlacktailStalker
07-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Always the biggest decision, and one I have to make sooner than later.
Lets hear 'em.

ryanb
07-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Angled spotters are more comfortable to use I find, but they are slightly more bulky everything else being the same.

bruin
07-05-2007, 12:10 PM
I find it more difficult and takes me longer to pick up game with an angled spotter and also I like to be as far below skyline as possible, you can turn it if the attachment is right I guess.

4ptbuck
07-05-2007, 02:58 PM
I have an angled spotter, and it is comfortable to use. The con I find is that it is hard to find something.

What I mean is that if I spot something, with my eye, or binos, I find it harder to point the spotter there. With a straight, it is more intuitive/instinct. With the angle, I constantly am in line, but way off in elevation, either up or down.

Mr. Dean
07-05-2007, 06:24 PM
I have an angled spotter, and it is comfortable to use. The con I find is that it is hard to find something.

What I mean is that if I spot something, with my eye, or binos, I find it harder to point the spotter there. With a straight, it is more intuitive/instinct. With the angle, I constantly am in line, but way off in elevation, either up or down.

2nd.
Just doesn't feel 'right' w/ an angled eye piece.

bigwhiteys
07-05-2007, 06:39 PM
When I bought my scope I did my research and from what I gather Angled's are really popular with birders as they can all share a scope without re-adjusting the height all the time... And it's more comfortable.

From a hunting standpoint, I find it way easier like many others to use a straight eyepiece. I keep my eyepiece and scope seperate so Angled or not they both take up the same pack space.

Carl

boxhitch
07-06-2007, 12:24 AM
To balance the debate properly I think you have to compare scope/tripod combos.
The straight vs angle have different requirement so weight, bulk, stability, terrain-most-hunted, ground cover (grass,trees,gravel,ROCKS),
conveyance (quad,horse,boots) .......all factors. You have to decide.

Gamebuster
07-22-2007, 02:20 PM
I like angled eye pieces myself..they're much more comfortable to use, especially if you sit behind one for long periods of time in rough country. At first it takes some gettin used to to find what you're lookin at but once you get used to it, you can do it just as quick as you do with a straight eyepiece.

Skylining yourself isn't a problem if you've got one that rotates...you can actually avoid skylining yourself better with an angled in some situations if it rotates...with a straight you are always looking down the plane of the body which isn't so with an angled...you can look through it from below the plane of the body