PDA

View Full Version : Deer sheds in the lml?

Hill Walker
12-12-2016, 09:11 PM
I have found some decent deer sheds out in woods while hunting or hiking around. However I have never found any around the lml. Just before the snow starting to fly in the lml I was out for a walk in a park in Langley and I found a monster blacktail shed. I only found one side and it had a super thick base! Just wondering if others have had any luck finding sheds in the more off the beaten path areas of the lml. Prior to this I haven't had a lot of luck finding blacktail sheds. I spent a few years as a forestry engineer in the upper Pitt river and never found a shed once and I walked many miles and saw many, many deer.

hunter1947
12-13-2016, 07:14 AM
I have found a few elk deer hangers over my years shed hunting ,,gives a person excitement when you find an antler hanging off a branch..

Bonz
12-13-2016, 07:41 AM
just one for me down here. found most of the skeleton lying in the area. just this one side and partialy chewed up.

caddisguy
12-13-2016, 07:58 AM
I found one in Region 2. Campbell Valley park in Langley might be good. Seen quite a few deer with decent head gear south of 32nd. Small bodies but nice dense 4 point racks. Never tried "hunting" Campbell Valley park, but I bet if you get off the trail you will find tracks and poop, maybe rubs or sheds.

ajr5406
12-13-2016, 08:04 AM
[QUOTE=caddisguy;1857242]I found one in Region 2. Campbell Valley park in Langley might be good. Seen quite a few deer with decent head gear south of 32nd. Small bodies but nice dense 4 point racks. Never tried "hunting" Campbell Valley park, but I bet if you get off the trail you will find tracks and poop, maybe rubs or sheds.[/QU

When do sheds typically start to drop with BTs?

caddisguy
12-13-2016, 10:45 AM
When do sheds typically start to drop with BTs?

My understanding is that some start dropping late December and January, but very few. It should happen on a wide scale throughout February and should be finished by early to mid March. I have never ventured out for the sole purpose of shed hunting, but if I did, I think the last week of February and first week or March would be good to hit well known wintering areas before the ticks and shed hunters are out in numbers ... maybe see some bucks with antlers to follow around patiently lol :D

Any serious shed hunters that can confirm the times? Guessing it depends on area, condition of deer, nutrients, severity of winter etc

wideopenthrottle
12-13-2016, 11:11 AM
hey there hunter1947...I always hang sheds in trees when I find them....

MichelD
12-13-2016, 11:17 AM
Found one up in the trees near the Seymour River after cycling up to the hatchery one time and another one on Bowen island.

Ryo
12-13-2016, 12:22 PM
I'll jump in!

I love hunting sheds in the spring, and picked half of mine around the lower mainland last year (9 of 18 ). The first one I picked up was mid-Feb, and I suspect it had been there a couple weeks. The last antlers only dropped off bucks around the first of March - I watched the herd closely.

You could start hunting in January, but most would suggest you don't as you could end up shifting the deer (who in all likelihood haven't yet dropped their antlers) out of stable bedding and feeding areas - making your goal of picking up sheds a whole lot harder.

Langley has some nice blacktail for sure! The only problem is they cross back and forth between public and private land. On the other hand, providing you don't go stomping in too early, the herds are without pressure and your chance of actually picking up a shed are significantly higher than picking up blacktail sheds in the hills.

Ryo
12-13-2016, 12:25 PM
I should also add that a stray antler will wreak havoc on a lawn mower. See one on private land, go knock on the door and ask to walk the lot.

heatherdaddy
12-13-2016, 01:37 PM
Which park in Langley as all I see in them are Raccoons and Squirrels. LOL
If there is a monster in there it might be worth while hanging my trailcam in there to put it to use.

takla1
12-13-2016, 01:44 PM
I found one in Region 2. Campbell Valley park in Langley might be good. Seen quite a few deer with decent head gear south of 32nd. Small bodies but nice dense 4 point racks. Never tried "hunting" Campbell Valley park, but I bet if you get off the trail you will find tracks and poop, maybe rubs or sheds.

I grew up in this area and my parents lived many yrs in Campbell valley park.We also lived on the old BC forestry at 32nd/192nd st on 500 acres and I hunted it in the sixtys with my granddad.Every winter we would find sheds back in those days.
Since ive been in Mission since 1990 ive found a fair number of shed's up on Silverdale mnt,a few right across from our old property in an abandoned orchard,BT used to winter all around the area

takla

Hill Walker
12-15-2016, 09:58 AM
I think the best parks for finding deer sheds in the Langley area are south close to the US border. Campbell Valley and Aldergrove Lake Park are ones that come to mind. I have seen quite a few deer in both of these parks. The largest blacktail I have ever seen was driving, one night, along 0 avenue in Langley. It was a three point but had a rack that looked like a huge mulie rack.

Good2bCanadian
12-15-2016, 10:15 AM
I saw an awesome buck walk out of Langley Rod n gun before they put up their new fence. They are for sure around.
We have friends at 248th and 2nd ace and they have quite a few bucks roaming their 40acres

takla1
12-15-2016, 10:20 AM
quote;The largest blacktail I have ever seen was driving, one night, along 0 avenue in Langley. It was a three point but had a rack that looked like a huge mulie rack.

That's funny,i owned 9 acres on zero avenue back in the early 80's and the deer used to cross into my field from the U.S side in the evenings to chow down on my pasture.Back in those days border security wasn't so tight and I used to hike in the no mans zone between the US and Canada,theres about a 1/2 mile strip all along there that's full of BT,i used to see groups of 20/30 at a time

takla

Hill Walker
12-15-2016, 10:34 AM
I have 5 acres on 0 ave. I usually have a doe and a fawn living on the property during the summer months. The odd small two point or spike walk through the property but nothing big and nothing in the fall. Would love to set up some cams on some of my neighbours with large acreages. My one neighbour says that 15-20 deer come on his back forty and feed almost ever night.

takla1
12-15-2016, 10:55 AM
Yes there are some Cranker Blacktails in the bush across the other side of Zero and ave H on the U.S side.The gene pool in there is great as theres no hunting and very little preditation.I seen many 5 points while living there the biggest being a 5x5 with a long drop tine point,the rack was thick and tall as well.Good sized body's as well.
I was near 240th and zero

takla