PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing southern bc

walks with deer
12-12-2016, 02:08 PM
Okay who went out this week and what did you get?

I saw a lot of hard water this weekend and am getting ready for next week.

palmer
12-12-2016, 02:41 PM
Slow this week, used shrimp and only got a few small rainbow...about two every hour

Mulehahn
12-22-2016, 07:05 PM
How are Ice levels? I have this weekend off and no where to be. A weekend of Ice fishing sounds nice. Say around kamloops to Logan Lake area.

dave_fras
12-22-2016, 07:14 PM
Heading out tomorrow for the day! I'll see if I can hook into some brookies.

Jagermeister
12-23-2016, 04:11 PM
With this dump of snow, it will be knee deep water on top of the ice until some colder temps refreezes what's on top.

Rhyno
12-23-2016, 04:36 PM
Think I will try tomorrow with the kids, don't usually have much success around here though!

wifigary
12-24-2016, 02:17 PM
Went out yesterday, got 15 ( there was 3 of us ) in just under 4 hours. Had to drill 5 holes through 8" ice with a hand auger to find them, and spend an hour trying out different depths, but once the legwork was done the fun started and it went by fast.

HarryToolips
12-24-2016, 02:21 PM
^^^^A foot or two from the bottom I'm guessing worked the best?

Rhyno
12-24-2016, 03:33 PM
Think I will try tomorrow with the kids, don't usually have much success around here though!

Just got back, tried for trout for a bit then moved a little deeper to catch some perch for the kids.

wifigary
12-24-2016, 04:39 PM
^^^^A foot or two from the bottom I'm guessing worked the best?

Actually yes! We found if you bounce the bait on the bottom, then lift up a foot or so, usually within 2 minutes you'll have something come check it out.

tipper
12-28-2016, 12:43 PM
With this dump of snow, it will be knee deep water on top of the ice until some colder temps refreezes what's on top.
Ya that's always fun to deal with even when it's -20.. damn overflow. Saw some spots yesterday where guys must have been stuck on the sleds with big pools of water near kamloops

Linksman313
12-28-2016, 01:09 PM
Dad went out yesterday and caught his limit on mealworms, said he threw back a dozen or so little guys, also mentioned the action was hot between noon and 1pm and then just before dark, he held out for the last one to complete his limit, and make it a worthwhile run in the Big Chief that Santa brought this year.

Jagermeister
12-28-2016, 09:21 PM
I went by Monte today and although there were some fishing, there were plenty of damp spots too. Saw a crack that went from one side clear to the other side. A fellow that I spoke to said the fishing was "dam poor".

walks with deer
12-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Fished heffly for the first time caught my limit but when I cleaned them I have never seen trout with si many worms...amazing the things where still alive..

tipper
12-29-2016, 03:45 PM
For some reason I just couldn't fish next to a highway.
Tons of tapeworm walks with deer? Kind of a nasty thing to think about when eating even though it doesn't effect the meat..

Jagermeister
12-29-2016, 06:30 PM
For some reason I just couldn't fish next to a highway.
Tons of tapeworm walks with deer? Kind of a nasty thing to think about when eating even though it doesn't effect the meat..
That's okay. One less person to put up with. Now if only those hoards that show up from Vernon would take the same attitude................

walks with deer
12-29-2016, 10:25 PM
Never got tape worms in trout in monte.

I have encountered worms in trout here and there.. but these heffley trout where stuffed with them.. and I dont mean trout eating worms en I mean worms eating trout.

tuner
12-29-2016, 10:44 PM
Do people know that the Kane Lakes are closed for ice fishing?
Driving through the valley a few days back there were people fishing everywhere.
Have the regs changed or are these folks unwittingly poaching cause they didn't bother reading the regs?

MerrittBow
12-29-2016, 10:47 PM
Only the lower second lakes are closed for ice fishing. I the upper lakes and chicken ranch have brook trout in them and are open!!!

tuner
12-29-2016, 10:56 PM
Only the lower second lakes are closed for ice fishing. I the upper lakes and chicken ranch have brook trout in them and are open!!!
Thanx for clearing that up for me MB, guess I should read the regs a little more carefully:oops:.

shuswapbear
12-30-2016, 01:14 AM
Heard Gardom has around 7+" was hoping to maybe get out soon and try my luck, it has been awhile since I have been ice fishing. I think in fact the last time I went ice fishing I think there was still perch in Gardom lake.

Looking_4_Jerky
01-03-2017, 01:16 AM
Fished heffly for the first time caught my limit but when I cleaned them I have never seen trout with si many worms...amazing the things where still alive..

Although I haven't fished Heffley in a few years, I have fished there lots over the years, and yes, the fish can have an obscene number of tapeworms in their stomachs. I have never seen them or cysts in the flesh. Even if there are some, it shouldn't be a concern if the fish are properly cooked. If you like your fish on the rare side, make sure they have been deep frozen a while first.

My dad is 86 and has eaten a crazy amount of fish out of Heffley over the years. Sadly, I can't seem to get him out fishing as of this year because he says his knees and hands get too sore in the cold, but nonetheless he's always been in good health, even after pounding back loads of Heffley trout!

Linksman313
01-03-2017, 10:25 AM
Jewel lake hot again New Years Eve, caught two decent brookies and one 12" plus rainbow, enough for our meal, went to check on Dad at Wilgress and he had one hell of a lunker rainbow on the ice but that's all for the day. Went out yesterday and got skunked in 4 hours, figure the pressure change ahead of the cold weather clammed them up.