PDA

View Full Version : Calling a cow moose

BigfishCanada
07-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Guys, won a cow calf draw for Nov 1 in region 3. Some vetran hunters say you can call cow moose in any time. ANyone have success doing this? What kind of call would you recomend?

300WM
07-05-2007, 09:06 AM
I was taught this call from a very old and wise hunter when I was a child.

It is fairly difficult to master, but if done correctly you will be amazed at the response.

I'll try to explain it the best I can....

Start out finding a nice clearcut or slash with 2-3 year old growth. Make sure the wind is in your face. I find if I take a sip of water before I start the call the effect will be much better.

Gently cup your hands while pnching your nose, and as loud as you can start the call. It sounds something like......

Here moosey moosey.......here moosey moosey!!!!!

srupp
07-05-2007, 09:07 AM
I would not thing that "at any time " was accurate however during the rut they too can be called in...

Steven

Mik
07-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Gently cup your hands while pnching your nose, and as loud as you can start the call. It sounds something like......
Here moosey moosey.......here moosey moosey!!!!![/quote]
LMAO:lol:...thanks, I needed a good laugh.
However, in all seriousness, I have called cows in late season and what worked well was a longer,really looong, HIGH pitch cow call with quite a few breaks in between, (it simulates a calf in distress).

ape
07-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Any moose can be called in at any time. We had an old timer that used to hunt in our area tell us this. Then one day in the middle of May when nobody had seen a moose in months he proceded to call in a bull within 45 mins. I was very impressed. He calimed that moose are very gregerious and anytime they can spend time with another moose they jump at the chance. This is from a guy that hunted moose for over 65 years.

moosecaller
07-05-2007, 12:04 PM
A calf / cow call will bring in a cow at this time of year, it takes patience as the cows rarely call back when they come in. It can be done and I have done it.

one-shot-wonder
07-05-2007, 12:25 PM
In November you might try locating a Cow that hasn't been serviced yet and therefore might come into Estrous again. A bull grunt should do the trick if she is still looking for love.

Keep in mind she might respond with a call back but won't neccessarily come out looking for you. She might play those mind games that woman love to do and have you come and find her.:???:

Fisher-Dude
07-05-2007, 01:39 PM
In November you might try locating a Cow that hasn't been serviced yet and therefore might come into Estrous again. A bull grunt should do the trick if she is still looking for love.

Keep in mind she might respond with a call back but won't neccessarily come out looking for you. She might play those mind games that woman love to do and have you come and find her.:???:

For any that are interested, One Shit gives lessons on calling in-heat cows at the OK Corral, Wednesday nights. If you find you are having difficulty with mind games, One Shit will show you how to bag a fat cow in a matter of minutes. The boy is truly skilled.

rock
07-05-2007, 05:24 PM
A calf / cow call will bring in a cow at this time of year, it takes patience as the cows rarely call back when they come in. It can be done and I have done it.

so true and yet works better some parts of the year as well a lone cow I've called in many times very fun specially when there a distace away and your watching them come

rick stewart
07-05-2007, 10:32 PM
i have had cows come in on just a cow call 3rd week in oct they don't ansewer they just show up . i think they just wanna see what is going on

Jelvis
07-05-2007, 11:01 PM
MMwha MMwha thats a bull,>>>>>>>>> MMWhaaaaaaaha thats a cow.>>>> Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa thats a calf, hold call for 15 seconds straight for a calf call, and use higher pitch, than cow or bull and go up and down a bit with the pitch, on a calf call, the calf call mimmicks or means, a bull is near it's mother, and the mother is pushing calf to go, all moose respond to distressed calf calling, sometimes you can use a combination of calls, or just one. If moose is fairly close, turn away from the moose, and call with your back to the moose to make it come. Cup hands by mouth to get a gutteral sound. Don't over do the frequency of calls be realistic use your imagination. Whatever works at the time of the rut from sept 20th to Nov or into it a bit for second estrus for missed cows. Have fun talkin to moose.

moosecaller
07-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Early in the season I have had lone cows answer back with the most sorryful call you could imagine, I guess they are looking for a mate and want to make sure they are heard before loverboy gets it on with another. I have had cows with calves come in to just have a look. And late in the season I have had cows and bulls come in usually quiet. Although I have had a cow come in on a couple of occasions belting out what sounded like an alarm call walking right up to me within 50 feet, this was in the first week of Nov. Last week on the way into town I saw a young cow in the ditch, as I past she walked into the bush I pulled over and let out a couple of calls and she came walking back out stood in the ditch 100 feet away looking at me.

Allen50
07-05-2007, 11:11 PM
take some rosses and a bottle of wine, should get any mooseee there is in the area, and remember if you call one night and don't get a answer, you better call again the next day or you might be stood up... good luck, just remember to call back, it works,, good luck....