PDA

View Full Version : Sous Vide cooking.... Who does it?

winchester284
12-11-2016, 05:35 PM
Just ordered an Anova cooker to try this technique. http://anovaculinary.com/store/. It looks fool proof. Anyone else using this?

Buckmeister
12-11-2016, 05:44 PM
Seems interesting. Here is a better link and there is a video to watch to have it explained properly.

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/

Tifferly
12-11-2016, 06:38 PM
Have never tried it, but have always wanted to with wild game. Keep us updated on your trials :)

Ubertuber
12-11-2016, 09:01 PM
I've tied it with moose tenderloin and a thick chunk of spring salmon, but not with the device you bought. It was excellent and I'd recommend it.

604ksmith
12-11-2016, 09:19 PM
I just bought the Anova last week, got it for $99.

So far, I've used it three times and the results are amazing. It is fool-proof, and it has that 'set it and forget it' type of simplicity. I would recommend to anyone.

My steaks have never been so good.

winchester284
12-11-2016, 09:57 PM
I just bought the Anova last week, got it for $99.

So far, I've used it three times and the results are amazing. It is fool-proof, and it has that 'set it and forget it' type of simplicity. I would recommend to anyone.

My steaks have never been so good.

$99????

I got mine for $129 and I thought that was a great deal! Where did you get yours?

Surrey Boy
12-11-2016, 10:11 PM
Are your plastic bags bisphenol free?

winchester284
12-11-2016, 10:23 PM
Are your plastic bags bisphenol free?

They are food grade so I hope so..

CSG
12-11-2016, 11:57 PM
I use it on a regular basis in the kitchens I work at and have used it to cook my bear roasts to a medium rare safely. Please do more reading about trich and be informed if you are going to try doing this.

its not "fool proof" by any means but for sure it will improve the consistency of hitting a certain temperature for roast or steak. You can cook tender cuts too long in sous vide cooking and they will become mushy. there can also be dangers regarding bacteria etc in the environment created inside the bag, be sure to sear your meat after it comes out of the bag to cover your ass

Where this technique really shines is with gelatinous, tough braised cuts. try cooking some shank meat or some neck steaks in the bag with a garlic clove, some herbs, ounce of wine and some veal stock for 48 hours and you will be blown away. You don't need a lot of liquid or herbs etc, they will become very strong in the bag. They will eat like striploins with a beautiful sauce. Amazing.

Glad this technique is making its way into residential kitchens. Enjoy

ajr5406
12-14-2016, 08:43 PM
A cheap way to do it is the "reverse sear" method. Cook in the oven at a low temp and then finish in a hot pan/grill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INzdlHVewUo&t=1181s

aral
01-27-2017, 04:22 PM
I bought my mom a sous vide machine for Christmas. Important tip from personal experience: if you're planning on cooking something for longer than a few hours, do your research to see if you need to prevent the growth of lactobacillus. The kitchen smelled like rotting meat garbage for weeks!

AgSilver
01-27-2017, 05:01 PM
How did I miss this thread??...right, HBC break around Christmas.

I have two Anovas and use them a lot. Bought them off the Kickstarter. If it weren't for my wife's general annoyance with me and my kitchen stuff, there'd be one on the counter all of the time. Have used various methods of sous viding before getting the Anovas (including just regulating temp on the stovetop, but that was super annoying, even with our induction range, and using a DorkFood DSV PID controller in an old slow cooker).

CSG is right re possibly mushing up tender cuts. Did a small venison roast for too long one day and it was a bit mushy.

Best short ribs I've ever made were 72 hour sous vide gems. Great creme brulee, excellent ice cream base, perfect for fish. Haven't really found a vegetable recipe that I like in here yet, though. Nothing that beats anything I've done stovetop or in the oven, at least.

Stresd
01-28-2017, 09:05 AM
Are you cooks using vacuum sealed bags in your cooking? They were talking about this type of cooking on the radio yesterday. Sounded really good and was thinking of trying it.

Sous-vide (/suːˈviːd/ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English); French for ‘under vacuum’)[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide#cite_note-dict-1) is a method of cooking (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking) in which food is sealed in a vacuum-sealed plastic pouch then placed in a water bath or in a temperature-controlled steam environment for longer than normal cooking times (usually 1 to 7 hours, up to 48 or more in some select cases) at an accurately regulated temperature much lower than normally used for cooking, typically around 55 to 60 °C (131 to 140 °F) for meat and higher for vegetables. The intent is to cook the item evenly, ensuring that the inside is properly cooked without overcooking the outside, and retain moisture.

http://www.vacuumsealerdigest.com/how-to-use-your-vacuum-sealer-for-sous-vide-cooking/

AgSilver
01-28-2017, 09:26 AM
I use either ziplocs or bags sealed in the vacmaster. Just depends on the situation

ajr5406
02-04-2017, 09:31 PM
What sous vide machines do you guys use? The more I research this method the more interested I am in trying it.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-04-2017, 09:58 PM
I own one of these ...

Awesome

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d4/ba/79/d4ba7961d9996787e2abaa957715eeda.jpg

winchester284
02-04-2017, 10:28 PM
I'm using the Anova... inexpensive, works great!

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/?gclid=CjwKEAiAlNbEBRCv9uy4j4SWrgwSJAB5MqJFaNj7Wwp ItvQI_ulCfoE4sS34wgHAQ_9jsHVXU_w7dRoCFSPw_wcB (https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/?gclid=CjwKEAiAlNbEBRCv9uy4j4SWrgwSJAB5MqJFaNj7Wwp ItvQI_ulCfoE4sS34wgHAQ_9jsHVXU_w7dRoCFSPw_wcB)

Danny
02-15-2017, 12:23 PM
I have the same one as Mikey . Works awesome . Hands down the only way to cook duck breasts !!!

AgSilver
02-15-2017, 12:50 PM
I have two of the Anova PC bluetooth only / non-wifi version (honestly, that whole wifi/bluetooth etc shit is pointless...turn it on to the expected temperature and let it ride).

I like the looks of the ChefSteps Joule but don't really need another one.

Foodsavers suck for vac sealing. Vacmaster chamber sealers are way better. Amazingly so, actually.

M.Dean
02-15-2017, 12:57 PM
I've always had great results with a cast iron frying pan( pronounced "Frying Pan")! You see, I'm kind'a stuck on the idea of the sight's and sounds and the aroma of a "Hands On" type of cooking! You know, like your great great Grand Mother used to do every day to feed the family kind'a cooking! I very likely doubt any of you's has cracked a egg into a red hot cast iron pan filled with bacon you shoved to the side, and then yell and scream cuz the grease splattered up and burnt your arms! Or, better yet, after your steak is done to perfection, the kitchens filled with the smell of one dam fine meal you've just prepared for everyone, the second the steaks out of the hot pan, in go's a thick chunk of home made bread you rub all around the pan and get every little drop of "Dripp'ins"! Pure Culinary heaven! So ya, before I get too off topic and hungry here, Nope, don't got one of them Star Wars, beam up my food Scotty kind'a cookers here! Cast Iron and Meat, Can't be Beat! (just made that one up?)

AgSilver
02-15-2017, 02:03 PM
I have definitely had a lot of overcooked food out of cast iron in my day. But cast iron is nice for searing the stuff that you Star Wars Beam Up first...best of both worlds!

Danny
02-17-2017, 09:07 AM
I've always had great results with a cast iron frying pan( pronounced "Frying Pan")! You see, I'm kind'a stuck on the idea of the sight's and sounds and the aroma of a "Hands On" type of cooking! You know, like your great great Grand Mother used to do every day to feed the family kind'a cooking! I very likely doubt any of you's has cracked a egg into a red hot cast iron pan filled with bacon you shoved to the side, and then yell and scream cuz the grease splattered up and burnt your arms! Or, better yet, after your steak is done to perfection, the kitchens filled with the smell of one dam fine meal you've just prepared for everyone, the second the steaks out of the hot pan, in go's a thick chunk of home made bread you rub all around the pan and get every little drop of "Dripp'ins"! Pure Culinary heaven! So ya, before I get too off topic and hungry here, Nope, don't got one of them Star Wars, beam up my food Scotty kind'a cookers here! Cast Iron and Meat, Can't be Beat! (just made that one up?)

M.Dean, with the Sou vide cooking method you still use the cast iron pan but only for a few second to char the outside of the steak . You can not produce the same results with just the pan . If you like medium rare you get medium rare all the way through, Not well done on the outside and rare on the inside like you do with just a pan !
I to was a hot cast iron pan guy like you ,but once I tried Sou vide I would never cook a steak any other way .

jeff341
06-01-2017, 05:32 PM
CSG is correct. This method is the best for the tougher cuts of meats often turned into ground......

MB_Boy
01-12-2018, 01:21 PM
Did my first attempt last night with the Sous Vide machine we got for Xmas. Elk tenderloin turned out fantastic, took about an hour to get it medium rare; crushed garlic, rosemary a bit of oil and pepper in the bag then seasoned with a bit of salt before the sear. Definitely not the style of cooking if in a rush but it sure does a great job. As the water temp stays constant apparently you can't overcook it....stayed at 126 F and was melt in your mouth.

This is the machine we have https://sansaire.com/sous-vide-machine/

TexasWalker
01-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Check out ChefSteps on YouTube.
They're out of Seattle, tons and tons of sous vide tricks and recipes.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-13-2018, 06:03 PM
lots of Sous vide vids on youtube and several groups on Facebook etc ...

Like everything else however you have to have a bullshit filter on and try to filter through self absorbed douches with a god complex.

I find there are more people just willing to share their stories and how stuff turned out more often than not

Bag1
01-14-2018, 12:52 AM
love my Anova, aside from the ribeyes being perfectly medium rare edge to edge everytime,
I really like the versatility of it too,
Poached or softboiled eggs were always a little hit and miss with me, now perfection and consistency everytime as well. and no super rush to get them out of the water either a few mins here or there is a non issue.

bogman
01-16-2018, 01:51 PM
love my Anova, aside from the ribeyes being perfectly medium rare edge to edge everytime,
I really like the versatility of it too,
Poached or softboiled eggs were always a little hit and miss with me, now perfection and consistency everytime as well. and no super rush to get them out of the water either a few mins here or there is a non issue.

curious as how to poach an egg in one of these

Bag1
01-16-2018, 07:28 PM
heres the quick method, bring water to 75* add eggs set timer for 13 mins, when time is up crack eggs and slide em onto a piece of toast.
so easy...so good. you can also do up a bunch ahead of time and refridgerate for up to 1 week, when you want to eat them just reheat for 10 mins and enjoy

ajr5406
04-10-2018, 01:21 PM
Resurecting this old thread....

Thinking of getting a Sous Vide pretty soon. It seems that the Anova ones are quite good and popular, but are there any other recommendations?

moosinaround
04-10-2018, 01:39 PM
I knew a Sue Vide once, and yes she could cook a mean steak! Huh, didn't know she was on Youtube? Moosin

albravo2
04-10-2018, 01:46 PM
Resurecting this old thread....

Thinking of getting a Sous Vide pretty soon. It seems that the Anova ones are quite good and popular, but are there any other recommendations?

I might bite too. Haha, see what I did there? Bite! I crack me up.

The Anova one is on Amazon.ca for $129. I seem to recall investigating this a few years ago but the machines were really expensive. Nice to see some progress on pricing.

nazarow
04-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Have an Anova. Great machine. Don’t have any experience with other brands.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-10-2018, 05:21 PM
Walmart has em for 100 but expect walmart quality ...

couple places in the lml have various models

Anova and Joule seems to be the go to circulator sticks

some have instant pot brand, chefsteps ... few other

I personally have a water Oven style but am gonna invest in a couple of circalator sticks to suppliment my Water Oven. Do veg .... seafood etc all while doing a cook.... it also allows me to do a steak while doing a long roast cook as well

they will be either Anova or Joules

winchester284
04-10-2018, 08:32 PM
Anova is the unit I’ve been using for over a year.... can’t say enough how well it works on lean wild meat. I can toss in a frozen vacuum packed roast and 4-6 hours later it’s cooked perfectly to medium rare. Then I pop it under the broiler for about 5 minutes a side and you can’t getting a moister, tender roast!

ajr5406
04-11-2018, 07:16 AM
Anova is the unit I’ve been using for over a year.... can’t say enough how well it works on lean wild meat. I can toss in a frozen vacuum packed roast and 4-6 hours later it’s cooked perfectly to medium rare. Then I pop it under the broiler for about 5 minutes a side and you can’t getting a moister, tender roast!

Sounds like the Anova is the winner! Think this is the one ill buy too. Thanks for the feedback...

blackhawk19
04-11-2018, 07:59 AM
Awesome . Did eggs benny . Yolks came out like custard

ajr5406
05-22-2018, 08:27 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6953&stc=1

Tried the Anova for the first time: rack of lamb cooked @ 138 degrees for 90 mins, finished with a sear in a hot pan, basted with butter (served with grilled asparagus and a root vegetable puree).

The lamb meat itself was spectacular - very tender and tasted great. I was dissapointed with fat though - it didnt render away like when roasted in the oven. Perhaps not the best cut to use with a sous vide?

Will keep experimenting...

haggis
05-27-2018, 09:24 PM
just make sure you read up on it, great when done right , down right bug incubators if not.. BTW after much discussion with now retired chef ( wife ) I've been authorised to buy one .. dam good at doing kippers in butter sauce and mackerel .
Lamb , I'd place in broiler for browning , trim fat before cooking as the "taste" comes from the fat , especially new zealand 3yr old..