PDA

View Full Version : High end spotters

Fisher-Dude
07-05-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm heading up to Wholesale this weekend, and if a weak moment hits, I might pick up a high end spotter. If I do, it will be Leica, Zeiss, or Swaro. Any other brands won't make the cut. 8)

Who has experience with which models? Do you find a fixed 20x sufficient for sheep hunting, or would a 15-45x zoom like the Zeiss be best?

bigwhiteys
07-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Who has experience with which models?

Zeiss, Swaro & Bushnell.

Do you find a fixed 20x sufficient for sheep hunting, or would a 15-45x zoom like the Zeiss be best?

No to the fixed power. 15-45x would be fine. 60x can't be used that much anyways... unless it's cool out. I now have a zeiss 80m 20x60. Awesome scope.

Carl

Brambles
07-05-2007, 08:52 AM
I have the zeiss 65 15-45x angle eyepiece. I like it

You'll probably have to spend some time deciding between objective lense diameter and eyepiece postition ie: straight or angled

If you stick with a proven highend scope manufacturer then I'm sure you'll be happy like zeiss, swaro, leica and even the bushnell elites are good especially since they are compact, crystal clear and better priced unfortunalty they are 12-40x

The zeiss comes factory with HD glass and with the swaro its a rather expensive option.

I haven't looked through a swaro so I can't compare.

Seeadler
07-05-2007, 10:00 AM
I have a Leica APO 62, but to my eyes, the Swaro HD is more usable at higher power level.

Gateholio
07-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Find the one that works best for your eyes..I use a Zies 15-45 straight eyepiece, and it's great.

Cameraland in NY often has very good prices on optics...

Fisher-Dude
07-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Gate, do you have the 65 or 85 Zeiss body?

Brambles
07-05-2007, 10:29 AM
if he's got the 15-45 then its the 65.

They both use the same eyepiece but its the body that gives the extra power.

85 gets you 20-60x

boxhitch
07-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Go with the 80 mm. Your front rack capacity can handle it and the fixed post mount. Angle eyepiece will allow you too keep it lower to the handlebars and view without neck strain. May have to ttrim the helmet visor for clearance.

Fisher-Dude
07-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Go with the 80 mm. Your front rack capacity can handle it and the fixed post mount. Angle eyepiece will allow you too keep it lower to the handlebars and view without neck strain. May have to ttrim the helmet visor for clearance.

That's good advice! :wink:

Brambles
07-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Just a side note Fisher-dude, the angle eyepiece is really great especially if your spotting from the seat of your truck, you don't have to change your seat postion at all to scan over 180 degree's, might sound a little confusing but the way the scope twists on the body and the angle of the eyepiece really makes it flexible, even seated on the mountainside you don't have to change your seating position as much.

Plus you can get away with a shorter tripod
Plus your head is angled down so the ambient light isn't as bright on your
eye's
Plus easier on your neck. Less strain

Drawback, if your spotting in the rain the lense is pointed up and could collect more drops when you pull your head away, not a big deal, wear a sombrero:)
Drawback, a little harder at finding a specific target when you are first getting use to it, not a big deal after you have used it for a while.

I find there are more advantages to an angled eyepiece than disadvantages.

boxhitch
07-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Somedays, it just too easy to doze off, laying down looking through the angled spotter. Need a sandbag for undr the chin :)

Gateholio
07-05-2007, 11:35 AM
I prefer the straight eyepiece for it's versatility, although for spotting straight up mountiansides the angled one is better...Much of this is personal preference, just liek some eyes prefer differnet optics. I like Leica binos compared to Swaros, for instance, although there is nothing wrong wiht the Swaros, of course.

srupp
07-06-2007, 09:26 PM
I chose the LEUPOLD Gold ring 12-40..x65 in HIGH DEFINITION(HD) and love it ... very clear crisp images....I was spotting a collie dog walking amongst the trees right across the Williams Lake valley...will know more when finished the first hunt with it in several weeks..

Steven

pupper
07-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Has anyone tried the winchester brand spottes?
I know they are probably not high end but I am curious to how they perform??

boxhitch
07-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Maybe in the wrong thread :-D . try a new one, named "Entry level spotters"

kutenay
07-07-2007, 07:33 AM
I have tested the Zeiss 65, the Swaro 65 in both glass types and I bought the Leica 62 Armoured, yeah, it weighs more, but after smashing my first B&L spotter to pieces on a rock, I wanted the additional protection.

I also have a Leupold 25X Compact and it is OK, but, nothing like any of the top three. As Gates says, buy the one that works best for YOU and be happy.

tuchodi
07-07-2007, 08:57 AM
You cant go wrong with any of the three big names Swaro,Zeiss, or Leica. If you can, try looking throught both the Verticle and horizontal eye piece to see if you feel more comfortable with one or the other. We have in our camp all three and I have looked throught all of them in all sorts of conditions and nothing to chose between except personal preferance. Brambles post was right on the money with pros and cons. Good luck with your choice.

Kechika
07-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Swaro ATS 65 H.D.Love mine

Fisher-Dude
07-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Swaro ATS 65 H.D.Love mine

I've seen yours work. You spotted a hottie all the way across a crowded room. :wink:

Kechika
07-07-2007, 09:20 AM
I've seen yours work. You spotted a hottie all the way across a crowded room. :wink:
Its not the spotter,ya just gotta know where to look:wink:

Stone Sheep Steve
07-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Well, we know it's not going to be a backpack spotter so go for gold F/D! Get the 180mm objective:-D! Beef up the suspension a bit on your quad and Duramax and you'll be fine.

SSS

boxhitch
07-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Its not the spotter,ya just gotta know where to look:wink:
It seems F-D is convinced he will look better with a good scope in hand. :confused:

GoatGuy
07-07-2007, 10:36 AM

One shot had one of them for a day.

Should have just packed beer bottles - use the empties as a spotter and a case of beer would have probably been lighter and definitely clearer.

Flinch
07-08-2007, 08:26 AM
I can see F/D strolling across the room just itching to try out his new line on some cougar....."I'm not happy to see you, that's just a Leica in my pants"

Fisher-Dude
07-08-2007, 08:36 AM

Should have just packed beer bottles - use the empties as a spotter and a case of beer would have probably been lighter and definitely clearer.

Sounds more like One Shit's track record with women, not spotters. They don't last, they are unclear, and definitely heavier than a case of beer.

I fondled a Zeiss 65 and Swaro 80HD yesterday at Wholesale. That was all they had in stock. Both were sweet, the Zeiss was much smaller of course, but I wasn't thrilled with the fit and finish of the one they had on display. Wish they had a Swaro 65HD to compare to the 80HD.

BTW, the new Wholesale is a nice store with friendly, helpful staff. I was impressed with the customer service, and the prices were good too compared to other places.

Fisher-Dude
07-08-2007, 08:37 AM
I can see F/D strolling across the room just itching to try out his new line on some cougar....."I'm not happy to see you, that's just a Leica in my pants"

LMAO! I better buy the biggest one they sell if that's what I use it for! :mrgreen::redface:

Stone Sheep Steve
07-08-2007, 10:56 AM
F/D-If you're going to purchase a good highend spotter go see Larry @ Fisher's Hardware in Vernon. Great guy and service! I'd rather see the $ go to a small store like his.
Tell him StoneSheepSteve sent you:-D!

SSS

one-shot-wonder
07-09-2007, 11:43 AM

Not a big fan of the Winchester optics. I found them extremely heavy (should have had GG carry them in his pack, and I take the tent)

The clarity was marginally equal to a Bushnell, but what do you expect for a few hundred dollar spotter. The case they come is pretty cool, guys like to use them for packing around there HG.

one-shot-wonder
07-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Sounds more like One Shit's track record with women, not spotters. They don't last, they are unclear, and definitely heavier than a case of beer.

I fondled a Zeiss 65 and Swaro 80HD yesterday at Wholesale. That was all they had in stock. Both were sweet, the Zeiss was much smaller of course, but I wasn't thrilled with the fit and finish of the one they had on display. Wish they had a Swaro 65HD to compare to the 80HD.

BTW, the new Wholesale is a nice store with friendly, helpful staff. I was impressed with the customer service, and the prices were good too compared to other places.

Live and learn buddy!

I used to run around with "Low end optics" there easy to pickup, light on the wallet, although if they fall off the quad while being mounted just dust 'em off and re-mount, good as new.
I have learned to go with "High end optics" little more pricey, more reliable, definatley more useful, look and feel better in your hands....they take a pounding and last a lifetime.

Now I run around with a Swaro :cool:, I have left all the Winchester/trashco/Bushnells for you F/D! :mrgreen:

Nevermind wholesale, the corral has cheap deals on Friday night good luck!:wink:

Fisher-Dude
07-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Nevermind wholesale, the corral has cheap deals on Friday night good luck!:wink:

Is that what GG meant when he said he was stopping in for happy hour? My question is, why would it take a whole hour? :confused:

one-shot-wonder
07-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Back to Spotters....What are you guys using underneath your optics?

No sense spending all that money on nice glass only to have the tripod underneath shake like Fisherdude reading a "No motor vehicle access" sign.

Anybody have any recommendations for high end tripods?

I have read on this forum that the Manfrotto is pretty well liked.

Do you guys prefer 3 legged or 4 legged pods?

boxhitch
07-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Do you guys prefer 3 legged or 4 legged pods?

Out of all the hunters i've seen or talked to, only one comes to mind that would use a quad-pod.

GoatGuy
07-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Is that what GG meant when he said he was stopping in for happy hour? My question is, why would it take a whole hour? :confused:

It ain't like riding one of them bulls you patrol for FD.

Shouldn't look like one and a person should be able to hang on for more than 8 seconds.

Course old dogs can't learn new tricks - good thing you got the heavy duty suspension in that truck.

Fisher-Dude
07-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Well, we know it's not going to be a backpack spotter so go for gold F/D! Get the 180mm objective:-D! Beef up the suspension a bit on your quad and Duramax and you'll be fine.

SSS

No sense spending all that money on nice glass only to have the tripod underneath shake like Fisherdude reading a "No motor vehicle access" sign.

Out of all the hunters i've seen or talked to, only one comes to mind that would use a quad-pod.

Course old dogs can't learn new tricks - good thing you got the heavy duty suspension in that truck.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think you boys were rippin' me. It's a good thing that proteges like you guys look up to a mentor like me. Makes me feel all warm n fuzzy. 8)

boxhitch
07-09-2007, 07:48 PM
What comes around, goes around, Dude. :)

Fisher-Dude
07-26-2007, 09:55 PM
F/D-If you're going to purchase a good highend spotter go see Larry @ Fisher's Hardware in Vernon. Great guy and service! I'd rather see the $ go to a small store like his.
Tell him StoneSheepSteve sent you:-D!

SSS

I took your advice SSS. And, got great service, met a great guy, and got a great price. Thanks everyone who helped me with the decision. I went with the Swaro STS65HD.

I set it up on my sundeck today, and could read the name and phone number on a residential, regular sized real estate sign across the valley! :mrgreen:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Hpim0191.jpg

Brambles
07-26-2007, 11:07 PM
WOW Dude, nice spotter. Can't go wrong when you buy the best.
Never looked through a swaro, got such a good deal on my Zeiss that I couldn't pass it up but I have always been curious on the difference.

Nice job

Brambles

GoatGuy
07-26-2007, 11:22 PM
I took your advice SSS. And, got great service, met a great guy, and got a great price. Thanks everyone who helped me with the decision. I went with the Swaro STS65HD.

I set it up on my sundeck today, and could read the name and phone number on a residential, regular sized real estate sign across the valley! :mrgreen:

What's with the tripod???

Get the window mount out!:shock:

Stone Sheep Steve
07-27-2007, 07:03 AM
What's with the tripod???

Get the window mount out!:shock:

If he got the window mount he'd have to get a window for his quad.:-D

Nice purchase F/D! 8)
Now you can checkout some spots in the E. Koots from Big White:-D.

What kind of tripod is that??

SSS

Fisher-Dude
07-27-2007, 07:17 AM
It's the tripod from my Leupy Sequoia. It only weighs a few ounces, so it's likely going in my pack.

Don't worry GG, I have the window mount already. Unfortunately, I can now see MUCH further than I can walk. :???: I'll send you young bucks up to bird dog the rams down to the road for me! :wink: