PDA

View Full Version : Time to Report In...

Cyrus
12-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Tag Soup...2 yrs in a row...I think I would win Canada's Worst Hunter if there was such a reality show....Who else is going to the food bank this year or has to eat horrid store bought beef? Time to change everything next year.

adriaticum
12-10-2016, 06:05 PM
I think that's because you're hunting MU 0-1

Spy
12-10-2016, 06:13 PM
No tag soup here :-)

nazarow
12-10-2016, 06:19 PM
I filled 3 grouse tags....

takla1
12-10-2016, 06:19 PM
Tag soup for me,hell its about time as my gun stocks full of notchs from 45 yrs of hunting
I was getting worried id come back in the next life as a bull moose juring a huntin season anyways..payback is a b---h

takla

Slinky Pickle
12-10-2016, 06:21 PM
Kills this year

2 x black bear
2 x whitetail deer

Tags eaten this year

1 x moose
1 x elk
1 x cougar
2 x mule deer

Quite happy with the status of the freezer!

mpotzold
12-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Tag Soup...2 yrs in a row...I think I would win Canada's Worst Hunter if there was such a reality show....Who else is going to the food bank this year or has to eat horrid store bought beef? Time to change everything next year.

Don't feel bad! I had to cancel 2 major planned hunting trips!:cry: First time ever! Even had a doe tag in 5-03(Nov)-a cinch. Even renewed the SPOT.
Eve had a major surgery mid August & is still recovering slowly but surely. It will take at least another 3 months for almost a full recovery. She had to stay in the city close to the hospital just in case.
It's a case of Standing By Your Woman.:-P

mike31154
12-10-2016, 07:20 PM
I got a duck a while back, but deer tags uncut for 2nd season as well. Went out for one last kick in region 3 this afternoon, no joy. I thoroughly enjoyed all my outings, but a little bit of luck would be nice. To add insult to injury (other way 'round?), as I backed into my driveway at 17:30 hrs., 3 Mule Deer were having a snack in my back yard. My arrival hardly spooked them, they didn't vamoose until I had half unloaded the vehicle & ventured out on to my deck. Once the light came on, they stared at me for a few moments, 20 feet away & slowly made their way out of the yard into the alley.

Bugle M In
12-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Don't feel bad! I had to cancel 2 major planned hunting trips!:cry: First time ever! Even had a doe tag in 5-03(Nov)-a cinch. Even renewed the SPOT.
Eve had a major surgery mid August & is still recovering slowly but surely. It will take at least another 3 months for almost a full recovery. She had to stay in the city close to the hospital just in case.

Well, we all wish her a speedy and full recovery....
Much more important than hunting....

mpotzold
12-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Well, we all wish her a speedy and full recovery....
Much more important than hunting....

Well. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I'm sure it will make her evening!:smile:

12-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Don't feel bad! She had to stay in the city close to the hospital just in case.

this above ....... Is as good as it gets right there.

Those we hold closest to us mean the most to us ......... Goes both ways. We need to be each other's Rock some times. And I'd have no issue eating tag soup for my better half as well.

Good on you!

CT

srupp
12-11-2016, 03:42 AM

Wish Eve the best...will always be another season..wives should be forever..well done.
Susan had surgery last week..doing fine..
As for this year....just a moose..never went after deer at all seriously..too much physio..
Cheers
Srupp

hunter1947
12-11-2016, 08:10 AM
My thoughts are is if its year after year you're not getting your game meat its time to change everything 360 new areas more scouting putting out game cams etc just
what you said at the beginning of your thread..

Its not that you're a poor hunter its that you're not where there are lots of game animals..

Steve W
12-11-2016, 09:12 AM
With a temporary move from BC to Alberta I've put my passion for mule deer hunting on hold. Lived in Kamloops area for 11 years and had some good years, not always harvesting a deer, but scouting areas and just being in their habitat was always rewarding. For about twenty years my main focus was mule deer. Hunting in AB is quite different where I live. Mule deer are on draw and whitetail hunting is mostly on private lands. Permission is tough to get. I changed over to duck and goose hunting for the past two seasons. Lots of opportunity and permission to access private land is easy to get for birds.

I've missed the BC mule deer hunting, but the change to another type of hunting has been great. Learning new techniques and the intricacies of setting up decoys had been very interesting. Maybe a change of species and techniques might be the ticket. All sorts of new gear to buy too! I'll be moving back to BC soon and will re-focus on mule deer I'm sure. However, I'll also be back out here for birds too.

Lozzie
12-11-2016, 09:51 AM
Tags Cancelled- 5x5 Whitetail Buck
Leh Muley Flat Top Meat Sack
Cougar

Tags Eaten- Leh Moose(don't want to talk about it so don't ask)
Elk

Managed a few Geese and Grouse too, but will out there trying to hammer the waterfowl as soon my spots thaw a bit.lol

russm
12-11-2016, 10:14 AM
I went 5 seasons after i my firsf white tail, finally snapped the mulie curse this year with my first buck, I didn't buy many tags this year so I didn't fill my bear tag, thats it for a change, did pretty good on grouse too.

carnivore
12-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Just missed a hat trick this year ( 2WT & 1 MD) had to settle for 2 WT.:)

ian745
12-11-2016, 11:49 AM
soup for me this year, 3 years running, although i didnt get out as much as i wanted, head just wasnt in it this year, already counting down till next season though, might take a whack at some birds next year though , not sure yet though

huckleberry
12-11-2016, 01:13 PM
Eating 6x6 elk this winter. Not a big problem finding one of them when retired and living where they live.
Still thinking about going out for a archery whitetail if it warms up a little.

luger
12-11-2016, 02:18 PM
Only got out for 2 weekend trips and 2 day trips but still filled the freezer with 2 small bucks. My moto is shoot the first legal buck you see so you have some meat to last the year. Then you can get picky.

Rhyno
12-11-2016, 04:37 PM
Tags filled: 4pt bull elk, 4pt whitey.

Have a buffet of unfilled tags including black bear, goat, sheep, muley.

Yet to be determined: 2nd WT tag and cougar.

Freezer is happy.

rocksteady
12-11-2016, 05:00 PM
Ebb and flow Cyrus.. sometimes it's all bad luck other times it's all good.. hang in there

rocksteady
12-11-2016, 05:03 PM
Like I say to all my hunting buddies when they are getting bummed out...

Go from Zero to Hero in 2.7 seconds

Looking_4_Jerky
12-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Depends what you were focusing on. If you are looking for a big buck, I don't think it's unreasonable to go a few years. If you're looking for any buck, it may be a good idea to reflect on your spots after a couple of years. Don't take offense to that. All good things come to an end, and if you're like me and don't scout new areas when I have one that is producing, the years when the action dies off have good potential to leave you skunked. Then you get pissed off, say forget this area, and go in search of greener pastures. All part of the process.

I personally made some great donations this year: Moose, Elk, WT tags. Luckily, in addition to my victim MD buck, I got to split some MD does with some buddies who held LEHs, and I'm good for meat.

john-brennan
12-11-2016, 07:35 PM
You are a good man.

JAYDEE
12-11-2016, 08:09 PM
I got a moose calf.

r106
12-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Tag soup for me. only got out 2 weekends and had minor surgery in Nov that sidelined me for the rut.

sdurango41
12-12-2016, 02:15 PM
1 mule deer meat buck and was in on a nice bull moose. Also have a little bear in the freezer. Ate WT tag and another MD tag. Better than last year that is for sure. Even have some salmon and halibut in the freezer to keep the kids guessing on what is for dinner!!

Linksman313
12-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Ebb and flow Cyrus.. sometimes it's all bad luck other times it's all good.. hang in there
Amen to that!!
4 WT in the fridge this year including first wt doe for my niece and first wt buck for my bro (30 years in the making no lie!) who both live with us.
45 Grouse, 1 Pheasant, 1 decent Jake turkey, and the waterfowl is still piling up.

Tags for chow
1 Bear
1 Gos Moose (this one stings I was checking in nightly with two moose brothers, one spike fork and one a little bigger then poof once November hit)
1 Gos Elk (always seem to stumble across the browse about 3 days after seasons closed round here)

Still to come
Wolf
Very happy and blessed to have enough meat in the freezers for all this year

HarryToolips
12-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Hey OP: many, many hunters go for years without shooting anything, all that matters is your out getting exercise, fresh air, having fun, and learning...

I got a WT buck and a black bear in the freezer, could have had a legal immy moose that I watched for 2 minutes trying to determine if it was legal, that hurt, but when in doubt, don't shoot...
tags eaten: a WT tag, a muley tag, elk tag, moose tag...but I got one last stab at a WT this next weekend with my recurve...

Angus
12-12-2016, 04:03 PM
Really dogged it on scouting and getting out early in the season. Was relying heavily on my Island elk draw and fortunately, I filled my elk tag in the last hour of light on the last day of our hunt. Half an elk in the freezer.

And good on ya man for putting your hunting on hold to take care of your missus!

Cheers

snipersights
12-12-2016, 06:39 PM
3 bt's one blacky and....... grouse oh and a rabbit or two

albravo2
12-12-2016, 06:51 PM
I don't think of them as tags, I think of them as lotto tickets.

You can't win if you don't have one, so I buy more than I'm likely to need.

That said, I did cut a mule deer tag this year on a boone and crockett two point.

albravo2
12-12-2016, 06:51 PM
I didn't cut a single grouse tag this year, but there is always next year.

Bugle M In
12-13-2016, 11:18 AM
I have 2 problems when hunting.
1) when I am targeting a certain species, say elk, that is what I hunt.....period, so unless a Big Buck just happens to cross my path,
I don't target other species .
Maybe I should, as the Elk Hunting has been pretty slow for me the past several years where I like to hunt.
Could change areas, but I am stubborn, and the area is just a tradition I share with my Father....so in the end, it is a win
regardless......but it would be nice to see more action again!
2) I have just never had the funds or time to hunt as much as I would like, or to see and seek out new areas to hunt.
There is so much of BC I would like to see and partake in, but due to the above reason, I tend to stick to areas I am really
familiar with, which as a result, is also a detriment to my hunting success at times.

No one else to blame for tag soup.
Could have taken plenty of Grouse, and some Hares, if I had wanted.
Best I could do on Elk was a 5 point, although I believe I screwed up on a possible 6 pt on the last morning.
As for Mulies, it was an odd year, really mild, and I feel it didn't allow for the Mulies to concentrate more in certain areas as they
typically would years ago.....something else that is changing, and I need to adapt to better in the future.

Next year, I hope my health improves, but I think that is only a dream now, but I do hope I get out a bit more.
Sounds like I may have info on where to hunt Elk in Princeton next season, and I have the opportunity to use
a Crossbow now, so that maybe a game changer for the future as well.

Tag soup for me, but, that is a problem that only belongs to me.
Til next season!

wideopenthrottle
12-13-2016, 11:35 AM
elk tag soup
moose tag soup
b.bear tag soup
mule deer tag soup
WT (only got 1 tag this year) filled
zero other small game...

finaddict
12-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Elk tag soup
B bear tag soup
and one "Friday" mule deer buck. A "Friday buck" is when, at 3:00 on a Friday afternoon, when you have to go home on Saturday after a week of seeing nothing and a little spike fork walks in front of you. You really were hoping for more, but this is all the hunting gods have offered you for the past couple of years so you take it. He will be tasty and I have eaten too much tag soup ..........

Bonz
12-13-2016, 02:04 PM
tag soup for me this year. helped buddy get his bear was about the only game i saw go down all season.

Asco
12-18-2016, 09:31 PM
No deer for me this year.... but that's fine with me as my 12 yr old got his
first deer on sep2. Beauty 3pt.

My first moose too! A beast and plenty of meat between my partner and I.

considering having the neighbours over for a casserole made from 4 years of 2x bear tags.