PDA

View Full Version : Chain saw chain size?

MichelD
12-10-2016, 02:22 PM
The chain on my old Husqvarna 65 is nearly worn out. In taking it off I see that the drive teeth have the number 3 on them.

My other worn chains also have # 3 stamped on them.

The thing is i have a new chain in my tool collection that needs cutting to length but has the number "52" on the drive tooth. I can't even remember where it came from.

It fits in the groove of my bar, but I wonder if it will cause a problem fitting the drive cogs on my saw or wear the bar out somehow.

I notice in my collection of worn chains that a chain I took off over 20 years ago actually has more tooth to it now than my worn out one so maybe I should just put that one back on. I only use a chain saw once or twice a year to cut wood for hunting camps.

landphil
12-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Compare the distance between rivets (or TEN rivets to be more accurate) to see that the chain's "pitch" is the same. Most likely your Husky 65 has 3/8 chain, .375, as opposed to the smaller .325 or larger .404, which those three pitches cover the majority of saws.

The number stamped on the on the drive lugs refers to the width of the drive lug, and how well it will fit the bar groove. Too loose of a fit, and you'll cut curves. Too tight = too much friction and heat. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that numbering system varies by manufacturer, and am not sure what the number coincides with. Measure with calipers or just check the fit, or maybe someone in the know will chime in and we'll both learn something.

I'm rocking an old Husky 65 too, don't think it will ever die.

Boner
12-10-2016, 02:59 PM
Husky 65 will be 3/8 .058".
Oregon chain, the husky drivers are marked 73. The stihl .050 chain is marked 72.

Ive got a suspicion your "52" chain is .050 chain. Narrower than the rail on your bar. It will fit in there, but will cut funny.

Boner
12-10-2016, 03:00 PM
Do you reload? You can measure the driver width with calipers. Should be .058".

landphil
12-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Boner, there are oversizes as well for worn bars, no? I seem to recall they fitted me with a slightly wider lug last time I got a new chain to bandaid a worn bar, but that's been years, so ???

Boner
12-10-2016, 03:13 PM
Boner, there are oversizes as well for worn bars, no? I seem to recall they fitted me with a slightly wider lug last time I got a new chain to bandaid a worn bar, but that's been years, so ???

I've never heard of that. But I can see a guy selling that, the next up would be .063. But no, the only good solution in that case would be to buy a new bar. Depending on the wood I'm in, a chain may last me a week, or a month. Usually two chains before I throw out a husky/Oregon bar for a replacement. Stihl bars seem to last me longer.

BChunter
12-15-2016, 09:38 PM
Take in the old chain and bar and ask for a skip-tooth chisel chain. You'll love how it cuts!