PDA

View Full Version : Scope Question

hotload
07-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Here's the deal. I got an old rifle with a scope on it. The scope at one time or another hit the rocks somehow, and in the scope I have 2 crosshairs going from left to right and 1 up and down. One of the crosshairs is broken in the scope, but, the 2 that you actually line up with are ok. Now, will the other hairs screw up at one time or another, providing it doesn't go for another tumble. As of right now if you ignore the broken hair and just aim with the 2 it seems to sh:icon_frow:icon_frowt properly. How's that for a question for the knowledgeable ones out there. Any help would be really appreciated.

todbartell
07-04-2007, 10:42 PM
replace it, it sounds beat

Gateholio
07-04-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm wondering if this is some sort of joke???

The scope is junk. Replace it.

hotload
07-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Oh it's no joke Gatehouse. This has been a great 270 rifle and I had it out to the range the way it is and it still groups real nice at 200 yds. The other crosshairs don't seem to be affected at all.

todbartell
07-04-2007, 11:14 PM
so your scope is fine then in your mind. Hopefully it will hit where you aim when the time comes. have fun

WoodOx
07-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Hopefully it will hit where you aim when the time comes. have fun

***** tod :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

hotload
07-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Don't get huffy now haha, I am asking the knowledgable people out here. All I said was that I took it to the range and it shot OK. If the other hairs are going to move and any shot is going to be off, it's hooped and to the trash can with it. I don't need to just hurt anything either.

WoodOx
07-04-2007, 11:46 PM
bullets tend to do more than just hurt ;D

i have to agree with tod on this one - ill go ahead and recommend a leopold

BCBear
07-05-2007, 01:55 AM
Donate it to science and get a new one and you won't ever have to think woulda shoulda coulda.8)

Mauser98
07-05-2007, 07:34 AM
If it's a Leopold, send it to Edmonton for free repairs. Otherwise, buy a Leupold.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-05-2007, 07:44 AM
This happenned to a former partner of mine. He fell with his hands in his pockets and landed on his scope causing the ocular section to jump off the threads. It was a garbage scope so I told him to throw it out and get a decent scope.
Next time we hunted together he said he took the scope completely apart and put it back together:-?. I again told him to throw it out.

.......we were bear hunting and he saw a beast of a bear. He fired until his clip was empty from 165 yds. When he looked through his scope after the "sideshow" :roll: was over, there were two sets of cross hairs just like you described. He finally threw it in the garbage:).

I'll give you the same advice I gave him...............THROW THAT SCOPE IN THE GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SSS

JohnS
07-05-2007, 07:44 AM
ya sounds like a new one is in order, or repair if it has a warenty ... it may shoot good now, but what if your out on a trip and it fails you on the trophy you been waiting for along time.;) just my 2 cents....

Hank Hunter
07-05-2007, 08:25 AM
There is no ? here. It is junk.

1/2 slam
07-05-2007, 09:39 AM
As has already been stated...junk it and buy a Leupold.8)

Mik
07-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Ask yourself this question....After all that time,effort,planning and $$$$ invested into a trip, you have got the trophy of a lifetime in your cosshair(s), you pull the trigger and it takes off....Should I have bought a new scope or kept this one?

IMO, as stated b4, junk it & get a new one.

todbartell
07-05-2007, 12:21 PM
the scope seems fine, keep it! And hunt hard!

Stone Sheep Steve
07-05-2007, 12:34 PM
the scope seems fine, keep it! And hunt hard!
Yeah, maybe just "whiteout" the crosshairs that aren't correct and you should be good to go!!

SSS

boxhitch
07-05-2007, 01:22 PM
That sounds like a Redfield scope, with the BDC. You still can group shots the way you like, so bang on. 'It'll work..... til it doesn't' I like to say.
Remember an old song, maybe Meatloaf ?.....Two outta three ain't bad

Fisher-Dude
07-05-2007, 01:34 PM
This happenned to a former partner of mine.

SSS

Not many repeat customers stay in the Loveshack. :rolleyes::eek: