PDA

View Full Version : Williams Lake elk

srupp
12-09-2016, 07:44 PM
My buddy has been working just north of Williams Lake along Meldrum creek....and he showed me his cellphone video of a really decent bull elk that has been hanging out in the area they are working in.
I had heard of groups at Mcleese lake, up towards Gibraltar mine..and straight east towards Gavin lake and towards Likely.
Seen a few from the chopper but not literally at Williams Lake.seen photos of big bulls at 100 mile house area.

Strange in that this bull is prime, looks exceptionally healthy decent rack, but alone for the past week, and not even remotely upset with machinery or humans within 40 yards.

Not an expert on elk behaviour but nice to see more elk..one at a time.
Steven

LupieHunter
12-09-2016, 08:15 PM
A family friend saw two bulls fighting in a farmers field in horsefly a few years back.

Timbow
12-09-2016, 08:23 PM
West Fraser road around Narcosli creek has a small herd around 40 elk. Seems like every year there are more sightings where you least expect them.

warnniklz
12-09-2016, 08:25 PM
My brother was out mackin creek two years ago and ran into some "exceptional" hunters who had shot a bull elk out there. Father seen a six point by Patenauds ranch a couple weeks ago on his was home from work.

Drillbit
12-09-2016, 08:37 PM
A family friend saw two bulls fighting in a farmers field in horsefly a few years back.

There was a beauty non-typical hanging out in horsefly this summer.

tinhorse
12-09-2016, 08:58 PM
I'm sure he will get "taken care of" soon enough....especially if he isn't scared of human activity

Cordillera
12-09-2016, 09:02 PM
Why don't they just expand in that country once they are there? Seems to have all the things Elk need.

mpotzold
12-09-2016, 11:20 PM
My buddy has been working just north of Williams Lake along Meldrum creek....and he showed me his cellphone video of a really decent bull elk that has been hanging out in the area they are working in.
I had heard of groups at Mcleese lake, up towards Gibraltar mine..and straight east towards Gavin lake and towards Likely.
Seen a few from the chopper but not literally at Williams Lake.seen photos of big bulls at 100 mile house area.

Strange in that this bull is prime, looks exceptionally healthy decent rack, but alone for the past week, and not even remotely upset with machinery or humans within 40 yards.

Not an expert on elk behaviour but nice to see more elk..one at a time.
Steven

GOOD NEWS!
Let's hope it's a trend.
Cariboo area used to be natural elk habitat.(until the moose replaced them!:mrgreen:)
Chilco Choate mentioned in his book the many, many old elk antlers found west of Fraser. He also saw a few.

Was always in favour of reintroducing Elk where they once thrived.:grin:

Everett
12-09-2016, 11:39 PM
He will be dead inside of a week if keeps that up.

XPEIer
12-10-2016, 07:42 AM
Heard one bugling while we were fishing Dewar Lake this fall, heard reports of Elk near (wait for it) Elk Lake and over near Gavin Lake as well. So they are small groups spread all over.

xpeier

tinhorse
12-10-2016, 07:54 AM
Chilcotin has some of the best elk habitat anywhere.......just no, or very few elk. I don't think the ranchers want elk around, like everywhere else in BC

tigrr
12-10-2016, 09:11 AM
There was 2 bulls and 3 cows in Horsefly. The natives shot the big bull. Not sure how the rest of the herd faired.

Jetboat
12-10-2016, 09:56 AM
My buddy lives on the shores of François Lake and was being serenaded every night by bugling bulls this year. Elk will multiply rapidly if given a chance as we've seen in some of the local areas around the Peace. Had a small herd of about a dozen in an area I worked at grow to over 200 in a few short years. Helps that wolves are shot on sight also ;)

elknut
12-10-2016, 02:27 PM
Years ago in 100 Mile House people tried to have a new chapter of the Rock Mtn Elk foundation created.. They tried to have elk reintroduced into the Cariboo...They lobbied the govt ..Of all the stakeholders....The Cattlemens Association Vetoed it...Everyone else was on board ..The only way we will ever have elk here is by them colonizing the Cariboo and multiplying ...We had a big bull in 100 Mile agressively herding a large herd of cows ...He was eventually captured and relocated..They never told us where..Rumour has it that the bull died..

srupp
12-10-2016, 04:42 PM
When buddy goes to work Monday if the bull is still there myself and a professional photographer will head out Tuesday for a drive and see if we can get some photos.
As has been stated correctly. .he is in a pis poor location for long term survivability....
Srupp

NORTHERN HUNTER
12-10-2016, 05:38 PM
I saw a spike bull near Toosey reserve about 8 years ago, also found an older 5 point elk shed out near Big Creek, some logging truck drivers also saw a bigger bull near Toosey.

srupp
12-10-2016, 06:55 PM
This bull is very close to Toomey reserve...not a good location...for any wildlife..
Steven

Bugle M In
12-10-2016, 07:01 PM
Years ago in 100 Mile House people tried to have a new chapter of the Rock Mtn Elk foundation created.. They tried to have elk reintroduced into the Cariboo...They lobbied the govt ..Of all the stakeholders....The Cattlemens Association Vetoed it...Everyone else was on board ..The only way we will ever have elk here is by them colonizing the Cariboo and multiplying ...We had a big bull in 100 Mile agressively herding a large herd of cows ...He was eventually captured and relocated..They never told us where..Rumour has it that the bull died..
That's sad news....
And they say in that old westworld video, that if it wasn't for them.....there wouldn't be any grazing land???
As far as I'm concerned, they should transplant some down in the Cache Creek Area as well.
That would make for some great Elk Hunting...IMO....
The more Elk the better, and it would stretch out the hunters of elk to all over the province....not just the EK,WK and more
importantly for the LM'ers,the Princeton area.

Glenny
12-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Saw a nice big bull around Big Lake Ranch. Good to see them thriving. I i hope all the cats n wolves don't eatem all.

tuffteddyb
12-10-2016, 08:31 PM
Seen a nice bull close too Williams lake this fall .
Also seen a cow and calf up by Alexandria.

wideopenthrottle
12-12-2016, 10:15 AM
saw a big bull up there while moose hunting 20 years ago..i walked into a small swamp/pond and called moose for about 1/2 an hour...as I got up to move on, behind me in the timbers a huge "deer" jumped up... I swung and put cross hairs on it as it wove it's way through the trees away from me..it was the first elk I ever saw while hunting and luckily my brain was able to process that the big white ass was not right for a deer...heheheheh one of those holy crap moments

rocksteady
12-12-2016, 10:43 AM

Steven

One the rut is over the bulls usually go into bachelor bands... Get away from the nagging wives :)

Beaverhunter
12-12-2016, 06:53 PM
This bull is very close to Toomey reserve...not a good location...for any wildlife..
Steven

If there is no Leh or GOS for elk there the natives legally can't harvest an elk.

RE1960
12-12-2016, 07:04 PM
When do they do anything legally!!

bud-aboom
12-12-2016, 08:32 PM
I seen two cows on the chimney lake road on two different occasions this past summer... I have pictures of the one

bud-aboom
12-12-2016, 08:34 PM
Have pictures of a five point bull on the horsefly road as well from
this fall

srupp
12-12-2016, 08:38 PM
If there is no Leh or GOS for elk there the natives legally can't harvest an elk.

I'm sorry, it's been my experience that there are no rules or enforcement for natives anywhere up here, on anything.

Steven

HarryToolips
12-12-2016, 09:21 PM
There is no GOS or LEH for elk in reg3, yet I've heard of them taking them in parts of reg3....don't know first hand however..

Beaverhunter
12-12-2016, 10:29 PM
The way a CO explained to me is if a species is open for GOS say mule deer then natives can shoot does or bucks all year round. If it is open for Leh then the band gets given so many tags. If it's an area with no Leh or GOS then they are not allowed to harvest an animal. Wether or not this actually happens is another thing.

tigrr
12-12-2016, 10:48 PM
These are two of the five that crossed the horsefly river. Then there were 4. Sorry for the crappy pictures. Camera zoom issues.
https://s19.postimg.org/mds3ym4bn/IMG_0838.jpg

srupp
12-12-2016, 11:06 PM
Actually great photo Tigre. .i appreciate your effort..more elk around than I would have guessed...
Cheers
Steven

Ps when are we ever going to do coffee....?

mpotzold
12-12-2016, 11:49 PM
A few years ago Eve & I came across this guy west of Gaspard Lake. He was so huge that we thought it was an elk. We never saw a mule deer this big. Our guess around 350 lbs. min.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/cariboo_2008/Deer3.jpg%7Eoriginal

markomoose
12-13-2016, 07:05 AM
Holy Smokes that is a very large Mule Deer.Beautiful country back there.

Summit 512
12-13-2016, 07:08 AM
WoW Mpotzold that is one big deer

Bugle M In
12-13-2016, 11:04 AM
I spoke once to the former Biologist from Kamloops at a party whos primary job was to observe and record mule deer etc.
The biggest mule deer they ever recorded at the time was a Doe, at just over 400 pounds.
Cant remember where he said exactly, but way north in Region 5...somewhere...he told me, but "old age" has kicked in.

Linksman313
12-13-2016, 11:25 AM
My great Uncle Clarence Simmons who opened up (hunter/guide outfitter/homesteader) large areas around nympo lake and the west chilcotin mentioned herds of elk in his memoir book, "The Endless Reach" (a great read if you come across it, he was an expert outdoorsman and well educated in the natural cycles of native plants and animals in a ruthless region). Not exactly Williams Lake but in the area. Encouraging to hear of more Elk coming back to their once natural habitat.

Backwoods
12-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Right on, good to hear they are popping up all over BC!

walks with deer
12-13-2016, 12:09 PM
Those comments about region 3 harvest..in speaking with kamloops harvesters the band has imposed a 10000 dollar fine for those harvesting elk in their area....

srupp
12-13-2016, 12:21 PM
Hmmm was shown a photo of a 400 pound mule deer buck from out west..4 years ago.body like a calf moose in size..biggest I ever harvested personally was over 300 pounds from Gang ranch area.
No photography this week..
Minus 33 briar rrsp. ..- 36 out west..
Steven

CaribooBC
12-14-2016, 12:04 AM
They are getting to be more of them in the South Cariboo as well. The ranchers have already been taking out some of the "troublesome" elk (with permits of course). I don't think we will get a chance for a legal harvest because of poaching and the ranchers.

hunter1947
12-14-2016, 05:00 AM
50 years ago I used to hunt the redfern lake area mile 178 was the turn off to head into redfern lake there where no elk within this area I was told that you did not get into the elk till you got to the 300 mile mark

Did not take long till the elk showed up within the redfern lake area elk move into new areas over years this is good..

Bugle M In
12-14-2016, 11:20 AM
They are getting to be more of them in the South Cariboo as well. The ranchers have already been taking out some of the "troublesome" elk (with permits of course). I don't think we will get a chance for a legal harvest because of poaching and the ranchers.

This is my concern as well!
I don't think we will get the chance either.
Look at Lyton Herd....Closed and Poached! and in that case, it was FN related from all that I have been in contact with.
Squamish Herd....good luck!....ya, a few LEH, but so what!....they still get poached, and again, in a FN area.
Maybe, if we are lucky, the Pit and Stave herds expand due to their locations and "LIMITED ACCESS".
But how long til roads get pushed in all over the place that a Jet Boat is no longer needed??
And any Elk in the Vicinity of the Fraser, not likely due to Ranching and it's complaints, FN again, and yes...poaching.
Don't mean to sound racists here, and as for FN, it's not all of them, just a few individuals, but that's all it takes,
especially in areas where "Access is Easy".
But Man!, wouldn't it be great to hunt them in all the Regions as a GOS!
Would take pressure off of the Princeton Herds as well as favorites like the EK etc.
Would also be a stimulus to the economy in some of those towns close by as well

Chuck
12-16-2016, 01:38 PM
Chilcotin has some of the best elk habitat anywhere.......just no, or very few elk. I don't think the ranchers want elk around, like everywhere else in BC

I agree with this.

David Heitsman
12-19-2016, 04:37 PM
The Chilcotin elk were transplanted. They are not indigenous. He (Chilco) mentions that in his books too.

xcaribooer
03-15-2018, 01:04 PM
My great Uncle Clarence Simmons who opened up (hunter/guide outfitter/homesteader) large areas around nympo lake and the west chilcotin mentioned herds of elk in his memoir book, "The Endless Reach" (a great read if you come across it, he was an expert outdoorsman and well educated in the natural cycles of native plants and animals in a ruthless region). Not exactly Williams Lake but in the area. Encouraging to hear of more Elk coming back to their once natural habitat.

sorry to revive an old thread but I came across it and had to comment on your uncle Clarence. When I use to go hunting on my uncles ranch near mackintosh lakes in the 70/80's with my dad I was always intrigued with my uncles stories of the area. one topic that came up often was his bad blood with "old simmons" who had a cabin on crow lake (Cossack) and did some guiding back there. Seems to me he said it was Charlie Simmons who I think was Clarence's brother who took over the business when Clarence moved on. I'm sure the bad blood was as much my uncles fault as it might have been the Simmons boys. My uncle had just as many enemies in the country as friends. I have a copy of the endless reach and it is a good read for sure particularly if you are familiar with the country and some of the people.