PDA

View Full Version : Predators

jagen mit DDrs
12-08-2016, 08:24 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/416ruger/004_zps6ac8llky.jpg?1481253178565&1481253180268http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/416ruger/kims%20pics%20001_zpsrtp6c1y9.jpg?1481253178565&1481253180268

jagen mit DDrs
12-08-2016, 08:31 PM
Thought I'd share some of my predator hunting pics with you guys.Seems there is a pile of wolves around this year.
This one is the second one that came in to the call.....first one took 3min.and this one 6min.
Wasn't really after coyotes just teaching one of the pups proper decorum when calling.

Greg
12-08-2016, 09:23 PM
Good job, I wish I lived in an area where I could call predators. Go get double for me.

Rob Chipman
12-08-2016, 09:26 PM
What's the dog think when he first comes up to the dead wolf? (I ask because I had a dog once the really didn't seem to enjoy me skinning raccoons. It was like he started counting legs and noticed a similarity between himself and the .... :-) )

Bugle M In
12-08-2016, 09:43 PM
What's the dog think when he first comes up to the dead wolf? (I ask because I had a dog once the really didn't seem to enjoy me skinning raccoons. It was like he started counting legs and noticed a similarity between himself and the .... :-) )

"Better Him than Me "!!:mrgreen:

jagen mit DDrs
12-09-2016, 07:08 AM

The youngsters normally are unsure and curious with hair bristled up....my 2 year old male tries to retrieve coyotes and if he can't, will dead game bay until I show up(same with wolves).

.308SLAYER
12-09-2016, 07:39 AM
Good stuff buddy what region?

Linksman313
12-09-2016, 08:57 AM
Great pics, what setup are you shooting in the first pic? sidebyside or slug with a reflex sight?

panhead
12-09-2016, 10:18 AM
Stack em' up ...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“There is no such thing as bad weather. There is only inadequate and inappropriate clothing and equipment.”

LBM
12-09-2016, 02:10 PM
Pretty neat are you howling them in or rabbit calling? Is the dog just with you or a decoy dog. I had a pup with me once well calling back and forth with a pack
when they spotted the pup they came in pretty fast. Good luck the rest of the season.

jagen mit DDrs
12-09-2016, 05:08 PM
The first set up is a over andunder 12 gauge with a browning holo sight....and 00 buck lower barrel and slug in upper.
The wolf was shot with a Steyr SSG 69 .308 and 155gr A-max.

Depending on the area I use handcalls,deer in distress or jackrabbit.
I don't use my dogs as decoys....I teach him to go in front of me while walking into an area and if he gets a scent of "game"he'll stop and point or for calling to tell me when something is coming in.

jagen mit DDrs
12-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Good job, I wish I lived in an area where I could call predators. Go get double for me.

Where to you live that you don't have predators?

Greg
12-09-2016, 07:19 PM
An Island that never sees 40 below and has a deer limit of 5 per day and 15 per year (sitka blacktail). We have black bears, but I wouldn't call them predators, they just seem to beach comb and eat salal berries.

jagen mit DDrs
12-09-2016, 11:25 PM
An Island that never sees 40 below and has a deer limit of 5 per day and 15 per year (sitka blacktail). We have black bears, but I wouldn't call them predators, they just seem to beach comb and eat salal berries.

QCI....I do love it but the lack of predators wouldn't make it my most desirable place to live.

dellis
12-10-2016, 10:09 AM
QCI....I do love it but the lack of predators wouldn't make it my most desirable place to live.

Are you thinking straight? Lack of predators would be beautiful! I'd gladly trade the surplus of wolves in the interior for a few more ungulates!
Thanks for the pic of the "good wolf":wink:
Darcy

jagen mit DDrs
12-10-2016, 01:38 PM
Are you thinking straight? Lack of predators would be beautiful! I'd gladly trade the surplus of wolves in the interior for a few more ungulates!
Thanks for the pic of the "good wolf":wink:
Darcy

I love hunting predators and treat them like any other game animal.Hunting wolves is as challenging a hunt as any and they deserve the same "attitude"as any other game species,in my opinion.I know a lot of hunters don't see it that way,which is alright.
Rainer

dellis
12-10-2016, 04:15 PM
I love hunting predators and treat them like any other game animal.Hunting wolves is as challenging a hunt as any and they deserve the same "attitude"as any other game species,in my opinion.I know a lot of hunters don't see it that way,which is alright.
Rainer

Fair enough. They are a real challenge to hunt I agree. So much so that they can not be effectively controlled by normal hunting tactics. Night hunting, or areal gunning, maybe.
I have seen a too much depletion of ungulate populations to have much love for them. I am speaking of wolves specifically.

Cheers.

Darcy:)

jagen mit DDrs
12-10-2016, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=dellis;1856260]Fair enough. They are a real challenge to hunt I agree. So much so that they can not be effectively controlled by normal hunting tactics. Night hunting, or areal gunning, maybe.
I have seen a too much depletion of ungulate populations to have much love for them. I am speaking of wolves specifically.

Well,there is a solution to wolves vs.ungulates vs.hunting...Hunters have to step up to the plate.We as hunters are okay with the aireal gunning of wolves and use the limited funds we have available to this....I say hunters should take charge in controlling wolf numbers...you want a moose or elk tag you have to bring in a wolf first.
I see it here in the Robson valley,hunters bitch about the lack of moose and the abundance of wolves in the area but don't do anything about it.I personally rather go wolf hunting than shoot the last moose in the area.When it comes to depletion of ungulates we can't really blame it all on the wolves either...stupid managament policies,road building,trains etc are also a good part of the equation.

Rainer

jagen mit DDrs
12-10-2016, 11:43 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/416ruger/052_zpsbrfxv9k0.jpg?1481438278358&1481438280193

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-11-2016, 12:05 AM
Awesome!!!

I used to live in the Robson Valley myself long ago.

Great thread!

northernbc
12-11-2016, 12:42 AM
I like your aptitude sir, some great pics and I really like that rifle good job.

mulieaddiction
12-11-2016, 02:37 AM
I love how ppl are going after preds now they are taking ovet and i am acually confused why people wont share good spots for pred hunting when its to help keep there numbers down as the wolfs are killing everything now!

jagen mit DDrs
12-11-2016, 10:25 AM
Awesome!!!

I used to live in the Robson Valley myself long ago.

Great thread!

Did you move to a better place??

I like your aptitude sir, some great pics and I really like that rifle good job.

Thank you,yeah I really like that rifle too...

I love how ppl are going after preds now they are taking ovet and i am acually confused why people wont share good spots for pred hunting when its to help keep there numbers down as the wolfs are killing everything now!

Oh,I wouldn't have a problem telling you where the wolves are.....only to find out they moved 40km in one night.In general,people get all stocked up about wolf hunting until they try it...realizing it's a hell of job to actually connect with them and the passion fades away,they end up where they started..in the local coffeeshop bitching about low moose numbers and too many wolves.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-11-2016, 04:02 PM
Did you move to a better place??

Ish... Just as good a spot, eventually. Still plan to Hunt up that way again sometime yet I have much on the docat! It's one of things now for me like heading up to the Gwaii for Sitka.

ItsGrouseTalk
12-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Keep em coming!

J_06
12-11-2016, 10:52 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/416ruger/052_zpsbrfxv9k0.jpg?1481438278358&1481438280193
Right on, nice rifle and wolf. How big of a snack did it take to get him to stand still for the picture? :p

jagen mit DDrs
12-12-2016, 07:40 AM
Right on, nice rifle and wolf. How big of a snack did it take to get him to stand still for the picture? :p

Had to teach him the "whoa"command first.

Piperdown
12-12-2016, 07:58 AM
Awesome job, i am heading to the cabin in 6-04 tomorrow. Will be there until new years. I have permission to hunt some of the local ranches for preds so am pretty pumped. I know what you mean about being hard to hunt, i have only shot 1 wolf and quite a few yotes. Fingers crossed and looking at the weather it is supposed to be -30, looks like i might freeze my ass off trying :mrgreen:

Boner
12-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Had to teach him the "whoa"command first.

Hahaha you have to show us that one! Nice work, I'm hoping to connect with one this morning. :)

Piperdown
12-15-2016, 06:38 PM
1 yote down at the cabin in 6-04, loads of wolf sign fingers crossed

Rattler
12-15-2016, 10:36 PM
Awesome, keep up the great work. Going to try wolf hunting again this winter. What calls are you using.. FoxPro?

jagen mit DDrs
12-16-2016, 07:21 AM
Awesome, keep up the great work. Going to try wolf hunting again this winter. What calls are you using.. FoxPro?

No.I'm oldfashioned....handcalls.Jackrabbit or fawn in distress.
Rainer

deadlyshot19
12-24-2016, 12:05 AM
Great to see all the predator. I too was curious about hunting wolves with a dog as I have a new puppy this year. Thanks for sharing!

Ohwildwon
12-24-2016, 12:45 AM
Any one capable hunting preds right now or the near future please go for it!..

RiverOtter
12-24-2016, 08:04 AM
Good job Steve. 8-23?

webley
12-24-2016, 09:57 AM
Good job Steve. 8-23?
yes you are right.

pro 111
12-27-2016, 09:39 PM
Rainer , nice wolf and nice paint Job on that gun. Who painted that for you?
Guess Who? LOL

scotty30-06
12-28-2016, 12:21 AM
Don't hear of many wolves or preds in general from region 2?...im gonna be doing my part a lot more after Jan 1 but would love to find a spot for wolves closer to home...instead of having to summit the coq everytime

scotty30-06
12-30-2016, 12:14 PM
Lol yup must not be that many lol

Bonz
12-30-2016, 04:54 PM
all my times in reg 2 ive seen wolf sign once. behind the mission rifle range, used to hunt that with my bow and found a group of tracks walking the ditches.
and cougar a bit more out of town still in reg 2. one was killed recently by my house. sounds like it got hit by a car so was put down.
but yes, we have minimal wolf here. more yotes than anyhting,

Mosin
12-30-2016, 05:30 PM
Don't hear of many wolves or preds in general from region 2?...im gonna be doing my part a lot more after Jan 1 but would love to find a spot for wolves closer to home...instead of having to summit the coq everytime

Try pemberton

Rampager
02-07-2017, 11:07 PM
I had a pretty cool wolf harvest last fall I'd like to share!

In early Septemeber on the Tuchodi river we came back to base camp after a few days at spike camp. Early in the morning around 4am we woke up to elk "chirping" in the distance which was neat but it was much to early to do anything about it. A few hours later we woke up and grabbed our packs and started up to spike camp at the break of dawn. 10 minutes down the trail following the river we came around a corner and saw a cow elk standing in the middle of the river! All 3 of us had cow tags and had agreed that given the opportunity we'd take the first legal animal we see to get some meat on the ground then worry about a big bull later. Not wanting to shoot an animal in 3 feet of water we slowly crept forward thinking that it was strange why this elk would be standing in the river but then we saw why... there were 2 wolves on the opposite shore and clearly the elk was in the river to save its life. We were downwind and the wolves were so focused on the elk they had no idea we were there.

After assessing this unique situation my hunting partner and I got into position to go BANG BANG at the wolves at the same time, then take the elk as it exited the river. But as soon as we got prone and set up on the wolves they spooked! I remember thinking at the time there's no way that was us so what could have it been? My partner's wolf ran one way, he took a shot and missed, my wolf ran the other way at a 90deg angle to me at a 3/4 run maybe 75 yards away, I was steady on him an pulled the trigger and CLICK, the damn safety was on. I quickly snapped it off and lined up on the wolf as he ran across the opposite shore line and BANG got him mid torso, down he went in a heap.

As soon as I lifted my head from my scope I realized what had spooked the wolves, a jet boat with a big ol' V8 had just came into audible range downriver and clearly the wolves had heard it first. What bad luck! Even though it was prime season on the Tuchodi there probably averaged a few boats a day where we were on the river so what were the odds of one coming right at that moment?!?! Throughout all this the cow elk had no idea what the hell was happening around it and took off onto our shore but about 100yds upriver. I had her in the crosshairs for about a second before the shot was gone and she was off to live another day.

About a minute later we flagged the jet boat down as it came past and they drove us across the river to retrieve the wolf (saved having to hike upriver to wade across and back).

https://photos-4.dropbox.com/t/2/AAB1MhlZXVyMyuEyMWxiqwxezUAOX5UY-PswGbK2vRROJg/12/27423624/jpeg/32x32/1/_/1/2/P1040126.JPG/EPirjZ4EGFcgAigC/3nSvCOJbp4dNfZxr-ZXHPnFVp3VwFtlqdIN-epZe-qA%2CcmqnyL2Nqzb3XVnZKedyKUPKT-HamWNbc6jg_K8GV14?size=1600x1200&size_mode=3

By the time we skinned it and brought the hide back to camp and salted it it was just in time for lunch :) And to top the day off we got back up to spike camp later that afternoon and got a 6pt bull elk that evening... but that's for another thread another time.