PDA

View Full Version : Best BC Yukon Hunting or Outdoor Books

264mag
12-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Just in time for the holidays!

After seeing the post about the Red Sorensen book I decided to post this thread. What are some good books about hunting and the outdoors pertaining to to BC and the Yukon.

Please share your favourite reads.

Rackmastr
12-07-2016, 09:43 AM
The "Gone Huntin" series by Pat Ferguson are some great reads

Grizz59
12-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Agree with the Pat Ferguson book,also good reads are Bighorns and Stone Sheep by Chris Kind, Rams of the Rockies by Dalton R. Dean and Henry E. Prante's book Great Hunting Adventures.

boblly1
12-07-2016, 11:01 AM
Rudyard Kipling wrote a book it was titled Forest Patrol. That read way back in the day was great read. Kinda made want to be a game warden when grew up.But that did not happen lol.

panhead
12-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Old Books:
Three against the wilderness
Mink Mary and me
North to Cree Lake
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The universe is better off without us ……

12-07-2016, 11:25 AM
On mountain goats

A Beast the color of Winter

.264winmag
12-07-2016, 12:13 PM
Horshoe in my hip pocket

Ferenc
12-07-2016, 12:25 PM
A book called " That Some May Follow " by Leo Rutledge is a good one... If you can find it.. I have it and it's a good read also about hunting and guide outfitting in BC.

Boner
12-07-2016, 01:06 PM
The two books by Clayton Mack.

Iron-Head
12-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Of man and beast by Manfred Hoefs. An amazing book about northern bc and Yukon adventures.

Blockcaver
12-07-2016, 01:57 PM
"Land of the Red Goats" by Bob Henderson is a good read about the Spatzizi and Coldfish Lake area. I was fortunate to have the pleasure to meet him last fall in Dease Lake.

cpwrestler
12-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Of Man and Beast - Manfred Hoefs.

It might be tough to come by in BC (you could probably call Mac's Fireweed in Whitehorse to see if they'll ship one), but it's a great collection of short stories and anecdotes about game management and hunting in the Yukon in the early days of managment. Manfred is a wildlife biologist who did his PhD on Dall Sheep and published many articles about the animals throughout his career. Some of the policies he helped institute, like horn measurement of all harvested sheep, have provided an invaluable resource to researchers studying game. He lived on and near Sheep Mountain in Kluane National Park for his study and has some fascinating stories about his work and hunting back in the day.

saskbooknut
12-07-2016, 04:11 PM
Bob Henderson's - Land of the Red Goat
Swingle and Shaughnessy - Hard Hunting
Baity -Wilderness Welfare
Abbott - Born To Be in The Bush
Any of Jack Boudreau's books
There are a flock of good BC hunting/trapping books.

Alfonz
12-07-2016, 04:12 PM
Alaskan & Yukon Trophies Won and Lost by G.O. Young.
I know the thread said BC & Yukon but this one is a classic!

Bro 300
12-07-2016, 04:40 PM
Books by Andy Russell

buckshot
12-07-2016, 06:15 PM
Big game records of British Columbia.

Rotorwash
12-07-2016, 06:18 PM
+1 for "A beast the color of winter".
I am currently reading Tommy Walkers "Spatsizi" and would recommend it
I havent read "Land of the red goat" but i hear great things and its on my to read list

David Heitsman
12-07-2016, 08:18 PM
Chilco Choate books are interesting for Chilcotin history.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-07-2016, 08:41 PM
Cordillera by Stan Walchuk

pg83
12-07-2016, 09:17 PM
Mountain Sheep Hunting in British Columbia by Wilfred W. Kingsat

The Pat Ferguson books

Moose63
12-07-2016, 09:32 PM
Grizzly books by James Gary Shelton (thanks, srupp)

Moose63
12-07-2016, 09:37 PM
A Hunt for Justice, by Lucinda Schroeder, 270 p.

Willing to trade for another good book...

eric
12-07-2016, 10:00 PM
There's no such thing as can't.
By Doug Wiebe.
great read...

Bear Chaser
12-07-2016, 10:06 PM
Andy Russell books.
Horseshoe in My Hip pocket by Bob Kjos.
The People and Peaks books about the Wilmore Wilderness.
Reaching the Dream by Garry Vince.
Glowing Embers by Lloyd Cushway.
Danger! By Ben East had a collection of Outdoor Life stories with a few from BC.
Gang Ranch the Real Story by Judy Alsager.
Bannock and Beans by Bob White.

Carbonmatrix
12-08-2016, 01:36 AM
The wilderness of the upper Yukon by Charles Sheldon

Jarrett
12-08-2016, 07:36 AM
Game Trails in British Columbia - A. Bryan Williams

Blackwater River - Hillen

RackStar
12-08-2016, 07:43 AM
Pat Ferguson books
or Andy Russell is a classic.

MikeC
12-08-2016, 09:52 PM
Descent into madness by Vernon frolick

Cordillera
12-09-2016, 08:59 PM
lots here but the best are anything by RM Patterson. He writes beautifully and will make you want grab a canoe when you turn fifty something and head north for a season. Look for Trail to the Interior or Finlays River.

After those I highly recommend:

Land of the Red Goat. Bob Henderson
Gone Huntin. Pat Ferguson
Cordillera. Stan Walchuk
wilderness of the Upper Yukon. Charles Shelton
Spatsizi. Tommy Walker.

kevan
12-11-2016, 11:03 PM
Outposts and Bush Planes by Bruce Lamb is a really good read.
Bruce known as H4831 on CGN lives in Salmon Arm and is a former bush pilot.
I think he also has another book but I can't recall the title.

saskbooknut
12-12-2016, 04:22 AM
Adding a few more:
From Out of the Yukon - Bond
Campfires in the Canadian Rockies - Hornaday
Wilderness of the N. Pacific Coast Islands - Charles Sheldon
Exploring for Wild Sheep in British Columbia, 1931 and 1932 - Wm. Sheldon

Wild Images
12-12-2016, 08:47 AM
Many years ago (1982 ) I bought a couple books at Macs Fireweed
Hunting Adventures With Alaskan Guides
Written by Hal Waugh and Charles Kiem
Couldn.t put them down !!!

Loaned them and never got them back :evil:

If you loan out your books start a list

hellojello74
12-13-2016, 08:19 AM
I have heard of this one many times, but can never bite the bullet to buy it as its a pricey one, but its on my list

Alaskan & Yukon Trophies Won and Lost by G.O. Young.
I know the thread said BC & Yukon but this one is a classic!

boxhitch
12-19-2016, 02:21 AM
Anyone heard of Ian McTaggart Cowen ?

His biography was released last year. The Real Thing

Cowan’s early work in the national parks became the foundation for wildlife conservation and environmental education in Canada. And like his US counterpart and colleague Aldo Leopold, he was part of a secret fraternity that practised a reverence for wildness and influenced three generations of scientists and politicians on everything from conservation of endangered species to the dangers of pesticides and climate change, long before these topics were generally acknowledged.

boxhitch
12-19-2016, 02:37 AM
Campfires in the Yukon
a journal of a hunt in the Kluane range 100 years ago by some tough sob's.
These guys talk about checking out the mountain range like we talk about cruising a golf course
The trek from Whitehorse to Burwash took a couple of weeks back then.

boxhitch
12-19-2016, 02:39 AM
Exploring for Wild Sheep in British Columbia, 1931 and 1932 - Wm. SheldonNeed to find that one.
?????

boxhitch
12-19-2016, 03:05 AM
Anyone read 'Unquenchable Spirit' ?

brn2ryd
09-26-2018, 09:36 PM
I just finished In the Land of the Red Goat by Bob Henderson based on the suggestions of this thread.
I've travelled through Taogga and even stayed at the lodge. I didn't make the connection between the lodge and Author until I read the book.
Now that I've read it, I can highly recommend it.

Jim and Rosamund Pojar, avid botanists, we're hiking in Spatsizi when their children, Andrew and Olivia, we're small. Andrew wore a whistle on a string around his neck. When he met Alex, the chief asked Andrew what it was. Andrew said it was a whistle to scare away the bears. Alex thought about this for a little while, then turned to Andrew and said, "Bear gonna think you a marmot."

LOL

Most of my friends had no idea idea why I found guiding so appealing nor why I would participate in the killing of an animal, especially where the object was to put a severed head on the wall. It's a question I still grapple with. Certainly hunting has been part of our culture for thousands of years, and just as certainly, man is a predator. The act of hunting is extremely satisfying to me. Restricting it to the oldest and most vigorous animals and thereby magnifying the challenge increases the satisfaction. I do, however, distinguish between the hunt and the kill, the later often being anticlimactic for me. And two aspect of hunting are absolutely clear in my mind. First, it is a privilege to trophy hunt, not a right. And second, there is an onus on the hunter to act in the interest of the eco-system when exercising this privilege. The same maxims pertain to fishing and fisherman.

As someone who 'rightously' hunts for food, and not for trophies, this made me stop and think about differences between the two. With all the chatter on HBC about conservation going unchecked in many part of BC, It rings true that without conservation in mind, subsistence hunting damages the eco-system far more then trophy hunting.

Charging Grizzly bears, plane crashes, freezing temperatures, runaway horses - This book had me hooked.

The author dedicates an epigraph:

To the future generations - may their dreams of wilderness adventures be fired by our successes and tempered by our failures

Blockcaver
09-26-2018, 10:00 PM
Just got “Voices from the MacKenzies” by Paul Dueling. Good read about the MacKenzie Mts in the NWT, the outfitters, guides, hunters, etc. Some stories had me laughing out loud. Magnificent country to boot.