PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Hunting Tips

DarekG
12-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Since I can hunt these guys for a while yet, I'm thinking of making trips specifically for them.

Most rabbits I've got were just chance encounters where they were nice enough to sit on the edge of a FSR for me, or turn white early and sit real still in a clearing. I know that everything changes once you actually pursue and go looking for them.

I didn't think I would have a good eye for them in the winter, but it turns out I can spot them sitting still hundreds of meters away - And I have a really good spot where they seem to be thriving. I'm looking for any tips, tricks, or techniques that will help me attain my dream of rabbit stew.

I also have some direct questions...

1> I've only ever hunted them with a .22 which limits me to shooting when they are completely still. I know people hunt them with a shotgun, what type of load would you recommend for a 12 gauge shotgun? Do you prefer hunting them with a shotgun or .22?

2> The area I'm hunting has a ton of snow, and seemingly regular snowfall, I see their "tripod" tracks all over the place and sometimes I see them dart across a FSR. Is it worth following these tracks or are they too alert/clever for that?

3> On the off chance I find their den, but see no sign of them... What should I do? Wait, or leave it?

4> Which sense to they rely on? Vision? Smell? Do they see in color (blaze orange a problem?), do they have good eyesight?

I've looked at tips and tricks online, but I find the behavior of game animals to be very regional so I'd rather get my advice from some local pros. ;)

DarekG
12-06-2016, 06:29 PM
Crap, I just realized there is a small game forum. Could a mod move this thread for me, or should I re-make it? :x

Surrey Boy
12-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Use a crossbow and go to an industrial park. Best hunting ever.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-06-2016, 07:56 PM
Are you after actual Rabbits (Schedule C) or Snowshoe Hare? If they change color and have red meat, then it's the Snowshoe which is what I'm guessing you are after.

1 - I love shotguns! for 12 gauge I like a 1 1/8 load of #4's for Hare. 5's or 6's can be great too. Just pattern your shotgun and go with what it likes best. Just like rifles, shotguns have loads they prefer.

2 - It's worth it! Tracking is a tactic I use regularily... That means it's successful for me or I'd quit it.

3 - Nope, Hare make forms in the ground which are little impressions they stomp to sit/lay in. Rabbits dig warrens, Hares don't. This is one of the few main differences. The others being red vs white colored meat and the fact that Rabbits babies are born tiny blind and hairless whereas the young of the Snowshoe Hare (called leverets) are precocial. The dens you are seeing are from another animal (unless you are talking about actual rabbits as well. Try a distress predator call and see if something gets curious if you'd like... Just make sure it's a legal animal to shoot.

4 - NOTHING spooks Hares like movement. Like most animals, it's what they look for to denote danger.

Happy Hunting, best of luck! I am going to head out for some Hare Hunting myself soon.

adriaticum
12-06-2016, 08:02 PM
I like my .410 for wabbits and grouse

DarekG
12-06-2016, 08:55 PM
Snowshoe which is what I'm guessing you are after.

You are totally right, I'm an idiot. Snowshoe is what I meant!

plumberjustin
12-07-2016, 10:45 AM
When I'm specifically hunting for hares, I like my 20 gauge with #4 or #5 shot. Without a dog, it's nice to get a couple buddies together and make a drive. Don't be stealth, make lots of noise to flush them out of the under brush. And then blast em on the run. We get dozens of rabbits this way. Happy hunting.

SPEYMAN
12-07-2016, 04:34 PM
Hide in a blind and make noises like a carrot. Worked for me.

bacon_overlord
12-07-2016, 04:53 PM
I've tried a few ways. 20 gauge, .22, and. 223..223 was best, but costs a bit more for ammo..22 is next best, provided you can get a decent shooting position or rest and headshots. Try shooting sticks (glorified ski poles) or sitting or kneeling. Shotgun will flatten them, but results on kits of meat loss unless you're quite practiced at bracketing the head. I started with #7 shot with 20 GA and went to a #5 hi brass in case a few pellets strayed you can remove them more easily. Whichever option outs meat on your table is best for you. Try them all.
I've heard but haven't tried pushing thru 2nd growth well spaced pine gets good results. They like to chew the bark off small Pines in winter so look for that and tracks and Wade in.
The ones I've hunted let you walk up slowly to within about 25 yards, using a soft approach.
I'd also recommend the carrot call. That definitely brings them in.

warnniklz
12-07-2016, 05:05 PM
If possible I'd take something with a little more jam and buy a lynx tag as well, I'm sure they're open at the same time and with a healthy rabbit population, I think your chances are increased.

Rotorwash
12-07-2016, 06:24 PM
I go out to areas where i see lots of tracks in the snow . near the end of the day they usually start to come out and move around more. If I stand really still they come out in the open and I pop them with a 17 hmr. thats how I have my best luck if im going out just to get rabbits

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-07-2016, 06:25 PM
I've tried a few ways. 20 gauge, .22, and. 223..223 was best, but costs a bit more for ammo..22 is next best, provided you can get a decent shooting position or rest and headshots. Try shooting sticks (glorified ski poles) or sitting or kneeling. Shotgun will flatten them, but results on kits of meat loss unless you're quite practiced at bracketing the head. I started with #7 shot with 20 GA and went to a #5 hi brass in case a few pellets strayed you can remove them more easily. Whichever option outs meat on your table is best for you. Try them all.
I've heard but haven't tried pushing thru 2nd growth well spaced pine gets good results. They like to chew the bark off small Pines in winter so look for that and tracks and Wade in.
The ones I've hunted let you walk up slowly to within about 25 yards, using a soft approach.
I'd also recommend the carrot call. That definitely brings them in.

I disagree concerning meat loss with shotgun. This has never been an issue for me. Meat loss is much worse with a .22 even... Let alone .223. This goes double if a shot happens to go a bit low for whatever reason. Unless one is using slugs or buckshot! :mrgreen: Then yeah, not much left for meat or bone I presume. Have to presume as I don't shoot Hares with these loads.

12G 1 1/8oz #4 I have yet to recover a pellet after many animals. I do occasionally find #5's or #6's when I'd used them, yet yes they are easily removed from the carcass.

I definitely agree that it's a personal matter. Methods certainly do change up a hunt! It's a much different experience to try for headshots with a single projectile, body shots with archery or hittin' 'em up on the run with the shotgun! No matter how you do it, they taste great and make for some excellent winter time fun!