PDA

View Full Version : WTF happened here?

carnivore
12-06-2016, 08:04 AM
https://youtu.be/ayyhiSUPAeE

A disturbing video sent to Castanet shows what appears to be the slaughter of dozens of deer and moose in an Okanagan forest.
It gives a brief tour through an area supposedly a few kilometres up Oyama Road.
There are an estimated 30 animal carcasses picked clean. Animal hides hang from the branches.
"Many, many skeletons, hides, moose head. Skeletons all over," says the person filming.
Castanet has distorted the voice to maintain anonymity.
"Many of the mule deer were extremely small and it is very doubtful that they were legal antlered mule deer," the video's sender tells Castanet.

Bonz
12-06-2016, 08:21 AM
odd, wonder why the guy needs to disguise his voice. and whgats with the bogus image..i call bs for that alone. if its evidence why hide it this way?

Bonz
12-06-2016, 08:24 AM
quite clean bones for a kill site...transported for video effect?

tipper
12-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Probably highways dump site

Bonz
12-06-2016, 09:02 AM
ya was thinking that to.

russm86
12-06-2016, 09:15 AM
Most definitely the lair of the Sasquatch...

butcher
12-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Or a bait site.

Upearly
12-06-2016, 09:34 AM
This is exactly what it looks like on the Duncan Bay Main road at the edge of the reserve at Campbell River. Coincident ? Disgusting regardless.

Fallkniven
12-06-2016, 10:24 AM
If you had any suspicions, you would just go to the C/O's, why bother posting the video online etc?...unless you felt you had something to gain by advertising your 'find'?

wideopenthrottle
12-06-2016, 10:55 AM
hard to tell from the video but they could have been deboned and tossed (butchering waste) away from where they were killed to recycle the waste back to nature...could easily be nothing...there was a fair bit of bones to discard after our group processed 8 deer and an elk a couple years ago...luckily I know a girl with a dog daycare and raw food business to donate the bones to...

Dash
12-06-2016, 11:03 AM
A lot of possibilities... Why hang the hides in the trees though? Weird.

wideopenthrottle
12-06-2016, 11:08 AM
perhaps just thrown or perhaps placed in the tree so animals can still get at it after the snow would have covered it...nice gesture to keep some pickens up high enough for the birds

wideopenthrottle
12-06-2016, 11:13 AM
when I listened to it again I thought it sounded like hunter1947....that wasn't you was it Wayne?...

metalface
12-06-2016, 11:25 AM
i'm not sure i could make a video of that poor quality if i tried. smells like bs

Bonz
12-06-2016, 11:30 AM
if its a road side dump site the fur in tree make sence as their tossed from an edge of a road.
wish i lived closer, id go film the truth..lol

Seeker
12-06-2016, 12:03 PM
You can drive up just about any FSR that is easy access to a metropolitan area and you will see the same result. I drove up Postill FSR a few weeks back and not 100yds off of pavement was a moose carcass literally on the road, but just off to the side. I saw an additional 6-7 "small" carcasses that were definitely deer bones as I continued not 5 minutes up the road. I personally do not have any issue with returning the remnants of the animal to the bush were it originated, but I think we as hunters may want to be a little more respectful of all the users of the FSR's. etc hikers, off road vehicle clubs, skiers, etc. This video is a perfect example of our laziness causing us grief. When we dispose of our carcasses, please consider simply finding a spot that has a steep bank or side road that cannot be seen by people who are driving through the area (get off the main roads). It is not hard to do. If they can't see it, they will not likely take videos of it that will cast hunters in a distasteful light.

wideopenthrottle
12-06-2016, 12:29 PM
I have personally dragged the same hide 100 feet back in the bush 3 times on the same trip...the animals kept dragging back onto the road to eat the bits off it

Seeker
12-06-2016, 02:56 PM
I have personally dragged the same hide 100 feet back in the bush 3 times on the same trip...the animals kept dragging back onto the road to eat the bits off it

Wow! That is not something I would have thunk of. Regardless thanks for trying.

Slinky Pickle
12-06-2016, 04:03 PM
Maybe a trapper has a buddy that works for highways and gives him the road kill????

As for the video quality, that's pretty typical for a video that has been sent via text message (MMS).

whognu
12-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Most definitely the lair of the Sasquatch...

I'm with russm86 on this one.............

DarekG
12-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Apparently its some guys home business, he preps deer that hunters bring him and this is just a dump site. Even if that's not true, it's likely just a spot a lot of hunters dump their gut piles. That general area has a ton of hunters and lots of traffic.

I don't think it's anything nefarious or weird at all, I come across a lot of carcasses out in the woods.

Crazies on Castanet are saying "This is why we need firearms to be registered." - Not sure what the hell they mean by that, or what it would accomplish.
Just a case of ignorant and sheltered people not knowing where their food comes from... again.

markomoose
12-06-2016, 08:12 PM
Ya when I first moved here I drive a FSR home almost everyday.Had to stop one day for a leak and was horrified to find carcasses everywhere.I called the CO and he informed me it was a highways dump for highway struck animals.OK then I SUPPOSE WE'RE COOL??

skibum
12-06-2016, 10:36 PM
A lot of possibilities... Why hang the hides in the trees though? Weird.

When I was a kid we did something like this at a ranch dump site in the bush, but we went and stuck a bunch of horse and cow skulls sticking off tree branches. Made for an impressive sight.

Dash
12-06-2016, 11:27 PM
When I was a kid we did something like this at a ranch dump site in the bush, but we went and stuck a bunch of horse and cow skulls sticking off tree branches. Made for an impressive sight.

Haha oh my. I'd be terrified to come across that

wideopenthrottle
12-07-2016, 10:03 AM
the last time I hunted moose up near finger lake (about 10 years ago), I filled my cow LEH-last time I applied for cow moose as the place was a moose slaughter zone after the clearcutting...we were camped in a clearing in a remote area by a road.... and our meat pole was beside a stump that was visible from the road....after we skinned it we dragged the hide out of the way (onto the stump) ..with all the snow around, it really stood out and looked like it was lying down from a distance...we had a good laugh about how many holes would be in it before someone checked it closer, so we just left it there...silly stuff I know...heheheh

Linksman313
12-08-2016, 08:25 AM
Looks like the neighborhood carcass dump site to me, check the update https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va5C17Ul1Uw
Nothing illegal according to local CO's, must have been a little shocking for the veggy eating dog walker with the potato cam who filmed it.

Bonz
12-08-2016, 08:44 AM
man does my pc ever not like being on any web pages or facebook page from that castanet group. pc fans go to hi speed and crash from overheating. only media outlet that does that.
thought i had issue here, just found out its only on their page, anyone else notice their pc gets hot while viewing? obvipously ave something going on in the background lol