PDA

View Full Version : The Man Called Red - Book About BC Outfitter

bigwhiteys
12-05-2016, 10:46 PM
This is posted with permission from Gatehouse - Feel free to move if I am in the wrong category.

After years of family (me), friends and past hunters hounding him to put his stories into writing my Grandpa finally sat down and wrote his autobiography, which was self published through a local printing company in Victoria last year. I know some here have already acquired the book through other channels like The Grand Slam Club or Facebook or maybe you picked it up at one of the pit stops along the AK highway. For those that don't know him, my Grandpa is NB "Red" Sorensen a well known guide outfitter from Northern BC through the late 60's, 70's, 80's and into the early 90's. He was a kid who wanted to become a cowboy in the chilcotin, found work as a forest ranger, homesteaded along the halfway, then went on to acquire his own area and become a well known guide outfitter and bush pilot that walked away from 4 major crashes (I flew with this guy many times lol!). Lots of good laughs and stories about his different journey through life, both the highs and the lows.

It would make a good Christmas present for someone who's into books about BC's cowboys, hunting and just that type of general history in BC! The book has received lots of great feedback so far, I thought it was great too but I'm just a little bit biased. The time I got to spend up there as a kid growing up and now still as a grown man are my most cherished experiences.

http://www.themancalledred.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/booksite.png

If you want to order a copy for yourself or somebody else it can be done through his website at www.themancalledred.com (http://www.themancalledred.com) I know from now until December 31st he's offering free shipping on orders of 3 or more. If you'd like a signed copy either let me know via PM or let him know via an email (you'll get it with an order I think) and he'll sign the copies for you.

Bear Chaser
12-05-2016, 10:55 PM
Great book. I picked my copy up in Fort St John. An excellent gift idea for sure.
Thanks again to Willy and Red for putting pen to paper and sharing some of their tales with the rest of us.

Weatherby Fan
12-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Just ordered 3, thanks for posting Bigwhitey

northof49
12-05-2016, 11:30 PM
Hadnt seen it yet....will order one up. Thanks for heads up

smallfry14
12-05-2016, 11:57 PM
Very cool, I'll be getting one soon..

MBOGO
12-06-2016, 07:12 AM
Got it for x-mas last year. Great book !

Avalanche123
12-06-2016, 07:35 AM
Looks like a very interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

Bud
12-06-2016, 09:58 AM
you said it was published in Victoria, is it for sale in any book stores here in Victoria? or on line only?

bigwhiteys
12-06-2016, 10:19 AM
you said it was published in Victoria, is it for sale in any book stores here in Victoria? or on line only?

Yes, it's published in Victoria but my Grandpa is in charge of distribution (self published). I am not aware of any bookstores in Victoria that sell it currently but I'll ask him and post back. It's also on Amazon too.

DeepJeep
12-06-2016, 10:50 AM
just ordered!

Blockcaver
12-06-2016, 11:16 AM
I talked to Red and bought his book at the Kamloops gun show last spring. The book is a good read and the discussion with Red was the highlight of the show! Bigwhiteys....you are a lucky man to have him around.

bighornbob
12-06-2016, 02:37 PM
I ordered the book through amazon in early September and have only read half of it so far. The first half is Red growing up and his early cowboy days and the second half is his guiding years. When I started reading I was going to skip the first half and go right into the guiding years. Im sure glad I didn't as the first half was well worth the read and found it very interesting.

Great book so far, just started getting into the guiding years. Well worth the money.

BHB

eric
12-06-2016, 03:01 PM
Just finished reading it a couple of days ago.
I especially liked the part about his early yrs, cowboying in the Chilcotin.
Highly recommend this book..

BCHunterFSJ
12-06-2016, 03:51 PM
Great book. I picked my copy up in Fort St John. An excellent gift idea for sure.
Thanks again to Willy and Red for putting pen to paper and sharing some of their tales with the rest of us.

Where in FSJ did you buy it Bear Chaser?

Stone Sheep Steve
12-06-2016, 04:28 PM
I ordered the book through amazon in early September and have only read half of it so far. The first half is Red growing up and his early cowboy days and the second half is his guiding years. When I started reading I was going to skip the first half and go right into the guiding years. Im sure glad I didn't as the first half was well worth the read and found it very interesting.

Great book so far, just started getting into the guiding years. Well worth the money.

BHB

picked up a copy from Backcountry Sports in Penticton.

Totally Agree about the first half. They were some tough customers in those days back in the Chilcotin.

Well worth the read.

bigwhiteys
12-06-2016, 07:08 PM
Great book. I picked my copy up in Fort St John. An excellent gift idea for sure.Thanks again to Willy and Red for putting pen to paper and sharing some of their tales with the rest of us.

Thank you! That is actually Willy on the front cover leading out the packstring.

just ordered!

Awesome, thank you! Let us know what you think!

Just finished reading it a couple of days ago.
I especially liked the part about his early yrs, cowboying in the Chilcotin.
Highly recommend this book..

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

I talked to Red and bought his book at the Kamloops gun show last spring. The book is a good read and the discussion with Red was the highlight of the show! Bigwhiteys....you are a lucky man to have him around.

Thank you! He is certainly a character, lol.

BHB

Glad you're liking it! I read it through the first time in about 3 days trying to absorb it all, now I'm doing a much slower pass, lol.

I think you can get copies at the FSJ museum. Not sure if he has any at backcountry though.

picked up a copy from Backcountry Sports in Penticton.

Totally Agree about the first half. They were some tough customers in those days back in the Chilcotin.

Well worth the read.

Awesome! Glad you liked it, SSS!

Thanks again for the feedback everyone!

Bear Chaser
12-06-2016, 07:15 PM

I think at the museum. I've seen it at the local hunting store too.

Haha.Beat me to it.😁

vortex
12-06-2016, 08:00 PM
It's also on Kindle for anyone who has one of those. Its a good read.

xcaribooer
12-06-2016, 08:16 PM
thanks for posting, I will add a copy to my Library for sure

yama49
12-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Awesome book truly enjoyed it. Well worth buying.

WKCotts
12-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Can't recommend this book enough. This man lived a heck of a life and he'll take you along every step of the way.

MattW
12-06-2016, 10:24 PM
I'll also say it's a great book. Read it last summer. A really neat glimpse into ranching and hunting/outfitting in years past. Mr. Sorensen has lead one heck of a full and interesting life.

Ferenc
12-06-2016, 10:47 PM
Just placed a order for the hard copy edition.... It's going to be a good read : )

charlie_horse
12-07-2016, 07:32 AM
I bought it last year I enjoyed reading it. Definitely a different time back then!

Bud
12-07-2016, 11:10 AM
Yes, it's published in Victoria but my Grandpa is in charge of distribution (self published). I am not aware of any bookstores in Victoria that sell it currently but I'll ask him and post back. It's also on Amazon too.

That's great thanks

Rellick
12-07-2016, 10:36 PM
Just ordered it...thanks for posting about it here. I would have never known about the book otherwise.

Weatherby Fan
12-13-2016, 01:17 AM
Received my autographed book, great read so far, Thanks Carl

Ferenc
12-13-2016, 11:53 AM
Truly awesome book... Thank you !!!

bigwhiteys
12-13-2016, 02:38 PM
Received my autographed book, great read so far, Thanks Carl

Hope you enjoy it!

Truly awesome book... Thank you !!!

Glad you like!

There might still be time to ship before christmas if anyone is on the fence. My Grandpa takes it pretty serious, he ships fast.

Weatherby Fan
12-13-2016, 02:46 PM
There might still be time to ship before christmas if anyone is on the fence. My Grandpa takes it pretty serious, he ships fast.

I can 2nd that, I barely had the order filled online and the books were at my door !

Backwoods
12-13-2016, 03:06 PM
Can't wait to read!!

houndogger
12-14-2016, 10:43 AM
Just finished mine. Great read Carl would like to meet him one day when he's down for a visit.

bigwhiteys
12-03-2017, 10:06 AM
Hey everyone! Just a Christmas season bump for my Grandpa's book. "The Man Called Red (http://www.themancalledred.com)". If you're looking for a good read about hunting, outfitting and general cowboy life in BC either for yourself or to give to a friend or loved one for Christmas you should take a look. He's received lots of great reviews.

At 85 years old he's still shipping every book himself and can sign your copy if you ask him too. The books are also available at a number of BC/AB retail stores and I could post a list of places if anyone was interested in just buying it from a store instead of waiting for shipping.

Thanks everyone! Let us know what you think about the book!

REMINGTON JIM
12-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Weatherby Fan gave me a copy a few years back - Its a GREAT read ! :wink: RJ

IronNoggin
12-03-2017, 12:08 PM
... Its a GREAT read ! :wink: RJ

It most certainly is that!! :D
Very entertaining, and I often recall passages from the book when wandering the areas he wrote about.
Should be a must read for any who hunt in BC!

Cheers,
Nog

steve-r
12-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Just ordered my copy. Would love to have him sign it!

eric
12-03-2017, 12:25 PM
A great read as others have said, and some very funny stuff in there as well...

Moose63
12-03-2017, 01:12 PM
Hey everyone! Just a Christmas season bump for my Grandpa's book. "The Man Called Red (http://www.themancalledred.com)". If you're looking for a good read about hunting, outfitting and general cowboy life in BC either for yourself or to give to a friend or loved one for Christmas you should take a look. He's received lots of great reviews.

At 85 years old he's still shipping every book himself and can sign your copy if you ask him too. The books are also available at a number of BC/AB retail stores and I could post a list of places if anyone was interested in just buying it from a store instead of waiting for shipping.

Thanks everyone! Let us know what you think about the book!

Hi Bigwhiteys;

I would like to buy an autographed book. What is his email address to ensure it signed?

BTW, your inbox is full.

bigwhiteys
12-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Thank you for all the feedback guys It's great to know everyone enjoys it!! If you want to email him directly just PM me (I cleaned out my box) and I'll give you his email for contact. You are issued a receipt with his contact details upon purchase, there is also a spot in the PayPal payment to put a "note to the seller" but email would probably be best as he might miss the PayPal note.

I forgot to mention it's also available on Amazon as well.

Thank you again everyone.

Stroodle
12-03-2017, 02:31 PM
Just ordered 3 copies, looking forward to the read!

cassiarkid
12-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Just talked with him this afternoon in Creston at the craft fair. Really nice fellow, told my wife his book would make a great Xmas present!!

cheers

steve-r
12-07-2017, 10:26 PM
After seeing this thread I ordered a copy, arrived yesterday. I was supposed to save it for xmas but I couldnt wait.
finished it today. Great read! Wish I had an opportunity to hunt in one of Red's camps.

Bear Chaser
12-08-2017, 07:31 AM
The book is still in stock at Fort St John museum as well.

Squamch
12-08-2017, 08:09 AM
Ordered, received, and wrapped up for dad's Christmas present.

bigwhiteys
12-08-2017, 09:15 AM
Just talked with him this afternoon in Creston at the craft fair. Really nice fellow, told my wife his book would make a great Xmas present!!
cheers

Yep, he is at the Farmers market almost every weekend it's on.

After seeing this thread I ordered a copy, arrived yesterday. I was supposed to save it for xmas but I couldnt wait. finished it today. Great read! Wish I had an opportunity to hunt in one of Red's camps.

He get's on the shipping pretty quick! Thank you for the feedback, glad you liked it.

The book is still in stock at Fort St John museum as well.

Yes, and I think at several other places along the AK highway too.

Ordered, received, and wrapped up for dad's Christmas present.

Awesome, I hope he enjoys it! Thank you.

Thanks again everyone!

bigwhiteys
11-22-2018, 11:27 AM
It's that time of year again! Just giving this thread it's Christmas season bump. If you're looking for a great gift for the hunter in your family or just a really great read from an interesting character check out "The Man Called Red". It's the biography of my Grandpa N.B. "Red" Sorensen and his life as a BC cowboy and big game outfitter in Northern BC. My dad "Willy442" even has a few stories in the book about his sheep guiding days too.

You can find the book at his website www.themancalledred.com (http://www.themancalledred.com) or it's also available on Amazon.

If you've read the book please consider leaving a review on Amazon he'd really appreciate it. You can find that listing here: https://www.amazon.ca/Man-Called-Red-Autobiography-Outfitter-ebook/dp/B01FLICYW2

If you want a signed copy just let him know Carl sent you!

The cover is a photo of my Dad leading out a packstring. Damn, I miss that guy.

Ferenc
11-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Also he has the “Hardcover” edition as well .... Fine book for the collection .... and an awesome read !!!!
Them were the days ... lots of hard work !!!!

fuzzybiscuit
11-22-2018, 01:01 PM
Very cool. Thanks bigwhiteys, I’m going to get my wife to order up a copy for me for Christmas. She was just asking the other day for ideas...

My grandmother’s maiden name was Sorensen too...

bigwhiteys
11-22-2018, 08:37 PM
Also he has the “Hardcover” edition as well .... Fine book for the collection .... and an awesome read !!!!
Them were the days ... lots of hard work !!!!

Awesome, glad you liked it. I think he's all out of hardcovers.

Very cool. Thanks bigwhiteys, I’m going to get my wife to order up a copy for me for Christmas. She was just asking the other day for ideas...

My grandmother’s maiden name was Sorensen too...

I really hope you enjoy it! If it's Sorensen with an "e" at the end instead of an "o" then we may just be related somehow, lol.

fuzzybiscuit
11-22-2018, 09:26 PM
I really hope you enjoy it! If it's Sorensen with an "e" at the end instead of an "o" then we may just be related somehow, lol.

Can I call you cuz? Lol.

My dad was born in 1944 in the lower mainland and his mother was a Sorensen. Good Scandinavian name...

bigneily
11-22-2018, 09:49 PM
My wife picked me up a copy at the local farmers market here in Cranbrook. Havnt started it yet as I am finishing another called the final frontiersman the biography of Heimo Korth of the tv series the last Alaskans.

REMINGTON JIM
11-22-2018, 11:05 PM
GREAT Book ! Loved reading it Cover to Cover ! :-) RJ

huntingthecountry
11-23-2018, 09:48 AM
Got this book from amazon , was a great book