PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Yalakom Valley for final days of deer season.

ghunter4x4
12-05-2016, 01:39 PM
I have a couple days off starting Thursday, and was hoping a quick hint or two on where to start looking for a final deer for the season. ie how far out of Lillooet should I be?
Thanks in advance.

Sangstercraft
12-05-2016, 05:52 PM
Generally the further the better, but keep your eyes open for tracks as you head up into the snow. My experience is they don't like staying up in the snow. Only had luck in the lower elevations. Also, lots of private land around Moha so check google earth and FrontCounter BC for land maps. Good luck, and please report back so I can live vicariously though my computer screen :)

swampthing
12-05-2016, 06:30 PM
I like your choice. I would go high as possible. Its always been my opinion the biggest bucks will go back high for awhile after the heat of the rut is off. I feel they try to get away from the other deer to enjoy some solitude and try to recover. You wont really see any other deer in an area like this. Of course the less mature bucks will be wherever you find the does. The valley is pretty tight and snow may be an issue. I went up high last November and barely got out because of a snowstorm. I had to shovel parts of the road and line the icy sections with tree branches so I wouldn't slide off the off camber sections. I should have had chains. Remember the hippy/native roadblock is there. Even though dope growing season is over they are still guarding "their territory" . They are friendly though and let you through. They always ask to see my hunt license. I always politely decline and tell them its a privacy issue and only a law enforcement officer can see it. Have fun up there. Wish I was going.

avadad
12-06-2016, 01:47 AM
I was told that the Yalakom bucks would have moved out by now. I'd be interested to hear what happens.

ghunter4x4
12-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Ended up spending time much closer to Goldbridge. Lot of does and small bucks, close to 35 deer the each day. Just nothing legal.. Didn't hunt the Yalakom Valley because of the comments and some very trusted intel out of Pemberton. Sorry it is not more exciting.