PDA

View Full Version : 8-1 (Osoyoos/Rock Creek/Oliver Area) Anterless Mule Deer LEH

dawn2dusk
07-04-2007, 02:22 PM
WEll got the results of my LEH. No moose or WT anterless this year, but did get a mule anterless for 8-1. Pretty excited about returning to this part of the Province. A little later this year (from 0ct 21-31) than last year when i was there for the WT anterless LEH opening OCt 10. Should be a little cooler which will be nice. And closer to the rutt.

What time of year do the mulies rutt in south okanagon?

Any tips on where to find the mulies rather then the WT? I am assuming higher elevation coniferous forests/clear cutts.

How is the weather towards the end of Oct in this area?

Also what is in Rock Creek? is there gas station, grocery store, pizza place, pay phone, hotels? I am thinking it may be less of drive to rock creek than osoyoos area.

thanks for any advice

308BAR
07-04-2007, 02:46 PM
What time of year do the mulies rutt in south okanagon?

Any tips on where to find the mulies rather then the WT? I am assuming higher elevation coniferous forests/clear cutts.

How is the weather towards the end of Oct in this area?

Also what is in Rock Creek? is there gas station, grocery store, pizza place, pay phone, hotels? I am thinking it may be less of drive to rock creek than osoyoos from sidley meadows area.

thanks for any advice

Ok here it goes...

Rutt - Late October thru November

Mulie would be higher up but I've seen them in lower area once it start to snow.

Weather is Dry to Rainy, Occational thunder showers, could start snowing in higher elevation in late Oct to early Nov.

Rock Creek has gas stations, food, campsites and yadda yadda.

Good Luck.

dawn2dusk
07-04-2007, 03:07 PM
thanks 308!

Fisher-Dude
07-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Rock Cr is further from the Island than Osoyoos. You have to go through Osoyoos to get to Rock Cr, unless you do the Connector then down Hwy 33 from Kelowna. Way more whities than mulies in that country, but you should be able to find one. Look in the cuts, 3500 - 4500 ft elevation. Good luck!

Jelvis
07-04-2007, 04:28 PM
M.U. 8.1 ... U.S. Border to OK Falls >> Access roads from hwys 3 and 97: from Oliver via Fairview road (west) and Camp McKinney Road (east) The southern part of 8:1 several access roads from Hwy 3 above Osoyoos, 1st at 13k from Osoyoos then another 3k and 5k beyond that.... Camp Mckinney-Sidlley - Meadows-Mt Baldy (ski access) connect up with logging roads which run east from Okanagan Falls and Vaseux Lake pretty good deer, grouse and bears this area has some (open highland park lands) my friend, and you know what that means bro,... pleasant hiking and hunting, Keep it to yourself because others will try to confuse the info from dawn2usk and might not want to share. Jelly Roll >>> Mulies rut from October 23rd and on within a day or two, Mule deer like hilly country but you could see a doe anywhere on any backroad. Compare info here with a B.C. Rec Atlas or any good quality backroads book with BC Game MU Boundaries to be safe. Good luck hunter

hunter1947
07-04-2007, 07:07 PM
I stayed in rock creek town many of times ,the mulies doe's are so thick that you can walk on them. Head up the Christian valley to copper canyon ,you will fill your tag ,no problem. Lots of gas there and motels as well ,there is even a pub you can have a cold one as well as something to eat there.

ruger#1
07-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Rock creek , is not in region 8-01. it is in 8-12, 8-14. there are lots of mulies in area 8-01, for mulies from OK falls to the border. Mulies on the west side of the valley and mulies and whites on the east side. I also have mulie doe for 8-01 , in Oct.

browningboy
07-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Rock creek , is not in region 8-01. it is in 8-12, 8-14. there are lots of mulies in area 8-01, for mulies from OK falls to the border. Mulies on the west side of the valley and mulies and whites on the east side. I also have mulie doe for 8-01 , in Oct.

Thats what I was thinking as well?? How about that, I must be physcic:wink:

dawn2dusk
07-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Right on thanks guys for tips. Yes Rock Creek is outside 8-1. Was just wondering what services are there. What about Bridesville it is closer to osoyoos. DOes it have gas/pay phone?

Got the okanagon backroads book. And have been looking at some air photos of the area. Definitly will come prepared to hike. Will be looking for that 4+ mulie but if dont find him will take home some anterless meat.

I'm all giddy just thinkin about it.

Wildfoot
07-05-2007, 01:24 PM
bridesville has nothing. as far as i could tell. Its maybe a dozen houses along the highway.

highcountry88
07-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Hey Dawn2Dusk;
My kids and I have tried to draw a mulie doe in 8-1 for 10+ years and we have drawn zilch....I was glad to hear someone got a draw for this....way to go. We have hunted the Okanagan for years and here is a small tip for you.

If we wanted mulies, we always hunted the west side of the okanagan Valley, particularly the Fairview road heading west out of Oliver towards Cawston. Go up gravel road heading west till the almost the top till you see a gas line going off to the right. Lots of mulie does stay in this area at first and last light. If you want, take an immediate hard left (almost u-turn) and the road will run basically south with the Okanagan valley on you left and the Keremeos valley on your right.

The road is basically 2wd now but the road can get tight 3/4 of the way down towards Osooyoos and scratch the daylights out of your truck....quads go fine from here.
We always got onto the side hills in the dark and waited for the mulies to feed up at first light.
Lots of mulies have been taken out of this area, but less in the last few years....like always, hiking a ways off the road will get you away from the road hunters and produce more game. The whole area is a mixture of open grass and sagebrush mixed with trees. For the most part, the timber is not that dense and can produce decent shooting lanes.

For white-tails, we always head east of Oliver, with the white-tails typically at lower elevations and mulies up high, just like the others have posted..that is our experience anyway. But we all know that deer don't plan by our rules.

Have great hunt and good luck on the dow draw.

NEEHAMA
07-05-2007, 02:52 PM
hunt your mulie doe up in the steeper high slashes etc to get away from the whiteys. i see possibly 2 mulie does to 20 W/T does when i hunt rock creek. i really can't tell them appart until i'm right up close and have a good look at their tail and ears etc.

rock
07-05-2007, 04:35 PM

Right on ruger:)

dawn2dusk
07-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Hey highcountry88

thanks for tip about fairview that looks like a neat road. Checked on the orthophoto. I wasnt even thinking about going west but checked MU it does go over there to the height of land. I will have to go spend a few days exploring up around that power or gas line? I can see the right away on the ortho. Lots of little trails. Perfect cause i will have my little CT90 bike with me. Will post results/story in Nov.

Your time is over due for draw :neutral:

highcountry88
07-06-2007, 09:36 AM
No problem Dawn2dusk;
When going west from Oliver, once you get above Bear and Madden (i think the proper name is Ripley) lakes, there is an old burn on your right. It is a little rough for walking because of the downed trees, but there are plenty of access to get around on your CT90.....you can camp at the lakes and head out from there. The lakes are well marked when heading in.

The little CT90 will be great because there are of plenty of narrow trails (and between sagebrush) that even a quad can't get down.

In some years there is a lot cattle grazing on top (heading towards Osoyoos), but the upside of this is that they make some well defined trails to get you away from the pressure of road hunters.

The 2wd road along the top of the ridge will take you all the way to the old observatory on Mount Kabau and it is a very scenic hunt, even for a day of bombing around on the bike.

Have a good one.

dawn2dusk
07-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Right on. I was looking at those lakes with the thought of camping there and then do day trips out. SOme pretty impressive contours up there. I can appreciate how it would be scenic.

Many grouse?

highcountry88
07-06-2007, 01:29 PM
The are lots of gullies with willows on the way up to the top. My four kids and I have pulled lost of ruffies out of there.. For blues, we always head along the ridge to Kabau mountian above Osoyoos....when heading south from the Fairview road you will see a big pond on your right (the only one) and there is a gate/cattleguard...a trail will take you south of the pond on a big marked trail loop through the sagebrush and we always find lots of blues in the mix of trees and sagebrush. We have only got a few of 'em because they are so flighty...(I am not that great at taking them on the wing), plus mostly we are packing deer rifles. We always thought about taking one of the dogs up there to help us with the grouse, but there is fair amount of cactus (I don't know the name- the small spiny balls that seem walk up your leg).

Mckinney Creek Adventures
07-06-2007, 08:11 PM
bridesville has nothing. as far as i could tell. Its maybe a dozen houses along the highway.

What do you mean Bridesville has nothing!!!!!!!!

We are here... www.mckinneycreek.com (http://www.mckinneycreek.com)

But you are sort of right, we are 5 minutes from Bridesville, but classified as Rock City.

The Rock has just about all that you would need. The General Store is great. Nice bakery, beer, fresh produce, beer, gas, propane, beer, ice, etc. Oh ya and they have cold beer! Down to one motel now which is around four rooms I think, with a gas station and restaraunt near by. The good old Prospector Pub is a good place for entertainment on the right evenings. And the Kettle River is the best river to float, right now that is. We are getting cell service finally in a few weeks. What else do you need?

Oh ya, there is a Pay Phone in Brideville. Used to by right at the community hall. Now is down at the Canyon Bridge at the turn off to our place.

Dawn, Fairview is a good area for Mulies, but that is about it. More opportunities on the other side of the valley!

Go with what I told you and you are liable to run across something else aswell.

Wildfoot
07-06-2007, 08:57 PM
hey mckinny creek.. i was lookin for your place the other day... you are not along the highway eh?

- nevermind . just checked out the website. Cool. I may bring the g/f out and take a look! She works for the info centre here and she is always lookin for new places to send people to.

Wildfoot
07-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Rock Creek has amazing coffee too!

Osoyoos has horrible coffee.. dont even bother!

The barnwood & antique store can brew up a pretty good cup, but they get their beans from Cherry Hill in Kelowna.

There is an awesome organic roaster just accross the road from them that brews awesome coffee and it is produced locally! Check them both out for sure. I stopped in quite a few times to get my fix while lookin for bruins up the Christan Valley

07-06-2007, 09:24 PM
We are off the highway up the Mt. Baldy Road and off on the Alden Road 5 kms from the hwy. Follow the signs and stop in sometime if you like. We can always use some exposure.

We have some big signs on the highway. Did you see those?

The coffee is good in RC. Dolci has pretty good coffee too. They are friends of ours from up here.

Wildfoot
07-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Yah Dolci is pretty good. Their pita and hummus is awesome!

Haha I might have missed your big signs. I was worried about schmucking one of the billion deer along the roadside!

07-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Yah Dolci is pretty good. Their pita and hummus is awesome!

Haha I might have missed your big signs. I was worried about schmucking one of the billion deer along the roadside!

Yep the food is great. I dont get in there much cause I am a bush rat. I work and live in the mountains here and only get down town there for fuel it seems.

I have been seeing lots of elk this year though!

dawn2dusk
07-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks for all the info. everyone. I have started to gather info and formulate my plan of attack.

Will hit Bridevilles for beer and gas and tums when i run dry! pizza in bridesville? pizza the universal food for breakfast, lunch, dinner....

07-11-2007, 02:42 PM
YOu wont find what that stuff in Bridesville, you have to carry on to Rock Creek. Another 5-10 minutes.

MCA

one-shot-wonder
07-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Will hit Bridevilles for beer and gas and tums when i run dry! pizza in bridesville? pizza the universal food for breakfast, lunch, dinner....

If you really want pizza, head north of Rock creek 30 minutes to Beaverdell. The gas station on the east side of the highway has a mini bakery and the breakfast pizza is top notch! Just ask for a slice with out the green stuff on it. ;-)

07-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Prospector Pub has good pizza too. And the Rock Creek General Store has lots of goodies in the Deli.

MCA

dawn2dusk
07-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Right-o thanks boys.

Beer, Pizza, gas dont need much more for the short term.

dawn2dusk
10-16-2007, 03:24 PM
:wink:Four more days before i go back to gods country to harvest some meat. Have all my gear laid out. Going in real style this year. Will be taking the camper. Talk about deluxe accomadation. Roll the old CT out the back and away I go on another adventure.

Anyone been out hunting in 8-1 lately? Probably not much left by now eh except for the wise and the old :razz: I love a challenge and would nt have it any other way.

I have game camera and digital camera this year. SO will save lots of pics and post a story when I am done.

Anyone ever stayed here http://www.nkmip.com/rvpark.htm ???

Thinkin this looks like a good spot to come into town at the half way point in my trip and stay at, reload propane, shower-up, do some laundry etc. Only $25. THe one question i had was the showers are coin operated but the hot tub is free. WHo would pay for shower? :grin: I am half scottish after all

WoodOx
10-16-2007, 04:11 PM
have fun and good luck

sounds like the makings for a great trip